Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Narrow :sob: looks stunning, contemplating the 36 hole open in August now!

You should go for it, it's not long at 5800 but you definitely need to be accurate. The fairways are crazy too, it's like playing a Links course.

I'd say the 1st, 9th and 10th are the weaker holes on the course but they're still decent holes.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

William H. Bonney

I've never played but it looks lovely. My dad was a member at grantown on spey which is a cracking course too.

hmfc_liam06

That looks quality!

Just Googled were it is :sob:

Yeah it's a bit of a trek, especially for you! 2 hours drive for us, well worth it. Feeling it this morning though!

We're thinking of going up for a weekend next year and playing Spey Valley, Boat and Grantown on Spey.

Yeah it's a bit of a trek, especially for you! 2 hours drive for us, well worth it. Feeling it this morning though!

We're thinking of going up for a weekend next year and playing Spey Valley, Boat and Grantown on Spey.

Too far for me unfortunately. Trying to organise a trip away with mates is a nightmare for us. We've had a free fourball for strathmore for months now and can't seem to all get away at the same time.

Are you heading back for the open at aberdour at the weekend?

hmfc_liam06

Too far for me unfortunately. Trying to organise a trip away with mates is a nightmare for us. We've had a free fourball for strathmore for months now and can't seem to all get away at the same time.

Are you heading back for the open at aberdour at the weekend?

Strathmore is superb, rate that really high. Is there an expiry? If you're not going to use it I'd buy it from you, it's only an hour away for me.

I'll be playing the monthly medal, I've only played my home course a couple times in the last few weeks!

I've never played but it looks lovely. My dad was a member at grantown on spey which is a cracking course too.

Grantown is a lovely track. I've heard for a while now that they've been struggling, then again I've heard that about many clubs over the years.

Spey Valley open end of July is anyone fancies the css of 78!!

hmfc_liam06

Grantown is a lovely track. I've heard for a while now that they've been struggling, then again I've heard that about many clubs over the years.

Spey Valley open end of July is anyone fancies the css of 78!!

Jesus **** just had a look at Spey Valley! 7,123 yards off the black tees with a 641 yard par 5.

Yeah I'll give that a miss!

Jesus **** just had a look at Spey Valley! 7,123 yards off the black tees with a 641 yard par 5.

Yeah I'll give that a miss!

The par 5 is downhill, probably plays around 570ish.(maybe even less)It's a course where you need to hit the fairways. Dead if not.

Well worth playing.

hmfc_liam06

The par 5 is downhill, probably plays around 570ish.(maybe even less)It's a course where you need to hit the fairways. Dead if not.

Well worth playing.

Definitely will play it, don't think an Open is the time though, yellow tees required for this cat :lol:

Strathmore is superb, rate that really high. Is there an expiry? If you're not going to use it I'd buy it from you, it's only an hour away for me.

I'll be playing the monthly medal, I've only played my home course a couple times in the last few weeks!

Think it's end of September. I've sent a group message again but if there's no takers it may well be yours.

hmfc_liam06

Think it's end of September. I've sent a group message again but if there's no takers it may well be yours.

Brilliant. Been a few years since I've played it but would definitely like to get back.

Let me know :thumbsup:

Anyone fancy a 17.5 degree fairway wood.

Just can't get on with it. :lol:

IMG_9925.jpg

minus

Edited by Sten Guns

Definitely will play it, don't think an Open is the time though, yellow tees required for this cat :lol:

Play the open you ***** :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

Going back to Spey Valley shortly. Really nice course and a good walk too.

Would be good to acquire the house behind the first green.

If your giving it away!

Haha!

Another loss coming my way. Will try gumtree. Hopefully get ?130 ish.

Just spied the "gold tee open" being held at Longhirst Hall on Saturday. Playing from the same pegs as this week's Europro tour event. I fancy a bit of that for a tenner

1st game of a wee golfing break. Blairgowrie Lansdowne (6400 off the yellows, par 72). Round in 80. Kept a 6 off the card with 3 par 5s, a couple of long 4s and lots of 350-380 yarders. 1 under for the 3 par 3s. Tight as hell in bits with most fairways protected by left and right bunkers. Only found 1 fairway bunker but had to dob out sideways or so from the timber. Very enjoyable course.

