Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

11 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Here old boy - who's the new profile picture?!  I'm only fishing to see if you've transitioned over the winter months :)

"Old Boy" :biggrin:...The new PP, if yi de ken, I'm no tellin yi. Transitioned, going back to Türkiye next month to get the bottom 1/2 done...:thumbsup:

She is bonnie though, eh?

Edited by OBE

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Armageddon
36 minutes ago, OBE said:

"Old Boy" :biggrin:...The new PP, if yi de ken, I'm no tellin yi. Transitioned, going back to Türkiye next month to get the bottom 1/2 done...:thumbsup:

She is bonnie though, eh?

Got the top half done via SGU vouchers 😂👏🏼 The sign of a great season.

That’s a weird question for the boys - if you had to choose, would you get the top half or bottom half done 😂

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

New paradym Smoke out now. More money for an extra 2 yards. They've  done away with jailbreak, which will be tweaked and released in a years time as new tech.

Absolute joke the price of clubs but folk keep buying them 🙈, highest amount I've heard paid for a driver is £700 and the boy said he got a good deal on the shaft. 🤣

tiger Rudi
On 04/01/2024 at 15:28, Byyy The Light said:

If every new release offered up the same 10-20 yards more distance as the adverts have been promising for the last 30 years we'd all be hitting it 800 yards

Tried just about every new driver ever made and still playing with my Orlimar 420. Nothing has knocked it out the bag for any length of time. 

hmfc_liam06

Golf equipment is a con.

If you were to use a 10 year old driver and spend £500 on lessons you’d be hitting further and more consistently than you would buying a 2023/24 driver.

35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Golf equipment is a con.

If you were to use a 10 year old driver and spend £500 on lessons you’d be hitting further and more consistently than you would buying a 2023/24 driver.

If you use a brand new driver and spend £500 on lessons, you would hit it further than the old driver..

I jest, but the actual truth of it is - You need to play more and practice to be good.  I play once a month and never practice, still playing to a 5 handicap - if I wanted to be good, I would have to start at least holding a club several times a week! 

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

If you use a brand new driver and spend £500 on lessons, you would hit it further than the old driver..

I jest, but the actual truth of it is - You need to play more and practice to be better.  I play once a month and never practice, still playing to a 5 handicap - if I wanted to be better, I would have to start at least holding a club several times a week! 

FTFY!

5 handicap is very good and is beyond the majority  :thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola

I jest, but the actual truth of it is - You need to play more and practice to be good.  I play once a month and never practice, still playing to a 5 handicap - if I wanted to be good, I would have to start at least holding a club several times a week! 

The less I play, the better I get! 😂 

hmfc_liam06

But then your outlay is double, or more..

The moral of the story is don’t fall for the marketing, keep your current driver and invest money in lessons/practice.

Upgrading equipment every 5-10 years is fine, but some folk genuinely change drivers etc every year, or even worse, multiple times per year while chasing yards.

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

But then your outlay is double, or more..

The moral of the story is don’t fall for the marketing, keep your current driver and invest money in lessons/practice.

Upgrading equipment every 5-10 years is fine, but some folk genuinely change drivers etc every year, or even worse, multiple times per year while chasing yards.

The cost of current equipment covers a big bulk of shipping and container fees. Some of the price tags are nuts. 

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The cost of current equipment covers a big bulk of shipping and container fees. Some of the price tags are nuts. 

The Houthis need to be telt...:(

I'm liking the ai driver after watching some independent reviews, not enough to buy it though,  I see that Rahm has a personalised face and maybe this will become part of club fitting in the future, though what would the cost of that be?

Playing Drumoig tomorrow for the first time, any advice? Only serious replies will be appreciated.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, sac said:

Playing Drumoig tomorrow for the first time, any advice? Only serious replies will be appreciated.

Take plenty balls for the 9th, 10th and 11th....

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Take plenty balls for the 9th, 10th and 11th....

Thanks😟

rossaldinho
14 hours ago, sac said:

I'll back up what Liam said with the 9th-11th, and watch yourself going down the slope on the 9th if it's wet...

19 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

I'll back up what Liam said with the 9th-11th, and watch yourself going down the slope on the 9th if it's wet...

👍

Played it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The locals call the 9th-11th the Amen Corner of Fife.

Some nice new builds right next to a tee box if I remember right. Wonder how many have had their windows smashed :ninja:

rossaldinho
1 hour ago, kila said:

Played it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The locals call the 9th-11th the Amen Corner of Fife.

Some nice new builds right next to a tee box if I remember right. Wonder how many have had their windows smashed :ninja:

The 12th, I think. I caught one wrong off the tee which landed about a foot away from someone's garden, had a quick look at their roof and the slates must have been about 5 different shades from where balls have obviously bounced off and broken some which had been replaced. 

@Tommy Brown Hello, is there a website/wee book that you use for Open comps, Scotland/North England? Gonna have a fair bit of time on my hands after March...

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, OBE said:

@Tommy Brown Hello, is there a website/wee book that you use for Open comps, Scotland/North England? Gonna have a fair bit of time on my hands after March...

GOLF EMPIRE is the best search engine

17 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

GOLF EMPIRE is the best search engine

Did you opt for the premium membership or free?

42 minutes ago, OBE said:

Free gets you access to all areas

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, OBE said:

I have premium, it just let's you filter a bit better.

I tend to think of the courses I want play first and go through their websites.

I've went daft the last week entering nine  already. Some you've got to be quick as they fill up fast.

Barassie, Leven, Goswick, Drumoig, Pitlochry, Murrayfield, 2@ Longniddry, Lundin.

Bold, I've never played before.

Longniddry and Murrayfield, never played completion there.

39 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've went daft the last week entering nine  already. Some you've got to be quick as they fill up fast.

Barassie, Leven, Goswick, Drumoig, Pitlochry, Murrayfield, 2@ Longniddry, Lundin.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you fare in these comps or is it not the competing, just the courses for realistic green fees?

Disser Pointon
50 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Got a few in myself already, always play opens, great value...

Strathmore, Goswick, Powfoot, Ladybank, Jubilee, Alyth, Blairgowrie so far. What time are you off at Goswick Tommy? 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Tried to get Barassie and Goswick and they’re both full already. As is Glenbervie which was also on my list.

My year looking like:

Newbattle

Alyth

Balmore

Edzell

Kirriemuir

Roxburgh

Crieff

Torwoodlee

Ranfurly Castle

Plus a weekend trip somewhere which will be opens as well.

Tommy Brown
37 minutes ago, OBE said:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you fare in these comps or is it not the competing, just the courses for realistic green fees?

Pure value for money and having competition edge. Win win.

Had a few 2nd and 3rd prizes, always a bridesmaid.

Tommy Brown
34 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

Got a few in myself already, always play opens, great value...

Strathmore, Goswick, Powfoot, Ladybank, Jubilee, Alyth, Blairgowrie so far. What time are you off at Goswick Tommy? 

I remember you played it last year too.

I was minging last year, but had a good time, playing partners were great company.

Need to get down on the Solway course. Double ip Powfoot and Southerness. Would love to get Silloth one year.

Tommy Brown
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Tried to get Barassie and Goswick and they’re both full already. As is Glenbervie which was also on my list.

My year looking like:

Newbattle

Alyth

Balmore

Edzell

Kirriemuir

Roxburgh

Crieff

Torwoodlee

Ranfurly Castle

Plus a weekend trip somewhere which will be opens as well.

I will be at Crieff, only course out your list I've played. Will probably get Newbattle  in this year.

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I will be at Crieff, only course out your list I've played. Will probably get Newbattle  in this year.

None of them big names really but hopefully enjoy them all.

Disser Pointon
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I remember you played it last year too.

I was minging last year, but had a good time, playing partners were great company.

Need to get down on the Solway course. Double ip Powfoot and Southerness. Would love to get Silloth one year.

Always try to get to Goswick, terrific course and less than an hour for me. I'm 10am so will be just about finished when you're off.

Played Southerness open last year, thankfully it was a scramble because it's a brute of a course. Silloth is tremendous as well and my mate from Carlisle is a county member at Powfoot.

Edited by Disser Pointon

I'd love to play golf in dubai.  Has anyone played Majlis and is it expensive. Or Amy other course over there.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'd love to play golf in dubai.  Has anyone played Majlis and is it expensive. Or Amy other course over there.

My mate has played the Earth course and said it was superb. I know it'll be expensive but he got on at a guest rate. 

The floodlit courses that are used on the LET look great. Much needed for the times when it's stifling during the day. 

Dubai, dinnae get it...Come to Dubai, experience our luxury 5 air-con systems...

Edited by OBE

49 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

My mate has played the Earth course and said it was superb. I know it'll be expensive but he got on at a guest rate. 

The floodlit courses that are used on the LET look great. Much needed for the times when it's stifling during the day. 

👍

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Some win for Rory. Yesterday was immense. 

That trophy is bigger than Lee Johnson. 

Statts1976uk

For years, ever since I've been playing I've been using the old baseball grip. I've been having issues with hooking etc etc possibly linked to this. I'm a belligerent old so and so who has a habit of knowing best on this subject when I absolutely don't!

My 10 yo daughter is getting proper lessons mainly so she can't copy my bad habits. As she's moved to the interlocking grip, I've thought I would start giving it a go and noticed my hook is straightening up. Its just the  discomfort now, please someone tell me that this disappears as I get more use to it!

Edited by Statts1976uk

No need to fret, the awkwardness soon disappears...:thumbsup:...and then something else comes along to worry about.

Edited by OBE

Statts1976uk
53 minutes ago, OBE said:

No need to fret, the awkwardness soon disappears...:thumbsup:...and then something else comes along to worry about.

That's reassuring, it just feels really awkward but I know that it'll make a big difference in time. I needed a fundamental change as I think my really bad habits were getting worse.

10 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

That's reassuring, it just feels really awkward but I know that it'll make a big difference in time. I needed a fundamental change as I think my really bad habits were getting worse.

Once you get used to interlocking, it'll feel weird and awkward with a baseball grip

hmfc_liam06
17 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

For years, ever since I've been playing I've been using the old baseball grip. I've been having issues with hooking etc etc possibly linked to this. I'm a belligerent old so and so who has a habit of knowing best on this subject when I absolutely don't!

My 10 yo daughter is getting proper lessons mainly so she can't copy my bad habits. As she's moved to the interlocking grip, I've thought I would start giving it a go and noticed my hook is straightening up. Its just the  discomfort now, please someone tell me that this disappears as I get more use to it!

Might sound weird but practice the grip away from golf. Watching TV? Sit with your hands interlocked.

18 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

What about an overlapping grip ?

it’s less of a jump from baseball 

Statts1976uk

I was at the range yesterday and tried both but seeing better results from the interlocking regarding the hook so just persevering with that.

After all these years I'm finally having some proper lessons so hopefully they'll work out.

Edited by Statts1976uk