Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Had a few shots of my mates new Mizuno JPX 900 forged irons and absolutely flushed them every time.

Can't get them out my head now. :lol:

I was thinking about getting a set of these custom fitted next year.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking about getting a set of these custom fitted next year.

They are absolutely gorgeous. They're not big and chunky, but enough real estate to promote confidence. Think the satin finish and lack of chrome helped with that too.

They felt and sounded superb. I was hitting them further than my AP2's but that's probably because the lofts are stronger. That said they were still flying as high as I'd expect and they were still stopping.

Tempted for a fitting with Scott Gourlay next year if the misses allows it. :lol:

I'd imagine there are folk blending these with the tours in the lower irons or the hot metals in the higher ones.

Anybody got these non-tapered grips???

No but they are a bit of a waste of time anyway. If you get your clubs gripped you can ask for the lower end of the grip to be extra taped to ensure a thicker grip for your right hand.

Definitely going to upgrade the irons and maybe the wedges, Xmas present from the Mrs.

?500 budget (including trade in of existing irons).

Really like the look of the Cobra irons. Got a Fly Z hybrid and 3 wood and get on quite well with those.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Samuel Camazzola

I see the pro at Kingsknowe does Mizuno custom fitting. Anyone used him before?

If it's Kurt, then yes. He was pro at Lothianburn for years and is excellent. The Mizuno fitting process is simple but very effective. Their irons are superb and are an investment you'll not regret.

Samuel Camazzola

Definitely going to upgrade the irons and maybe the wedges, Xmas present from the Mrs.

?500 budget (including trade in of existing irons).

Really like the look of the Cobra irons. Got a Fly Z hybrid and 3 wood and get on quite well with those.

Where would you get a fitting for those if staying in Fife, Liam?

Where would you get a fitting for those if staying in Fife, Liam?

Either the pro at my club or there's Cluny or Wellsgreen. I'll likely go over to American Golf for the double trade in deal.

Samuel Camazzola

Either the pro at my club or there's Cluny or Wellsgreen. I'll likely go over to American Golf for the double trade in deal.

Cool. Do you know if American Golf conduct a fitting process which covers all brands or if they adapt a process provided by each club maker? i.e Mizuno use a method they call "DNA" and have their own fitting software and technology.

If it's Kurt, then yes. He was pro at Lothianburn for years and is excellent. The Mizuno fitting process is simple but very effective. Their irons are superb and are an investment you'll not regret.

His name is Chris Morris according to their website

morrisumm_1617123a.jpg

Edited by Ray Gin

Samuel Camazzola

They likely have several professionals up there but Kurt moved there about three years ago to be Head Pro. I can vouch for him if he is available.

Had a few shots of my mates new Mizuno JPX 900 forged irons and absolutely flushed them every time.

Can't get them out my head now. :lol:

Oh i got some fitted.. they are great..

I see the pro at Kingsknowe does Mizuno custom fitting. Anyone used him before?

Guys, is Kurt not in charge at Kings Acre, not Kingsknowe. He fitted me when at Lothianburn, can't fault the experience and did end up with Mizuno although I also tried others too.

Disser Pointon

For someone who's only ever bought clubs off the shelf, what is actually involved in a fitting?

If you're going to get fitted, Scott Gourlay at Craigmillar Park is your man. Most fitting sessions involve the use of trackman technology or the like to monitor your ball flight and strike pattern until you get the shaft and head combination that works best for you. In the majority of cases it won't cost you anything extra as long as you are buying a set at the end and I wouldn't buy a club now without fitting.

Samuel Camazzola

Guys, is Kurt not in charge at Kings Acre, not Kingsknowe. He fitted me when at Lothianburn, can't fault the experience and did end up with Mizuno although I also tried others too.

Apologies. My mistake, I had King's Acre in my head instead.

If you're going to get fitted, Scott Gourlay at Craigmillar Park is your man. Most fitting sessions involve the use of trackman technology or the like to monitor your ball flight and strike pattern until you get the shaft and head combination that works best for you. In the majority of cases it won't cost you anything extra as long as you are buying a set at the end and I wouldn't buy a club now without fitting.

I'm guessing you need a decent sized budget for a fitting? I'd be looking at around ?400 for a new set of irons.

Disser Pointon

I'm guessing you need a decent sized budget for a fitting? I'd be looking at around ?400 for a new set of irons.

Not necessarily, if you're honest about that at the outset I'm sure Scott would try to work within your budget.

Samuel Camazzola

My mizuno fitting cost me nothing extra Liam, I believe most if not all would be the same.

I even got two free mizuno wedges iirc.

Very good deal. Mizuno irons can cost ?110 to ?150 a time depending on spec so that's a bonus. I like the look of the new blue wedges Donald is using. They will likely be getting tried out soon.

:D. The most I ever paid for anything club wise was about ?300 for the Wilson Fat Shaft irons just after Paul Lawrie won The Open with them. Those were diabolical clubs too and well overpriced. God knows how he won with those. I generally buy everything as used for a bit of value. If I put serious money into golf gear I would need to play more to justify it and I can't be arsed. Probably down to about 20 rounds a year now and quite content with it.

Very good deal. Mizuno irons can cost ?110 to ?150 a time depending on spec so that's a bonus. I like the look of the new blue wedges Donald is using. They will likely be getting tried out soon.

This was years ago tbf, think I was around ?600 for the irons, 3-pw, mp-62's.

Scott Gourlay fitting here.

http://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=6CNESNrFRhM

Good clip that,

Top class service from Scott and his team.

He fitted me a little differently, I told him I wasn't that bothered knowing about the figures and numbers as it messes with my head and swing (the same reason I make sure I never see my swing from someone else's point of view). I also didn't want to know what he was fitting me with incase I was biased towards certain brands.

Ended up with a set of Callaway apex tours and they are tremendous.

Highly recomend

Good clip that,

Top class service from Scott and his team.

He fitted me a little differently, I told him I wasn't that bothered knowing about the figures and numbers as it messes with my head and swing (the same reason I make sure I never see my swing from someone else's point of view). I also didn't want to know what he was fitting me with incase I was biased towards certain brands.

Ended up with a set of Callaway apex tours and they are tremendous.

Highly recomend

Never heard anything but heaps of praise for Scott.

I'm definitely going to go to him when I get new irons.

Anyone fancy a set of 716 AP2's only few months old and cheap. :lol:

Looks lovely, got a great picture of the 6th at Castle Stuart the other day, but dunno how to post pictures, ( I've tried several times :lol:)

Hadn't played for pretty much all of October, had 3 games over the last week it's and the woods have turned to absolute shit!!

Connecting with the ground a good 4 inch before the ball and duffing it. 5 times today, not good!

Sounds like you're losing a lot of height on your downswing to hit so far behind the ball.

I mind watching brandon grace on that open programme sky had, it was about hitting the ball lower, by standing more upright and swinging easy. Might be worth a try to stop the duffs.

Hadn't played for pretty much all of October, had 3 games over the last week it's and the woods have turned to absolute shit!!

Connecting with the ground a good 4 inch before the ball and duffing it. 5 times today, not good!

Sounds like you're dipping into the ball a bit. Keep you're height

Oops, too slow, Irufushi has it covered

Edited by StSow

Played this morning in Horrific conditions. Soaking wet, constant 30mph northerly wind and freezing cold.

Had one of those comedy moments when my 8 iron flew out my hands and landed head first in the soft fairway. Thankfully I was past the section of the course with cliffs.

Team finished 2nd so was worth the hassle and hypothermia.

Now, a week away to gran canaria, without my clubs :42:

Cheers for the tips, it's come out of nowhere. Not having the issues with any other clubs, just the driver and 3 wood really.

Where were you playing StSow? I was playing Kinross and it was fine, cold like but dry and not overly windy.

I've tried to find the clip. Was on the open zone. No luck though.

I'll take a look. Though I booked a lesson a few weeks back for the end of November so I'm sure if it's still an issue then it'll get rectified.

I'll take a look. Though I booked a lesson a few weeks back for the end of November so I'm sure if it's still an issue then it'll get rectified.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/golf/10499021/the-open-zone-branden-grace

Found it. The tracer on his drive :wow:

Not exactly the perfect solution for your problem, but it may help, absolutely brilliant technique.

Cheers for the tips, it's come out of nowhere. Not having the issues with any other clubs, just the driver and 3 wood really.

Where were you playing StSow? I was playing Kinross and it was fine, cold like but dry and not overly windy.

Eyemouth mate, wind howling off the sea. Was the winter league so if we didn't bother playing we can basically say goodbye to our chances of winning overall. Infact, the only chance of us winning a week of the winter league is if the weathers horrendous.

Samuel Camazzola

Anyone a member of Newbattle? Looking for a round tomorrow and was wondering if they're using mats/winter greens?

This will be too late for your intended game today, but my mate advised that usual greens are on but he was unsure of the mat situation.

This will be too late for your intended game today, but my mate advised that usual greens are on but he was unsure of the mat situation.

Yeah we went to Murrayshall instead, booked the main course but it was winter greens when we turned up so we went on the Lynedoch course which was full greens.

Not a course for everyone but I loved it. Carved into the hill and it's a helluva climb but some of the holes were spectacular.

The new personal best 82 (+13) obviously helped matters!

Samuel Camazzola

Yeah we went to Murrayshall instead, booked the main course but it was winter greens when we turned up so we went on the Lynedoch course which was full greens.

Not a course for everyone but I loved it. Carved into the hill and it's a helluva climb but some of the holes were spectacular.

The new personal best 82 (+13) obviously helped matters!

I played The Lynedoch last year as part of the Bunkered offer and enjoyed it a lot. The elevated hole on the back 9 (possibly 15th) was a great hole. It's the one under 300 yards but the smart play is to lay up and pitch on rather than go for it due to the fairway being heavily tree-lined.

I think links golf is on the cards for the rest of the season as inland courses will be touch and go condition wise.

I played The Lynedoch last year as part of the Bunkered offer and enjoyed it a lot. The elevated hole on the back 9 (possibly 15th) was a great hole. It's the one under 300 yards but the smart play is to lay up and pitch on rather than go for it due to the fairway being heavily tree-lined.

I think links golf is on the cards for the rest of the season as inland courses will be touch and go condition wise.

It is the 15th yeah. I went hybrid and then a flick of a wedge as you say it's the smart play. Got a cracking picture of it, I'll try post it.

It become a bog as the rain got heavier, I don't think it'll be all that playable over the winter.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread