Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Don't mate :(, had a rough few weeks, girlfriend has been really ill, touring hospitals in Scotland has been our holiday, she's not allowed to fly for the foreseeable future either. Home now though, hopefully on the mend.

The weather in Glasgow was shite, if that's any help to you :lol:

Oh man, hope she's ok ... take her out for a few nice long walks on large neatly cut grass filled areas ;)

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh man, hope she's ok ... take her out for a few nice long walks on large neatly cut grass filled areas ;)

Cheers man.

Has anyone seen the Jason Day press conference tonight? Really sad to see him like that. Hopefully he gets back playing soon.

Cheers man.

Has anyone seen the Jason Day press conference tonight? Really sad to see him like that. Hopefully he gets back playing soon.

Just seen the photo of the press conference, decided not to watch it as the photo was really sad to see.

16 of us Just home from a week golfing in Spain. Played some quality tracks which were all unbelievably tight. The closest anyone got to their handicaps was 32 pts.

The hangovers didn't help either.

Samuel Camazzola

16 of us Just home from a week golfing in Spain. Played some quality tracks which were all unbelievably tight. The closest anyone got to their handicaps was 32 pts.

The hangovers didn't help either.

I'd love a golf trip again.

What part of Spain did you go to?

hmfc_liam06

We are thinking about it for next April. Prices coming in at ?250-?300 for 3 nights in Malaga, unlimited golf, flights and clubs.

Seems like a deal to me!

I might finally get my first round of the year in this weekend if the forecast stays decent. Fully expecting my swing to be an absolute shambles after not playing since October.

I might finally get my first round of the year in this weekend if the forecast stays decent. Fully expecting my swing to be an absolute shambles after not playing since October.

Jesus! That's a long time.

Good luck and enjoy the 3 putts. ;)

Jesus! That's a long time.

Good luck and enjoy the 3 putts. ;)

I was 3 putting when I was playing well. It's the 3-off-the-tee shots I'm more worried about. :lol:

Anyone played The Dukes, Muckhart or Elmwood?

Got them down as my 3 picks for the Golf Show.

Edited by Ray Gin

Samuel Camazzola

Played the Duke's several times. Great course but can play very long if wet. Cracking clubhouse with views looking down onto the bottom of the course and St Andrews.

Playing Muckhart this year as part of Bunkered offer.

hmfc_liam06

Muck art is a cracking course. It has 3 9's and they rotate between them to create 18 holes. It was originally an 18 hole but they created a new 9, the new 9 is weaker than the old 18.

Elmwood is where they train greenkeepers via the local college. Nice enough course, few really nice holes but I found it so-so.

Yet to play the Dukes but I've got a freebie there this year too.

hmfc_liam06

Courses I've got booked for either competition or bounce rounds this year. Looking like a tasty year!

St Michaels

Dunkeld & Birnam

Kilmarnock Barassie

Golf del Sur, Tenerife

Championship Course, Murrayshall

Arbroath

Ladybank

Drumoig

Ballumbie Castle

Hirsel

Kelso

Roxburghe

The Dukes, St Andrews

Alyth

New Course, St Andrews

Beach Course, 13th Beach, Melbourne

Hilton Park

Montrose

Scotscraig

Boat of Garten

Montgomerie Course, Kinross

John mcCartney

quite intrigued about elmwood,think theres a national training centre there and pete arnott out of craigmillar park does
schools there.....must be a good course surely

id better start getting me forms sent out again altho im planning on enjoying the game again rather than playing comps all the time
this year.

goin goswick and panmure this year for sure

hmfc_liam06

quite intrigued about elmwood,think theres a national training centre there and pete arnott out of craigmillar park does

schools there.....must be a good course surely

id better start getting me forms sent out again altho im planning on enjoying the game again rather than playing comps all the time

this year.

goin goswick and panmure this year for sure

There's a cracking par 3, think it may be towards the end of the course, 15th maybe. It's not a memorable course overall though I'd say. Couple of years since I've played it mind you but nothing else really sticks out. Just a decent course.

Went to a place called El rompido in andalusia. Actually flew to faro in Portugal and was about 1 hour away into Spain. The 2 courses on the resort were excellent, designed round an estuary. but the highlight was a course called Isla cannela. A really classy course which you had to shape the ball of the tee to have a reasonable length approach. Only shot 28 points but still sat in the clubhouse chuffed to bits.

Also played an olazabal design which I forget the name of. Was only 5 years old or so and you could tell it was still a bit young, scruffy round the edges.

Edited by StSow

Boat of garten always gets rave reviews Liam, I regrettably haven't played it before, will be playing it this year, always fills up quickly when they have opens.

hmfc_liam06

Boat of garten always gets rave reviews Liam, I regrettably haven't played it before, will be playing it this year, always fills up quickly when they have opens.

It's been on my must play list, never heard a single bad thing about it. Only ?48 for a team of 4 for their scramble. Well worth the drive up at that price.

It's been on my must play list, never heard a single bad thing about it. Only ?48 for a team of 4 for their scramble. Well worth the drive up at that price.

Aye, good price that.

Had a really enjoyable 9 holes at Ullapool, iron play was good and my putting, less said about my tee shots / chipping the better :lol: managed 2 birdies though!

Anyone played Kilmarnock Barassie? Playing there next Monday, ?120 for a fourball in April.

Looks tricky :lol:

Aye! My mates a member, it's a great course!! Par 3 4th is a peach, enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Only managed the 9 holes yesterday afternoon. As predicted, my swing is an absolute shambles after not playing for months.

1st tee - skulled a 3 wood about 50 yards.  :lol:  

Only managed the 9 holes yesterday afternoon. As predicted, my swing is an absolute shambles after not playing for months.

1st tee - skulled a 3 wood about 50 yards. :lol:

Haha. Excellent.

Won't take long to shake off the dust. I hope. Lol

hmfc_liam06

Aye! My mates a member, it's a great course!! Par 3 4th is a peach, enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Nice one! It's another course off the bucket list, hopefully I keep the score respectable :lol:

Can't believe I've sat on my arse for almost 5 months, every year I say I'll stick to it and try keep my game in a decent place but every year I'm a mess going into the first medal of the year! Tee off booked for Sat and I've not hit a single ball since the last few days of October. Anyone got any tips for how's best to get ready for Sat? I'm workign every day this week except Friday lol

hmfc_liam06

Can't believe I've sat on my arse for almost 5 months, every year I say I'll stick to it and try keep my game in a decent place but every year I'm a mess going into the first medal of the year! Tee off booked for Sat and I've not hit a single ball since the last few days of October. Anyone got any tips for how's best to get ready for Sat? I'm workign every day this week except Friday lol

I wouldn't worry about it, played all winter looking for get my tee shots in order and they're still a mess! 33% fairways on Friday!

Don't do what I did and hope for the best. Get to the range first!

Aye there is no doubt I'd be hitting as many balls as possible from now, 200 balls a night and putting in the house to get the stroke going (just distance control on the carpet).

Can't wait for this weekends first medal, this winter has been the most I've played ... this is where golf draws you in for a huge fall!!!

My bag for the coming season.

Promised myself no more changes for a good while. :lol:

DSSuvsO.jpg

Nice to see a bag in nice order, I have mates who fire any club in any slot, drives me mad :no:

Samuel Camazzola

DSSuvsO.jpg

I bet the pockets are filled with Pinnacles and Dunlop 65i's now that you've blown a small fortune on the sticks! Ha ha.

Impressive clubs!

DSSuvsO.jpg

Looks great ... I'm kind of wincing at the lack of head covers! (although I know this is just for the photo)

I went set wedge (46 deg) then Vokey 52, 56 and 60, I find the jump from set wedge to 52 too big, I need to learn to choke the set wedge down.  Your set up would suit me better.

Love the 816 hybrid, probably the best club in my bag in terms of being able to hit it from 180-200 and actually shape it too.

Pity we couldn't have a table on this thread to track handicaps during the season to see how we're all doing.

Looks great ... I'm kind of wincing at the lack of head covers! (although I know this is just for the photo)

I went set wedge (46 deg) then Vokey 52, 56 and 60, I find the jump from set wedge to 52 too big, I need to learn to choke the set wedge down. Your set up would suit me better.

Love the 816 hybrid, probably the best club in my bag in terms of being able to hit it from 180-200 and actually shape it too.

Pity we couldn't have a table on this thread to track handicaps during the season to see how we're all doing.

I used to have a 52,56,60 and found the distance gap between my PW and 52 GW ridiculous. Feels much better now moving to 50,54,58.

DSSuvsO.jpg

Nice looking bag that,

How do you find the Callaway driving iron thingy? Was tempted to get something along those lines a wee while back

Nice looking bag that,

How do you find the Callaway driving iron thingy? Was tempted to get something along those lines a wee while back

Love it mate. It's so so easy to hit compared to the 4 iron I had in the 716 AP2 set.

Very forgiving and flies high too. Looking down it has a decent sized footprint that gives you confidence too.

hmfc_liam06

I went set wedge (46 deg) then Vokey 52, 56 and 60, I find the jump from set wedge to 52 too big, I need to learn to choke the set wedge down. Your set up would suit me better.

What's happened to your 915H? I want :lol:

I'm also thinking I've made a mistake with going 52/56 Vokeys as I just can't get the same numbers out my 52 than I could out my old 52 TaylorMade Z Spin.

What's happened to your 915H? I want :lol:

I'm also thinking I've made a mistake with going 52/56 Vokeys as I just can't get the same numbers out my 52 than I could out my old 52 TaylorMade Z Spin.

My dads got it! THE most painful transition of a club ever, duck hooked EVERYTHING, and if I didnt I topped it.

Interesting on the TM v Vokey ...

Edited by Armageddon

I've had a good few hits with my new irons now, was at the range yesterday and was absolutely crisping them, hard to say for sure, but I reckon I'm a half a club longer at the least.

What I will say was they don't come close in terms of feel compared to my old mizuno's, I was playing with my mate in Ullapool (who I sold my Mizuno's to) and I forgot how good they feel when striking.

Both lovely clubs though, even though the mizuno's are a fair age now.

hmfc_liam06

My dads got it! THE most painful transition of a club ever, duck hooked EVERYTHING, and if I didnt I topped it.

Interesting on the TM v Vokey ...

Boooo!!

I used to get around 100 yard out the TM but I'm struggling at that distance with the Vokey and having to go with an easy PW instead. I'm hitting the 56 sweet as though.

Boooo!!

I used to get around 100 yard out the TM but I'm struggling at that distance with the Vokey and having to go with an easy PW instead. I'm hitting the 56 sweet as though.

I'm the same, if I'm faced with 100-105 then the conditions have to be all in my favour.

Anybody know of a way to STOP buying golf gear?  These are arriving tomorrow in time for my 40 over par opening round on Saturday.

lunar-control-4-wide-womens-golf-shoe.jp

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread