Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
On 04/04/2022 at 14:03, hmfc_liam06 said:

Question for those who play in zone draw medals - how long are your zones?

Hi Liam. 

I've had an update to the revised time zones for the season ahead. They are set at 30 minute intervals with four times within each zone. These run from 07:00 until 14:00 each Saturday. 👍 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hi Liam. 

I've had an update to the revised time zones for the season ahead. They are set at 30 minute intervals with four times within each zone. These run from 07:00 until 14:00 each Saturday. 👍 

Nice one. Pretty much same as ours then, we’re 40 mins with 5 times.

On 05/04/2022 at 10:54, Tommy Brown said:

https://www.golfgenius.com/register?league_id=8035582017087259374

This may be of interest to some, worth playing the qualifier at Dundonald alone. £65

Saturday 30th April

2022 Trilby Tour

of Ayrshire Qualifier @ Dundonald Links

Handicap Index Limit - Men: 24.0 Ladies: 28.0

Tees - Men: Whites Ladies: Reds

Entry Fee: £65

Field Limited to 120 players

Closing Date: 5pm 9th April 2022

Played in the Trilby twice, Carus Green and then Dundonald last year, great course and competition.

Tommy Brown

My first medal tomorrow since last May.

Had a major op and didn't play again until late Nov. Played about 6 games over Winter.

Game not in great shape, mixture of really good stikes and downright awful strikes.:lol:

Going for my first ever lesson on Monday.

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

My first medal tomorrow since last May.

Had a major op and didn't play again until late Nov. Played about 6 games over Winter.

Game not in great shape, mixture of really good stikes and downright awful strikes.:lol:

Going for my first ever lesson on Monday.

I hope the smash it bud.  👍 I might go for a game during Easter or work. Dilemma. :)

And I might even sell a kidney and have myself a couple of lessons in the summer.

On 28/03/2022 at 05:59, Disser Pointon said:

Wee result there I think! 😂😂

So went up today, spent the £45 vouchers the last time… arrived today and got the same chat “the greens aren’t where we would like them” and they gave me 3 x £15 vouchers!!

To be honest the greens are an absolute disgrace, also one of the later holes feels half built.

I preferred Trump Aberdeen myself, I’d go back but not for a long long time.  Paid £268 for a 3 ball and got £90’s worth of vouchers back.  Still not worth it.

Deancunningham

Got a golf weekend coming up, heading up north and playing old Meldrum, Stonehaven and Brechin. Anyone played any of these before if so any info would be great.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

So went up today, spent the £45 vouchers the last time… arrived today and got the same chat “the greens aren’t where we would like them” and they gave me 3 x £15 vouchers!!

To be honest the greens are an absolute disgrace, also one of the later holes feels half built.

I preferred Trump Aberdeen myself, I’d go back but not for a long long time.  Paid £268 for a 3 ball and got £90’s worth of vouchers back.  Still not worth it.

Interesting to read that something has gone wrong over the winter. I played there several times in 2020 when it opened and again last year in April, July and October. Each time the green were very good and played very well. 

A cash refund would have been better too as doubt there is much in the pro shop you'd get for that amount. 

Tommy Brown

Thought I had a free hit yesterday, turned out a Winter event I played was included.

Got email was up 0.2 to 11.5.

But this confused me

Low H/cap index.  What the hell is this?

Screenshot_20220417-142450_Scottish Golf.jpg

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Thought I had a free hit yesterday, turned out a Winter event I played was included.

Got email was up 0.2 to 11.5.

But this confused me

Low H/cap index.  What the hell is this?

Screenshot_20220417-142450_Scottish Golf.jpg

Is it the lowest your index has been since the system was adopted? 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is it the lowest your index has been since the system was adopted? 

I've guessed that since posting. Not sure if was there before. Thanks 👍

Be interesting to see where my handicap goes over next month, got a lot of golf to play. Played a bit better, short game around the greens terrifying me.

hmfc_liam06

Yeah it's a record of the lowest you've been in a 12 month period, it's to do with the soft and hard cap limits your handicap can increase by.

Means you can't go 5 strokes above your low HCI.

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah it's a record of the lowest you've been in a 12 month period, it's to do with the soft and hard cap limits your handicap can increase by.

Means you can't go 5 strokes above your low HCI.

Didn't know that Liam, thanks

Does it mean a scratch can go up to 5, but a 24 can't go higher tha 29?  Same across the whole board?

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Didn't know that Liam, thanks

Does it mean a scratch can go up to 5, but a 24 can't go higher tha 29?  Same across the whole board?

I’d presume so yeah.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Big Hearts Golf Day

BIG HEARTS GOLF DAY 2022: TEE-OFF WITH HEARTS LEGENDS

This year’s annual Golf Day in aid of Big Hearts will take place on Friday 20th May. We are delighted to announce we will be joined by Heart of Midlothian FC Cup winning legends, to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the historic Scottish Cup win in 2012.

For our 5th Big Hearts tournament we are excited to be at Merchant Golf Club for the very first time.

Golfers will enjoy a Texas Scramble competition with stunning views of Fife, the Lothians and some of the city’s historic landmarks.

Registrations are open to all, with a team of 4 people available for only £240.

Schedule for the day:

• Breakfast rolls, tea and coffee in the Clubhouse at 8am.
  • Texas Scramble with a shotgun start at 9am.
  • 2-course lunch served.
  • Exciting raffle and special prizes for the top finishing teams, closest to the pin and longest drive!

The event will welcome up to 18 teams and we expect this year to be another sell out!

Teams can be booked now – click here

If you have any queries, please email [email protected]

joondalupjambo

Lundin GC started a new chef three weeks ago and a new steward was to start this week.  Apparently they were both coming from Baberton.  

Chef came in Saturday morning grabbed his stuff and walked out.  Club contacted by Steward, after Chef walked saying not coming now.  Rumour is both are staying at Baberton.  Would love to hear their side of things.  Members thinking all sorts of things as you can imagine.  I possibly could not comment😃

Do these type of people in these roles, excuse the pun not sign contracts?

Catering now only filled rolls until further notice, goodness knows who is doing that maybe a greenkeeper😃 So anyone coming to play soon best bring a packed lunch😃

William H. Bonney
12 minutes ago, kila said:

Love a story like this :laugh:

@William H. Bonney said his old man is a member there

I just phoned my dad and he confirmed the story. Apparently the chef and steward have returned but baberton have already started interviewing for their positions. 
They’ve been told they can stay until their positions are filled. Sounds like a right cluster ****. 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, William H. Bonney said:

I just phoned my dad and he confirmed the story. Apparently the chef and steward have returned but baberton have already started interviewing for their positions. 
They’ve been told they can stay until their positions are filled. Sounds like a right cluster ****. 

Yep that was one of a few stories I heard as well.  Other was that they did what they did to get a better deal at Baberton.  Another was that they never actually left Baberton and it was all smoke and mirrors. Another was the chef was only helping Lundie out and neither of them were ever coming over permanently.  Honestly the number of rumours going round is funny as. 

Mind you as you say, no matter the real reasons it is an almighty cluster ***.

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

A free golfing opportunity here. 

I've stuck my name in the hat! 

hmfc_liam06
On 20/04/2022 at 18:34, joondalupjambo said:

Lundin GC started a new chef three weeks ago and a new steward was to start this week.  Apparently they were both coming from Baberton.  

Chef came in Saturday morning grabbed his stuff and walked out.  Club contacted by Steward, after Chef walked saying not coming now.  Rumour is both are staying at Baberton.  Would love to hear their side of things.  Members thinking all sorts of things as you can imagine.  I possibly could not comment😃

Do these type of people in these roles, excuse the pun not sign contracts?

Catering now only filled rolls until further notice, goodness knows who is doing that maybe a greenkeeper😃 So anyone coming to play soon best bring a packed lunch😃

I know a few Lundin members...always baffled me why you don't just franchise the catering side. Works elsewhere.

joondalupjambo
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I know a few Lundin members...always baffled me why you don't just franchise the catering side. Works elsewhere.

The last Steward /chef combo left in late March under an old style, employment agreement and this next combo was to come in, under what many thought was to be a franchise or at least a different style agreement more in line with something that had a bit more benefit to the club.

It is unknown to many what the new agreement actually was because that information was not released, or if it was not widely. 

hmfc_liam06
16 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

The last Steward /chef combo left in late March under an old style, employment agreement and this next combo was to come in, under what many thought was to be a franchise or at least a different style agreement more in line with something that had a bit more benefit to the club.

It is unknown to many what the new agreement actually was because that information was not released, or if it was not widely. 

We have a franchise at our place. They pay us a monthly rental. Works well for the club.

• 2 weeks later...
Tommy Brown

Played in the Trilby at Dundonald yesterday.

Really good course.

Weather was a cow. Rain wasn't a problem front night but got worse, last four holes heavier an breeze picked up.

Just could hit a ball on front 9, only sored 9. And got 18  on back 9 in worst weather.

Crazy effin game.:lol:

23 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Played in the Trilby at Dundonald yesterday.

Really good course.

Weather was a cow. Rain wasn't a problem front night but got worse, last four holes heavier an breeze picked up.

Just could hit a ball on front 9, only sored 9. And got 18  on back 9 in worst weather.

Crazy effin game.:lol:

Do you still get the outfit including the....

Printed Trilby hat with ribbon, Blue,White (Hats)

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Do you still get the outfit including the....

Printed Trilby hat with ribbon, Blue,White (Hats)

No, that will be in August at £260 a pop. Practice round, caddy kit, meals.

Mine was a qualifier, I think maybe the winner got free entry.

Then September the final screened by Sky Sports gets played at Dundonald also.

only 22 entries on Saturday, the weather killed a lot of the set-up.

Would enter again next year.

who the f#$k would want to sit and watch me hacking my way round Dundonald

Edited by Tommy Brown

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

No, that will be in August at £260 a pop. Practice round, caddy kit, meals.

