Victorian

Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Bleedsmaroon

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a washout. On a more positive note I've just secured a round on the Old Course for 10 March, so can tick that off my bucket list. Also playing Royal Aberdeen and Dundonald in March so it can't come quick enough. 

Tommy Brown
9 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a washout. On a more positive note I've just secured a round on the Old Course for 10 March, so can tick that off my bucket list. Also playing Royal Aberdeen and Dundonald in March so it can't come quick enough. 

Hope you get the weather to enjoy them. 👍

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Sounds like a great month! Dundonald may be pretty wet, I played it early November and it was soaking then, given it's not really what I'd consider true links so I'd imagine it wont have recovered much.

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

I have The Castle Course around the same time. 

Old Course, New Course, Jubilee and Eden in the diary for June. 👍 

Bigsmak

Old course booked in for march as well. Hope the weather is good.. 

Old Blue Eyes

Really looking forward to playing. Sawgrass, Pebble Beach, Royal Melbourne, Valderrama, Wentworth, Magdalene Fields, Oh! and Augusta National.

I'm expecting 21 degrees in my living room when I get my PS4 back from repair.

hmfc_liam06

What is everyone's aims for the coming season?

In my 3 years playing competitively I've managed to decrease my handicap each year by 3 shots on average. If that keeps up I'll be down to 12 however I'm setting a soft target of 13.

Course wise I'm looking to add Trump International, Dumbarnie and Blairgowrie to my list of top courses played. I'd also love to get up north for a weekend of golf.

StSow
48 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

In my 3 years playing competitively I've managed to decrease my handicap each year by 3 shots on average. If that keeps up I'll be down to 12 however I'm setting a soft target of 13.

Course wise I'm looking to add Trump International, Dumbarnie and Blairgowrie to my list of top courses played. I'd also love to get up north for a weekend of golf.

That's steady progress mate. Well done 👍

Start beating the course again, getting competitive in stroke play comps regularly again and getting back down to the lower end of 1. After a couple years of having a mental block of actually scoring well I feel I'm getting back to it. 

Turkey in April and a little tour around some links courses Moray firth areas on the cards later in the year. 

Irufushi

I’ll be happy to stay at 2 (1.9 ) can’t see myself getting much golf in this year. 

John mcCartney

Theres ole Pete Dye passed away,a massively impressive bunch of courses that he and his wife,Alice,designed and constructed over the years.All inspired by their visits to the links over here in Jockoland,pot bunkers,false fronts,timber rivetting(leven links-harbour town),undulating fairways,angled layouts etc.
His autobiog,`Bury me in a pot bunker`,is worth a read too.

Pete Dye,Alice Dye r.i.p
Alice passed last year.
https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/golf-course-architect-pete-dye-obituary-94

hmfc_liam06

Are any of the Kickback golfers involved at a committee or finance level with their golf clubs? If so, I'd love to pick your brains!

It's our AGM this week and one of a number of things I'm pulling them up on is the lack of payment options for members. It's driving folk away as less people want to be stumping up a lump sum and would rather spread the cost.

If anyone could offer any assistance or any info in implementing a DD, drop me a DM 👍

sinks
17 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Are any of the Kickback golfers involved at a committee or finance level with their golf clubs? If so, I'd love to pick your brains!

It's our AGM this week and one of a number of things I'm pulling them up on is the lack of payment options for members. It's driving folk away as less people want to be stumping up a lump sum and would rather spread the cost.

If anyone could offer any assistance or any info in implementing a DD, drop me a DM 👍

I was speaking to a member of a club down south who said that they had a scheme whereby you could put money on your card which went towards your fees.

Basically when you put money on card you could state whether it was for bar credit or towards subs.If you put it towards subs it could not be withdrawn or used towards bar credits and had to be used as part of yearly fees.

Said quite a few people used that method and club were happy as they were getting cash in throughout year.

Dont know how easy it would be to set up

Tommy Brown

Our club you can pay monthly any sum. So you basically paying in advance, free borrowing the club.

Tommy Brown

We also try and encourage Bacs transfer and cash to avoid banks costs.

Fairways credit is the pay up alternative.

Samuel Camazzola
20 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm surprised at this. Is the lack of payment options purely down to laziness from the committees that have stood before? Every club I have been with in the past 20+ years has offered different payment methods. 

Old Blue Eyes
On 11/01/2020 at 13:19, hmfc_liam06 said:

The game of golf is so good when you are progressing like the stats above, well done.

Aims for 2020, try and justify the finacial outlay for new driver, not hitting it consistenly yet, may get better when we get off these f*****g mat SS.

When and only in Spain, stop hitting the golf ball with the hosel. So frustrating finding numerous fairways, then 3rd & 4th shots are from trees, water or bunkers (probably alcohol related)

Reach the championship final, losing the semi-final last year on eighteen sucked.

hmfc_liam06
20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm surprised at this. Is the lack of payment options purely down to laziness from the committees that have stood before? Every club I have been with in the past 20+ years has offered different payment methods. 

