Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Is it just not prep for the season mode so greens will be getting all the treatment necessary for that at the moment?

Our greens are just being prepared with stuff this week and we are next door so would expect them to be similar condition to ours?  I have waited to play Dumbarnie until around late May into June for that reason.  Understand you can go early for less dough but at what cost, poorer quality course conditions?  Late March is just about winter😄👍

Played your place last Friday, nothing really wrong with them, just heavily sanded but surprisingly slow! I just couldn’t get a handle on the pace as no matter how short I left one putt, I’d do it again the next putt 😂

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must say - Gullane is in amazing condition.  The greens are already brilliant and the warmth this week has probably sped them up a bit. 

I'm a lucky boy being a member there! 

On 23/03/2022 at 18:23, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looks like back to cold and wet from next week 👎

Time of the month. :troll: 

Seriously tho, I'm taking a week off next week and I can't believe it, the weather is back to shite. I was looking forward to a wee game. :(

Disser Pointon
11 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Is it just not prep for the season mode so greens will be getting all the treatment necessary for that at the moment?

Our greens are just being prepared with stuff this week and we are next door so would expect them to be similar condition to ours?  I have waited to play Dumbarnie until around late May into June for that reason.  Understand you can go early for less dough but at what cost, poorer quality course conditions?  Late March is just about winter😄👍

My mate played Kingsbarns and Dumbarnie back to back last week. Kingsbarns immaculate as usual, said the Dumbarnie greens were a disgrace.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Time of the month. :troll: 

Seriously tho, I'm taking a week off next week and I can't believe it, the weather is back to shite. I was looking forward to a wee game. :(

Make the most of it Monday and Tuesday.

joondalupjambo
19 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played your place last Friday, nothing really wrong with them, just heavily sanded but surprisingly slow! I just couldn’t get a handle on the pace as no matter how short I left one putt, I’d do it again the next putt 😂

Yeah even slower this week with more sand and what looks like some fertilizer fired on to them on Monday.  Still you learn to whack the ball when it is like that!!  Four birdies yesterday but that is as rare as hen's teeth😄 The treatment this week means that two to three weeks from now the greens should be really good.  You know then if that happens that they just get better and better.

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

My mate played Kingsbarns and Dumbarnie back to back last week. Kingsbarns immaculate as usual, said the Dumbarnie greens were a disgrace.

Out of interest did he have to pay full whack on Kingsbarns?  I gave up there once it hit silly money.

Disser Pointon
14 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Out of interest did he have to pay full whack on Kingsbarns?  I gave up there once it hit silly money.

He did them on the bunkered deal with the overnight stay.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

He did them on the bunkered deal with the overnight stay.

Cheers, guess with me being so close overnight stay not really worthwhile so will look at bunkered to see if anything without stay.

Samuel Camazzola

Cracking course for the WGC this week (Austin Country Club in Texas). Makes a change from the usual bland courses served up on the PGA. 

DJ looking like he's coming back into the type of form which could see him as a favourite for Augusta. 

42 better ball stableford points in the Saturday comp. Not an official comp just the regulars chucking a few quid in. Random partner. Mine was David aged 85 who hadn’t hit a ball since November!!!

Never judge a book by its cover they say? Damn right. I hit a good drive down the first. He only knocks it 10 yards past me. 85 year old!! Carried me for the front nine till he ran out of steam a bit. 

I found my game on the back nine coming home in 1 over. We won by a single point. 👍👍

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

42 better ball stableford points in the Saturday comp. Not an official comp just the regulars chucking a few quid in. Random partner. Mine was David aged 85 who hadn’t hit a ball since November!!!

Never judge a book by its cover they say? Damn right. I hit a good drive down the first. He only knocks it 10 yards past me. 85 year old!! Carried me for the front nine till he ran out of steam a bit. 

I found my game on the back nine coming home in 1 over. We won by a single point. 👍👍

:lol:

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

:lol:

My jaw hit the floor.

All the boys watching us tee off passed themselves laughing. Was a hell of a hit never mind for an 85 year old!!

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where's the best place to buy golf shoes?

What style are you after and do you have a price point in mind? 

If you're looking for something that is similar to a trainer, downloading the Nike App is useful as once you're registered as a Member, you get free delivery and returns and lots of discount promos (on your birthday etc). 

In person, the Ecco outlet shop in Livingston is worth a look. They won't have a big selection so it's all about timing. They are a premium brand and most of their shoes are completely waterproof. Premium price but you could get a good deal there. I know Sketchers have an outlet there too but couldn't confirm if they stock golf shoes. 

For websites, Golfbase.co.uk, Function 18 and Scottsdale Golf are all solid retailers with great customer service. 👍 

@Disser Pointon Left Edinburgh early doors, sun breaking a hazy morning, got to the bridge and could see maybe 50 yards ahead all the way to Dumbarnie.  Thanks for the shite green chat, got there and they gave me £45 in vouchers as the greens were ‘not in peak summer condition’, I was totally expecting that after you said, not the voucher though.  The haar didn’t lift and the tee time was delayed and delayed, we had breakfast and a practice and ended up rescheduling for the 11th April.

Drove an hour, spend £30 on breakfast, £35 on a beanie and gave my dad the vouchers to buy a Galvin Green bucket hat 🤦🏻‍♂️ and have to do it all again in 2 weeks 😂

Hopefully the snow will be away by then :)

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where's the best place to buy golf shoes?

I've used Function 18 for golf gear,good selection.

Disser Pointon
10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

@Disser Pointon Left Edinburgh early doors, sun breaking a hazy morning, got to the bridge and could see maybe 50 yards ahead all the way to Dumbarnie.  Thanks for the shite green chat, got there and they gave me £45 in vouchers as the greens were ‘not in peak summer condition’, I was totally expecting that after you said, not the voucher though.  The haar didn’t lift and the tee time was delayed and delayed, we had breakfast and a practice and ended up rescheduling for the 11th April.

Drove an hour, spend £30 on breakfast, £35 on a beanie and gave my dad the vouchers to buy a Galvin Green bucket hat 🤦🏻‍♂️ and have to do it all again in 2 weeks 😂

Hopefully the snow will be away by then :)

Wee result there I think! 😂😂

On 27/03/2022 at 08:06, Vlad Magic said:

What age are you, Vlad? If you don't mind me asking. I take it the old dude was a very good player in his day and has held onto his technique.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What age are you, Vlad? If you don't mind me asking. I take it the old dude was a very good player in his day and has held onto his technique.

Or he's got an illegal driver! What was he like with his irons VM?

On 28/03/2022 at 16:57, ri Alban said:

Im 47. He only took up golf in his 40’s.

In fairness and not to take anything away from him as he was a lovely old boy. I hit a high cut with a wet fairway so got zero run. He was a lefty and hit a perfect low cut and got probably 25-30 yards of run. Even still it was funny watching him go past me. Broke the ice nicely.

23 hours ago, kila said:

Or he's got an illegal driver! What was he like with his irons VM?

Hit down on everything. Big divots. No real distance but kept it straight for 9 holes. He ran out of puff after 9 unsurprisingly. Even with a buggy.

Edited by Vlad Magic

19 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Im 47. He only took up golf in his 40’s.

In fairness and not to take anything away from him as he was a lovely old boy. I hit a high cut with a wet fairway so got zero run. He was a lefty and hit a perfect low cut and got probably 25-30 yards of run. Even still it was funny watching him go past me. Broke the ice nicely.

A lefty? It could be worse,  he could've been cack-handed.

Samuel Camazzola
59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

A lefty? It could be worse,  he could've been cack-handed.

One of the best players I have ever played against is crack-handed. 

25 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

No he wasn't, it just puts you off. :)

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No he wasn't, it just puts you off. :)

He became a pro whilst continuing to play that way. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Did he rub it in instead of snorting it?😲

1 hour ago, dode41 said:

John Gallagher??

Stuck his name into YouTube and found this:

He's got a really fluid motion with it. Would be easier on the eyes at first if the glove was on his right hand instead!

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, dode41 said:

John Gallagher??

👍 

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Did he rub it in instead of snorting it?😲

😳🙈

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Good call

Was very good when I played him.

Left below right putting looks OK and I find it effective for finding a good rhythm. For full shots it looks and feels awkward. 

On 30/03/2022 at 10:05, hmfc_liam06 said:

A multiple club champion at my place is also cack handed.

Would that be Benn ?

joondalupjambo

Lundin unplayable this morning up because of snow, upbuntil circa 10.15am. A group of eight Scandinavian visitors were booked in for 9 o'clock.  It was to be their last game of a mini golf tour and they are flying home tonight at tea time from Glasgow.  If they did get out it would have been tight timings for them.  Mind you Nordics probably used to playing in snow boots so should have let them just go out early😄

First game from the winter hibernation.  Rusty.  All the rust had more rust on it.  Already bloody sore anaw.  

The Mighty Thor
18 hours ago, Victorian said:

First game from the winter hibernation.  Rusty.  All the rust had more rust on it.  Already bloody sore anaw.  

First of the 'summer' medals this morning. 

Doubles galore from a short game shitshow.

No excuses either. The weather was grand. ☹️

spirt of 98
On 29/03/2022 at 22:55, kila said:

Stuck his name into YouTube and found this:

He's got a really fluid motion with it. Would be easier on the eyes at first if the glove was on his right hand instead!

He’s a Hobo 🤮🤢

Paul Reilly, Assistant Pro at Dunbar is cack handed, maybe he's been mentioned above.

Got back late last night from Dornoch, Struie on the Saturday morning, Championship in the afternoon, Struie again yesterday then a near 4 hour drive home.  Weather was spectacular on Saturday and horrendous yesterday.  Great weekend, but it's a long way to not then take in Brora, played that last year and it's a beauty.

Samuel Camazzola
16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Question for those who play in zone draw medals - how long are your zones?

30 minutes either side of plotted time - I think. Our BRS is set up with times at 10 minute intervals too. 

hmfc_liam06
46 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

30 minutes either side of plotted time - I think. Our BRS is set up with times at 10 minute intervals too. 

Ours are 40 but folk moaning that it should be 30 haha that 10 minutes is obviously crucial 😂

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Question for those who play in zone draw medals - how long are your zones?

They vary a bit.  I think they can be tailored.  Usually an hour or so.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Once the courses opened after COVID, our tee sheet was changed from seven minute intervals to 10. It's been retained as it has made a huge difference to the flow of play. 

Most competitions we have that are subject to a draw are on Saturdays where tee times are restricted to three balls during the AM. I'm pushing for this to be introduced to Sundays too but some old timers are kicking up a fuss as 'they've always played a fourball on a Sunday'. 😄 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Once the courses opened after COVID, our tee sheet was changed from seven minute intervals to 10. It's been retained as it has made a huge difference to the flow of play. 

Most competitions we have that are subject to a draw are on Saturdays where tee times are restricted to three balls during the AM. I'm pushing for this to be introduced to Sundays too but some old timers are kicking up a fuss as 'they've always played a fourball on a Sunday'. 😄 

The phrase that gets on my nerves the most around golf clubs - “it’s always been like that”

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

Cheers Vic. 40 minutes appears to be a reasonable time based on replies here and a look around online.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The phrase that gets on my nerves the most around golf clubs - “it’s always been like that”

I hear it a lot. 

I'll find out if ours is 30 minutes or something different that I'm unaware of. 

Tommy Brown

https://www.golfgenius.com/register?league_id=8035582017087259374

This may be of interest to some, worth playing the qualifier at Dundonald alone. £65

Saturday 30th April

2022 Trilby Tour

of Ayrshire Qualifier @ Dundonald Links

Handicap Index Limit - Men: 24.0 Ladies: 28.0

Tees - Men: Whites Ladies: Reds

Entry Fee: £65

Field Limited to 120 players

Closing Date: 5pm 9th April 2022

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

https://www.golfgenius.com/register?league_id=8035582017087259374

This may be of interest to some, worth playing the qualifier at Dundonald alone. £65

Saturday 30th April

2022 Trilby Tour

of Ayrshire Qualifier @ Dundonald Links

Handicap Index Limit - Men: 24.0 Ladies: 28.0

Tees - Men: Whites Ladies: Reds

Entry Fee: £65

Field Limited to 120 players

Closing Date: 5pm 9th April 2022

Hi Tommy,

I played in the Trilby Tour a few years ago when it was held at Dalmahoy, it was some event, brilliantly run, but relied heavily on the massive personality of William Hunt (the guy owned Saville Row tailor's and the gear supplied was top notch. You had to have a caddie who was supplied with a white boiler suit as per the Masters.😂) They very much managed to create a tour event experience, and events were featured on sky sports.

I see it is in the hands of new owners, it will be interesting to see if they can match the very unique experience he created.