Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Why do folk suddenly think it's ok to be on a golf course?

Dog walkers etc always happen, don't think any club has any real issue there. 99% of the time they would keep their dog on a lead and clean up after but all of a sudden it's like free reign on a golf course.

We built a cairn last year at the 8th, it has been partly knocked over. Folk on bikes on greens. Folk on the course drinking in bunkers. Families out and letting their kids play in bunkers. None of this happened prior to this lockdown, so why now?

Because there are no golfers to keep them in check.

Shitehawks.

We tolerate them as long as they're not being stupid. stick to the edges of the course.

We are not there, they dont care, walking over greens instead of around.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John mcCartney

Some punter I was chatting with pointed out that parks are closed at the mo,are they?
maybe that explains how punters are invading golfing land.......
some  will be fascinated with courses as usually out of bounds for them and theyre wantin a gander.
I sent an email to the secretary volunteering for machine gun duties however.

My cunning moves at covert golf proving very fruitful,swing feeling great and Im back to my callaway x forged irons
from ping i 500
n.b Im only taking out one iron

Edited by John mcCartney

4 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Some punter I was chatting with pointed out that parks are closed at the mo,are they?
maybe that explains how punters are invading golfing land.......
some  will be fascinated with courses as usually out of bounds for them and theyre wantin a gander.
I sent an email to the secretary volunteering for machine gun duties however.

My cunning moves at covert golf proving very fruitful,swing feeling great and Im back to my callaway x forged irons
from ping i 500
n.b Im only taking out one iron

Parks not closed only "play parks".

Jealous of your practice, net in the back garden for me.

John mcCartney

Im just walking around an undisclosed course at twylight mate,half a dozen balls n a club.Replacing divs and plug marks.

Disgusting behaviour I know and definitely not advocating you to encourage in downright depravity............

On 15/04/2020 at 10:22, hmfc_liam06 said:

Why do folk suddenly think it's ok to be on a golf course?

Dog walkers etc always happen, don't think any club has any real issue there. 99% of the time they would keep their dog on a lead and clean up after but all of a sudden it's like free reign on a golf course.

We built a cairn last year at the 8th, it has been partly knocked over. Folk on bikes on greens. Folk on the course drinking in bunkers. Families out and letting their kids play in bunkers. None of this happened prior to this lockdown, so why now?

What course is that at ?

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

What course is that at ?

I'm at Lochgelly in Fife. We've got a guy on video out walking his dog, who bury the ball in the bunkers for his dog to dig out.

:seething:

joondalupjambo

Should members be allowed to walk over their own course?

Should members be allowed to walk their dogs, on a lead of course, over their own course?

In both cases staying off the greens.

And folk thought the questions on lock downs were important :rolleyes2:

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Should members be allowed to walk over their own course?

Should members be allowed to walk their dogs, on a lead of course, over their own course?

In both cases staying off the greens.

And folk thought the questions on lock downs were important :rolleyes2:

And if questioned...

Why the golf balls Mr Member?

They're for the dog.   Loves a golf ball.

And the 7-iron?

That's his too.   

joondalupjambo

Cannae be Pro V's though surely, would have to be those brick hard things out of Sports Direct :pleased:

Yes I would love to be knee high in cabbage,  right up the sheriff's of a large tree,  hitting left handed with an inverted 9 iron,   trying to save quadruple bogey with a miracle and a single putt to save breaking 90.     :(

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes I would love to be knee high in cabbage,  right up the sheriff's of a large tree,  hitting left handed with an inverted 9 iron,   trying to save quadruple bogey with a miracle and a single putt to save breaking 90.     :(

Knifing a chip,

thining an iron that nips the hands.

duck hooking into the bundi

missing from two feet.

three putting the last to miss buffer by one.

All sound absolutely beautiful now:byebye:

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Knifing a chip,

thining an iron that nips the hands.

duck hooking into the bundi

missing from two feet.

three putting the last to miss buffer by one.

All sound absolutely beautiful now:byebye:

:Agree:

Even the nauseating,  heart stopping realisation that one has just had a full bash septic tank OB.    

Edited by Victorian

Ah the feeling of trying to flob one out of the catbox,   only for the ball to squirrell around on the top of the face for half an hour and eventually get sooked back down.     Lovely.

The joy of setting up for that big power fade round the dogleg,   only to put a filthy double-cross on it and the ball ends up in the next postcode.    

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The joy of setting up for that big power fade round the dogleg,   only to put a filthy double-cross on it and the ball ends up in the next postcode.    

😂 One of my regular favourites

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The 'I'll just finish' two footer that doesn't even touch the hole as you rack up a four putt 6

They all sound so wonderful !!!

It won’t even benefit me as I wouldn’t be able to get out golfing right now but I can’t see how folk can’t go golfing, even if they staggered the tee times to 20 mins apart and have it solely as single players only. 

11 hours ago, Irufushi said:

It won’t even benefit me as I wouldn’t be able to get out golfing right now but I can’t see how folk can’t go golfing, even if they staggered the tee times to 20 mins apart and have it solely as single players only. 

Exactly the general public seem to be swarming all over golf courses at the moment (and causing damage in some cases)

So what is the actual difference.

The only issue I can see is unnecessary travel, but in the case of most courses the public are doing that to go walking.

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Exactly the general public seem to be swarming all over golf courses at the moment (and causing damage in some cases)

So what is the actual difference.

The only issue I can see is unnecessary travel, but in the case of most courses the public are doing that to go walking.

I agree. Why not just open up courses to members only for the time being? I'm going along to my place again today to check to see what the ******s have been up to now...

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Another week of glorious sunshine ahead. This is torture!

Yep the weather has been great ever since they shut the courses. Co-incidence I think not ,just upping the level of punishment for us poor golfers.,

Is there no mercy!!

Got the last tee time for tomorrow if anybody's interested, it's a wee bit away but guaranteed Covid-19 free, atmosphere is pretty shite but the ball travels for an eternity...15:30 Sea of Tranguillity the Moon.

11 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Got the last tee time for tomorrow if anybody's interested, it's a wee bit away but guaranteed Covid-19 free, atmosphere is pretty shite but the ball travels for an eternity...15:30 Sea of Tranguillity the Moon.

Is it not still on mats? 😂

3 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor, possible text that says 'ALLOWED NOT ALLOWED'

Gotta open up the courses, there would be an instant run on memberships, no club would die!...do it, do it, do it.

Tommy Brown
12 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Gotta open up the courses, there would be an instant run on memberships, no club would die!...do it, do it, do it.

Got a whisper, yesterday about my club.

Only 30% subs paid so far.

I'm sure though this won't include the Fairway Credit users.

Concerning times.

Everybody Loves Baz!
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Got a whisper, yesterday about my club.

Only 30% subs paid so far.

I'm sure though this won't include the Fairway Credit users.

Concerning times.

Got an email from our Captain last week saying we're about £200k less than last year in Subscriptions.

Also, though whilst he understood the current financial troubles people are facing, those who had withheld paying their fees until the Course opens back up thinking they would only need to pay a % were going to be in for a shock. Full payment required. Although anyone paying by DD have the full year to pay and not the usual 6-8 months.
I payed mine in full and got a wee email yesterday saying my bar bill had the token £30 added to it which will pay the first few drinks upon my return and my first N/R.

Cannae wait.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Got an email from our Captain last week saying we're about £200k less than last year in Subscriptions.

Also, though whilst he understood the current financial troubles people are facing, those who had withheld paying their fees until the Course opens back up thinking they would only need to pay a % were going to be in for a shock. Full payment required. Although anyone paying by DD have the full year to pay and not the usual 6-8 months.
I payed mine in full and got a wee email yesterday saying my bar bill had the token £30 added to it which will pay the first few drinks upon my return and my first N/R.

Cannae wait.

That's a very bold stance, fair play to your club. And it's only fair to those who paid on time prior to lockdown. 

Everybody Loves Baz!
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's a very bold stance, fair play to your club. And it's only fair to those who paid on time prior to lockdown. 

I too think it's bold, and correct. 

Paying from the start I feel it would be unfair on myself if, at anytime-in the near future, the course re-opens, all the Auld Codgers who moan about everything to do with change and usually take all the good tee-times due to be retired, just come back pay a part fee and carry on as nothing has happened, that would piss me off.

And from what I hear, it's this age group who have been abstaining from paying. Bad enough that they don't pay full fees in the first place, but to deny the club of much needed cash flow, really boils ma piss lol.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Paying from the start I feel it would be unfair on myself if, at anytime-in the near future, the course re-opens, all the Auld Codgers who moan about everything to do with change and usually take all the good tee-times due to be retired, just come back pay a part fee and carry on as nothing has happened, that would piss me off.

And from what I hear, it's this age group who have been abstaining from paying. Bad enough that they don't pay full fees in the first place, but to deny the club of much needed cash flow, really boils ma piss lol.

We are the opposite, our seniors section pay their dues in Jan despite not required till March.

We've had a few enquiries from paid up members who are asking if we will be adding the time lost to the current membership. Something we are considering. But I would be surprised if we offered any sort of discount to those who haven't paid up. It's just not fair on those that have paid up, including me.

2 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Totally the opposite at my club. The seniors have been putting their hands in their pockets without question, whereas the younger members have been holding off and querying.

hmfc_liam06
45 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The thought of withholding my monthly payment never even crossed my mind. The club would be ****ed if folk did this. 

We've got one guy who emailed the club to say he's rejoining but only when the lockdown is over. And when he does he wants to pay it up. Looking forward to seeing his face when he's told to bolt :lol:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We've got one guy who emailed the club to say he's rejoining but only when the lockdown is over. And when he does he wants to pay it up. Looking forward to seeing his face when he's told to bolt :lol:

Some people just dont get that being a member of a club is a two way thing.

The usual type always complaining but first to bolt when the club needs their backing.

Not real members in the true sense.

I’d be pissed if my club has reduced fees when this whole thing is over. Had a few emails from the club saying they have opened up a few different payment options for folk which is good. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

I’d be pissed if my club has reduced fees when this whole thing is over. Had a few emails from the club saying they have opened up a few different payment options for folk which is good. 

Yeah it would be an equally brave club to make the decision. I think we may look at extending the membership year to accommodate the lost time but that'll be it, certainly won't be any discounts.

Tommy Brown
33 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Some people just dont get that being a member of a club is a two way thing.

The usual type always complaining but first to bolt when the club needs their backing.

Not real members in the true sense.

I think most clubs have a hardcore membership. Nearly everyone in this group will pay up.

Some will struggle maybe to find the cash or just chance theie oar in a game of poker to see who flinches first.

Most clubs also go down the discount route for certain age groups, I imaine a lot of floating members are in the groups.

The float from club to club based on the best deal.

I imagine a good majority  of this group are the non-payers.

These guys are going to be your new members at discounted (pro-rata) ie getting a double discount

my club memberships (these bloody discounts weren't around when this old git was a lad, meh..)

Adult full £655.00
Adult aged 25-29 years £375.00
Adult aged 22-24 years £250.00
Adult aged 19-21 years £150.00
Adult 5-Day member £460.00

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I think most clubs have a hardcore membership. Nearly everyone in this group will pay up.

Some will struggle maybe to find the cash or just chance theie oar in a game of poker to see who flinches first.

Most clubs also go down the discount route for certain age groups, I imaine a lot of floating members are in the groups.

These guys are going to be your new members at discounted (pro-rata) ie getting a double discount

my club memberships (these bloody discounts weren't around when this old git was a lad, meh..)

Adult full £655.00

Great prices. Fair bit cheaper than my course! 

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah it would be an equally brave club to make the decision. I think we may look at extending the membership year to accommodate the lost time but that'll be it, certainly won't be any discounts.

Its all very well looking at extending membership times etc, but clubs will be struggling for cash if this ban extends well into the season. I think it is most likely that clubs will be looking for more in the way of subs. Reduced income and reduced membership numbers could mean the end for a lot of struggling clubs, which is why we should all support if we possibly can.

On 19/04/2020 at 18:47, Tommy Brown said:

Adult full £655.00

I take it that's for Pumpherston? I have paid my membership for the year,5 day membership as I don't usually play Weekend's.

spirt of 98
On 19/04/2020 at 21:31, merrymac said:

Its all very well looking at extending membership times etc, but clubs will be struggling for cash if this ban extends well into the season. I think it is most likely that clubs will be looking for more in the way of subs. Reduced income and reduced membership numbers could mean the end for a lot of struggling clubs, which is why we should all support if we possibly can.

I got an email from my club telling me that they have enough cash to see them through due to years of proper financial management. The email also said the SGU expect to see 10/15% of clubs closing for good. 

8 hours ago, Irufushi said:

My club teasing me with these kind of pictures! 

FF4C7463-59D5-4CA6-B03B-89221B0AAED2.jpeg

And you us, all it needs is golfers, then it would be a masterpiece.

Is that a wee burn/river twisting?

6 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

And you us, all it needs is golfers, then it would be a masterpiece.

Is that a wee burn/river twisting?

Yea it’s a series of burns and ponds that run through the lower half of the course. 

Tommy Brown

Going back to Golf subscriptions.

I mentioned this in a recent post, but nobody took me up on it.

Golfshake quote:-

Unsurprisingly, for those most keen golfers, memberships are still attractive, while the opportunity to play competitively and to maintain an official handicap is a major draw.

When the World Handicap System is introduced later this year, it will be fascinating to see if that somewhat alters the dynamic.

my view:-

If the current pandemic is not a hammer blow enough to golf subscriptions, the new system would also have been a punch into the ribcage.

This is going to allow unattached golfer play medal rounds as often as they can find an open competion to play.

Do clubs combat this with Opens only to attached golfers? my preference.

Believe me, I toyed with this idea several years ago. I barely could fit a game golf in due to other activities and my club not having midweek medals.

I was thinking of joining Oatridge, paying 50% of my current subs and playing opens in a spare weekend.

I have 43 years unbroken membership at Pumphy, the emotional attachment is to great for me to let go.

Thankfully, midweek medals started, I manage at  least a dozen each season. This year they are adding seniors midweek medals, also :jambobanana:

Over the last couple of years, I gave my Tyney ST thanks to CL's dreadful football and fell in love with golf again.

Last year managed 21 home medals and 21 opens. I feel now, I get value from my subscription.

My next problem, is how do I support Hearts financially, I have my continuous FoH donation since day 1.

source - https://www.golfshake.com/news/view/14888/Main_Reasons_Why_Golfers_Join_Golf_Clubs.html

joinagolfclub_awjmen.jpg

there is also this

https://www.golfshake.com/news/view/13575/What_Stops_Golfers_Joining_Clubs.html

How do you go about starting to play golf? 

I love watching it, just never played it since I was a kid but I want to start playing. 

Obviously i can't just turn up at a course and start playing because i'll be absolutely gash and that will probably make me chuck it too quickly. 

Don't know how to hold a club, don't know how to swing a club, can you hire folk to give you lessons and does it cost a lot?