Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Unworkable, Liam.

It's effectively giving a discount. Do all seasons start at new date.

New members pay a pro rata up to March, yes.

I've seen a load of other clubs going that way. It just means no one is losing out and clubs just adjust when their memberships are due.

If clubs don't start thinking out the box there'll be many go to the wall.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Brown
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've seen a load of other clubs going that way. If clubs don't start thinking out the box there'll be many go to the wall.

Your researching, so I won't say your wrong.

Just hope the handicap thing doesn't stop people joining either.

spirt of 98
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Different club structures.

My club is private, shortfalls have to be met by members. We have applied for a grant of £25k in the expectations of floating members not renewing. Wouldn't dream of asking for a refund.

Places like Deer Park, subscription attached with leisure, next to no voting rights. They may get hit.

Hopefully, a one off year, if you can afford, keep paying. If not, tough decisions. Don't want to see clubs in bother .

Thing is staff can be forloughed apart from the essential skeleton greenskeeping staff. 

I would suggest paying up the other 20% of wages and squaring up members. 

As I’ve said before, our feed have been suspended and will not begin until a month after we have started golfing again, those who have paid for the year will have this amount deducted from next years fees. I thought this was an extremely generous offer and came completely out the blue, I was expecting to pay throughout this. With a bit common sense golf courses could be the first places to have restrictions reduced, as it is exercise most people don’t travel a great distance to their club and it can be played whilst also adhering to Social Distancing advice.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Thing is staff can be forloughed apart from the essential skeleton greenskeeping staff. 

I would suggest paying up the other 20% of wages and squaring up members. 

Be great to know all of these clubs with all this cash that can just refund members :lol:

Wages aren't the only fixed monthly outgoings that clubs or businesses have.

Sounds like our place is taking the opportunity to do extensive work on the greens that would never have been possible without the zero traffic on the course.     Sounds quite good.     

Biggest issue for most clubs even whilst not running are insurance costs plus a lot are paying monthly for their greenkeeping equipment, these costs don’t go away no matter what the time of year or even if we’re forced into lockdown as currently. With clubs receiving no extra income currently, some will struggle to get through this.

hmfc_liam06
51 minutes ago, SectionG said:

Biggest issue for most clubs even whilst not running are insurance costs plus a lot are paying monthly for their greenkeeping equipment, these costs don’t go away no matter what the time of year or even if we’re forced into lockdown as currently. With clubs receiving no extra income currently, some will struggle to get through this.

Yip. We are mid 4 figures per month fixed out-goings and that's with us only having greenkeepers on staff. 

I'd imagine other clubs could be nearer 5 figures.

The biggest problem is that this has hit at peak membership renewals for most clubs.

Honestly think for the majority of clubs, expecting a rebate is wishful thinking. Membership in most cases will be substantially down, and clubs will be struggling to stay afloat.

Think this is the time to back your club, and pay your fees if you want to see them here next year.

spirt of 98
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Be great to know all of these clubs with all this cash that can just refund members :lol:

Wages aren't the only fixed monthly outgoings that clubs or businesses have.

Mortonhall have lots of cash mate. We spent £90,000 on a toilet half way round and £200k on new bunkers and there is still money in the bank. They still have a joining fee as well of 2k. 

On 09/04/2020 at 18:44, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've headed along a couple times to check on the place, committee member though so not just random visits.

How did you score? :biggrin:

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Tonight...

FB_IMG_1586542504523.jpg

FB_IMG_1586542501005.jpg

FB_IMG_1586542497762.jpg

They have the entire course but choose the greens, wicked. Need to invest in a couple of underfed Rottweilers.

28 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

They have the entire course but choose the greens, wicked. Need to invest in a couple of underfed Rottweilers.

If  i remember rightly a course in Glasgow did the very same when members were being mugged on the course.

Sorted it straight away (dogs with handlers of course, although it might have been a good sport on its own without)

8 minutes ago, merrymac said:

If  i remember rightly a course in Glasgow did the very same when members were being mugged on the course.

Sorted it straight away (dogs with handlers of course, although it might have been a good sport on its own without)

If the muggers wanted my Timex, they'd need a gun, 14 lengthy deterrents in the golf bag.

54 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

If the muggers wanted my Timex, they'd need a gun, 14 lengthy deterrents in the golf bag.

Correct treatment IMO

15th March round Landybank was my last game, little did I know what was about to unfold, really, really missing it and everything connected. Right now, I'd bite your hand of for a NR on 18...🌈

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

26 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

15th March round Landybank was my last game, little did I know what was about to unfold, really, really missing it and everything connected. Right now, I'd bite your hand of for a NR on 18...🌈

I must be nearing 6 months since I picked up a golf club. March/April possibly my favourite months, tend to get right back into it again with the hopes of a good season ahead. Never been much of a winter golfer. 

I'm around 6 months or so.    I've gone 7 months before so by the time we get to play golf,   it will be my longest ever break since I was first a junior member aged 12.    It could end being what?   9 or 10 months.   

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I must be nearing 6 months since I picked up a golf club. March/April possibly my favourite months, tend to get right back into it again with the hopes of a good season ahead. Never been much of a winter golfer. 

We operate a winter golf society during winter months, nine standard outings (mainly links for obvious) and an away day.  I'd seize up and be worryingly bigger than my current 16.

Not playing for several months and maintaining your low handicap makes you a natural...:clap: ***k off...:biggrin:

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm around 6 months or so.    I've gone 7 months before so by the time we get to play golf,   it will be my longest ever break since I was first a junior member aged 12.    It could end being what?   9 or 10 months.   

Hope not, golf could incorporate safe distancing far easier than many other sports, but would it be deemed unfair?

Just now, Old Blue Eyes said:

Hope not, golf could incorporate safe distancing far easier than many other sports, but would it be deemed unfair?

Sorry I was unclear.   I meant 9 to 10 months since my last game.    I think we'll be golfing in 3 months or so.   Maybe sooner.

21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sorry I was unclear.   I meant 9 to 10 months since my last game.    I think we'll be golfing in 3 months or so.   Maybe sooner.

We may be allowed back on in that timescale but it may not resemble golf, it could be carnage.

4 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

We may be allowed back on in that timescale but it may not resemble golf, it could be carnage.

Not sure.   A game of golf,   even an official competition,  is about as easy as anything else to have social distancing.

No bunker rakes.   You could even get rid of flagsticks if you really had to.    Signing and exchanging cards could be overcome by having one player filling in the lot and being responsible for the others declaring they have verified the scores.    Cards don't need to be computer entered.     

46 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not sure.   A game of golf,   even an official competition,  is about as easy as anything else to have social distancing.

No bunker rakes.   You could even get rid of flagsticks if you really had to.    Signing and exchanging cards could be overcome by having one player filling in the lot and being responsible for the others declaring they have verified the scores.    Cards don't need to be computer entered.     

Sorry Vic, my turn, I wasn't clear, I meant the actual state of everyone's golf game, putting chipping, etc, there could be a few mad axemen out there...😤

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Sorry Vic, my turn, I wasn't clear, I meant the actual state of overone's golf game, putting chipping, etc, there could be a few mad axemen out there...😤

Oh yeah,  sorry.  :D

Yeah a good few rusty swings and high scores.

hmfc_liam06

I crammed in 5 rounds in 4 days just before the lockdown. Was a nice weekend so took a couple days off and took full advantage.

Little did I know it would turn out my last for potentially 3 months.

Bought a little chipping net to keep me amused. However after a few shots into it in the back garden i thought id be safe and also order some foam balls, hopefully come next few days. The urge to let one rip in the back garden with a 4 iron was mostly the reason for buying them 😂

6 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Bought a little chipping net to keep me amused. However after a few shots into it in the back garden i thought id be safe and also order some foam balls, hopefully come next few days. The urge to let one rip in the back garden with a 4 iron was mostly the reason for buying them 😂

Ha ha have done exactly the same thing

The smash it urge is strongimage.jpeg.6486e69e68b4024837a5a8946d9aaa3f.jpeg

I had a wee golf ball gadget that you planted in the ground with spikes.   It had a golf ball drilled through and tethered on a swing arm that was intended to allow a full skelp but the ball would just go spinning round on the arm. 

Put it in the ground on the spikes.   7 iron.   Few practice swings.    One hit with the iron and the ball disappeared over the back garden neighbours' roofs.

Tommy Brown
14 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I'll be devastated if we're still not allowed to play golf by the end of next month.

Your exagerating, mate.

Devastated  = Dungcaster keeping his job in Scottish football

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

I had a wee golf ball gadget that you planted in the ground with spikes.   It had a golf ball drilled through and tethered on a swing arm that was intended to allow a full skelp but the ball would just go spinning round on the arm. 

Put it in the ground on the spikes.   7 iron.   Few practice swings.    One hit with the iron and the ball disappeared over the back garden neighbours' roofs.

Wish you had got it on Video! 

11 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Wish you had got it on Video! 

I was in the house in a flash.    God only knows if it caused any damage to a house or car.    

Tommy Brown
33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I was in the house in a flash.    God only knows if it caused any damage to a house or car.    

I bought something similar in Lidl about 10 years ago. You attached to your laptop and got. Tiger Woods video game.

I thought, no way will that ball stay attached.

Still in the box under the bed ,:facepalm:

Edited by Tommy Brown

Everybody Loves Baz!

Currently waiting on netting to arrive so to complete my driving net for the back garden.

Only problem I have is - when looking for the due delivery date in an email yesterday, a bit I never read at the very top of the webpage was that the netting wasn't due back in till the end of April.

Framework is built, net screws/cup hooks are in, just need the netting then the neighbours are gonna be mightily pissed off with me hitting in the netts till my arms fall off.

7 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Currently waiting on netting to arrive so to complete my driving net for the back garden.

Only problem I have is - when looking for the due delivery date in an email yesterday, a bit I never read at the very top of the webpage was that the netting wasn't due back in till the end of April.

Framework is built, net screws/cup hooks are in, just need the netting then the neighbours are gonna be mightily pissed off with me hitting in the netts till my arms fall off.

Check it before you put it up, a while back I bought some netting, first shot went straight through !!!

Neighbor was not overly happy with a golf ball crashing about his garden.

Worth checking first 👍

Everybody Loves Baz!
9 hours ago, merrymac said:

Check it before you put it up, a while back I bought some netting, first shot went straight through !!!

Neighbor was not overly happy with a golf ball crashing about his garden.

Worth checking first 👍

I've actually ordered it from Nett supplies who delivered stuff to my G.C. 

Proper reinforced stuff with the embroidered edges so it doesn't fray.

1 hour ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

I've actually ordered it from Nett supplies who delivered stuff to my G.C. 

Proper reinforced stuff with the embroidered edges so it doesn't fray.

Good job. Far better organised than me :(

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

No rain forecast for the next fortnight. I would be out playing near enough every day if I could.

:sob: 

Image result for stop the turture gif

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

No rain forecast for the next fortnight. I would be out playing near enough every day if I could.

This hurts so much

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I honestly can't think of a day during lockdown where the weather would have stopped me playing. Been cracking weather.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I honestly can't think of a day during lockdown where the weather would have stopped me playing. Been cracking weather.

Yep, been perfect golfing weather for almost a month solid. Gutted doesn't cover it.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Yep, been perfect golfing weather for almost a month solid. Gutted doesn't cover it.

Still, it can be 40mph and pishing rain, I'll be on the course first day we're allowed :lol:

16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Still, it can be 40mph and pishing rain, I'll be on the course first day we're allowed :lol:

Same :lol: 

Guaranteed to pish it down for a month solid as soon as lockdown is lifted

hmfc_liam06

Why do folk suddenly think it's ok to be on a golf course?

Dog walkers etc always happen, don't think any club has any real issue there. 99% of the time they would keep their dog on a lead and clean up after but all of a sudden it's like free reign on a golf course.

We built a cairn last year at the 8th, it has been partly knocked over. Folk on bikes on greens. Folk on the course drinking in bunkers. Families out and letting their kids play in bunkers. None of this happened prior to this lockdown, so why now?