Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Seen a thread on twitter with your 5 courses your aiming to tick off in 2022.

Mine are:

The Machri

Trump International

Elie

Goswick

PGA Riviera Maya

Elie should be ticked off this winter and Riviera Maya is booked for when I’m in Mexico in June.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Seen a thread on twitter with your 5 courses your aiming to tick off in 2022.

Mine are:

The Machri

Trump International

Elie

Goswick

PGA Riviera Maya

Elie should be ticked off this winter and Riviera Maya is booked for when I’m in Mexico in June.

I fancy Trump myself and Cruden Bay this year!

Mates 50th this year and a suggestion made about around of golf St. Andrews not the old course but two recommendations Fairmont or the dukes are these acceptable?

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

Mates 50th this year and a suggestion made about around of golf St. Andrews not the old course but two recommendations Fairmont or the dukes are these acceptable?

Fairmont better than Dukes IMO

Dukes is a long slog and tends to be heavy underfoot.

31 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Fairmont better than Dukes IMO

Dukes is a long slog and tends to be heavy underfoot.

Thanks, I’m no into golf so non the wiser guy at work recommended they two he did say dukes was the more scenic but…….🤷‍♂️

46 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Thanks, I’m no into golf so non the wiser guy at work recommended they two he did say dukes was the more scenic but…….🤷‍♂️

I would say Fairmont is more scenic down by the coast with views of St Andrews.

Dukes is more tree lined parkland, with lots of long holes. if lots of non golfers going probably better with Fairmont, not so much looking for balls required😂

I f'kin hate the Dukes. It's not fun to play at all and agree every one of the 4 times I've played it, I vow never to return. 

12 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I f'kin hate the Dukes. It's not fun to play at all and agree every one of the 4 times I've played it, I vow never to return. 

I’m Im in this boat as well, I really don’t know why it’s so high up the rankings. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice enough course it’s just not top 20 or wherever they have it now.

Ladybank over the Dukes in terms of elite parkland in Fife for me.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Samuel Camazzola
18 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

As others have said, it's a nice layout and has a nice a clubhouse within a decent setting with a terrace looking down to the town. 

However, with the heathland it's built on, it can get very soft underfoot. It definitely doesn't warrant the green fee which is highly inflated due to being owned by Kohler (owner of the Old Course Hotel). 

If you have some non golfers playing, look into the Strathtyrum Course on the St Andrews Links. It's very playable and in the same condition as The Old Course, Eden, Jubilee etc. Just depends when you're looking to go though as the Open is at the Old Course mid July and a lot of preparation and restrictions will be in place. You then have plenty post golf options for food and drink in the town. 

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

As others have said, it's a nice layout and has a nice a clubhouse within a decent setting with a terrace looking down to the town. 

However, with the heathland it's built on, it can get very soft underfoot. It definitely doesn't warrant the green fee which is highly inflated due to being owned by Kohler (owner of the Old Course Hotel). 

If you have some non golfers playing, look into the Strathtyrum Course on the St Andrews Links. It's very playable and in the same condition as The Old Course, Eden, Jubilee etc. Just depends when you're looking to go though as the Open is at the Old Course mid July and a lot of preparation and restrictions will be in place. You then have plenty post golf options for food and drink in the town. 

Thank you for feed back but as a non golfer and nor will I be there to participate I’ve not a clue about golf courses other than they look appealing on fine summers day and think to myself, Mmm taking up golf is perhaps not a bad idea then I go past my local course and it’s chucking it down and blowing a hooly, na stuff that……and the original question it will be strictly amateur enthusiastic guys playing not taking themselves too seriously 

Disser Pointon

Had a fitting session at the Titleist centre at Craigielaw yesterday. Was good to have a session with no sales pressure whatsoever, would definitely go back.

6 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Had a fitting session at the Titleist centre at Craigielaw yesterday. Was good to have a session with no sales pressure whatsoever, would definitely go back.

Proper fitting is key to good golf. 

I was fitted at SGGT at Swanston recently and the difference is unbelievable. I will never buy another club if the shelf again. 

Disser Pointon
45 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Proper fitting is key to good golf. 

I was fitted at SGGT at Swanston recently and the difference is unbelievable. I will never buy another club if the shelf again. 

That's where I used to go but I feel they upsell top end shafts, that was the refreshing difference at the Titleist studio, they don't sell you anything.

12 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

That's where I used to go but I feel they upsell top end shafts, that was the refreshing difference at the Titleist studio, they don't sell you anything.

I know what you mean. I got a very dear shaft in my driver. 

5 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Are there any plans for a KB spring/summer golf day out?

:lol: every year I think someone suggests it but it never happens.

Missed a lot of the Golf Season the last 2 years for health reasons.

Fi again (Okay, fittish :lol:) so booked a lot of Opens )Gents & Seniors) that have not played before.

Montrose, Auchterarder, Pitlochry, Downfield, Monifieth, Aberdour & Crieff.

Hoping to add Lundin to that and a few more.

Booked, but played before, Duddingston & Blairgowrie (Landsdowne)

All going well, I should beat my 21 Opens played in 2019.

Any ideas about a fold away putter? I've got a putting mat, but can't fit  putter in to my bag. I work away for a couple of months at a time and can sometimes be stuck in hotel quarantine for a couple of weeks. Would be good to practice my putting.

Few opens booked for the season.

Newbattle

Forres

Moray

Mortonhall

Monifieth

Ratho Park

All courses I’ve never played before.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Newbattle

Forres

Moray

Mortonhall

Monifieth

Ratho Park

I've just added Trump Abrrdeen to my list 

Sat 7th May Gents Open.

9 new ones for me, got Lundin added.

8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sat 7th May Gents Open.

I saw that, seriously considering it.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sat 7th May Gents Open.

Where is the 7th May Open advertised? I'm in their Twitter and webpage but was unaware of this. 

Cheers 

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Where is the 7th May Open advertised? I'm in their Twitter and webpage but was unaware of this. 

Cheers 

on Facebook

21 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Newbattle

Forres

Moray

Mortonhall

Monifieth

Ratho Park

Newbattle is nice once you get up the hill 😫, Mortonhall is excellent, they had some trouble with greens last year but should be ok by the summer. Ratho is a nice pleasant parkland course, an easy walk and not too difficult.

Enjoy !!

37 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Newbattle is nice once you get up the hill 😫, Mortonhall is excellent, they had some trouble with greens last year but should be ok by the summer. Ratho is a nice pleasant parkland course, an easy walk and not too difficult.

Enjoy !!

Cheers. 3 more Edinburgh courses to tick off the list anyway.

Texas scramble Magdalene Fields, March, Pitlochry gents open May,

Scotland for golf two day golf tuition at St Andrew’s golf academy and Balgove course, May.

West Linton Gents Senior open June,

works outing to The Bruce course Kinross, June.

Then it’s the Wednesday medals at Dundas Parks from May to August.

14 hours ago, sac said:

Texas scramble Magdalene Fields, March, Pitlochry gents open May,

Scotland for golf two day golf tuition at St Andrew’s golf academy and Balgove course, May.

West Linton Gents Senior open June,

works outing to The Bruce course Kinross, June.

Then it’s the Wednesday medals at Dundas Parks from May to August.

I was really surprised by Magdalene Fields. Was at the caravan park with the wee one and wen't over and played it late one evening. Was something like £15 and it was in superb condition.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I was really surprised by Magdalene Fields. Was at the caravan park with the wee one and wen't over and played it late one evening. Was something like £15 and it was in superb condition.

Likewise, I was very impressed with the layout and condition when I played it in the September before covid started.

Looking forward to playing it again although it will be in March so hopefully the weather will be kind.

1 minute ago, sac said:

Likewise, I was very impressed with the layout and condition when I played it in the September before covid started.

Looking forward to playing it again although it will be in March so hopefully the weather will be kind.

Went in with zero expectations given it's a golf course at a caravan park but some cracking holes. Think it's the 8th that plays over the cliffs? Superb par 3.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Went in with zero expectations given it's a golf course at a caravan park but some cracking holes. Think it's the 8th that plays over the cliffs? Superb par 3.

It is the 8th, also the 3rd heading down towards the sea is a very tough approach shot but a stunning view 

Samuel Camazzola
On 01/01/2022 at 11:06, ri Alban said:

Do they still have a second cut and when was the last time they used it in the Open?

FYI, this week's DP World Tour event (The Dubai Desert Classic) has a second cut today. Fourth and final round tomorrow. 👍 

Just curious to people yardages. Obviously different this time of year being cold however in the summer what are people hitting?

Mine are approximately 

wedge 140

9 iron 150

8 iron 160

7 iron 170

6 iron 180

5 iron 190

3 iron crossover carry 230

Driver carry 270

3 wood carry 245

5 wood carry 225

I also carry both 56 and 60 degree wedges but hit these for accuracy not a set distance.

Edited by Vlad Magic

The Golf Super League, Poulter being offered $30M, but what did make me laugh was this quote:

Dustin Johnson, who is bidding to win the Saudi International for a third time in four years, was asked about the report of Poulter’s offer.

“I can't speak for Ian. Yeah, I'm sure they're …well, yeah, obviously whether they have or haven't, I'm not allowed to disclose. You'd have to ask Ian on that one. ”Had he received a similar offer? “No, not similar. It's just not similar,” he added, laughing

He's laughing as his offer will be $300M :)

How much would it take you all to write off being able to play in The Open or Ryder Cup?

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

The Golf Super League, Poulter being offered $30M, but what did make me laugh was this quote:

Dustin Johnson, who is bidding to win the Saudi International for a third time in four years, was asked about the report of Poulter’s offer.

“I can't speak for Ian. Yeah, I'm sure they're …well, yeah, obviously whether they have or haven't, I'm not allowed to disclose. You'd have to ask Ian on that one. ”Had he received a similar offer? “No, not similar. It's just not similar,” he added, laughing

He's laughing as his offer will be $300M :)

How much would it take you all to write off being able to play in The Open or Ryder Cup?

I'll never play in either so wouldn't take too much. 

9 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Just curious to people yardages. Obviously different this time of year being cold however in the summer what are people hitting?

Mine are approximately 

wedge 140

9 iron 150

8 iron 160

7 iron 170

6 iron 180

5 iron 190

Driver carry 270

3 wood carry 245

5 wood carry 225

I also carry both 56 and 60 degree wedges but hit these for accuracy not a set distance.

You must be some player. My averages according to Shot Scope.

D - 240

3W - 220

3H - 200

4H - 185

5i - 170

6i - 160

7i - 155

8i - 140

9i - 130

PW - 110

9 handicap.

36 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

D - 240

3W - 220

3H - 200

4H - 185

5i - 170

6i - 160

7i - 155

8i - 140

9i - 130

PW - 110

9 handicap.

23 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Are all those yardages downwind? 

He didn't say the yardages he hits are on line.:peepwall:

Mine are about 20 yards less than Liam's, I play off 11. I would be lower, but don't practice, my really short game is ****ing Hibs.

47 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

D - 240

3W - 220

3H - 200

4H - 185

5i - 170

6i - 160

7i - 155

8i - 140

9i - 130

PW - 110

9 handicap.

Almost the same for me from PW to 5.. my driver is average about 280 which is weird as I out drive a lot of players but they hit their irons further. I do swing differently with my driver.. Put a bit more into it

Currently 6, but was 3 a couple of years ago. Played 2 rounds since October. (Both 3 over scratch) 

Edited by Bigsmak

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Mine are approximately 

wedge 140

9 iron 150

8 iron 160

7 iron 170

6 iron 180

5 iron 190

Driver carry 270

3 wood carry 245

5 wood carry 225

See a pro to focus on your gapping. The 3 iron and 5 wood inclusion of both would be questioned and the gap to the 5 iron is massive. 

Likewise, jump from a pw to a 56 is huge. A 50/52 would be beneficial. The need for a 60 for an amateur player is debatable unless they have the touch of Mickelson or Bubba. 👍 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

See a pro to focus on your gapping. The 3 iron and 5 wood inclusion of both would be questioned and the gap to the 5 iron is massive. 

Likewise, jump from a pw to a 56 is huge. A 50/52 would be beneficial. The need for a 60 for an amateur player is debatable unless they have the touch of Mickelson or Bubba. 👍 

Correct. I’m carrying 13 clubs so room for 1 more. Either a 3rd wedge (50) or a 4 iron. The 3 iron is really for accuracy on short par 4’s and the 5 wood came with the 3 when I bought them.

10 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

Are all those yardages downwind? 

Im trying to gain more distance.

My rotation could be better. I’m confident of adding 10 yards to my irons and 20 to my driver if I can add more rotation to my swing. It’s not easy though because my muscle memory lets me down and I invariably end up practice swinging with the added rotation but revert back when taking the shot.

Frustrating!!!

10 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Almost the same for me from PW to 5.. my driver is average about 280 which is weird as I out drive a lot of players but they hit their irons further. I do swing differently with my driver.. Put a bit more into it

Currently 6, but was 3 a couple of years ago. Played 2 rounds since October. (Both 3 over scratch) 

Now the aim for me is to hit those distances consistently, be lucky if I'm getting to within 20 yards of each of those just now.

I should note, mine are total distance and not carry. I flight the ball quite low so my carry's aren't usually great but get a nice run out. Lovely stuff in the winter on wet parkland courses :lol:

I'll be honest, distance for me is all a bit for show. I often play medals with one boy who plays off 4, he hits driver 200-220, 7 irons go about 130 but I've never seen as consistent a golfer at amateur level and a short game to die for as well.

Disser Pointon
15 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

D - 240

3W - 220

3H - 200

4H - 185

5i - 170

6i - 160

7i - 155

8i - 140

9i - 130

PW - 110

9 handicap.

Pretty much bang on mine although a full year of coaching last year is ciming to fruition and stretching those a bit.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Correct. I’m carrying 13 clubs so room for 1 more. Either a 3rd wedge (50) or a 4 iron. The 3 iron is really for accuracy on short par 4’s and the 5 wood came with the 3 when I bought them.

👍 Sounds like the 5 wood could be sacrificed for a 4 iron or hybrid equivalent and a wedge added too. 

I've done a bit of work on distance control and ball flight. If you get a chance to practice by gripping down by half an inch or so, you can see how this can rein in distance a little. Also, if you adjust the grip up a touch, this can also have an impact in adding a bit more length. 

The above along with playing about with the ball position at address can result in a variety of shot types.