Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

13 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

Thinking about changing next year to Balbirnie, has anyone played it this year and thinks it's a good course?

Not played it this year but I have played it loads - it's not the easiest of walks, especially when its wet, it can be a bit of a brute.

Greens were always known to be very good but last time I played it I was a bit disappointed. I'm sure @Samuel Camazzola is/was a member there.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The question is, who would genuinely be up for it? Realistically we need a minimum of 8-10, with a sweet spot of 16-20.

If folk put their names forward I'd be more than happy to look into it. 

It would likely be Edinburgh/Fife for ease of access for majority. 

Some rough idea of costs after a quick glance at some Fife courses.

All include breakfast rolls, 18 holes and a 2 course meal.

Pitreavie - £58
Aberdour - £68
Dunfermline - £64

Disser Pointon

I'd be interested if the date suited. Think we could do better than those 3 though although I quite like Aberdour..

Edited by Disser Pointon

1 hour ago, Disser Pointon said:

I'd be interested if the date suited. Think we could do better than those 3 though although I quite like Aberdour..

I'd had 2 things in mind when I looked at those courses - cost and travel. Certainly Pitreavie and Aberdour with them being on the train route, if folk didn't want to drive and have a bevvy and they're all just over the bridge if folk were to drive.

I also don't drive, and I'm Fife based so if I'm going to the trouble of arranging then.... :lol:

To be honest, course is usually secondary at these things. As long as they're in good nick, which you'd expect so given we'd probably be looking at next summer.

32 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm sure I could get us on Pumphy for half those figures

Just depends if folk want to play at their home course? No issues with it if it’s cheaper but just in case everyone wanted an away day.

4 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I organised 3 outings in the 2000s and they were a pain to do!   But were great fun when we did them! 

I used to run a society, we finished up about 8 years ago because I’d had enough. Even then prices for average places were creeping up to the £50 mark. Reality is you’re probably looking at £60+ for an outing unless a member gets us a class deal. 

It’s not easy, and guess that’s why it’s never happened again.

Pasquale for King

Rahm quite young to retire, hope he enjoyed his 3 Ryder Cups. Theres no guarantees that he will play the majors he has qualified for, rules can be changed. 
Years of slating them now he joins. 

Disser Pointon
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Rahm quite young to retire, hope he enjoyed his 3 Ryder Cups. Theres no guarantees that he will play the majors he has qualified for, rules can be changed. 

Very disappointing. Interesting times ahead

Rahm:- 

Basque-born Rahm said the money he was being offered by LIV was "great" but maintained that he does "not play golf for the money".:rofl:

He continued: "I play golf for the love of the game and for the love of golf. I'm an ambitious person but I'm not a greedy one.:rofl::rofl:

Ok, of your £450 mill signing on fee, take 10 and give the rest to charity, already a multi-millionaire...boak! 🤢

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He'll be fine with the majors. They have five of the best players in the World now with more to come. Matsuyama will come in soon and expect to see one or two top 15 players follow.

I wonder what's going to happen to the journeymen who joined LIV, will they be welcomed back onto the main tour? Will they have to earn Tour cards etc? 

Some of them will have earned more in two years than 10 years on the Tour so will probably be OK.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

I wonder what's going to happen to the journeymen who joined LIV, will they be welcomed back onto the main tour? Will they have to earn Tour cards etc? 

Some of them will have earned more in two years than 10 years on the Tour so will probably be OK.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/dp-world-tour-gives-liv-golf-star-full-membership/

44 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's fair enough for the ones who didn't resign their membership but the likes of Westwood, Marcia et al did. They are on the wane and unlikely to provide as much commercial presence as Rahm and who ever will follow him.

If another couple of major winners or Top 20 players sign up then I can see some of the older boys heading to the scrapheap.

Samuel Camazzola

Westwood and Poulter will have earned more in two seasons of LIV than they would achieve in 20 years of the Champions Tour. No-brainier for them at this stage of their careers. Will see what develops with the Ryder Cup too as I wouldn't be surprised to see the stance soften since Koepka played for the US and now with Rahm. 

Whether or not that was any part of Jon Rahm's intention, this surely will hasten an agreement between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf certainly helping the latter. I would guess the terms of an agreement are already drafted but its the usual sticking points to finish. 

