Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

30 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sympathy's mate its murder when that happens.

If you have a driving range nearby try to go there a couple of times a week, and concentrate solely on striking, until you feel you have your confidence back. Avoid playing during that period.

It works for me, and gets you away from the end result, and focus on making a good swing.

Hope it helps.  

Brutal eh? I've gone from wanting to play practically every day to having played 4 or 5 times since the start of September.

There's a range yeah. I think I'm going to take up a local coaches winter lesson package. It's a great deal, £120 for 2 half hour lessons per month, October to March.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Brutal eh? I've gone from wanting to play practically every day to having played 4 or 5 times since the start of September.

There's a range yeah. I think I'm going to take up a local coaches winter lesson package. It's a great deal, £120 for 2 half hour lessons per month, October to March.

That's a good plan, having a thought to focus on can really help.

Often when you play a lot you start to forget what the object of the game is, and lose focus.

15 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haven't played in a couple weeks and tbh I've lost the bug a bit. 

Got down to 8, then game fell to bits and can barely hit 16 never mind 8. Zero confidence and no desire to go out for a round.

I played Monday first time in months can’t see myself playing again this year. I have been choked with the flu what never helped . Drumoig is a no bad course the turn is good done not bad never lost a ball to the water 😂

Think the clubs will be getting put in the shed for the winter this weekend . 

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's a good deal. Where is this about. 

Often it's the simple things that can make a difference. This short snippet from Trevino is very good and worthwhile taking to the range. 

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Playing Gleneagles PGA on Thursday!  

I've played the queens.. looking forward to it

I liked it a lot. Some cracking holes. 

Garcia's shot on 18 when paired with Rory in 2014 was put into perspective when I played the hole myself. How he managed to manoeuvre a wood from trees on the right to a green that sits like a table top was sensational. 

6 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Playing Gleneagles PGA on Thursday!  

I've played the queens.. looking forward to it

Good course sure you will enjoy it.

Hope your feeling fit, a few long walks between holes.

12 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Good course sure you will enjoy it.

Hope your feeling fit, a few long walks between holes.

feck

Quick question, I handed in an iron to be repaired 3 weeks ago with local pro. They said it had to be sent to Ping for repair. Do you think it should have been returned by now or am I being impatient?

54 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Quick question, I handed in an iron to be repaired 3 weeks ago with local pro. They said it had to be sent to Ping for repair. Do you think it should have been returned by now or am I being impatient?

What was the issue with it? Mailing away and getting it returned will take weeks I imagine. 

8 minutes ago, kila said:

What was the issue with it? Mailing away and getting it returned will take weeks I imagine. 

Broken shaft. Might give them a call today and see how it’s getting on.

47 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Broken shaft. Might give them a call today and see how it’s getting on.

Has your pro ordered the shaft and is going to do the work or have they just sent it to Ping? I usually order new shafts on eBay and get my pro to do the work.

44 minutes ago, kila said:

Has your pro ordered the shaft and is going to do the work or have they just sent it to Ping? I usually order new shafts on eBay and get my pro to do the work.

Straight to Ping. I’m playing St Andrews new course next week and would like to tackle it with all my clubs. I thought it would be returned by now but obviously not. Will give them a bell on Monday and see if they can give ping a chase.

4 hours ago, dicksojo said:

My mate broke his 7 iron over a month ago, Ping as well, think he's still waiting too.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My mate broke his 7 iron over a month ago, Ping as well, think he's still waiting too.

Bloody hell. That’s ridiculous. Fingers crossed he gets it back soon.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Hit the flag one a 165 yard par 3 today and walked away with bogey. Sigh

I horse-shoed out for an ace at the 14th at Craigmillar Park many moons ago and walked away with a four. The ball trickled down a tier and I made a mess of the birdie putt back up the hill. 

I got unlucky at the 10th at Lothianburn too. Clipped the pin and the backspin sent the ball down the gully at the front of the green. 

Samuel Camazzola

Great stuff from Fiizpatrick this weekend on a very tough course. It's good watching tournaments wherw the winning score is only - 6.

Santa Ponsa next week.

55 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great stuff from Fiizpatrick this weekend on a very tough course. It's good watching tournaments wherw the winning score is only - 6.

Santa Ponsa next week.

Spain has had alot of events this year on the European Tour

Just want to have a rant about how poor the coverage of the CJ cup is. Course is there for the taking, loads of guys playing some ridiculous golf and going super low yet the coverage doesn't start until 10pm every night of the tournament when half the field is already finished for the day. Frustrating. 

57 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Santa Ponsa next week.

Course has been very difficult Rahm missed the cut with a whopping +10 over the first two rounds. Still had time to stop and spend about 2 hours meeting Spanish fans and signing autographs.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Course has been very difficult Rahm missed the cut with a whopping +10 over the first two rounds. Still had time to stop and spend about 2 hours meeting Spanish fans and signing autographs.

It looks solid and the greens are rapid. Much more enjoyable watching guys plot their way around where pars are good scores than the usual target golf on the PGA Tour. 

On 16/10/2021 at 13:58, hmfc_liam06 said:

Picked up my repaired club today a little after 3 weeks from handing it in. Hopefully your mate has got his back but might want to give them a nudge if not.

Picked up this interesting stat from a UK golf club ( don't know which one).

52 % of competition winners now in the 19 + bracket

Obviously single figure players are a dying breed 2019 -16% 2021- 8% 😒

Think this new system might be benefiting the high handicap player to a bit of an excess.

128fd36a-2a67-4011-bc79-e1dcd3bd9393.JPG.5648fea46953e644396de3ca6381af28.JPG

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Picked up this interesting stat from a UK golf club ( don't know which one).

52 % of competition winners now in the 19 + bracket

Obviously single figure players are a dying breed 2019 -16% 2021- 8% 😒

Think this new system might be benefiting the high handicap player to a bit of an excess.

128fd36a-2a67-4011-bc79-e1dcd3bd9393.JPG.5648fea46953e644396de3ca6381af28.JPG

I still believe competition handicaps should be capped. A lot of Opens apply this rule but to have a 28+ handicapper return a 46 pointer and scoop the prize is demoralising. 😄

We cap ours at 28.

I'd say the vast majority of winners are in a 0-14 bracket, with very little winners over 15.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare it to one year only. If they're trying to gauge the new handicap system, it has to be done over multiple previous years. Who's to say 2019 wasn't a bit of an anomoly?

The one thing I find hilarious is sweeps.

The amount of sub-10 handicappers who refuse to pay it because "I can't win it because of the high handicappers" is unreal. That's usually then followed up by a sub-10 handicapper winning the sweep. Every week.

I grabbed 2nd place this year by finishing 9th in the competition.

Actually, scrap all of that, I hope they continue to not pay :lol:

I think the WHS is fine but it does allow much more upwards movement of handicap due to being average based.  Under the CONGU system,  everyone went up 0.1 per round,  regardless of how many shots outside of handicap you were.  A higher handicapper could very easily have their once in every few years score and get cut about 3 full shots.  But it took 30 medals to go back up.  The WHS allows players to return to a more realistic handicap in quicker time.  I see that being the reason for some players winning more often.  Previously players would spend more time on too low a mark.

Samuel Camazzola
12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We cap ours at 28.

I'd say the vast majority of winners are in a 0-14 bracket, with very little winners over 15.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare it to one year only. If they're trying to gauge the new handicap system, it has to be done over multiple previous years. Who's to say 2019 wasn't a bit of an anomoly?

Club comps or just the opens, Liam? 

11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

Incidentally, we don't actually have a great deal of golfers with a handicap over 28, and those that have played any comps have never finished first (had their full handicap been given).

In all honesty, and as harsh as it may be, if you're over 28 you shouldn't be playing competition. Just concentrate on improving, enjoying golf and put general play scores in.

17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Incidentally, we don't actually have a great deal of golfers with a handicap over 28, and those that have played any comps have never finished first (had their full handicap been given).

In all honesty, and as harsh as it may be, if you're over 28 you shouldn't be playing competition. Just concentrate on improving, enjoying golf and put general play scores in.

Hows Lochgelly looking mate ? depending on the weather going to get a game next Sunday, Probably last game of the year either Lochgelly or Dora.

Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

Hows Lochgelly looking mate ? depending on the weather going to get a game next Sunday, Probably last game of the year either Lochgelly or Dora.

Wet! I was over yesterday for a walk. Cowdenbeath won't be any better.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Wet! I was over yesterday for a walk. Cowdenbeath won't be any better.

Yeah it looks like the rain will clear up mid week but i'd imagine the course will be still wet in places, I might end back up at Drumoig in a couple of weeks depending on the weather. 

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Yeah it looks like the rain will clear up mid week but i'd imagine the course will be still wet in places, I might end back up at Drumoig in a couple of weeks depending on the weather. 

Drumoig & St Michaels are my usual go to winter courses.

11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Two of three parts to an interest watch with several familiar courses given exposure. 

Can't believe Cotter shat out of playing the 18th at St Andrews :lol:

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Drumoig & St Michaels are my usual go to winter courses.

Just had a look at St Michaels now looks good I haven't played it before. Might get up there before Christmas. 

I really enjoyed Drumoig a few week ago I wasn't well when playing horrible cold but still went will be good to play it fully fit 😂

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can't believe Cotter shat out of playing the 18th at St Andrews :lol:

He's probably played it dozens of times. From his podcast last year, he has mentioned he hadn't swung a club for a couple of years and didn't want the embarrassment of scudding one into the burn or through a window of the Russacks. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Just had a look at St Michaels now looks good I haven't played it before. Might get up there before Christmas. 

I really enjoyed Drumoig a few week ago I wasn't well when playing horrible cold but still went will be good to play it fully fit 😂

Get up to the Old Course on Christmas morning. Join the queue and you'll get to play it for free! 😄

19 hours ago, Victorian said:

I think the WHS is fine but it does allow much more upwards movement of handicap due to being average based.  Under the CONGU system,  everyone went up 0.1 per round,  regardless of how many shots outside of handicap you were.  A higher handicapper could very easily have their once in every few years score and get cut about 3 full shots.  But it took 30 medals to go back up.  The WHS allows players to return to a more realistic handicap in quicker time.  I see that being the reason for some players winning more often.  Previously players would spend more time on too low a mark.

My dad doesn't the best part of 10 years going up point 1 in nearly every medal he played. He was 13 or so.. now 23. Under the WHS he would have managed that in a couple of years rather than it taking this long. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/must-read/ps13k-payout-to-prestonfield-golf-club-greenkeeper-treated-with-utter-disregard-and-bullied-out-of-his-job-3431976

Got myself in a bun fight on Facebook.

Responded to a poster who hoped the club would be boycotted and go under.

A 2nd poster agreed after I said his comment was ridiculous.

I have went back a good few pages as Prestonfield was quite well spoken of.

I need a bit of ammo to back with.

Touched a nerve with me.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He's probably played it dozens of times. From his podcast last year, he has mentioned he hadn't swung a club for a couple of years and didn't want the embarrassment of scudding one into the burn or through a window of the Russacks. 

Looked like he'd never played golf in his life before going by those videos :lol: