Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Was looking forward to it this year but it lands on the same weekend of a mates stag do.

Hopefully this weather holds for this weekend, desperate for a game. Bought a membership at Aberdour and purchased some new gear and gadgets so I'm itching!

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've nirmally been a taylormade man when it comes to my drivers even had a couple of Pings.

But the Callaway Big Bertha, double black diamond is the best driver I've owned.

Took full advantage of the glorious weather this weekend.

Posted a -1 score on Saturday and a -6 today. Only my 2nd and 3rd rounds of the year so delighted with that, promising start.

Samuel Camazzola

Was looking forward to it this year but it lands on the same weekend of a mates stag do.

Hopefully this weather holds for this weekend, desperate for a game. Bought a membership at Aberdour and purchased some new gear and gadgets so I'm itching!

Did you go for a GPS?

Good stuff.

I'll hopefully get one this season.

I wish I'd got one sooner, the G2 definitely updates as you walk the course so you never need to manually change hole etc. Though sometimes it does get a bit confused if the course you're playing is a bit criss-cross at times as I found on Saturday but then you can manually change it at a click of a button.

Samuel Camazzola

It was the S3 I had in mind as one of my playing partners has it and sung its praises.

Will pick up one in the coming weeks and see what's on offer.

jack D and coke

I wish I'd got one sooner, the G2 definitely updates as you walk the course so you never need to manually change hole etc. Though sometimes it does get a bit confused if the course you're playing is a bit criss-cross at times as I found on Saturday but then you can manually change it at a click of a button.

What did you pay for one mate if you don't mind me asking?

What did you pay for one mate if you don't mind me asking?

?110 from American Golf, got them to price match another site as I had a voucher to use with them.

So much handier than arsing about with a phone app.

jack D and coke

?110 from American Golf, got them to price match another site as I had a voucher to use with them.

So much handier than arsing about with a phone app.

[emoji1360]

That's about what I seen it for. Or ?105 to be exact.

Good though aye?

[emoji1360]

That's about what I seen it for. Or ?105 to be exact.

Good though aye?

Yeah I'm already wondering how I got by without one and that's after 2 rounds! I assumed that I'd have to click a button to display distances each time but it just continually updates which is a big plus as you don't have to mess around with it, just a quick glance and you've got the distance.

Great for knowing how far you've hit your shot too (with a quick calculation, higher end models actually have this built in) - I'm a proper statto so love that kind of thing. I've not really played around with the dog-leg feature as my course doesn't really have any.

For ?105 I'd say snap it up.

jack D and coke

Yeah I'm already wondering how I got by without one and that's after 2 rounds! I assumed that I'd have to click a button to display distances each time but it just continually updates which is a big plus as you don't have to mess around with it, just a quick glance and you've got the distance.

Great for knowing how far you've hit your shot too (with a quick calculation, higher end models actually have this built in) - I'm a proper statto so love that kind of thing. I've not really played around with the dog-leg feature as my course doesn't really have any.

For ?105 I'd say snap it up.

[emoji1360]

Looking to buy some new irons soon. Since taking up the game last year I have been using my mate's old Cobra's. They're pretty old.

Have narrowed it down to, I think, the following.

Callaway X-R

Ping G

Taylor Made M2

Nike Vapor Fly

Ping's probably in the lead with Nike's at the back of the queue. Anyone any experience of them and have any advice? Consider me pretty much a beginner ability wise.

If you can go and get fitted for TaylorMade at Kingsfield or Nike's at Archerfield. It is well worth it. I done taylormade fitting last year and it was ?40.

Samuel Camazzola

Looking to buy some new irons soon. Since taking up the game last year I have been using my mate's old Cobra's. They're pretty old.

Have narrowed it down to, I think, the following.

Callaway X-R

Ping G

Taylor Made M2

Nike Vapor Fly

Ping's probably in the lead with Nike's at the back of the queue. Anyone any experience of them and have any advice? Consider me pretty much a beginner ability wise.

See a pro and get custom fitted. He'll keep you right. I got Mizuno's through a custom fitting and wish I did it years before.

See a pro and get custom fitted. He'll keep you right. I got Mizuno's through a custom fitting and wish I did it years before.

I was considering fitting but I'm just not sure I want to. I found the old thread on here and got the feeling that it was only really worthwhile if you were pretty serious about the game. I just want to play to a reasonable standard. Folk have managed decades without it. How long does it take?

hmfc_liam06

I was considering fitting but I'm just not sure I want to. I found the old thread on here and got the feeling that it was only really worthwhile if you were pretty serious about the game. I just want to play to a reasonable standard. Folk have managed decades without it. How long does it take?

Pretty sure American Golf do free fitting. If you're not fussed for the fitting just go in and have a swing at a few different models and go for the one that feels best.

I'm planning on changing irons this year, probably this month.. I was fitted for mizunos before and they were great. But they are over 8 years old now and have lost all their zip and length... No idea what to get but will 100% be getting fitted..

Samuel Camazzola

From my experience, it's definitely worthwhile and very important. It may turn out that standard, off the shelf clubs will suit you but you may need thicker grips which can make a huge difference. The fitting cost is usually waived if you choose to buy the clubs from them.

Samuel Camazzola

Went and got fitted this morning. TaylorMade M2's ordered.

Good stuff. You'll benefit from the fitting.

Played today. Started birdie, double bogie, birdie, birdie.. Only 1 par the whole round, another 2 birdies... Loads of bunkers and about 7 three putts.. 82, scratch.. Head is minced

hmfc_liam06

Played today. Started birdie, double bogie, birdie, birdie.. Only 1 par the whole round, another 2 birdies... Loads of bunkers and about 7 three putts.. 82, scratch.. Head is minced

Played twice last weekend, 44 putts on Saturday and 32 putts Sunday. Same course. Mind boggles.

The Mighty Thor

To be fair the weather today was brutal!

Medal at Dunbar and some of the pin locations were impossible in a strong north wind.

81 blows although I believe scoring was so bad it was RO :thumb:

First game since October today.

Omg what has happened to my swing? :sob:

I haven't played since the end of July :lol: rip swing.

Cyprus Jambo

Off to West Linton on Friday.............anyone been. Any concerns, tight driving etc? Any helpful knowledge greatful.

I'd be up for anther.. There are some videos of it on my you tube channel... Very fun, drunken days / nights out.. Pulled into the diggers after one... Was mental.

Has there ever been a Kickback outing? Could be a good laugh if we got enough bodies.

I'd play, but I live too far away, gives someone else a chance of winning ;)

hmfc_liam06

I'm a member at Aberdour in Fife, nice little course and could get us a cracking deal there - easy to get to as well with a train station a five minute walk away.

Everybody loves Baz

3 or 4 but a few years back. Bigsmak was the boy for organising.

Everyonelovesbaz never one any.

I was cheated. By chestercopperknob.

Just got an email from Hearts. apparently, you can get a 4 ball for 100 blabs @ Dalamhoy, if you're a ST Holder. valid till dec 31 2016??

Just bought myself a new set of clubs Marky boy, I'll be looking for a game up Haddington shortly :-)

Edited by Everybody loves Baz

Just got an email from Hearts. apparently, you can get a 4 ball for 100 blabs @ Dalamhoy, if you're a ST Holder. valid till dec 31 2016??

Thanks for the heads up

Disser Pointon

Won the outing to Strathmore today with 41 points then Arsenal and Hibs get beat..................if Carlsberg did Sunday's!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A shot short of my PB today, much improved on last week now the cobwebs have been blown off.

Had several fluffed pitch shots though, I'm awful from the 40-80 yards range.

Off to West Linton on Friday.............anyone been. Any concerns, tight driving etc? Any helpful knowledge greatful.

I have been and I absolutely loved it, stay out the heather as it's brutal!! Greens were solid and didn't hold but that was in the height of summer so must be soft.

Eyemouth yesterday - why have I never played there before??? Amazing test and the place was heaving, excellent condition and the wind was WILD!! Hitting driver to a 163 yard par 3 and leaving it short EEK

hmfc_liam06

5 games over the last 3 weeks and gradually getting worse :lol:

All 5 rounds I've just not got going off the tee, yesterday was abysmal. Was also slicing almost every shot until I was in wedge range...where is then put it stiff, every time!

Worst of it is, I never slice, ever! My bad shot has always been a hook!

5 games over the last 3 weeks and gradually getting worse :lol:

All 5 rounds I've just not got going off the tee, yesterday was abysmal. Was also slicing almost every shot until I was in wedge range...where is then put it stiff, every time!

Worst of it is, I never slice, ever! My bad shot has always been a hook!

V's on your grip - make sure both are aiming to your right shoulder.

Don't sway your hips on the back swing - make sure they turn - your left hip shouldn't move to the right.

On the take away - make sure the club isn't on the inside - here's a drill to help (although it's more for a block)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89crO_enk6E

Edited by Armageddon

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread