Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Nice set up Sten :thumbsup:

I'm almost there with my equipment, just new wedges away from being happy.

Callaway X Hot driver

Titleist 915F fairway wood

Titleist 915H 3 hybrid (cheers Armageddon)

Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW

TaylorMade Z Spin 52?

Titleist Vokey 56?

Cleveland Classic putter

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just bought the 915F from the local range, new for ?100.

Question - did yours come with a tool? They are saying the 3 wood doesn't.

Bought mine with the matching driver and rescue so only got 1 for them all. I'd think you should get one though

Callaway X Hot driver

Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW

TaylorMade Z Spin 52?

Titleist Vokey 56?

Cleveland Classic putter

Nice mate. However that's some distance gap you'll have between your PW and Gap Wedge?

The 716 AP1 PW is a strong 43 degrees, so you've got a 9 degree jump until your GW.

48, 54, 60 could be a decent wedge set up for you. Or even a 50 and 56 if you wanted only 2.

Edited by Sten Guns

Nice mate. However that's some distance gap you'll have between your PW and Gap Wedge?

The 716 AP1 PW is a strong 43 degrees, so you've got a 9 degree jump until your GW.

48, 54, 60 could be a decent wedge set up for you. Or even a 50 and 56 if you wanted only 2.

Yeah I'm still getting to grips with distances with the new irons. I generally get 100 yards max with my 52? with the PW going around 110-120 so the gap isn't all that much with me.

I've got a cheap shitty 60? that I use now and then so it would probably be 52/56/60 if I was getting new ones.

Yeah I'm still getting to grips with distances with the new irons. I generally get 100 yards max with my 52? with the PW going around 110-120 so the gap isn't all that much with me.

I've got a cheap shitty 60? that I use now and then so it would probably be 52/56/60 if I was getting new ones.

If you're getting 100 yards out a 52 I'd honestly have expected you to be getting around 135 easy out a 43 degree cavity backed wedge.

If you're getting 100 yards out a 52 I'd honestly have expected you to be getting around 135 easy out a 43 degree cavity backed wedge.

I probably will get up to around 125-130 once I get to grips with the new irons, winter probably isn't the best time to be judging distances either.

Distances are obviously when I connect...that's all too rare! :lol:

I'll likely hang off until the middle/end of next year for a new set of wedges.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Callaway X Hot driver

Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW

TaylorMade Z Spin 52?

Titleist Vokey 56?

Cleveland Classic putter

You missed out not taking the Vokey SM6 deal!!

Only the Titleist driver comes with the wrench, pick one up off eBay for a fiver.

post-29409-14829622464505_thumb.jpg

This is my bag, I'll need to replace my wedges next year, happy with my gear, can't see me replacing my driver and 3 wood anytime soon.

The hybrids (19/23 degree)and putter (Newport 1.5)have helped me massively the past season, cut 2 shots having them. Aim is to get cut another 2 and be a 2 handicap player by the end of the upcoming season.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DSC_0155.JPG

This is my bag, I'll need to replace my wedges next year, happy with my gear, can't see me replacing my driver and 3 wood anytime soon.

The hybrids (19/23 degree)and putter (Newport 1.5)have helped me massively the past season, cut 2 shots having them. Aim is to get cut another 2 and be a 2 handicap player by the end of the upcoming season.

Look at those bad boy irons!!!

Here was my bag yesterday before Archerfield.

I've a gap between the set wedge and my 52 then my 4 iron is a risk but my Hybrid is very strong so there's a huge weak point between 170-200. Putter is a Scotty Fastback.

Only thing I want now is a Titleist tour bag.

post-737-0-79328900-1482963445_thumb.jpg

Never taken to titliest woods, got given a driver and a 3 wood 2 seasons ago, was hopeless with them :(

Loads of folk are going with the low spinning M2, my only Titleist concern sometimes is the height they fly, but that's how they're designed, I love the quality, look and consistency of Titleist. I HATE the constant release volume of gear TaylorMade go through.

Samuel Camazzola

For me, I find a 60 is a waste of a club in the bag. Unless I master (and have the full confidence to pull off) the Mickelson lob shots or playing out if links style pot bunkers, I don't think the club is necessary. 56 max is suitable.

I much prefer to carry a Mizuno 1 iron or an extra hybrid.

You missed out not taking the Vokey SM6 deal!!

Only the Titleist driver comes with the wrench, pick one up off eBay for a fiver.

I know :lol:

I've spent enough lately, wedges will have to wait.

For me, I find a 60 is a waste of a club in the bag. Unless I master (and have the full confidence to pull off) the Mickelson lob shots or playing out if links style pot bunkers, I don't think the club is necessary. 56 max is suitable.

I much prefer to carry a Mizuno 1 iron or an extra hybrid.

I've got a strong grip so I tend to close the clubface, the 60 comes in handy for me.

I had set out to reach 50 courses played by the end of this year, absolutely gutted to finish on 49!

*Unless I somehow sneak a round in somewhere before Sunday.

That's good going though, even still.

Haven't played them all this year like, I think I was at around 25 courses played.

What makes it worse is I had a round arranged at Crail Craighead last Saturday only for my mate to pull out!

Forfar and Pitlochry have been my favourite courses played this year.

Aiming to hit 70 by end of next year now. Definitely have to get more Edinburgh/Lothians courses played, barely played any.

Bruntsfield

Broomieknowe

Silverknowes

Niddry Castle

Pumpherston

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Played forfar as a kid, qualified for something as a junior, remember the first fairway was like a ploughed field? is that right? All wavey?

Played forfar as a kid, qualified for something as a junior, remember the first fairway was like a ploughed field? is that right? All wavey?

I've got a picture of the first somewhere, I'll dig it out.

Lots of undulations for a parkland course, I really enjoyed it there.

The 1st fairway at Forfar.

31982117555_b6b8181145_k.jpg

Edited by hmfc_liam06

You played yet???!!!

Nah! :lol:, back to work last few days, not left the house apart from going to work, not played in 2 months. Not gonna be pretty when I do go to the range.

Had a go with my new irons today, wasn't expecting much after two months without hitting a ball, took my mizuno 4 iron to compare it with the titliest 4 iron.

although I didn't strike many well the titliest is a lot more forgiving, also the difference in flight was a big surprise, couldn't believe how low my mizuno went in comparison.

Will be putting mid size grips on them though, felt like I was holding a pencil :lol:

They'll definitely improve my game, better judging them in a few months when I'll be playing more.

Samuel Camazzola

Had a go with my new irons today, wasn't expecting much after two months without hitting a ball, took my mizuno 4 iron to compare it with the titliest 4 iron.

although I didn't strike many well the titliest is a lot more forgiving, also the difference in flight was a big surprise, couldn't believe how low my mizuno went in comparison.

Will be putting mid size grips on them though, felt like I was holding a pencil :lol:

They'll definitely improve my game, better judging them in a few months when I'll be playing more.

With regards to the flight/trajectory, are the brands of shafts different on the two clubs? I have KBS on my Mizuno's and find I hit a higher ball with these compared to the Titleist's which had True Temper shafts.

Glad to hear you got off to a good start! The Titleist does fly much higher and the idea is they drop steeper onto the green and stop with longer irons.

With regards to the flight/trajectory, are the brands of shafts different on the two clubs? I have KBS on my Mizuno's and find I hit a higher ball with these compared to the Titleist's which had True Temper shafts.

Both the same shafts. Mizuno's are pretty much blades though, so understandable that they go lower.

Are Mizuno JPX 850's considered a decent club?

Like I've said, in the hunt for new irons next year, and like the look of these.

Of course, I could try them and they'd be about as much use as tits on a fish in my incapable hands. :(

You can't really go wrong with mizuno's, arguably the best iron makers imo.

Anyone been playing much over the winter? 

I've been making it my mission to keep it going, had 13 rounds over 9 weeks with an average score of +16 so it bodes well if I can keep that going. My first year of competition last year and I went at it all wrong, playing Opens and only 5 competitions at my home club. This year I'm aiming at 1 home competition a week. I've moved to a club that run 4 competitions a week so plenty chances to get that handicap down.

In a word, no :lol: haven't played a round since the end of October, range today was the first hit of a ball since.

Definitely need to get out this weekend if the weather is decent.

You ever in work? You're a machine. :lol:

Haha! I've managed one round each weekend and 4 rounds over the Xmas period.

It's all I do tbh, don't really go out drinking etc so the wife is understanding haha

Edited by hmfc_liam06

In a word, no :lol: haven't played a round since the end of October, range today was the first hit of a ball since.

Definitely need to get out this weekend if the weather is decent.

Saturday is meant to be nice, down here anyway.

Barely played this winter. Finding it harder to tolerate the freezing notherly winds in my old age.

I have been sounding out some spring/summer opens on golf empire however.

It's only January :sad3:

Samuel Camazzola

I've been making it my mission to keep it going, had 13 rounds over 9 weeks with an average score of +16 so it bodes well if I can keep that going. My first year of competition last year and I went at it all wrong, playing Opens and only 5 competitions at my home club. This year I'm aiming at 1 home competition a week. I've moved to a club that run 4 competitions a week so plenty chances to get that handicap down.

Have you moved away from Aberdour or is this the club you're referring to?

Have you moved away from Aberdour or is this the club you're referring to?

Yeah I'm leaving Aberdour, they only have 1 competition a week. Just moved to Lochgelly, not as good a course but it's 5 minutes from the house and 4 competitions a week.

It's also only ?250 for my first year.

Wish I could rediscover the same desire to play as much as some of you, especially over the winter.

Maybe next year...

This is the first winter I've kept going.

I'd hit a bit of form in September/October and wanted to keep it going into next season. It helps there's about 10 of us available for rounds so there's always someone to play with.

Samuel Camazzola

Yeah I'm leaving Aberdour, they only have 1 competition a week. Just moved to Lochgelly, not as good a course but it's 5 minutes from the house and 4 competitions a week.

It's also only ?250 for my first year.

That's a really good rate. What will be the price of the annual subs going forward?

For the same price, I'm looking at getting a second membership at the Fairmont. It includes ten rounds and four spa passes (to keep the other half happy). Ideal for a change of track once a month or so.

That's a really good rate. What will be the price of the annual subs going forward?

For the same price, I'm looking at getting a second membership at the Fairmont. It includes ten rounds and four spa passes (to keep the other half happy). Ideal for a change of track once a month or so.

?250 first year

?325 second year

?395 thereafter

I like to sample other courses so a cheap sub is ideal for me.

My winter golf has consisted of Archerfield, Gullane 3, Renaissance Club, Torrance in St. Andrews and the Old Course. I've still 5 rounds at the St A Fairmont to use before the end of March.

Samuel Camazzola

?250 first year

?325 second year

?395 thereafter

I like to sample other courses so a cheap sub is ideal for me.

Good rates all round. The Fife clubs get their pricing right and generally a better quality of course found there.

My winter golf has consisted of Archerfield, Gullane 3, Renaissance Club, Torrance in St. Andrews and the Old Course. I've still 5 rounds at the St A Fairmont to use before the end of March.

Show off :lol:

Good rates all round. The Fife clubs get their pricing right and generally a better quality of course found there.

Agreed.

Most memberships are around the ?500 mark, even at higher end courses.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread