Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

John mcCartney

had a round at the Glen North Berwick(me old club) today in at least 20-30mph westerly draught.very pleasingly held it together for a 79 off the medal tees....at Torrance last week for an 80 ,never played that great altho enjoyed the course for the first time.greens not the best.
il get back there again soon tho,def worth the fees...all that and a couple of visits to the Old Course,Musselburgh have kept me going.
bought new irons when I was in at American Golf purchasing xmas present for me nephew....clocked a used but mint set
of Calloway X forged,project X pxi shafts,golf pride new decade grips....absolutely fakn delighted with them,metal is so soft
compared to me old Ap2`s...
been studying Ben Hogans book over the last few weeks and implementing stuff,all looking good for the year altho I reckon Ive run my course at Leven Links...kind of fancying a change at the moment and a course which has good practice facilities would be ideal

poss Haddington

Time to get the comp forms out n all

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently Haddington is going tits and is really struggling.

A fair few members have moved to my course and that's pretty much their words. Apparently the Pro has left too.

John mcCartney

punters allways sayin that about hadders chief......not doing any offers at the moment which leads me to think theyre doin allright.
its just below 500 for the subscription inc add ons at the mo....the offers in the past years were suggesting that they were screaming out for members right enough....

cant see john sandilands away from there either,reckon he`s in with the bricks that one

Cyprus Jambo

Apparently Haddington is going tits and is really struggling.

A fair few members have moved to my course and that's pretty much their words. Apparently the Pro has left too.

Haddington is fine - Pro is away but that was John's choice. Club have just invested in a lot of new machinery for the course. Wouldn't do that if going tits up. There was a story in the East Lothian Courier I believe but they were told to retract it (according to the clubs email). Dearest it's been for a while as it has now put a ?25 bar levy on (which most clubs have). Full membership around ?470. I moaned about the course middle of last year but you can see the work starting to come through already.

Haddington is fine - Pro is away but that was John's choice. Club have just invested in a lot of new machinery for the course. Wouldn't do that if going tits up. There was a story in the East Lothian Courier I believe but they were told to retract it (according to the clubs email). Dearest it's been for a while as it has now put a ?25 bar levy on (which most clubs have). Full membership around ?470. I moaned about the course middle of last year but you can see the work starting to come through already.

No worries. A group of around 8 or 9 guys all just shifted over and that was what they said to me. I've zero knowledge myself!

What will be happening for a Pro now?

John mcCartney

well done cyprus,that mean the pro shop being brought up a level ...

what is the difference at your place,greens?
what about the drainage around the 10th?
can you play off the medals at any time?

cheers

Cyprus Jambo

well done cyprus,that mean the pro shop being brought up a level ...

what is the difference at your place,greens?

what about the drainage around the 10th?

can you play off the medals at any time?

cheers

Pro Shop - hopefully but there is a distinct lack of space

Difference - Greens are getting better than they where in Sep 16 and the 10th is getting there. New bunker on 17th will hopefully help the green there (always soft). Work being done on a few tees.

Drainage 10th - apart from the green, never really a problem and green is getting better but not great (yet).

Medal Tees - Yes, as far as I'm aware.

Only think I don't think is that in winter we have mats for the fairways, I just can't hit a shot of them so I just move to the edge of the rough.

If you fancy joining let me know and I'll half my 'discount' with you :)

John mcCartney

ok cyprus,thank you

dont like em matty things as they are used at leven for 3 months as well.understandable though

food for thought anyway on the rest

Went to the range today, struck it a lot better, my new tour wrap grips arrived yesterday, white ;). I'll re grip them some time in the next week.

Went to the range today, struck it a lot better, my new tour wrap grips arrived yesterday, white ;). I'll re grip them some time in the next week.

Hawd the bus - WHITE grips on those AP2's????

I was so close to buying a set of JPX850s the other day. ?300 for a 4-PW set in American Golf.

Told myself I was going to get a custom fitted set this year though so didn't go for them in the end. The temptation was strong though. 

A man of good taste :thumbsup:

:lol: it's taken in shit light tbf!

I've got the same grip on my 56 degree vokey that I inherited from her dad, reckon I'll re-grip them all to match eventually.

Has anyone ever used Funkd grips? I was after some sky blue grips to match my bag (sad ******* I know :lol:) and they had some cracking looking grips in all sorts of colours. Inexpensive so wondered what the quality was like.

I had a funk'd putter grip a few years ago Liam, it was fairly poor quality.

Personally I would stick to golf pride, I picked up 7 of those grips posted above for 27 quid last week, already had my wedges in those grips, so just need to do my new irons.

I had a funk'd putter grip a few years ago Liam, it was fairly poor quality.

Personally I would stick to golf pride, I picked up 7 of those grips posted above for 27 quid last week, already had my wedges in those grips, so just need to do my new irons.

I thought as much, cheers.

Fwiw I've got blue iomic grips throughout the bag , higher end price wise but they're quality. I'm sure he said they were made for the tour players in humid Asia so they're super tacky.

jack D and coke

First round of the season this morning. Bit up and down tbh, a 7 and an 8 on the front nine but came back in 40 with 4 birdie chances missed. Not too unhappy tbh.

Was a nice day for it today.

Frustrating as **** that.

On course for beating the handicap, but finish like a coo.

:lol:

Indeed

That's with a birdie on the last aswell haha

Sitting on 1.5 so atleast I won't lose a shot.

Nightmare round today. Nothing worked. Normally it's one club or shot type but one drive would be great, next drive shite. Pin point wedge followed up by a chunk :lol:

One of those days.

Are Mizuno JPX 850's considered a decent club?

Like I've said, in the hunt for new irons next year, and like the look of these.

Of course, I could try them and they'd be about as much use as tits on a fish in my incapable hands. :(

My JPX850s are/were head and shoulders above anything else out there from last season. Durability is there as well with them as wellX

I've toyed with the idea of changing as I've gone from starting handicap of 15 down to 8 in a season and "thought I should play a better players club" (which is BS) but nothing can beat them.

Saying that, when using them with the stock XP shafts, they were atrocious in my hands and it was only when i switched to KBS tours that they were unbeatable.

Remember it's each to their own though and very subjective.

As an example my younger brother tried everything out there but the best turned out to be the Wilson Staff with stock DG Stiff shafts. He can't hit my Mizunos as well as he hits his and Vice Versa even with me being the better player.

I would highly recommend them but get your 6 iron and a JPX 6 iron on flightscope or trackman and get a comparison to give you an idea if they would suit or not.

My JPX850s are/were head and shoulders above anything else out there from last season.

At the risk of coming accross like an argumentative pedantic arsehole, the above statement is just nonsense.

Sure they might be really good clubs, but to claim they were head and shoulders above everything else is just a nonsense statement.

All the top manufacturers make irons as good as each other. All about personal preference thereafter. There is no magic iron that performs head and shoulders above the rest. Just doesn't exist. They're all stretching the technology within the rules to the limit.

Edited by Sten Guns

At the risk of coming accross like an argumentative pedantic arsehole, the above statement is just nonsense.

Sure they might be really good clubs, but to claim they were head and shoulders above everything else is just a nonsense statement.

All the top manufacturers make irons as good as each other. All about personal preference thereafter. There is no magic iron that performs head and shoulders above the rest. Just doesn't exist. They're all stretching the technology within the rules to the limit.

Absolutely agree.

I was at a meeting with work last week and got chatting to a former European Tour player and now coach, asked for some club advice as I was looking at several different wedges. His response was that there is very little difference between the main players.

It's very much what suits your game.

Yup, 90% of the battle is getting the correct shafts to suit your swing/set up. The other 10% is getting a head that when you pick the club up and look down over it at address, you know it's getting flushed.

Just my opinion ofcourse.

"Remember it's each to their own though and very subjective"

Apologies if that and other things were not clear in the previous post...

Edited by paleredfox

My JPX850s are/were head and shoulders above anything else out there from last season. Durability is there as well with them as wellX

I've toyed with the idea of changing as I've gone from starting handicap of 15 down to 8 in a season and "thought I should play a better players club" (which is BS) but nothing can beat them.

Saying that, when using them with the stock XP shafts, they were atrocious in my hands and it was only when i switched to KBS tours that they were unbeatable.

Remember it's each to their own though and very subjective.

As an example my younger brother tried everything out there but the best turned out to be the Wilson Staff with stock DG Stiff shafts. He can't hit my Mizunos as well as he hits his and Vice Versa even with me being the better player.

I would highly recommend them but get your 6 iron and a JPX 6 iron on flightscope or trackman and get a comparison to give you an idea if they would suit or not.

How have you managed this??!!!  Well done, that's very good going.

Absolutely! Chunking 7 shots off in a season is a lot of good golf.

I went from 19 to 11 in my first season back playing.

Single figures by early summer for sure. That's the goal.

A wee further update on Haddington GC if anyone is interested:

The professional taking over from John Sandilands is Scott Thomson - previously assistant at Balbirnie Park and Kirkcaldy as well as a spell at Dukes and St Andrews. Teaching post with John Jacobs in Hong Kong and more recently teaching in USA with a company called Golf Made Simple as worked with them in Spain.

Pro Shop will be extended by using the Club Managers exsisting office.

Course:Captain says it is probably as good as it has ever been for this time of year.

Winter course plan: 2nd medal tee - increased in size and will be ready for start of season. New bunker on 17th is now in play. On-going are the bunkers at 10 and 16 filled in. New enlarged tee at 11th will be built. New view point on 7th is finished.

Anyone interested in joining just let me know.

We really should get a Kickback outing on the go. 

Plenty folk members at golf clubs in the central belt, should be able to get something reasonably priced.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread