Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

41 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

Pretty much bang on mine although a full year of coaching last year is ciming to fruition and stretching those a bit.

Think my distances are probably around the typical average.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍 Sounds like the 5 wood could be sacrificed for a 4 iron or hybrid equivalent and a wedge added too. 

I've done a bit of work on distance control and ball flight. If you get a chance to practice by gripping down by half an inch or so, you can see how this can rein in distance a little. Also, if you adjust the grip up a touch, this can also have an impact in adding a bit more length. 

The above along with playing about with the ball position at address can result in a variety of shot types. 

I agree the 5 wood can go. 

Ditch the 5 wood. Get a matching 4 iron and a 50 degree matching wedge.

Sounds perfect 👍👍

Ive been messing about a bit as you say with ball position. My regular playing partner is a 2 handicap and was off scratch. He plays all sorts of shots I’m not ready to play yet but it intrigues me. 

Something to work on before spring 👍

Samuel Camazzola
33 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I agree the 5 wood can go. 

Ditch the 5 wood. Get a matching 4 iron and a 50 degree matching wedge.

Sounds perfect 👍👍

Ive been messing about a bit as you say with ball position. My regular playing partner is a 2 handicap and was off scratch. He plays all sorts of shots I’m not ready to play yet but it intrigues me. 

Something to work on before spring 👍

Playing in the wind has allowed me to try out a lot of knock down shots. ie. Usual 9 iron distances but using a 3/4 7 iron off the back foot. Very satisfying to see it come off as planned with a low penetrating flight. 😍

On 02/02/2022 at 12:53, Vlad Magic said:

Just curious to people yardages. Obviously different this time of year being cold however in the summer what are people hitting?

Mine are approximately 

wedge 140

9 iron 150

8 iron 160

7 iron 170

6 iron 180

5 iron 190

3 iron crossover carry 230

Driver carry 270

3 wood carry 245

5 wood carry 225

I also carry both 56 and 60 degree wedges but hit these for accuracy not a set distance.

60 wedge - 90

54 wedge - 115

p wedge - 140

9 iron - 150

8 iron - 160

7 iron - 175

6 iron - 190

5 iron - 200

4 iron - 215 (runout)

3 iron - 225 (runout)

2 iron - 240 (runout)

3 wood - 260 (runout)

driver - 280+ (runout)

That's on a dry warm summer's day with little wind. I play with stiff blades and have been using a GPS score/yardage app for over a decade so have gauged my distances fairly well.

I'm off 13 at the moment. When I'm in my element I can be capable of low 70s but I can go weeks (and sometimes months of pain) where I just loose that feel and struggle to trust the club will release naturally. My blades don't help but they are so much fun to play with and rewarding regardless of my fluctuating handicap.

Because my course has narrow protected greens I tend to get penalised a lot in medals. I generally play once a week in winter and up three times a week in the high summer. In the same week I can shoot a 74, 82 and a 93. My handicap is probably a fair reflection of how pish and good I can be. 

Sometimes I have moments where I stand on the tee and just can't get the feel I had, so the natural flow doesn't happen. I end up forcing the wrist hinge a bit more causing my forearms to tense a little which actually ends up restricting the wrist movement and release of the club. And incredibly frustratingly, despite being fully aware of what I'm doing wrong at times and how to fix it something weird can happen when I address the ball and all logic goes out the window.

I'll need to consider ditching the blades at some point though, and along with that some of my distance.

47 minutes ago, kila said:

60 wedge - 90

54 wedge - 115

p wedge - 140

9 iron - 150

8 iron - 160

7 iron - 175

6 iron - 190

5 iron - 200

4 iron - 215 (runout)

3 iron - 225 (runout)

2 iron - 240 (runout)

3 wood - 260 (runout)

driver - 280+ (runout)

That's on a dry warm summer's day with little wind. I play with stiff blades and have been using a GPS score/yardage app for over a decade so have gauged my distances fairly well.

I'm off 13 at the moment. When I'm in my element I can be capable of low 70s but I can go weeks (and sometimes months of pain) where I just loose that feel and struggle to trust the club will release naturally. My blades don't help but they are so much fun to play with and rewarding regardless of my fluctuating handicap.

Because my course has narrow protected greens I tend to get penalised a lot in medals. I generally play once a week in winter and up three times a week in the high summer. In the same week I can shoot a 74, 82 and a 93. My handicap is probably a fair reflection of how pish and good I can be. 

Sometimes I have moments where I stand on the tee and just can't get the feel I had, so the natural flow doesn't happen. I end up forcing the wrist hinge a bit more causing my forearms to tense a little which actually ends up restricting the wrist movement and release of the club. And incredibly frustratingly, despite being fully aware of what I'm doing wrong at times and how to fix it something weird can happen when I address the ball and all logic goes out the window.

I'll need to consider ditching the blades at some point though, and along with that some of my distance.

Just reading and my initial reaction to your post is.

Pre shot routine!!!!

Its difficult sometimes however the actual swing and shot you end up taking is the final outcome from a pre meditated and concise routine.

Ive made some good inroads this season by taking a bit more time and built a decent routine.

Yardage.

Club selection.

Target both where ball lands and in the sky.

Practice swings.

Feel the shot.

Address the ball.

Commit to the shot I want to hit.

Hit the shot.

Its repetition after that. I also practice the above on the practice range. 

Rather than just get a load of balls and fire shot after shot I can make a basket of 50 last 20 minutes by taking 1 at a time and taking random irons out the bag going through the above.

It’s a bit robotic. Sometime boring but on the course you repeat it and it helps.

11 hours ago, kila said:

60 wedge - 90

54 wedge - 115

p wedge - 140

9 iron - 150

8 iron - 160

7 iron - 175

6 iron - 190

5 iron - 200

4 iron - 215 (runout)

3 iron - 225 (runout)

2 iron - 240 (runout)

3 wood - 260 (runout)

driver - 280+ (runout)

Your weekly scores sound a lot like mine :lol:

I too, know exactly where I'm going wrong, but often find myself out there unable to shift it and then one day my swing is back and everything is effortless again.

I've got two bad habits, over the top heel strikes (on most clubs) and getting too steep at attack (with woods).

Luckily my pre-shot routine when I've lost the feel completely isn't as bad as Kevin Na many years ago :laugh:

But I can totally related to what he's going through in that video where he's struggling to pull the trigger. It isn't doubt over club selection or shot visualisation, just a mental muscle block.

Changing from game improvement irons to blades.

Has anyone gone through this recently? I’m considering going to blades this spring. I’ve played game improvement ever since I took the game up. A long break of over 20 years ended last summer when I took golf up again with a set of ping irons.

I hit these well as my distance figures show however I’m seriously considering going the whole hog and having a custom fit session and buying blades.

Ive looked at the I59 and the Blue Print. Both good looking but the blue print blades heads are tiny. Rumours are they are bringing out a new blade this year.

Anyway I digress.

Anyone gone to blades recently that can offer their opinion on what difference it made to their game?

Edited by Vlad Magic
Got models muddled up.

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Changing from game improvement irons to blades.

Has anyone gone through this recently? I’m considering going to blades this spring. I’ve played game improvement ever since I took the game up. A long break of over 20 years ended last summer when I took golf up again with a set of ping irons.

I hit these well as my distance figures show however I’m seriously considering going the whole hog and having a custom fit session and buying blades.

Ive looked at the I59 and the Blue Print. Both good looking but the blue print blades heads are tiny. Rumours are they are bringing out a new blade this year.

Anyway I digress.

Anyone gone to blades recently that can offer their opinion on what difference it made to their game?

What's your standard of play and handicap? 

12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What's your standard of play and handicap? 

Officially 12. I’m playing to about 6 though. Picked up an injury in Autumn just as I was finding my game.  

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Officially 12. I’m playing to about 6 though. Picked up an injury in Autumn just as I was finding my game.  

How would you rate your wedge game and putting? All pros and top level players preach about focusing investment on short game equipment and practice ahead of anything else. 3/4 of your shots will be from around 75 yards and in. 

Unless you are looking to replace a set that you feel is not working for you, a smaller outlay on a wedge and putter fitting should see you make the biggest immediate gains. 👍  

23 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How would you rate your wedge game and putting? All pros and top level players preach about focusing investment on short game equipment and practice ahead of anything else. 3/4 of your shots will be from around 75 yards and in. 

Unless you are looking to replace a set that you feel is not working for you, a smaller outlay on a wedge and putter fitting should see you make the biggest immediate gains. 👍  

Invested in a new putter just before Christmas. T to green I was more than satisfied. My putting was costing me at least 6 strokes a round. Regularly 3 or more x 3 putts a round. Totally lost confidence in it.

Bought a new one and it’s transformed my putting. Holing a fair few 10-15 footers and only an odd 3 putt when going in from 30 feet or above. 

Wedge game is fine. Sticking it to 10-12 feet from 130 yards or below regularly.

Short game is really good. Getting up and down from around the greens scrambling for par without to many problems.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Spot on advice.

To many getting semis on their distances.

Short game is where its won and lost.

If I could be arsed practicing, I could easily get into single figures, despite my fairly short hitting off the tee. 

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Spot on advice.

To many getting semis on their distances.

Short game is where its won and lost.

If I could be arsed practicing, I could easily get into single figures, despite my fairly short hitting off the tee. 

My short game has always been very good. It’s tee to green area that lets me down. I’ll bomb one 280 down the fairway then duff an iron. Or I’ll slice a drive and recover with a lovely shot. Zero consistency kills my game. 

3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Invested in a new putter just before Christmas. T to green I was more than satisfied. My putting was costing me at least 6 strokes a round. Regularly 3 or more x 3 putts a round. Totally lost confidence in it.

Bought a new one and it’s transformed my putting. Holing a fair few 10-15 footers and only an odd 3 putt when going in from 30 feet or above. 

Wedge game is fine. Sticking it to 10-12 feet from 130 yards or below regularly.

Short game is really good. Getting up and down from around the greens scrambling for par without to many problems.

I’d say go for the blades, you might find your control improves too. They are much less forgiving but rewarding. 

Maybe see if you can try a set of loan blades out to see if you like them first?

5 minutes ago, kila said:

I’d say go for the blades, you might find your control improves too. They are much less forgiving but rewarding. 

Maybe see if you can try a set of loan blades out to see if you like them first?

It’s not that straight forward as I’m a big lad. 6ft 7.

Any try before I buy would really need to be close to what I would be buying so green dot (deg upright) and an inch n half longer.

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

The above is approach play that a lot of elite players would be proud of! 👍 

That combined with your improved putting, solid short game and decent distance suggests one thing... Get some general play rounds in as you're off the wrong handicap! 😄

Good luck in trying to trial blades that suit you. If you're Edinburgh based, Scott Gourlay (by Swanston) s recommended by many and can source a huge variety of shaft types. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The above is approach play that a lot of elite players would be proud of! 👍 

That combined with your improved putting, solid short game and decent distance suggests one thing... Get some general play rounds in as you're off the wrong handicap! 😄

Good luck in trying to trial blades that suit you. If you're Edinburgh based, Scott Gourlay (by Swanston) s recommended by many and can source a huge variety of shaft types. 

Regularly but not every time 🤣🤣

Agree my handicap is never 12 in a million years. I missed the last 2 months of the competition season last year with a shoulder strain. I would have expected to get down to 7 or 8 if I’d played those comps.

Played the Roxburghe today, course and greens in great condition for the time of year and only £23 on Golfnow.

Off the white tees I struggled to reach most of the greens in regulation. If you haven’t played it, it’s worth a visit, but bring your long game.

19 hours ago, sac said:

Played the Roxburghe today, course and greens in great condition for the time of year and only £23 on Golfnow.

Off the white tees I struggled to reach most of the greens in regulation. If you haven’t played it, it’s worth a visit, but bring your long game.

Great track. Front 9 chewed me up but managed to find a game on the back 9.

21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Great track. Front 9 chewed me up but managed to find a game on the back 9.

Exact same for me, it was very windy in my defence tbf.

Thought I’d try my distances at full tilt at the range with Toptracer. 3 shots with each club all from the matt except my driver and 4i off the tee. Don’t have anything between the driver and 4i at the moment. 

5578F0CB-1D51-4D25-935B-DF79E98CB6B2.jpeg

FF7E12BD-5AE2-4A9D-900E-D50A1336B6E1.jpeg

C7BAD3AC-491A-40BD-B964-1DD3307D73DB.jpeg

F4F6A91E-7C41-47B7-B9D3-14EDC49131B8.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Thought I’d try my distances at full tilt at the range with Toptracer. 3 shots with each club all from the matt except my driver and 4i off the tee. Don’t have anything between the driver and 4i at the moment. 

5578F0CB-1D51-4D25-935B-DF79E98CB6B2.jpeg

FF7E12BD-5AE2-4A9D-900E-D50A1336B6E1.jpeg

C7BAD3AC-491A-40BD-B964-1DD3307D73DB.jpeg

F4F6A91E-7C41-47B7-B9D3-14EDC49131B8.jpeg

170 yards with your PW, that's insane. 

8 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Heads up for a new golf film guys.

Not often a film comes out based on our beloved pastime.

Looks pretty good!!

I remember Maurice Flitcroft😂

I am pretty sure he played in the Open Qualifying at Gullane, shot something like 125.

The old R&A Bufties were outraged😂

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

I remember Maurice Flitcroft😂

I am pretty sure he played in the Open Qualifying at Gullane, shot something like 125.

