Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

I get the fact that they should be free to play wherever but tbf the current tours have made them all very rich men and some of them have dropped their pants at the first sign of more dollars Loyalty is a two way street and they have shown zero

All this crap about needing to secure their futures is utter bollocks, their futures are secured many times over already. 
selling their souls for the Saudi dollars - yuck

I'd disagree that being loyal us an issue here. LIV Golf have always stated that they are not a competitor and simply another option to run alongside the existing tours. It's the PGA's threats that have pushed players to either withdraw their membership or wait and see what sanctions come their way. 

6 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

My only issue is the impact this could have on The Open and The Masters (The Masters not so much).  The Open has to be the old traditional links game with the best field in the world, I'd hate us to lose that.

The team names are so shite for a start off.

Will this see golfers as the highest paid sportsmen on the planet?

The PGA and the DP World Tour have no jurisdiction with any of the majors. These are ran by four separate bodies. 

Next names due to be confirmed are De Chambeau, Reed and Fowler. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'd disagree that being loyal us an issue here. LIV Golf have always stated that they are not a competitor and simply another option to run alongside the existing tours. It's the PGA's threats that have pushed players to either withdraw their membership or wait and see what sanctions come their way. 

The PGA and the DP World Tour have no jurisdiction with any of the majors. These are ran by four separate bodies. 

Next names due to be confirmed are De Chambeau, Reed and Fowler. 

I am sorry but if you believe that you will believe anything.

Greg Norman is on a mission, and has the financial backing.

You are right its not a competitor its a takeover attempt.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Its more about very rich men dumping the source of their mega wealth at the first sign of more money. All the excuses about securing their future and wanting to retire, and the stress on their bodies :facepalm: maybe they should go and try boxing.

I realise that there are lots of dodgy sponsors around in all sports, it was more aimed at the players. I can understand Mickelson actually he needs the money to pay off his gambling debts :whistling:

Again I agree with that, just greed. Can’t say I’ve ever liked Mickelson but he seems to have a few problems. 
Golf can be extremely tough on the body though as Tiger proved, well before his car crash. But they have the money to get the best treatment obviously. 

Pasquale for King

I’m not entirely sure that these players will be playing in the majors, I suppose the tours would need to ban them which opens up expensive and lengthy litigation. 
Will the courses that allow LIV tournaments be black listed like Turnberry for example? 
Lots of questions to be answered. 

Latest Greg Norman pictures hitting the press......................

image.jpeg.d4eff770494c3a2286573e43fa0ab570.jpeg

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I am sorry but if you believe that you will believe anything.

Greg Norman is on a mission, and has the financial backing.

You are right its not a competitor its a takeover attempt.

Both main tours are carrying a staleness with over 90% of events played as 72 hole medal play with fields that are too big. 

A shake up is needed to bring a freshness and alternative formats. This could be the push the main tours need. 

Golf 6s was a good watch a few years ago and should have been followed up. 

The DP World and LET have both appeared in Saudi in the last couple of years with little issues. It's only because the PGA have made a fuss that this is gathering main headlines. 

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not entirely sure that these players will be playing in the majors, I suppose the tours would need to ban them which opens up expensive and lengthy litigation. 
Will the courses that allow LIV tournaments be black listed like Turnberry for example? 
Lots of questions to be answered. 

The Blue Monster at Doral already is due to it's owner. 😄 Could that open the door for a certain course in Aberdeenshire (or Turnberry) to be introduced to LIV? 

Regarding the majors, the Tours cannot ban players from these. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Both main tours are carrying a staleness with over 90% of events played as 72 hole medal play with fields that are too big. 

A shake up is needed to bring a freshness and alternative formats. This could be the push the main tours need. 

Golf 6s was a good watch a few years ago and should have been followed up. 

The DP World and LET have both appeared in Saudi in the last couple of years with little issues. It's only because the PGA have made a fuss that this is gathering main headlines. 

We seem to see things from a different angle.

I agree the formats could do with some freshening up, but from what I have seen the PGA haven't made much of a fuss. They have refused to negotiate with a new direct competitor (quelle surprise), but apart from that have played their cards pretty close to their chests.

Norman is trying to goad them into a reaction, but its not happened so far. Its more the press that are making an issue of the Saudi connection.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Blue Monster at Doral already is due to it's owner. 😄 Could that open the door for a certain course in Aberdeenshire (or Turnberry) to be introduced to LIV? 

Regarding the majors, the Tours cannot ban players from these. 

Yeah it might well do so. 
I was just wondering about the majors, especially the US Open as it’s run by the USGA. 
The players were concerned about it but have been allowed this year, whether that applies next year isn’t certain yet. https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/golf/news/phil-mickelson-dustin-johnson-play-us-open-majors-pga-liv-golf/w2b11dbmzszimsexhiov3chx

Could a past winner like Johnson not be invited to the Masters, was Mickelson invited two months ago? Will the tours put pressure on the Open or USPGA, 
I think we will need to wait and see. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Wall to wall coverage now, if you like watching featured groups and has-beens signing pish cards. Only ever watch the last 9 holes on any run of the mill stroke play tourney. Match play, on the other hand is a far superior watch, love watching super stars being tormented by upstarts...😀

Edited by OBE

Sex Panther

A lot of major qualification is based on world ranking, tournaments won, qualifiers, or various exemptions (previous winners, placed in certain events, etc).

From a world ranking perspective, surely they'd need to add in LIV events as ranking ones? Any one know if this has been confirmed? 

Sex Panther
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Wall to wall coverage now, if you like watching featured groups and has-beens signing pish cards. Only ever watch the last 9 holes on any run of the mill stroke play tourney. Match play, on the other hand is a far superior watch, love watching super stars being tormented by upstarts...😀

"Featured/Marquee groups". My pet hate. Ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Sex Panther said:

"Featured/Marquee groups". My pet hate. Ridiculous.

Not just on the course though SP, getting out the 4x4, walking up to register, practice area, over the bridge to the 1st tee and a wee photo session, all this when a comp is in full swing. Then they cut back to recorded play, usually on the green and astonishingly a 35 footer goes in, so feckin predictable...😫

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, OBE said:

Yeah I think there definitely needs to be a shake up with different formats for events during the season, not just at the start or the end. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Sex Panther said:

A lot of major qualification is based on world ranking, tournaments won, qualifiers, or various exemptions (previous winners, placed in certain events, etc).

From a world ranking perspective, surely they'd need to add in LIV events as ranking ones? Any one know if this has been confirmed? 

Good point. 

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Westwood and Poulter asked if there’s anywhere in the world that morality would stop them from playing . . . . 

And they wouldn't answer so took it as a no .they are prepared to go anywhere in the world.they wouldn't even rule out Russia . Looks like if the money is right they will go anywhere look forward to the Liv event in Pyongyang.

Armageddon
19 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

And they wouldn't answer so took it as a no .they are prepared to go anywhere in the world.they wouldn't even rule out Russia . Looks like if the money is right they will go anywhere look forward to the Liv event in Pyongyang.

Sky have a cheek asking questions of people morals.

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

Just saw that part about Russia, I think the morals of the golf world has had a torch shone on it and it’s not a good look. 

1 minute ago, kila said:

I don’t recall Sky reporters asking these questions to anyone associated to Newcastle United take over it was more of a celebration the deal got done. Sky also showed WWE PPV in Saudi in 2018 charging £20 to view and I don’t recall them even questioning Tyson Fury for taking a massive pay day from them to appear in the wrestling also which was saudi backed .

The Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I don’t recall Sky reporters asking these questions to anyone associated to Newcastle United take over it was more of a celebration the deal got done. Sky also showed WWE PPV in Saudi in 2018 charging £20 to view and I don’t recall them even questioning Tyson Fury for taking a massive pay day from them to appear in the wrestling also which was saudi backed .

Im sure AJ fought in Saudi too. They were happy enough to rake in the millions from the PPV from that.

7 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Im sure AJ fought in Saudi too. They were happy enough to rake in the millions from the PPV from that.

I’m sure they made a song and dance when Sheff Utd were taken over by Saudi backed too.

Malinga the Swinga

Good to see these golfers being exposed as the money grabbers they are. Poulter and Westwood coming over particularly badly and destroying their carefully constructed personalities in a heartbeat.

Mercenaries to the core, their love affair with European golf and Ryder cup was nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Chuck them out of majors and let them chase the cash in Norman's fantasy tour.

Malinga the Swinga

Also good to see the fan boys of these guys out in force to defend them with whataboutery as main justification for players actions.

The Gorgie

Good to see people outraged about something that has nothing to do with them and will have absolutely no affect on their life. 

45 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Good to see these golfers being exposed as the money grabbers they are. Poulter and Westwood coming over particularly badly and destroying their carefully constructed personalities in a heartbeat.

Mercenaries to the core, their love affair with European golf and Ryder cup was nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Poulter punching the chest in the Ryder cup looks a bit stupid now

Sooperstar
23 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Was there last year get really close to the players and plenty space to watch and follow around. I’m going to head down the Saturday or Sunday this year. I got terrible sun burnt last year on the legs 😂 and gave Jon Rahm a fist pump at the putting green. I would like to see it back at Gullane again but can’t see it happen with the money and the deal with the Renaissance now.

Last year was restricted attendance, so not always as easy to follow the players around as it was then.

Samuel Camazzola
40 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Good to see people outraged about something that has nothing to do with them and will have absolutely no affect on their life. 

👍 Exactly. 

Won't blink an eye at opening an account with HSBC, buying a TV made by a household name, reading a well-known paper or driving a certain model of nice car. Look behind them all and guess who's wealth is behind them. 

Sooperstar
51 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

So people should only have feelings about things which directly affect themselves? That's quite the selfish outlook to have on life.

Armageddon
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Golf is the hardest game on earth to ‘make it’ in and the hardest to be elite in, I think they deserve every penny out of all the sports people on earth.

The Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

So people should only have feelings about things which directly affect themselves? That's quite the selfish outlook to have on life.

Each to their own but a professional golf player playing golf somewhere other than the PGA tour doesn't get my blood boiling. It's more golf to watch for a start.

48 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Last year was restricted attendance, so not always as easy to follow the players around as it was then.

I got round pretty fine on the Saturday was no restrictions on how close you could stand in a crowd either. Lat flow was done morning off it other than that it was fine. 

29 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Each to their own but a professional golf player playing golf somewhere other than the PGA tour doesn't get my blood boiling. It's more golf to watch for a start.

👍🏻

Sooperstar
1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I got round pretty fine on the Saturday was no restrictions on how close you could stand in a crowd either. Lat flow was done morning off it other than that it was fine. 

Think you misunderstood. Last year was so easy to get round because they had scaled back the attendance due to covid, so there were less people there than there normally is.

11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Think you misunderstood. Last year was so easy to get round because they had scaled back the attendance due to covid, so there were less people there than there normally is.

Yeah mate as soon as I posted it I got you 😂

I have been to every Scottish open they held at Gullane and the one down in Ayrshire. I think the first one at Gullane we ended up speaking to Poulter at the practice green, bumped into Ross Fisher in the bogs and walked right into Hideki the last time he was strolling through the village bit with his caddy and manager 😂

I’m looking forward to this years Scottish.

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Sooperstar
3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I have been to every Scottish open they held at Gullane and the one down in Ayrshire. I think the first one at Gullane we ended up speaking to Poulter at the practice green, bumped into Ross Fisher in the bogs and walked right into Hideki the last time he was strolling through the village bit with his caddy and manager 😂

I'm going to the Scottish and the Open for a day each. Suspect that I will enjoy the Scottish more for the reasons you have mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I'm going to the Scottish and the Open for a day each. Suspect that I will enjoy the Scottish more for the reasons you have mentioned.

I wasn’t lucky enough to get tickets for the open in the ballot but the closer it gets I’m glad I never got one and going to the Scottish again. Last time I went to St Andrews for 2010 open I think it was we were miles away the round we went to I think was the Friday got suspended for 45 mins due to winds 😂

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

I can’t speak for anyone else but going to the Open every couple of years is something I enjoy immensely, if this unedifying project affects that I will be even grumpier in general. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Get yourself up to The Hero Open at St Andrews Bay a couple of weeks after the Open. The competition has been good the last couple of years. 

They are also hosting Open qualifying this year on The Torrance. 

William H. Bonney
6 minutes ago, kila said:

Watched wee bit - that scoreboard thing is too distracting with all the team logos :laugh:

It's horrendous.  

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

It's horrendous.  

Scoring isn’t great either 😆

Pasquale for King

Brandel Chamblee making some good points on SSN, top 4 best paid sportsmen of all time, Jordan-Woods-Palmer-Nicklaus, Mickelson 11th ahead of guys like Beckham who play more popular sports and have a higher profile. 

Gave it a watch for 30 mins. Nothing different from any other run of the mill tournament . Crowds pretty pathetic as well but that’s not a surprise.