Mine was a qualifier, I think maybe the winner got free entry.

Then September the final screened by Sky Sports gets played at Dundonald also.

only 22 entries on Saturday, the weather killed a lot of the set-up.

Would enter again next year.

I played in the full thing a few years ago at Dalmahoy.

Made for a good day out, full rig out, caddie in white boiler suit, quite a pro feel to it.

Shame my golf on the day never lived up, not seen on sky sports either, only made the credits 😂

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

I can guarantee Bruce Devlin wont be asked to design it 😂

If they get Jack Nicklaus involved, he'll just put water everywhere. 😄

I think the Feddinch development (up beyond Morrisons) may be gathering interest to resume the course plans again. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If they get Jack Nicklaus involved, he'll just put water everywhere. 😄

I think the Feddinch development (up beyond Morrisons) may be gathering interest to resume the course plans again. 

I take it they will be selling off some of the land to finance it, its a large area for one course

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

I take it they will be selling off some of the land to finance it, its a large area for one course

I've no idea what the plans look like but there is a huge lump of ground on the estate. 

Along with an expansion to the practice facilities, it would be good if a nine hole or par 3 set up was created. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've no idea what the plans look like but there is a huge lump of ground on the estate. 

Along with an expansion to the practice facilities, it would be good if a nine hole or par 3 set up was created. 

Sounds good, but just wonder if the area needs another "top class exclusive" course?

Big capital outlay but I suppose ongoing costs would be greatly reduced.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sounds good, but just wonder if the area needs another "top class exclusive" course?

Big capital outlay but I suppose ongoing costs would be greatly reduced.

The main Tour are back for the third year in a row. I can imagine they've provided input to what changes could be applied to ensure it becomes a mainstay for years to come. 

They also have final Open qualifying and the Faldo Series were recently there. The new owners are big-hitters over the world with golf facilities and look to be investing heavily at The Bay. 

Tommy Brown

For us joe public golfers, it will be a shame to lose Fairmont.

Two good courses that were available at good comparable cost going to be lost.

Samuel Camazzola
55 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

For us joe public golfers, it will be a shame to lose Fairmont.

Two good courses that were available at good comparable cost going to be lost.

I've had one of their memberships for a while so I'll be keen to hear what they will do with that offering. 

I last played a couple of weeks ago and the greens have been maintained brilliantly through the winter. By far in better condition than the ones I played on the Links Trust. 

hmfc_liam06

Wee trip up north in a few weeks.

Castle Stuart on the Friday

Forres open on the Saturday

Moray open on the Sunday

Should be a cracking few days.

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Wee trip up north in a few weeks.

Castle Stuart on the Friday

Forres open on the Saturday

Moray open on the Sunday

Should be a cracking few days.

tenor.gif

hmfc_liam06
17 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Dumbarnie Links have closed until June to sort the greens out.

They are a disgrace to be honest. It's a wise move.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Dumbarnie Links have closed until June to sort the greens out.

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They are a disgrace to be honest. It's a wise move.

So glad I got to play it each time when it was in great condition. This is the worst time for this to happen to them. It's the first time they've been able to maximise income from the overseas market who are being charged the tourist top rate. 

Lundin will be hoping to cash in with their new visitor rate! 😄

Armageddon
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

So glad I got to play it each time when it was in great condition. This is the worst time for this to happen to them. It's the first time they've been able to maximise income from the overseas market who are being charged the tourist top rate. 

Lundin will be hoping to cash in with their new visitor rate! 😄

I do now feel mugged off having paid £270 for 2 adults and a junior on a course they have admitted isn’t fit for play.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I do now feel mugged off having paid £270 for 2 adults and a junior on a course they have admitted isn’t fit for play.

The American travelers have been paying not far off that per head! 😳

Sergio wasn’t impressed last night looks like he will be joining up to play this Saudi competition in a couple of weeks time.

55 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Sergio wasn’t impressed last night looks like he will be joining up to play this Saudi competition in a couple of weeks time.

Does feel like something brewing and this might be more than meets the eye now after the Mickelson fallout

1 hour ago, kila said:

Does feel like something brewing and this might be more than meets the eye now after the Mickelson fallout

Lee Westwood and Richard Bland both asked for release to play 

Radar reckoned 70 players are going for it 

could be a fairly big shock wave 

interesting to see what the Masters committee do

45 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Lee Westwood and Richard Bland both asked for release to play 

Radar reckoned 70 players are going for it 

could be a fairly big shock wave 

interesting to see what the Masters committee do

I was just going to mention Bland and Westwood. I’d love to find out who the others are. Has the European tour commented on this yet ? The PGA were dead set against it but I’ve not seen anything from the European Tour yet. 

6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I was just going to mention Bland and Westwood. I’d love to find out who the others are. Has the European tour commented on this yet ? The PGA were dead set against it but I’ve not seen anything from the European Tour yet. 

Nothing so far from Tour

Willett and McIntyre both nos