The old R&A Bufties were outraged😂

Im not clued up on the background however it sounds like this film is based off n the exact scenario you mention 👍

I tell a lie ( having checked) it was Formby GC in the qualifying for Birkdale

was close with the score though 👍

Any golfers on here members of dalmahoy?  House move in next few weeks means leaving glenbervie gc😥. Been looking at joining dalmahoy but heard sometimes difficult to get get times even as Members due to various corporate and visitors/ hotel guests. Never played any of the courses but hoping weather permitting I,ll maybe get up in next few weeks. Couple of guys I play with at gb recommended pumpherston too. Any advice will help a dithering senior. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

Any golfers on here members of dalmahoy?  House move in next few weeks means leaving glenbervie gc😥. Been looking at joining dalmahoy but heard sometimes difficult to get get times even as Members due to various corporate and visitors/ hotel guests. Never played any of the courses but hoping weather permitting I,ll maybe get up in next few weeks. Couple of guys I play with at gb recommended pumpherston too. Any advice will help a dithering senior. 

I'm not a member but always been a bit underwhelmed with the condition and layout. 

I'd simply advise to try it out to see if it fits your eye. Within the vicinity, I'd say Turnhouse is a far better course. 👍 

3 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

Pumpherston over Dalmahoy every time.

Pumphy is a good members club, usually in nice condition, if a bit wet in the winter.

Dalmahoy usual owned venue, emphasis on visitors and corporate, members tend to be an afterthought. Also pretty long course if your a senior.

Value for money Pumpherston every time

Ratho Park would also be good, but expect they might have a waiting list.

Harburn also good but a bit further west.(Livingston area)

Thanks for above replies. Confirms what I,d been told about dalmahoy. Briefly popped into pumpherston last week, very friendly and helpful. Hopefully get a round in before I decide but had heard good things about pumpherston.  Same travel from new house as dalmahoy too. No joining fee or waiting lists either👍.  Think waiting lists at ratho Park and Turnhouse, my current club glenbervie now has a 2 year wait, plus hefty joining fee. 

Never post very often on kb but I,ll need a new username. 😀

49 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Thanks for above replies. Confirms what I,d been told about dalmahoy. Briefly popped into pumpherston last week, very friendly and helpful. Hopefully get a round in before I decide but had heard good things about pumpherston.  Same travel from new house as dalmahoy too. No joining fee or waiting lists either👍.  Think waiting lists at ratho Park and Turnhouse, my current club glenbervie now has a 2 year wait, plus hefty joining fee. 

Think @Tommy Brownis a member at Pumpherston.

Might be worth dropping him a PM to get the inside scoop👍

1 hour ago, larbertjambo said:

Tried to pm you.

Obviously I'm biased, but would recommend Pumphy over any of the other local courses.

Medal most weekends, Seniors medal every Tuesday and midweek medal most Wednesdays.

Not sure if you get offered a trial round, but I could invite you along if you like.

Membership is March  to February.

As Merrymac says, we do suffer a bit whe heavy rains fall. But generally, it is a tidy course with a good layout.

36 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Tried to pm you.

Obviously I'm biased, but would recommend Pumphy over any of the other local courses.

Medal most weekends, Seniors medal every Tuesday and midweek medal most Wednesdays.

Not sure if you get offered a trial round, but I could invite you along if you like.

As Merrymac says, we do suffer a bit whe heavy rains fall. But generally, it is a tidy course with a good layout.

Cheers. Not sure how I didn't get message. 

Used to but before posting this I hadn't logged on here in ages. I,ll try and pm you. Many thanks for offer. Hoped to play sometime soon but weather and getting ready for house move. Plus an ever expanding tribe of grandkids (all based in edinburgh, hence the house move) mean my golf time isn't as much just now. 

Also a member at Pumpherston,it's a good course although a bit wet in winter,I much prefer it to all the other courses in the area.

19 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Tried to pm you.

Not any worse than other courses in the area Tommy, just giving an honest view.

WAs a member for around 3 years and enjoyed every minute, definitely recommend.

On 15/02/2022 at 21:23, Tommy Brown said:

Tried to pm you.

The second hole is terrible! The rest is good. 

7 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

The second hole is terrible! The rest is good. 

Terrible? As in, bloody hard and easy to run up a crazy score.

Or??

50 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Terrible? As in, bloody hard and easy to run up a crazy score.

Or??

Crazy hard! Getting the tee shot in position is tough. Then it’s a long second over a valley and pond on to the elevated green. 

10 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Crazy hard! Getting the tee shot in position is tough. Then it’s a long second over a valley and pond on to the elevated green. 

It's one of those take your medicine holes.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I think 13 is my record there.:lol:

I could quite believe it :lol:

Think my record on a hole is 14 when putting one of my first three cards in :rofl:

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

😨. You guys are putting me off now. 🤣. When I see water hazards I usually put another box of balls in the bag. 

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

If I remember rightly the first medal after it opened the AVERAGE score was something like 7.5🤪

Definitely a strategy hole.

4 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

😨. You guys are putting me off now. 🤣. When I see water hazards I usually put another box of balls in the bag. 

Dont be right off the tee. Then don’t be left second (or third) shot 😂