Samuel Camazzola

Do many on here take out golf insurance? I've never done it in all my years playing and don't know of any mates who have. I've not known of anyone having to make a claim of any sort but as it's advertised quite prominently these days, I'm wondering if it's something which should be considered.

My equipment is of significant value now too which so it's given me thoughts.

Samuel Camazzola

I used to, but when I was a member it came with the fees, so I stopped.

Chances of something serious occurring are fairly slim, so I just let it go.

Saying that, the time my mate knuckle balled a 5 wood, and skelpled a bloke right on the tit on the opposite tee, gave food for thought.

Quite funny though.

Would something like that be covered by club liability insurance incorporated in the fees or is the player personally liable?

2nd game. Blairgowrie 'wee'. 9 hole course par 32 and very short. Not that straightforward in places but played it many times. 3 of the 4 par threes are tricky greens to hit and hold. Was all over the gaff the first time round. 38 with a 7. 33 the second time round but that was finishing with 2 bogeys. So 71.

Do many on here take out golf insurance? I've never done it in all my years playing and don't know of any mates who have. I've not known of anyone having to make a claim of any sort but as it's advertised quite prominently these days, I'm wondering if it's something which should be considered.

My equipment is of significant value now too which so it's given me thoughts.

You're usually covered for injuries/accidents on the course as part of your green fees, and your clubs can just be added on your home contents insurance.

Edited by Ray Gin

Pw, 142 exactly to the pin (skycaddie)

Pin tight right, half way up the green. A wee bounce off the fringe and rattled in. Delighted.

Edited by StSow

Pw, 132 exactly to the pin (skycaddie)

Pin tight right, half way up the green. A wee bounce off the fringe and rattled in. Delighted.

Very nice, well done :thumbsup:

Very nice, well done :thumbsup:

Cheers. Took a second to register it not appearing the other side of the pin. Not many playing the sweep comp thankfully

Pw, 142 exactly to the pin (skycaddie)

Nice one :thumbsup:

Well done on the oner.

3rd and last game on my wee trip. 2 circuits of the 9 hole course that remains from the old Glenisla course. Now part of Alyth GC. The old back 9 from Glenisla but in a different order. I played the old 18 hole course a few years ago but had forgotten bits of the course. It's about 6200 yards with one very long par 5 near 600 yards. 3 dogleg par 4s are not easy in the least as even a good drive in the centre can result in being blocked out. Overall you play over or skirt by water 6 times. Big slopey greens and deep bunkers. By the time you add up all that degree of difficulty it's easy to run up some big scores and I took full advantage of that by clocking up 7 6s. Mitigated by 4 3s, it became 85. Don't expect to tip up here and shoot the lights out.

hmfc_liam06

Just entered the murcar open. Some of the photos online look incredible.

Thats further than Boat of Garten :lol:

Had a chipping lesson before the medal on Wednesday.. another 32 points for me. Which is paying to standard scratch +1... So in the buffer.

Good eagle on the 12th... But didn't hole any other puts the whole day. Tapped in for par a lot...

Next week......

Edited by Bigsmak

hmfc_liam06

Had a chipping lesson before the medal on Wednesday.. another 32 points for me. Which is paying to standard scratch +1... So in the buffer.

Good eagle on the 12th... But didn't hole any other puts the whole day. Tapped in for par a lot...

Next week......

I thought I was in buffer only for the CSS to be 66, usually 68!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just entered the murcar open. Some of the photos online look incredible.

Full of blind shots. Few guys from work are members. They vetoed the Paul Lawrie matchplay returning as it made the course too tough. Backs on to Royal Aberdeen which is stunning too.

Further up the coast i use Newburgh. Fantastic value course and more at my level but still a Championship Links. Further still Cruden Bay and Peterhead all great courses. Haven't even mentioned Trumps. Haven't visited but only heard great things.

Liam cheers for the info again. Hopeman looks worth a shot too.

Boat of Garten I missed on an outing heard it is a challenge

hmfc_liam06

Full of blind shots. Few guys from work are members. They vetoed the Paul Lawrie matchplay returning as it made the course too tough. Backs on to Royal Aberdeen which is stunning too.

Further up the coast i use Newburgh. