Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Nothing so far from Tour

Willett and McIntyre both nos 

Maybe a lot of the higher ranking uk players might join. Like Westwood said he’s self employed he needs to work to make money and he’s made his decision. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Maybe a lot of the higher ranking uk players might join. Like Westwood said he’s self employed he needs to work to make money and he’s made his decision. 

Aye cos he's not got enough already 😳

surprised that they want to potentially damage their legacy and future for a few quid when they probably already have more than they can ever spend 

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, merrymac said:

Lee Westwood and Richard Bland both asked for release to play 

Radar reckoned 70 players are going for it 

could be a fairly big shock wave 

interesting to see what the Masters committee do

I can't blame them with the money swishing about. Three days of competition with no cut. £££££

It seems the PGA are making too much of a fuss over this. Greg Norman has stated it's not intended to be rival - just another option to play alongside the existing tours. The talk of players being blocked from participating in future events like the Ryder Cup is petty. 

However, going by the ticket prices released, I can't see there being big crowds at the UK event. Day tickets start at £85!

⛳ Fancy a round of golf with Big Hearts Community Trust?

You can now book individual places for £60 per person, to be part of our 5th annual Golf Day.

Don't miss out on celebrating the 10th anniversary of our historic 2012 win, with HeartofMidlothianFC Scottish Cup legends! 🙌🇱🇻

Schedule for the day:

• Breakfast rolls, tea and coffee in the Clubhouse at 8am.
  • Texas Scramble with a shotgun start at 9am.
  • 2-course lunch served.
  • Exciting raffle and special prizes for the top finishing teams, closest to the pin and longest drive!
May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says '5TH ANNUAL GOLF DAY Friday 20th May 2022 Merchants of Edinburgh Golf Club HEARTS COMMUNITY RUST Big Hearts MERCHANTSO EDINBURGH URGH'

Edited by livi

10 hours ago, livi said:
⛳ Fancy a round of golf with Big Hearts Community Trust?

You can now book individual places for £60 per person, to be part of our 5th annual Golf Day.

Don't miss out on celebrating the 10th anniversary of our historic 2012 win, with HeartofMidlothianFC Scottish Cup legends! 🙌🇱🇻

Schedule for the day:

• Breakfast rolls, tea and coffee in the Clubhouse at 8am.
  • Texas Scramble with a shotgun start at 9am.
  • 2-course lunch served.
  • Exciting raffle and special prizes for the top finishing teams, closest to the pin and longest drive!
May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says '5TH ANNUAL GOLF DAY Friday 20th May 2022 Merchants of Edinburgh Golf Club HEARTS COMMUNITY RUST Big Hearts MERCHANTSO EDINBURGH URGH'

Longest Drive? Everyone contributes financially for the prize, but only 5% of the field (Silverbacks) will contest.. bizarre! Time to knock that prize on the heid, not just here but all outings...IMO!

21 minutes ago, OBE said:

Longest Drive? Everyone contributes financially for the prize, but only 5% of the field (Silverbacks) will contest.. bizarre! Time to knock that prize on the heid, not just here but all outings...IMO!

I've been on outings where the longest drive was won by someone who didn't get much distance. The big hitters all missed the fairway albeit miles down though less likely the larger the field I suppose. Some other outings I've been on had 'straightest drive' in addition and a white line was painted up the middle of the fairway, so that's maybe one Big Hearts should consider too.

Edited by kila

2 hours ago, OBE said:

Its the one thing that I can compete in when I play outings as I can't get anywhere near the actual prizes being off a low handicap.  In Stablefords there is always a 40 point + score in. If I was to score 40 points I would need to shoot a Scratch round and I'm not capable of that on my home course just now let alone one I haven't played before! 

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

Its the one thing that I can compete in when I play outings as I can't get anywhere near the actual prizes being off a low handicap.  In Stablefords there is always a 40 point + score in. If I was to score 40 points I would need to shoot a Scratch round and I'm not capable of that on my home course just now let alone one I haven't played before! 

Low handicap, what the majority strive for or high handicap and in amongst the prizes, I'll stick to the low h/cap. Don't you have a scratch prize at your outings?

Disser Pointon

Off to Belek today for the week, 16 of us (or at least it should be 16 if one hadn't had a balls up with his passport 🙈)

Samuel Camazzola
On 10/05/2022 at 23:04, Stu_HMFC said:

Jordan Spieth playing the Scottish open this year.

Scheffler is confirmed. Morikawa playing again too. 

It'll attract a strong field due to it's timing but with it now being a PGA Tour event, the prize money is hiked and will see more names opt to play in it. 

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Scheffler is confirmed. Morikawa playing again too. 

It'll attract a strong field due to it's timing but with it now being a PGA Tour event, the prize money is hiked and will see more names opt to play in it. 

Yeah hoping a few more big names decide to play. Big Phil used to play the Scottish when the British was in Scotland the week after. 

Looking forward to seeing Spieth will get going down on the Saturday again. Used to go down Thur or Fri to see more golfers but ended up hanging about one or two holes and no seeing any golf. I like the weekend when the cut is made. 

Vlad Magic

Doesn’t deserve a thread of its own so keeping it here.

Language from the pros on course.

Just heard the Scottish lad Ferguson shout “**** off”!!!!

Commentator had to apologise on his Belgae. It’s happening all the time now on live coverage. They know the cameras and the mics are on them. I wish they would keep the language to themselves.

hmfc_liam06
30 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Commentator had to apologise on his Belgae. It’s happening all the time now on live coverage. They know the cameras and the mics are on them. I wish they would keep the language to themselves.

Christ you sound like the auld farts at my place :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Quite tame compared to Thomas, Rahm and Pieters. 😄

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

You better hope I never qualify to the Trilby tour final and appear on Sky Sports:Shoosh:

On 12/05/2022 at 15:23, Vlad Magic said:

Who doesn’t swear on the course ? 

part of the game 😂

10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

part of the game 😂

Exactly - the cameras and mics are on them to try capture such reactions! 

Emotionless golfers are boring to watch. 

Edited by kila

hmfc_liam06
17 hours ago, Irufushi said:

part of the game 😂

We’ve got one or two at the club who complain on a weekly basis about the language around the course 😂

Armageddon
On 12/05/2022 at 15:23, Vlad Magic said:

Mute your TV.

I think if a performer of any kind has to change their personality to stop offending the farts who sit in their house who may be offended by a microphone then remove the mics and sound from the event.  Ewen Ferguson would have been working so hard since he was 10 I bet, many days and nights in all weathers, and he can't say "**** off" because an armchair fan might not like that kind of thing.

The other line that winds me up the most on golfers "All that money for 4 days work?"  Hahaha if only folk knew.

Edited by Armageddon

On 13/05/2022 at 21:21, Irufushi said:

part of the game 😂

I swear at guid shots tae...:brows:

Armageddon
25 minutes ago, OBE said:

Hahaha how true. Add onto that:

- When you see prices at Archerfield half way hut

- When you smell the p**h in the Kilspindie on course toilet

- When you see someone not using a m*tt

- When you get stuck in the Aberlady traffic

9 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Hahaha how true. Add onto that:

- When you see prices at Archerfield half way hut

- When you smell the p**h in the Kilspindie on course toilet

- When you see someone not using a m*tt

- When you get stuck in the Aberlady traffic

a) Dinnae drink...

b) Rather the smell o pish be in the designated toilet than on the 9th tee...

c) Never used a matt in ma puff...:brows:

d) Ballencrieff road is the way to come and go...

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2022 at 09:46, hmfc_liam06 said:

Wee trip up north in a few weeks.

Castle Stuart on the Friday

Forres open on the Saturday

Moray open on the Sunday

Should be a cracking few days.

Hope you enjoyed the courses ? 

Tommy Brown

Whs handicap system.

Played Auchterarder Seniors open last week. Pleasant short course in stiff breeze.

Surprised the following day to see a 3 shot adjustment 

Played Greenburn in a ****ing total hoolie, pissed down rain on 2 occasions. Scoring is terrible. 1 stroke adjustment.

How the hell is this determined.

Example, 60-70s winner was +3 nett

Samuel Camazzola
43 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Whs handicap system.

Played Auchterarder Seniors open last week. Pleasant short course in stiff breeze.

Surprised the following day to see a 3 shot adjustment 

Played Greenburn in a ****ing total hoolie, pissed down rain on 2 occasions. Scoring is terrible. 1 stroke adjustment.

How the hell is this determined.

Example, 60-70s winner was +3 nett

Differing understanding of the system it seems. 

Maybe whoever fills the vacancy of the R&A's Handicapping and Course Rating Manager will help communicate a consistent approach to all. 

https://www.cloudonlinerecruitment.co.uk/randa/Vacancy.aspx

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Hope you enjoyed the courses ? 

Castle Stuart - great course but I dunno…felt a wee bit underwhelmed, mostly due to the last 6 or so holes.

Forres - what a gem of a course, loved it. Greens were phenomenal, up there with best greens I’ve played on.

Moray - what a tough track. Blowing 25mph plus. Off line and forget it. Fairways are abysmal though.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Castle Stuart - great course but I dunno…felt a wee bit underwhelmed, mostly due to the last 6 or so holes.

Forres - what a gem of a course, loved it. Greens were phenomenal, up there with best greens I’ve played on.

Moray - what a tough track. Blowing 25mph plus. Off line and forget it. Fairways are abysmal though.

Forres greens are unreal eh? 😂. Pure beyond belief ! 

kinda get what you mean about castle Stuart, last 6 are a bit of a disappointment compared to the rest. 

shame about the fairways at moray , great course , both are actually. 

next time you’re up go, Golspie, Brora , Tain and Dornoch if you can . 👌

hmfc_liam06
31 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Forres greens are unreal eh? 😂. Pure beyond belief ! 

kinda get what you mean about castle Stuart, last 6 are a bit of a disappointment compared to the rest. 

shame about the fairways at moray , great course , both are actually. 

next time you’re up go, Golspie, Brora , Tain and Dornoch if you can . 👌

Aye Forres was incredible, they weren’t rapid (still quick) but as true as you’ll find. Really impressed.

I dunno what it was with Castle Stuart, went into it fully expecting to be blown away and for it to go in as the best course I’ve played, and after the first 3 or 4 it absolutely was but it just lacks something and I can’t put my finger on it. Interestingly, all the locals I spoke to over the weekend all agree.

Those 4 are on the hit list. I know a member at Dornoch so it’s just finding time when we’re both free. He lives down here so it has to be a proper planned trip.

Tommy Brown
34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye Forres was incredible, they weren’t rapid (still quick) but as true as you’ll find. Really impressed.

I dunno what it was with Castle Stuart, went into it fully expecting to be blown away and for it to go in as the best course I’ve played, and after the first 3 or 4 it absolutely was but it just lacks something and I can’t put my finger on it. Interestingly, all the locals I spoke to over the weekend all agree.

Those 4 are on the hit list. I know a member at Dornoch so it’s just finding time when we’re both free. He lives down here so it has to be a proper planned trip.

Get yourself into the Fraser Gardner Trophy at Dornoch.

Play both Championship and Struie.

It was £72 two years ago.

Handicap limit 11.5

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

DJ :wow:

It was a surprise since it was only a couple of months ago he had pretty much distanced himself. However, it was always thought a top 10 player would turn up. 

Some other big names there but for the lesser known guys, you feel someone is going to win a big prize! 💰 

20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Some other big names there but for the lesser known guys, you feel someone is going to win a big prize! 💰 

Maybe for Richard Bland he is thinking of actually winning a tournament. I think he has won once in 18 years.       ( maybe a smaller field will help him ) 

He’s always a good EW bet. 

But the price money will have a factor in every player deciding to play. 

Phil was one of the first to go on about this and got a lot of criticism he isn’t even in the list of players playing 😂…. Yet. 

Armageddon

Anyone played Strathmore between Blairgowrie and Alyth?  I was up there last week, totally recommend it, many superb holes.

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Anyone played Strathmore between Blairgowrie and Alyth?  I was up there last week, totally recommend it, many superb holes.

Great track, definitely one of my favourite "non-elite" courses.

The food is incredible as well.

I've never registered an handicap. I was trying to enter some competitions, but can't. I'll need to get my finger oot.

Can I ask. When did Sergio become such a wee prick. I watched him mouthing off to officials about how he can't wait to leave the tour and get away from them. 

Any details? Has he a genuine grievance?

18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Can I ask. When did Sergio become such a wee prick. I watched him mouthing off to officials about how he can't wait to leave the tour and get away from them. 

Never liked him. Back in 2010 at British open we stood and watched him ask his caddy what club to play at the 16th at St Andrews second shot. Cut a long story short he went against his caddy advise left it short of green then decided to launch his club towards his caddy and bag then went off muttering in Spanish the guy has always been a cock never seen the liking he seems to get.

5 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Never liked him. Back in 2010 at British open we stood and watched him ask his caddy what club to play at the 16th at St Andrews second shot. Cut a long story short he went against his caddy advise left it short of green then decided to launch his club towards his caddy and bag then went off muttering in Spanish the guy has always been a cock never seen the liking he seems to get.

👍

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Garcia was 100% correct with his grievance a few weeks back. The official started the clock far too early on his search for a ball in the rough. 

His choice of words were questionable but frustration in the heat of the moment can take over. 

His actions in Saudi a few years ago were both out of order and funny. 

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, escobri said:

Watched this the other day and put Stathmore on my list to play, looks good.

They're right about the turf, I last played it in November there and it was unreal how good the fairways were, bone dry and solid.

For me, they haven't even shown the best holes on the course yet still looks great.

Tommy Brown
On 16/05/2022 at 11:38, OBE said:

The night we played, I was wondering if you were a monk.:whistling:

PS my language is appalling of late at bad shots, my index is on a bad upward trajectory.

Downfield today, Monifieth tomorrow and Aberdour on Tuesday. All seniors.

All new courses to me.

Wish me luck, I badly need it.:lol:

45 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

The night we played, I was wondering if you were a monk.:whistling:

PS my language is appalling of late at bad shots, my index is on a bad upward trajectory.

Downfield today, Monifieth tomorrow and Aberdour on Tuesday. All seniors.

All new courses to me.

Wish me luck, I badly need it.:lol:

Nah! Yous were my guests, yous had the free rein, the big fella didn't hold back, especially when you won the match on the 17th...good fun!

The main thing TB, is your fitness has returned, been reading that on other threads, really chuffed for you.

Best of luck Bud, I'm sure you'll get back to where you once were, or even better, Bravo brave Tommy...🤜🤛...Adios to that B*s*a*d disease...🙋‍♂️

Edited by OBE

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Nah! Yous were my guests, yous had the free rein, the big fella didn't hold back, especially when you won the match on the 17th...good fun!

The main thing TB, is your fitness has returned, been reading that on other threads, really chuffed for you.

Best of luck Bud, I'm sure you'll get back to where you once were, or even better, Bravo brave Tommy...🤜🤛...Adios to that B*s*a*d disease...🙋‍♂️

Thanks mate, really appreciated.

My handicap is down purely shit golf, no excuses 🥺

Samuel Camazzola
50 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Thought I'd map out all my courses. Played over 100 but looks feeble on a map!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1F7dwVB8EdXKbc63pa18K3Bap1MQcQNY&usp=sharing

My mate started a quest in 2009 to play every course in Scotland. I'll find out what number he has got to but think he's over 300.

I'm sure he's managed all the islands (wangled a private flight to one of them somehow) and persevered in trying to get a round on the Carnegie with eventual success. He's targeting the gWest but not sure what the chances of getting on there are.