Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They’re not the cheapest but if you’re playing a decent bit of winter golf and your course uses mats then they’re worth it. 

Totally agree. I will get one.

I bought a rubber one for £12, it's OK.

It was developed by an old guy I used to have a beer with in Tenerife, he had a golf supply company (pins, rakes, flags blah blah). 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 for the spurk golf mat, solid but still light for a carry bag.

A guy I play with uses one of these Callaway mats, around £40 and heavy but fine if you have an electric trolley.

I don't mind using a mat in winter, get a better lie especially on parkland courses. Winter golf is about a bit of fun and keeping the swing ticking over. I want to pish in the beers of folk who mark their balls on the greens in winter and take ages.

81n5ZDva12L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Disser Pointon
On 08/03/2024 at 15:57, hmfc_liam06 said:

They’re not the cheapest but if you’re playing a decent bit of winter golf and your course uses mats then they’re worth it. 

And they last, I'm on my third winter with no sign of wear, so not expensive for the amount of use I've had from it.

Disser Pointon
On 08/03/2024 at 18:34, kila said:

A guy I play with uses one of these Callaway mats, around £40 and heavy but fine if you have an electric trolley.

I don't mind using a mat in winter, get a better lie especially on parkland courses. Winter golf is about a bit of fun and keeping the swing ticking over. I want to pish in the beers of folk who mark their balls on the greens in winter and take ages.

I used this before the spurk but, IMO, it sits far too high, you have to choke right down on the club.

hmfc_liam06
31 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

And they last, I'm on my third winter with no sign of wear, so not expensive for the amount of use I've had from it.

Same. I like that you can counter slopes with it as well. Obviously not major slopes but awkward lies can be levelled out whereas a normal mat it's virtually impossible to get the ball to sit.

dicksojo

Took the new Ping G430 Max 10k (mouth full) out yesterday and it really was something else. Extremely stable on  mis hits and distance is still very far. Sound is so so and because of the forgiveness it can be difficult to know where it has been hit on the face. If you hit in the middle then it feels solid. Booked in a time to get fit with the pro in a couple of weeks. 

dicksojo

Got fitted today. Walked away with taylormade qi10 ls 😂. It’s amazing what you think you need and what the pro can show you. I was dead against taylormade but hard to argue with the numbers and what the pro tells you. Just want to get it in the bag now!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Mats not allowed at our course. Greenkeeping is exceptional though, rarely soaked 

54 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Mats not allowed at our course. Greenkeeping is exceptional though, rarely soaked 

Why would they not allow mats?

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, dicksojo said:

Got fitted today. Walked away with taylormade qi10 ls 😂. It’s amazing what you think you need and what the pro can show you. I was dead against taylormade but hard to argue with the numbers and what the pro tells you. Just want to get it in the bag now!

Quick couple of weeks 🤣

dicksojo
17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Quick couple of weeks 🤣

Got too excited so phoned up pro and he got me in today. Had to check with the mrs first but she was all good! 😂

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, kila said:

Why would they not allow mats?

Unfair advantage in the Winter League 

The Players Championship, should still be worth a watch even though there's a few stars missing. Sawgrass is an iconic GC and is guaranteed to produce drama, no matter who compete's.

Disser Pointon

Eyemoth open tomorrow, weather looking decent as well. Will be nice to get a scorecard back in hand and no mats. First off at 7am!

Edited by Disser Pointon

Bigsmak

Playing at 7.28 tomorrow at Gullane in the medal.. Would love to break 80 - but I've not been playing so expect an 83 or there abouts.

Just need to get that little ball in that little hole.. .how hard can it... fffffuuuu,,,,   flipping golf

Tommy Brown

Every course close by closed due to rain.

Both course closed up at Fairmont too.

Playing there the next two sundays, had to cancel it a few times this winter.

On 08/03/2024 at 18:34, kila said:

I have this one but I only use it for practice as it’s too heavy to take on the course as I only use my carry bag during the winter months.

Only in Scotland, 8 deg's and pishin doon yesterday, many courses closed. -2 deg's overnight, course closed due to frost...07:12 medal tee time is no happening.

Edited by OBE

Course will be open at 7.30 medal will be delayed by 20 minutes...:biggrin:

Tommy Brown
19 minutes ago, OBE said:

Course will be open at 7.30 medal will be delayed by 20 minutes...:biggrin:

Is your season officially started?

We are not until first full weekend in April

9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Is your season officially started?

We are not until first full weekend in April

Aye, 1st medal was on the 6th March, numerous bunkers still under repair, was a counter though. Knocking everything through the green...nae feckin mats...glorious! Must take more loft. Good luck in the new season TB.👍

Tommy Brown
7 minutes ago, OBE said:

Aye, 1st medal was on the 6th March, numerous bunkers still under repair, was a counter though. Knocking everything through the green...nae feckin mats...glorious! Must take more loft. Good luck in the new season TB.👍

Joys of being a links course member 👍

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Joys of being a links course member 👍

Nae wind, sun out for the duration of the round, nae cream on, burnt pus...tit! 72-66, currently lying 5th, played with the leader in the clubhouse, 72-64...happy days...:biggrin:

Bigsmak
On 15/03/2024 at 14:25, Bigsmak said:

Playing at 7.28 tomorrow at Gullane in the medal.. Would love to break 80 - but I've not been playing so expect an 83 or there abouts.

Just need to get that little ball in that little hole.. .how hard can it... fffffuuuu,,,,   flipping golf

What a beautiful morning for golf. 7.28 and first out in the Dirleton Castle spring meeting. Got aound in 2 hours 30 mins

Gullane number 1 was closed for 2 weeks (we do this every year) and the green keepers have the place in top condition.  The greens were a little slow as there was due on them but sped up when the sun got out after an hour or so. They ran very true though, no complaints.

And there was no wind at all for the front 9. I can't recall such a calm day on these historic links. 

I played really well for only my second round with a card in my hand since October.  75 less 5 for a 1 under 70. The old css was 73 so I'm pretty happy with that. I had four 3 putts though including 3 of the 4 par 3s. 

Not in any trouble, only was in 1 bunker where I got up and down for a par. 

Pretty pleased with the results. Remember that I can actually play golf a little. 

Although.. I was taking 1 or 2 clubs more than I usually would and every shot was a 3/4 seeing. But it seemed to work. 

Maybe finished 6th overall. 

Pleased- salad, had second kid in December so have 2 now. 2years and 3 months. I'll be lucky to play much this next decade

Edited by Bigsmak

No watched live golf for a while, what Sky is being allowed to show is still what I remember...dug shite, be seething even more if paying for it...

Samuel Camazzola
50 minutes ago, OBE said:

No watched live golf for a while, what Sky is being allowed to show is still what I remember...dug shite, be seething even more if paying for it...

You do realise that for these events, they rely on a feed from the US broadcaster? For what they have to work with, it's so far superior than having to listen to what goes our Stateside. 

26 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You do realise that for these events, they rely on a feed from the US broadcaster? For what they have to work with, it's so far superior than having to listen to what goes our Stateside. 

Yes, you explained this to me before, thank you, that's what I meant by "being allowed". Aberg is 5 or 6 under for the day and the first I saw him was on 17, poor stuff...

hmfc_liam06
On 15/03/2024 at 15:42, Tommy Brown said:

Every course close by closed due to rain.

Both course closed up at Fairmont too.

Playing there the next two sundays, had to cancel it a few times this winter.

Fairmont has been a pit this winter.

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fairmont has been a pit this winter.

Closed again yesterday and most likely today. Cancelled my time for 8.30 this morning.

They have extended the deadline for the winter series to the end of April now. Two months extra.

Jambo4050
21 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

What a beautiful morning for golf. 7.28 and first out in the Dirleton Castle spring meeting. Got aound in 2 hours 30 mins

Gullane number 1 was closed for 2 weeks (we do this every year) and the green keepers have the place in top condition.  The greens were a little slow as there was due on them but sped up when the sun got out after an hour or so. They ran very true though, no complaints.

And there was no wind at all for the front 9. I can't recall such a calm day on these historic links. 

I played really well for only my second round with a card in my hand since October.  75 less 5 for a 1 under 70. The old css was 73 so I'm pretty happy with that. I had four 3 putts though including 3 of the 4 par 3s. 

Not in any trouble, only was in 1 bunker where I got up and down for a par. 

Pretty pleased with the results. Remember that I can actually play golf a little. 

Although.. I was taking 1 or 2 clubs more than I usually would and every shot was a 3/4 seeing. But it seemed to work. 

Maybe finished 6th overall. 

Pleased- salad, had second kid in December so have 2 now. 2years and 3 months. I'll be lucky to play much this next decade

I was out after you. What a fantastic day for golf. I shot my handicap which is a rare thing for me round gullane so delighted.

majority of greens were excellent, although the 13th was extremely ropey!

New greenskeeper of course.

Samuel Camazzola

Scheffler just pinging it about as if it's a Sunday bounce game. Ripping through the field and throwing darts. 

2205ian
7 hours ago, Jambo4050 said:

I was out after you. What a fantastic day for golf. I shot my handicap which is a rare thing for me round gullane so delighted.

majority of greens were excellent, although the 13th was extremely ropey!

New greenskeeper of course.

I’m sure Gullane will benefit from new greenkeeper going forward. He did a great job at Dunbar improving & maintaining the course during his tenure.👍

dicksojo

Have managed to get myself an invite down to sunningdale next month. Not sure which course but have been told it is tremendous. Anyone else played?

hmfc_liam06

First medal at the new club this Saturday. 

Par 71 and I've consistently been shooting around 80 since joining at the start of Feb. Absolutely buzzing to stick in a 90+ on Saturday 😎

RustyRightPeg
On 20/03/2024 at 20:39, dicksojo said:

Have managed to get myself an invite down to sunningdale next month. Not sure which course but have been told it is tremendous. Anyone else played?

Incredible venue. Practice facilities are ridiculous too.

Whichever course you play, you'll love it. 

dicksojo
4 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Incredible venue. Practice facilities are ridiculous too.

Whichever course you play, you'll love it. 

Really looking forward to it. I think we’re a bit early to get the heather in bloom but I imagine it will still be in good condition. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Really looking forward to it. I think we’re a bit early to get the heather in bloom but I imagine it will still be in good condition. 

It'll be spotless. Was down there a couple of years ago in October time and you wouldn't have known the time of year.

Statts1976uk

First game back on Sunday, been away for the last 6 weeks due to work and a leg injury. It'll be interesting to see how many things have not deteriorated due to inaction!

Edited by Statts1976uk

dicksojo
7 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

First game back on Sunday, been away for the last 6 weeks due to work and a leg injury. It'll be interesting to see how many things have not deteriorated due to inaction!

It’s hard when you’ve not been able to play for a bit. Eddie Pepperell said he hadn’t swung a club for 6 weeks during covid and his swing has never returned. 

Playing The Castle Course at St Andrews on 3rd April for the 1st time off the blue tees.

Im not a big hitter, so I’m told it’s a challenge even in good conditions.

Anyone else played here?

dicksojo
3 hours ago, sac said:

Playing The Castle Course at St Andrews on 3rd April for the 1st time off the blue tees.

Anyone else played here?

I’ve played there. It’s a good course but the greens are a bit mad (all split into 4 sections with it being very difficult to get from one section to the other). Views are fantastic and hopefully the wind isn’t blowing. Last hole is a bit mad as to me it was a hybrid, driver off the deck to get to the green. 16 or 17 over the gorge is a nice hole too. You’ll enjoy it.

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, sac said:

Anyone else played here?

Played it but got to be honest I didn’t enjoy it.

hmfc_liam06
On 21/03/2024 at 10:29, hmfc_liam06 said:

First medal at the new club this Saturday. 

Par 71 and I've consistently been shooting around 80 since joining at the start of Feb. Absolutely buzzing to stick in a 90+ on Saturday 😎

Called it 😂

5 hours ago, dicksojo said:

I’ve played there. It’s a good course but the greens are a bit mad (all split into 4 sections with it being very difficult to get from one section to the other). Views are fantastic and hopefully the wind isn’t blowing. Last hole is a bit mad as to me it was a hybrid, driver off the deck to get to the green. 16 or 17 over the gorge is a nice hole too. You’ll enjoy it.

Thanks, I’ll expect the unexpected by the sounds of it.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played it but got to be honest I didn’t enjoy it.

That’s a shame. Was it the weather, the course, or the way you played?

hmfc_liam06
8 hours ago, sac said:

That’s a shame. Was it the weather, the course, or the way you played?

Just not a course for me, greens are a bit of a gimmick at times.

Samuel Camazzola
On 23/03/2024 at 13:37, sac said:

Anyone else played here?

Great course but very testing - especially if the wind picks up. The greens are very undulating and tricky if you don't find the right spots. 

9th is drivable, 16 is a great hole and 17 is worth the wait. 

Food is decent but if you don't have a deal which includes lunch etc, leave the property, turn right and about two minutes away is Braes which is part of the caravan park complex. Good food at very reasonable prices. 👍