Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

On 02/08/2023 at 18:23, Guess The Crowd said:

Worthy of mention, I’d suggest.

Magnificent scoring. Not only from Royal Burgess, but more importantly, clearly named after two members of the 1998 cup-winning team. 

63 around Tain is some going. Always thought it was the toughest track up here. A bit easier nowadays since they got rid of a lot of gorse but still… impressive! 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disser Pointon

Long drive down to Southerness tomorrow for team open, heard good things about it. Played Silloth on the opposite side of the firth last year which was a great course. Weather looking half decent for a change as well!

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Disser Pointon said:

Long drive down to Southerness tomorrow for team open, heard good things about it. Played Silloth on the opposite side of the firth last year which was a great course. Weather looking half decent for a change as well!

Bucket list courses, maybe next year.

Think Southerness and Powfoot have opens on same weekend. Have an overnighter.

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Bucket list courses, maybe next year.

Think Southerness and Powfoot have opens on same weekend. Have an overnighter.

My mate joined Powfoot last year as a county member (lives near Carlisle), haven't managed a game yet.

Guess The Crowd
On 03/08/2023 at 23:34, Armageddon said:

I’ve known him and his dad for years, and never noticed the 98 connection until I read it here 🤦🏻‍♂️

Totally cheering for him, he’s also absolutely nailing his College Golf, same one Luke Donald was at, the coach was his coach for 20 years and helped get him to world number 1 and his first 4 Ryder Cups.

Congratulations to him!

After shooting the lights out in the qualifying, that’s a great feat to keep it going in the match play and go on actually win the thing. Came through some tight matches too.

Here’s hoping his team loses tomorrow. 

I am sure many will know this but played this course for the first time yesterday and was not aware of this fact .2 points for the first correct answer 😀

image.jpeg.6023eebced41247a8eed8700c368d0d7.jpeg

17 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I am sure many will know this but played this course for the first time yesterday and was not aware of this fact .2 points for the first correct answer 😀

From memory (long time ago) looks like Monifieth?

1 minute ago, Jambo314 said:

From memory (long time ago) looks like Monifieth?

We have a winner 👍

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Ws interviewed on Sky at the start of last Open at Canoustie.

he joked that he hit the ball up the fairway and couldn't find it (links golf bounce).

played Monifieth seniors the last 2 years, lovely course.

Rudi Skacel

Think im going to finish second at the open from Haddington yesterday. Shot my lowest ever medal round. Hopefully £150 into the account!!

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ws interviewed on Sky at the start of last Open at Canoustie.

he joked that he hit the ball up the fairway and couldn't find it (links golf bounce).

played Monifieth seniors the last 2 years, lovely course.

Yep very good course, a bit long off the tips for an auld yin like me, my woods got a good going over🤣

It was a Golf in Scotland event -Montrose and Monifieth for £90 and good prizes.

Excellent event.

7 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Think im going to finish second at the open from Haddington yesterday. Shot my lowest ever medal round. Hopefully £150 into the account!!

:yas: 

👍

Final round of the Open at Troon out of the ballot.

Also the Sunday and Wednesday before. Costing me a fortune for 6 tickets. Worth it.

Samuel Camazzola
41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Final round of the Open at Troon out of the ballot.

Also the Sunday and Wednesday before. Costing me a fortune for 6 tickets. Worth it.

I'll wait to get my comps and free parking. 😉 

:greggy:

hmfc_liam06

Finally starting to find something - 78/79/78 in my last 3.

Nicely timed form for a trip up to Newburgh and Murcar this weekend.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Got knocked-back for 2024 Masters...was gonna be part of retirement itinerary...:(

DO YOU MEAN UNSUCCESSFUL FOR TICKETS?

On 07/08/2023 at 13:22, Rudi Skacel said:

Well in mate.

Anyone win any silverware this year?

Im missing prize giving this year due to holiday but would have been lifting our Open trophy 👍

19 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

DO YOU MEAN UNSUCCESSFUL FOR TICKETS?

Aye, a wee bit jet-lagged, should've put "for tickets".

Sorry, my initial post, kinda reads, I was attempting a Maurice Flitcroft...:silly:

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Well done Liam.

Maybe meet you at Newburgh, off at 1.45

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Well done Liam.

Maybe meet you at Newburgh, off at 1.45

We're 1.36 so group in front of you...I apologise now 😅

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Aye, a wee bit jet-lagged, should've put "for tickets".

Sorry, my initial post, kinda reads, I was attempting a Maurice Flitcroft...:silly:

Had a link for ticktets for this year.

Will look into it, my Dauughter is married out in Atlanta. 

I will get her hubby to see if he can get any through the link, you needed an IRS No.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Scores like that @Irufushi will be inviting you up for a game at Snecky.:wink:

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Had a link for ticktets for this year.

Will look into it, my Dauughter is married out in Atlanta. 

I will get her hubby to see if he can get any through the link, you needed an IRS No.

I just lumped myself into the official Augusta Masters ticket ballot, but failed, was given the good news when abroad, went out and got pissed just like all the other nights...:biggrin2: 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, OBE said:

I just lumped myself into the official Augusta Masters ticket ballot, but failed, was given the good news when abroad, went out and got pissed just like all the other nights...:biggrin2: 

All my mates are planning on going again.

Sure they paid $600 each, just for the Sunday prctice day.

on that, I'm out!:nojustno:

5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

All my mates are planning on going again.

Sure they paid $600 each, just for the Sunday prctice day.

on that, I'm out!:nojustno:

140 bucks each for the Sat/Sun, was willing to pay 560, once in a lifetime experience, but...

Speaking to a member at Newburgh, he said they are having a egm on Monday about possible closure. Shame.

It was looking a bit run down.

15th was 300 yards with no cut fairway. You could just miss a fairway and have bother finding your ball.

Never played good enough, only 2 pars. 

23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Speaking to a member at Newburgh, he said they are having a egm on Monday about possible closure. Shame.

It was looking a bit run down.

15th was 300 yards with no cut fairway. You could just miss a fairway and have bother finding your ball.

Never played good enough, only 2 pars. 

That’s a shame if it happens. 

I assumed the 15th was down to it being in a really wet area and with it only being a short hole they don’t cut it as often.

Being a member of a club can be great.  So I am a member at Gullane and there are other clubs that play over the course.  Dirleton Castle being one of them.  We have a limit of 100 members and you have to live in the village, or if you move out, need to keep supporting the club to stay a member.  The Club was formed in 1854 and its one of the ten oldest non course owning clubs in the world.  

Yesterday we played our annual match of Gullane Vs the Castle - I think there were 31 foursomes times that played - so 124 players turned out in a scratch match.  There was a free drinks and pies tent at the 13th.. I had 2 x double vodka coke followed by a bottle of beer chaser that I finished at some point on the 14th.  My group were out early, and I was showered, and in my shirt and tie, tucking into free fish and chips in the clubhouse before the last guys teed off.    

Needless to say that when they refused to give me any more booze at about 9.30, a little bit of me was thankful.  So about 25 of us went to the putting green, everyone put in a pound and we had a putting comp.  I did not win, although I ended up with a few Pro-V1s in my pocket that weren't there before! nice..

Best golfing day of the year -very friendly rivalry and it was great to be able to take part in.  

I am hanging today! 

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

@Tommy Brown Murcar chewed me up and spat me out 🤣

Didn't score well at Cruden Bay.

Self inflicted bad shots.

Course was tough when you don't know it. 

9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Being a member of a club can be great.  So I am a member at Gullane and there are other clubs that play over the course.  Dirleton Castle being one of them.  We have a limit of 100 members and you have to live in the village, or if you move out, need to keep supporting the club to stay a member.  The Club was formed in 1854 and its one of the ten oldest non course owning clubs in the world.  

Yesterday we played our annual match of Gullane Vs the Castle - I think there were 31 foursomes times that played - so 124 players turned out in a scratch match.  There was a free drinks and pies tent at the 13th.. I had 2 x double vodka coke followed by a bottle of beer chaser that I finished at some point on the 14th.  My group were out early, and I was showered, and in my shirt and tie, tucking into free fish and chips in the clubhouse before the last guys teed off.    

Needless to say that when they refused to give me any more booze at about 9.30, a little bit of me was thankful.  So about 25 of us went to the putting green, everyone put in a pound and we had a putting comp.  I did not win, although I ended up with a few Pro-V1s in my pocket that weren't there before! nice..

Best golfing day of the year -very friendly rivalry and it was great to be able to take part in.  

I am hanging today! 

How does it work for the DC members? Can they just book times like Gullane members? Or are there restrictions?

I know a couple people who are members (unsure if Gullane or DC) but because they live in Gullane but its only 2 or 3 they can book. 

Iv written that and I am guessing by living in the village you meen Direlton!

9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Didn't score well at Cruden Bay.

Self inflicted bad shots.

Course was tough when you don't know it. 

That was the theme of my trip too, would love a crack at them again.

I was ropey off the tee at Murcar so instantly ****ed :lol: 

19 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I am hanging today! 

The type of event that should be shown on Sky Sports IMO, with Clubhouse Cam on the red button.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That was the theme of my trip too, would love a crack at them again.

I was ropey off the tee at Murcar so instantly ****ed :lol: 

Stunning course 

21 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Stunning course 

Yeah. Back 9 is a bit of a come down from the front 9 but still a cracker.

19 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

How does it work for the DC members? Can they just book times like Gullane members? Or are there restrictions?

I know a couple people who are members (unsure if Gullane or DC) but because they live in Gullane but its only 2 or 3 they can book. 

Iv written that and I am guessing by living in the village you meen Direlton!

There's days, everyone in skeleton castle is a full member of gullane (apart from the dispensation to allow gullane staff to be members). So we all have the same rights as gullane members. But it's an extra full medal and comp schedule for£40 a year. 16 medals and 6 knock outs I think .. might be more. + Matches against other courses like kilspindie,  bass rock(North Berwick) mussleburgh, Gifford to name a few. .. 

The village would be gullane, but it's measured in miles from the actual castle in dirleton.. so some people who live in North Berwick can get in

i still feel awful as I'm to old to drink like that