It's staggering mate, the club is stuck in the last century. Every other club local to me, including yours at Balbirnie offer straight up direct debit. 

Folk want a subscription model, they dont want to be forking out hundreds of pounds at a time.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's staggering mate, the club is stuck in the last century. Every other club local to me, including yours at Balbirnie offer straight up direct debit. 

Folk want a subscription model, they dont want to be forking out hundreds of pounds at a time.

Don't quote this as being 100% correct but I'm sure How Did I Do facilitates some sort of payment management scheme. 

bebeto
On 10/01/2020 at 17:41, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sounds like a great month! Dundonald may be pretty wet, I played it early November and it was soaking then, given it's not really what I'd consider true links so I'd imagine it wont have recovered much.

I played Dundonald on the 19th December and it was in stunning condition. Not a puddle to be seen not even a dirty ball. Greens were outstanding. 

Royal Aberdeen is good, bit of a boring finsh aprt from 16 I think it is a Par 3. 15, 17 and especially 18 are boring.

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, bebeto said:

I played Dundonald on the 19th December and it was in stunning condition. Not a puddle to be seen not even a dirty ball. Greens were outstanding. 

Royal Aberdeen is good, bit of a boring finsh aprt from 16 I think it is a Par 3. 15, 17 and especially 18 are boring.

Nice one, it was really wet too but must recover quick.

58 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Don't quote this as being 100% correct but I'm sure How Did I Do facilitates some sort of payment management scheme. 

BRS do it. I'm looking into them tomorrow, hopefully have a call with them.

bebeto
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice one, it was really wet too but must recover quick.

BRS do it. I'm looking into them tomorrow, hopefully have a call with them.

Bear in mind BRS are effectively going to be defunct when the new SGU system goes live

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, bebeto said:

Bear in mind BRS are effectively going to be defunct when the new SGU system goes live

They are owned by Golf Now, they may not be getting much business in Scotland but I don't think they'll be going out of business.

bebeto
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They are owned by Golf Now, they may not be getting much business in Scotland but I don't think they'll be going out of business.

Correct however, the SGU system will take over booking tee times, it wont talk to 3rd party providers for access to handicap so in effect it will be useless up here. The SGU are creating a monopoly they cant provide. Its an absolute shambles 

Armageddon

So, booked 10 nights in Turkey at the start of April, it's meant to be a family holiday so didn't want to be tied to playing 4 rounds when there, but now I want to get a couple of games in with one being the Maxx Royal.  Anybody know the best route to book golf for over there?  Anybody got any advice?  Should I take the clubs or just hire over there?

Cheers!

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

So, booked 10 nights in Turkey at the start of April, it's meant to be a family holiday so didn't want to be tied to playing 4 rounds when there, but now I want to get a couple of games in with one being the Maxx Royal.  Anybody know the best route to book golf for over there?  Anybody got any advice?  Should I take the clubs or just hire over there?

Cheers!

Hopefully you get a couple of good responses as I'm headed to Lara Beach in May and was going to play a round too, given there's like 10+ courses right next door. Don't think I'll bother about taking my clubs for the sake of 1 round though.

Bleedsmaroon
On 11/01/2020 at 19:15, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm on the board of directors at our place. 

Armageddon

Played Kilspindie on Saturday - played every shot off a mat, even tee shots!  Stunning coastline, we really are lucky.

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Played Kilspindie on Saturday - played every shot off a mat, even tee shots!  Stunning coastline, we really are lucky.

:Shoosh:

Ray Gin
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

That must have made putting awkward.

Armageddon
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That must have made putting awkward.

Actually the opposite, only had to read an 8" putt every time!

Notts1874

Irufushi
32 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

good grief 😂. I’d murder him if I played a round with him. 

Ray Gin

WTF is he doing?!  :rofl: 

ando
On 14/01/2020 at 10:22, Armageddon said:

Cheers!

Bilyana  golf were great to deal with and take your own clubs

Old Blue Eyes
19 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Booooo! he never fell on his arse. 1 minute 26 seconds is a very very long PSR.

Apart from the time taken, does the PSR or actual swing really matter if the clubhead returns square to the ball? He flushed that!

Eamon Darcy in his day & presently Jim Furyk look like orangutans falling out a tree.

Bleedsmaroon
On 21/01/2020 at 21:48, ando said:

Bilyana  golf were great to deal with and take your own clubs

We always book with Biliyana, going again in May.

Mr 3 Putt

Anyone seen Rick Shiels review on the Callaway Edge clubs? As someone who enjoys playing but not good enough to be forking out mega bucks for better clubs thinking about giving them a go, only £480 for 10 piece set. Don't need the driver but irons and putter are better than my current ones.

Old Blue Eyes
19 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Anyone seen Rick Shiels review on the Callaway Edge clubs? As someone who enjoys playing but not good enough to be forking out mega bucks for better clubs thinking about giving them a go, only £480 for 10 piece set. Don't need the driver but irons and putter are better than my current ones.

Always try them before you buy them.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

If your profile name is reflective of your ability, invest in a block of lessons. 😄

Mr 3 Putt
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If your profile name is reflective of your ability, invest in a block of lessons. 😄

It unfortunately a name that me and my mates all call each other at some point during a round 😂

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

It unfortunately a name that me and my mates all call each other at some point during a round 😂

It could be worse. Start worrying when they call you Mr Shanks. 

Cruyff

Watching Tiger at the Farmers Insurance Open, he's in great shape, his game looks as good as anything in his peak years. Can see him winning a major or two this year. 

Bleedsmaroon

My putting is killing my game, just can't commit and get it to the hole. Have had 38, 39, 38 points in my last 3 games but should have been in the 40's easy, not going to get my handicap down without sorting it. 

Old Blue Eyes
13 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Watching Tiger at the Farmers Insurance Open, he's in great shape, his game looks as good as anything in his peak years. Can see him winning a major or two this year. 

Hope not.

merrymac
2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Hope not.

👍

Carl Weathers

I started taking golf lessons late last year and have now had 7 in total. I try to get to the range at least once a week. 

I'm still really shite!!

I can't generate much distance at all. For example, today I was hitting a 8 and 9 around 75 yards average (a few marginally longer). I picked up a 2nd hand Ping driver as well and was  trying that out (Ive not covered using that club in lessons yet) and was getting 150 yards absolute best. Most shots were fading out to the right, although some were straight. 

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with a sore left hip and left shoulder. I expect that is hindering my swing and it is very frustrating, however I believe it's my technique that is letting me down.

I'm mainly focusing on trying to catch the ball well and get a straight shot. I am prone to hitting the ball with an open club face causing my shots to go right. 

I'd love to get more distance on my shots. Any tips? I have another lesson next week and honesty expect to be needing another 8 -12 over the few months. 

Old Blue Eyes
1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

I started taking golf lessons late last year and have now had 7 in total. I try to get to the range at least once a week. 

I'm still really shite!!

I can't generate much distance at all. For example, today I was hitting a 8 and 9 around 75 yards average (a few marginally longer). I picked up a 2nd hand Ping driver as well and was  trying that out (Ive not covered using that club in lessons yet) and was getting 150 yards absolute best. Most shots were fading out to the right, although some were straight. 

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with a sore left hip and left shoulder. I expect that is hindering my swing and it is very frustrating, however I believe it's my technique that is letting me down.

I'm mainly focusing on trying to catch the ball well and get a straight shot. I am prone to hitting the ball with an open club face causing my shots to go right. 

I'd love to get more distance on my shots. Any tips? I have another lesson next week and honesty expect to be needing another 8 -12 over the few months. 

How many candles you burning mate?

After 7 lessons you should have the basics, G A S P!...grip, alignment, stance and posture, if not dump the coach.

If you can get your head round what makes the ball fade/slice, it's a big bonus. Inside to square back to inside, if you're taking the club back too much on the outside, there is only one route the club will take on the way down and that is from outside to in, cutting across the ball, hence the ball spinning clockwise (fade/slice). Be conscious of taking the club back slightly on the inside, it'll feel hellish initially but stick with it, good luck.

You can weigh me in later and everyone else who finds this useful.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Carl Weathers
6 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

How many candles you burning mate?

After 7 lessons you should have the basics, G A S P!...grip, alignment, stance and posture, if not dump the coach.

If you can get your head round what makes the ball fade/slice, it's a big bonus. Inside to square back to inside, if you're taking the club back too much on the outside, there is only one route the club will take on the way down and that is from outside to in, cutting across the ball, hence the ball spinning clockwise (fade/slice). Be conscious of taking the club back slightly on the inside, it'll feel hellish initially but stick with it, good luck.

You can weigh me in later and everyone else who finds this useful.

Thanks for the feedback although I have to admit it's a bit advanced for me at the moment! I think the coach is pretty good. I just need to improve and get practicing more. 

Any tips to get more distance- or is it impossible to say without seeing me play?

Ray Gin
25 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Any tips to get more distance- or is it impossible to say without seeing me play?

Pretty much. Are you striking the ball cleanly or hitting fat/thin connections?

Bigsmak
31 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks for the feedback although I have to admit it's a bit advanced for me at the moment! I think the coach is pretty good. I just need to improve and get practicing more. 

Get yourself on Video - from the back and sides.. have a a few shots to look at.  Then compare yourself to the pros - see how different your swing is - try and think about it.   If you want, put it on You-Tube and we'll all watch it as well and offer advice. (might be terrible advice, no promises!) 

But I find when I struggle, I make sure I watch myself, I recently noticed that I was dipping into my shots and this was due to me delaying my hip turn.  this meant I had to move to get my hands through the ball.   Defo worth it.