Bets on Rahm playing the next Ryder Cup maybe worth a look. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He'll be fine with the majors. They have five of the best players in the World now with more to come. Matsuyama will come in soon and expect to see one or two top 15 players follow.

He should be but you never know, hopefully he wont give up his DP tour card but not sure how he will play enough tournaments to keep his. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Very disappointing. Interesting times ahead

Indeed. The statement he put out was a joke, growing the game of golf ffs 🤦🏽

Pasquale for King

I think the deal with Rahm may well be LIV flexing their muscles just to remind the PGA tour of their potential and to get a move on with the merger. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, kila said:

Reckon Rahm will tweak a muscle in his arse and not manage the next Ryder Cup anyway

He has a muscle?

Rory wants the Ryder Cup rules changed to allow, Rahm, in...nah! Europe has plenty starlets waiting to take a chunk out of Rahms fat arse...Happy he contributed to our latest RC win, but won't be sad if it's his last.

Edited by OBE

13 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Extremely disappointed in rahm. Hard to refuse stupid money though. 

If another company offered you stupid money to go work for them, would you go.. Damn right - 

2 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

If another company offered you stupid money to go work for them, would you go.. Damn right - 

Fair enough, but don't tell the world you ain't doing it for the dough.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Was abit wet this morning but we still played in our sweep. 35 points with 4 no scores 🤣 lost by 2 points. Frustrating!!

Bandit scoring with the four blobs. 😄

The games no straight, shipped 9 shots in winter singles comp. Shot scratch 69, got beat 2&1. Opponent was in 4 bunkers, all of which were "GUR", each time his nearest point of relief was to the side of the bunker, thus eliminating the hazard of playing over the bunker...winter golf sucks. :( Wished him good luck in the next round. :devil:

That thing you do

For those of you still unsure about LIV Im heading back to Mayakoba for a second year to see Rahmbo make his LIV debut.

Last year at the day one shotgun start we got to talk to Brooks Koepka as he was heading for the tee prior to the pre start dance entertainment. Will be heading to the tee early again this year to either Cam Smith or Rahm.

I personally love the team format and the whole LIV experience. Hoping for a good season for my team, the fireballs. 

7 hours ago, That thing you do said:

For those of you still unsure about LIV Im heading back to Mayakoba for a second year to see Rahmbo make his LIV debut.

Last year at the day one shotgun start we got to talk to Brooks Koepka as he was heading for the tee prior to the pre start dance entertainment. Will be heading to the tee early again this year to either Cam Smith or Rahm.

I personally love the team format and the whole LIV experience. Hoping for a good season for my team, the fireballs. 

Hope the wildlife plays its part again this year.

That thing you do
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hope the wildlife plays its part again this year.

Yep. Nothing like 20 raccoons on the tee causing chaos. 

• 3 weeks later...
ri Alban

New paradym Smoke out now. More money for an extra 2 yards. They've  done away with jailbreak, which will be tweaked and released in a years time as new tech.

Byyy The Light
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

New paradym Smoke out now. More money for an extra 2 yards. They've  done away with jailbreak, which will be tweaked and released in a years time as new tech.

If every new release offered up the same 10-20 yards more distance as the adverts have been promising for the last 30 years we'd all be hitting it 800 yards

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Rory sounds like he's begging to join LIV.

I'll watch the Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup, Walker Cup, The Players & The Majors...the rest can't hold my attention. WGC-matchplay championships have all been scrapped for 2024...sad!

RM, joining LIV, who gives a flying ****, where he gets his millions?

Oh! and happy new year, golf geeks...🤜🏻💥🤛🏻

Edited by OBE

11 minutes ago, OBE said:

WGC-matchplay championships have all been scrapped for 2024...sad!

Didn't know that :( 

Greed destroying the game.

Armageddon
29 minutes ago, OBE said:

I'll watch the Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup, Walker Cup, The Players & The Majors...the rest can't hold my attention. WGC-matchplay championships have all been scrapped for 2024...sad!

RM, joining LIV, who gives a flying ****, where he gets his millions?

Oh! and happy new year, golf geeks...🤜🏻💥🤛🏻

Here old boy - who's the new profile picture?!  I'm only fishing to see if you've transitioned over the winter months :)