Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

18 holes in 18 hours

Too edited to keep video short.

Play 8th at Kilsindie, but not show the view from the tee to show why they are playing the hole.

Same at Anstruther, the toughest par 3 in UK. Not played but still dont know why.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looked like he'd never played golf in his life before going by those videos :lol:

Looks handy with putter. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/must-read/ps13k-payout-to-prestonfield-golf-club-greenkeeper-treated-with-utter-disregard-and-bullied-out-of-his-job-3431976

Got myself in a bun fight on Facebook.

Responded to a poster who hoped the club would be boycotted and go under.

A 2nd poster agreed after I said his comment was ridiculous.

I have went back a good few pages as Prestonfield was quite well spoken of.

I need a bit of ammo to back with.

Touched a nerve with me.

Its hardly the club's fault for the actions of one idiot.

Their only mistake was voting him in , in the first place

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looked like he'd never played golf in his life before going by those videos :lol:

3 handicap:ermm:

joondalupjambo

And so it begins.....

The Winter Eclectic is going to be counting again.  Nonsense in my view.  Interesting way of justifying from Match.  I cannot find anything by R&A and SGU that states they advise these comps are to be counting, might not be looking in the right places though.  Also I do not get the bit about keeping handicaps relevant because loads of members put their clubs away for the winter so they start again in the spring with the handicap they finished with when the clubs hit their cupboards or garage floor.  It means for these players their handicap are still relevant under the WHS system because they do not play winter golf so to me that second bit in bold is gobblygook.

This Saturday sees the start of the Winter Eclectic. This takes the form of weekly individual Stableford competitions, each with a Sweep and Twos, all of which count towards an Eclectic Competition (Scratch and Handicap) over the whole winter. 
For those unfamiliar, these will be 'non-courtesy' competitions, meaning that you book your tee time as you would any normal social game, but tell the Pro that you wish to take part in the Eclectic that day. You will then be able to input your score on the PSI screen in the clubhouse, or via the HowDidIDo app on your phone. 
We are aware that some members wish us to run these competitions as 'non counters' as far as handicap goes. To do so would go against the advice of the R&A and Scottish Golf. Winter handicaps are no longer offered in the World Handicap System, so it would be impossible to keep handicaps relevant if they were not counters. 
As a committee we have keenly debated the issue - which splits opinion with us just as it does the membership. We are committed, however, to the concept of encouraging members to submit as many counting scores as they can to maintain current and relevant handicaps. We have therefore decided that the Eclectic competitions will remain as counting competitions. 

If you complete a round of golf, you are meant to enter your score into the WHS. Doesn't matter if it's winter or not. Doesn't matter if it's a competition or not.. as long as it's solo and you hole out. I've never even heard of a winter handicap until I read your post. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

And so it begins.....

The Winter Eclectic is going to be counting again.  Nonsense in my view.  Interesting way of justifying from Match.  I cannot find anything by R&A and SGU that states they advise these comps are to be counting, might not be looking in the right places though.  Also I do not get the bit about keeping handicaps relevant because loads of members put their clubs away for the winter so they start again in the spring with the handicap they finished with when the clubs hit their cupboards or garage floor.  It means for these players their handicap are still relevant under the WHS system because they do not play winter golf so to me that second bit in bold is gobblygook.

This Saturday sees the start of the Winter Eclectic. This takes the form of weekly individual Stableford competitions, each with a Sweep and Twos, all of which count towards an Eclectic Competition (Scratch and Handicap) over the whole winter. 
For those unfamiliar, these will be 'non-courtesy' competitions, meaning that you book your tee time as you would any normal social game, but tell the Pro that you wish to take part in the Eclectic that day. You will then be able to input your score on the PSI screen in the clubhouse, or via the HowDidIDo app on your phone. 
We are aware that some members wish us to run these competitions as 'non counters' as far as handicap goes. To do so would go against the advice of the R&A and Scottish Golf. Winter handicaps are no longer offered in the World Handicap System, so it would be impossible to keep handicaps relevant if they were not counters. 
As a committee we have keenly debated the issue - which splits opinion with us just as it does the membership. We are committed, however, to the concept of encouraging members to submit as many counting scores as they can to maintain current and relevant handicaps. We have therefore decided that the Eclectic competitions will remain as counting competitions. 

One of my clubs are hosting autumn/winter competitions but they are non-counting. 

They also seem to have something in place to allocate a 'winter handicap' for an order of merit that will be running through to March. 

5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

And so it begins.....

Do you change tees in the winter ie move forward?

Surely this would alter the course rating as the slope is measured from specific tees.

I know many courses go onto tee mats and move them forward on to the fairway to save the teeing ground over the winter.Surely this would invalidate scores

I think you ae allowed 100 yards of a difference , but many courses would exceed that.

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

If you complete a round of golf, you are meant to enter your score into the WHS. Doesn't matter if it's winter or not. Doesn't matter if it's a competition or not.. as long as it's solo and you hole out. I've never even heard of a winter handicap until I read your post. 

Dont think so-

To calculate your Course Handicap yourself, find the Slope Rating and divide by 113, then multiply that by your Handicap Index. Will every round count for my handicap? No! Although a recreational round can be counting, you will have to select to pre-register before teeing off if you want it to.2 Nov 2020

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

At our club, if you win, you get deducted 2 off your handicap for the rest of winter.

So its pretty unofficial. More for fun.

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Dont think so-

To calculate your Course Handicap yourself, find the Slope Rating and divide by 113, then multiply that by your Handicap Index. Will every round count for my handicap? No! Although a recreational round can be counting, you will have to select to pre-register before teeing off if you want it to.2 Nov 2020

I know all the rounds don't count.. but under the philosophy of the WHS, every round is meant to. 

joondalupjambo
9 hours ago, merrymac said:

Do you change tees in the winter ie move forward?

Surely this would alter the course rating as the slope is measured from specific tees.

I know many courses go onto tee mats and move them forward on to the fairway to save the teeing ground over the winter.Surely this would invalidate scores

I think you ae allowed 100 yards of a difference , but many courses would exceed that.

Yeah shorter course within rules.  Here is the other stuff quoted.  Shorter course, preferred lies, mats et al but still counting.  Does my head in.

While weather conditions may be more challenging, other factors - such as the shortened lay out of the course, preferred lies and mats - can give good opportunity for scoring well. We all know how well our course withstands the winter and it remains eminently playable in the winter months.

If your round is played to a rated course (ie doesn't go shorter than allowed or is played to normal greens)then your round should count towards handicap.

In total agreement with @Bigsmak.

But it has caused issues at my place, mostly with folk not understanding WHS.

joondalupjambo
9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If your round is played to a rated course (ie doesn't go shorter than allowed or is played to normal greens)then your round should count towards handicap.

I agree but only if a rated course is being played without using mats.  I just cannot see how you can have a counting round using these things, they are potentially an artificial aid in some players view.

Just now, joondalupjambo said:

I agree but only if a rated course is being played without using mats.  I just cannot see how you can have a counting round using these things, they are potentially an artificial aid in some players view.

Mats are allowed, confirmed by the R&A/SGU when I queried it.

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Mats are allowed, confirmed by the R&A/SGU when I queried it.

Does not make it right though, just because these two say so.  Every club can implement local rules I would have thought? 

It is clear that many clubs are not having counting rounds over winter, and in many cases are having eclectics and other comps during that period that are not counting and all that is, as folk on here are saying is not in the spirit of the WHS system.  I am just in the camp of not having counting rounds over the winter and just cannot see any strong evidence as to why we should be. 

Just an old boy moaning though and I guess I can play or not play as it is up to me😄😄

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Does not make it right though, just because these two say so.  Every club can implement local rules I would have thought? 

It is clear that many clubs are not having counting rounds over winter, and in many cases are having eclectics and other comps during that period that are not counting and all that is, as folk on here are saying is not in the spirit of the WHS system.  I am just in the camp of not having counting rounds over the winter and just cannot see any strong evidence as to why we should be. 

Just an old boy moaning though and I guess I can play or not play as it is up to me😄😄

Haha all good!

To be honest I've the complete opposite and don't see playing for handicap over winter as being a problem, especially at courses such as yours where it's pretty much full course all year round.

We've moved to winter tees so our winter comp is now non-counting but I'll definitely be playing for handicap at other courses over the winter as I tend to try and take advantage of links courses over the winter.

31 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Liam am I correct in saying that every time you play golf your score should count is what you are promoting?

what happens then to a social game with a mate ? You are then under pressure every time you step on the course which is not the reason a lot of people play the game 

Also the slow play issue with every player having to hole out every putt.On currently very busy courses that will have a massive effect on speed of play. I think currently where you have the choice works well 

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Liam am I correct in saying that every time you play golf your score should count is what you are promoting?

what happens then to a social game with a mate ? You are then under pressure every time you step on the course which is not the reason a lot of people play the game 

Also the slow play issue with every player having to hole out every putt.On currently very busy courses that will have a massive effect on speed of play. I think currently where you have the choice works well 

Sorry yeah, I more meant that every time I personally hit the course I play for handicap as I believe it gives me a more realistic/accurate handicap. And that's really what SGU are trying to put across to golfers. But folk are free to do as they please, not everyone has a handicap nor is really that bothered about their handicap and that's fair enough.

I think I've maybe had 2 or 3 rounds this year when I didn't put a score in, and those were rounds played with someone who is new to golf and doesn't have a handicap so couldn't verify my score.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sorry yeah, I more meant that every time I personally hit the course I play for handicap as I believe it gives me a more realistic/accurate handicap. And that's really what SGU are trying to put across to golfers. But folk are free to do as they please, not everyone has a handicap nor is really that bothered about their handicap and that's fair enough.

I think I've maybe had 2 or 3 rounds this year when I didn't put a score in, and those were rounds played with someone who is new to golf and doesn't have a handicap so couldn't verify my score.

👍

i do think there has to be a choice though

i for one have played virtually only competitive golf for most of my golfing life and have no real appetite for it any more

dont get me wrong I still enjoy a few medal rounds each season but now I far more enjoy playing for a quid with my mates

any good system should allow participation but not force it on people .I think the current version pretty much covers all the bases

38 minutes ago, merrymac said:

👍

i do think there has to be a choice though

i for one have played virtually only competitive golf for most of my golfing life and have no real appetite for it any more

dont get me wrong I still enjoy a few medal rounds each season but now I far more enjoy playing for a quid with my mates

any good system should allow participation but not force it on people .I think the current version pretty much covers all the bases

Yeah agree re the current make up of WHS.

I do believe though that if a competition is played to a full course, regardless of time of year, should be counting.

52 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah agree re the current make up of WHS.

I do believe though that if a competition is played to a full course, regardless of time of year, should be counting.

Yep we do that👍

Samuel Camazzola

Alan Tait has a tie-in with various clubs and will be promoting several deals each few days should anyone be keen on a bargain somewhere. 

The Murcar offer is pretty good. 

This is a bizarre one. On the course I don't have an issue driving it whereas at the range I continuously get under the ball and end up with pitching wedge style shots.... Is the roof above me messing with my head? or is it simply the tee's are to high?

William H. Bonney
39 minutes ago, Jeff said:

This is a bizarre one. On the course I don't have an issue driving it whereas at the range I continuously get under the ball and end up with pitching wedge style shots.... Is the roof above me messing with my head? or is it simply the tee's are to high?

I’m the opposite. I’m like a ****ing pro at the range. Pin point accuracy. 

52 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

I’m pish at both :lol:

53 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

I’m pish at both :lol:

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Think the tees are a bit high, I always found that. Go to a range with adjustable height tees now, which sorted it.

You may also be getting a bit steep on the downswing causing the ball to pop up.

I never knew there was a tee height restriction in golf. I cannot play with a high tee, so will never affect me.

You can imagine though that the interruption is going to unsettle him, certainly would with me

Swede Jesper Kenngard refused to blame his final round being interrupted by rules officials to check the length of his tees for missing out on a golden opportunity to win a European Tour card.

Jesper Kennegard's high tee on the first during the final round of Rolex Challenge Tour Grand Final supported by the R&A at T-Golf & Country Club in Mallorca. 

Holding a one-shot lead heading into the last day of the Rolex Challenge Tour Grand Final at T-Golf & Country Club in Mallorca, the 33-year-old was on course to be among the 20 players securing a step up to the main circuit.

But it all went awry for Kennegard after one of his playing partners asked for rules officials to take a look at the height he tees the ball after that had been highlighted in a social media clip during Saturday’s third round.

Using a tape measure, officials deemed that he was not exceeding the four-inch limit but, after dropping a shot at the next hole, he went on to card an untidy 77 to finish 27th in the Road to Mallorca Rankings.

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I never knew there was a tee height restriction in golf. I cannot play with a high tee, so will never affect me.

You can imagine though that the interruption is going to unsettle him, certainly would with me

Swede Jesper Kenngard refused to blame his final round being interrupted by rules officials to check the length of his tees for missing out on a golden opportunity to win a European Tour card.

Jesper Kennegard's high tee on the first during the final round of Rolex Challenge Tour Grand Final supported by the R&A at T-Golf & Country Club in Mallorca. 

Holding a one-shot lead heading into the last day of the Rolex Challenge Tour Grand Final at T-Golf & Country Club in Mallorca, the 33-year-old was on course to be among the 20 players securing a step up to the main circuit.

But it all went awry for Kennegard after one of his playing partners asked for rules officials to take a look at the height he tees the ball after that had been highlighted in a social media clip during Saturday’s third round.

Using a tape measure, officials deemed that he was not exceeding the four-inch limit but, after dropping a shot at the next hole, he went on to card an untidy 77 to finish 27th in the Road to Mallorca Rankings.

What a total twat who pulled a rules official in for that. 🤬

On 04/11/2021 at 14:19, Jeff said:

I always find it’s the tees for me at the range. I absolute hate the driving range. A few mates say to me they hit perfect drives on a nice mat and tee at the driving range, but I’m the complete opposite. I hate the range I don’t even enjoy it or come away thinking I’ve worked well on this or that. 

56 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I always find it’s the tees for me at the range. I absolute hate the driving range. A few mates say to me they hit perfect drives on a nice mat and tee at the driving range, but I’m the complete opposite. I hate the range I don’t even enjoy it or come away thinking I’ve worked well on this or that. 

I played during the weekend and realised I use a low tee so I'm guessing it is that and I've just never thought about it.

Aye I hate the range too... Always feel claustrophobic

16 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I hate the range too. Id rather just get our there and play. A bad round is still more fun than going to the range.

4 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

I hate the range too. Id rather just get our there and play. A bad round is still more fun than going to the range.

Yeah totally agree mate!. When I go to the range its either after work or in the evening and I can't really be arsed I wear trainers shorts or jeans, don't take my full bag of clubs in. If i get 100 balls i'm bored after 60/70 same if I get 50 CBA after 20 odd. 

I don't mind the practice greens at Kingsfield. But I would rather go for a round of golf than pay to go to a driving range. 

I P Knightley

I know that WHS has been discussed but I'm doing a bit of a catch up as I have been working on getting myself a handicap after a few years without any membership. 

I've entered 3 rounds into the app; two of which were on the same course, off the same tees, with a total par score of 70 and a slope rating of 132. 

One round was 88 (my old handicap fluctuated between 17 & 18) but the app gives me a "diff" of 15.8.

The next was 83 (I'm erratic!) and the "diff" on the app is 10.7. 

The difference between the diffs is not consistent. 

For my 3rd round, course with a slope of 131, I was 14 over par and the diff is given as 11. 

I'd have thought that my WHS index would be an average of those diffs but, no; it's given me 8.7, which I've never scored near to. 

Luckily, I don't go into many competitions, just the odd charity day. I wanted to have an honest handicap but feel that I won't be troubling the scorers for a while!

Your initial handicap is the best of your first 3 round minus 2 strokes.

So 10.7 - 2 for an 8.7.

When you submit your 4th it’ll be your best score minus 1 stroke.

You’ll find your handicap fluctuates a lot until you get a good bank of scores in.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Your initial handicap is the best of your first 3 round minus 2 strokes.

So 10.7 - 2 for an 8.7.

When you submit your 4th it’ll be your best score minus 1 stroke.

You’ll find your handicap fluctuates a lot until you get a good bank of scores in.

From your committee role, you may know best... If someone is playing for their handicap, does the net double bogey maximum adjustment apply too? 

Samuel Camazzola

It's been a while, so I took a wee visit to Gullane today for a game on #2. 

Cracking mild, sunny day and the course condition was immaculate. Greens were running true and quite slick. Fairways were firm and looking great. 

Brilliant value as their special rates are in play. 

An observation from the range and putting green is the local old boys love their iron covers! 😂 That's a golfing faux pax that seems to have been around for a couple of generations. (Apologies to any on here who sport these monstrosities 😂). 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From your committee role, you may know best... If someone is playing for their handicap, does the net double bogey maximum adjustment apply too? 

It doesn’t, we had folk get handicaps in to 40’s.

Samuel Camazzola
51 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It doesn’t, we had folk get handicaps in to 40’s.

Hopefully, they are letting folk through. 😄

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

An observation from the range and putting green is the local old boys love their iron covers! 😂 That's a golfing faux pax that seems to have been around for a couple of generations. (Apologies to any on here who sport these monstrosities 😂). 

I wonder if they’d take a drop if their lie was in danger of scuffing the club! No chipping from a cart path. 

18 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cracking mild, sunny day and the course condition was immaculate. Greens were running true and quite slick. Fairways were firm and looking great. 

Faux pax is itself a faux pas!

On 11/11/2021 at 20:12, Samuel Camazzola said:

No need to apologise. I've found when it's time to buy into the manufacturers bullshit (again). If the soft forged heads have been protected by the £10 monstrosities, my re-sale value is enhanced by £80-£120...funny as!  

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, OBE said:

No need to apologise. I've found when it's time to buy into the manufacturers bullshit (again). If the soft forged heads have been protected by the £10 monstrosities, my re-sale value is enhanced by £80-£120...funny as!  

Must be a Golf Coast trend. 😂

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, OBE said:

Corrosive, salty air...

Goes for everything. Going by the Gullane old boys' swings, their joints seem to have been rusted badly. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Goes for everything. Going by the Gullane old boys' swings, their joints seem to have been rusted badly. 

The GOB's, how were the identifiable as such, just curious?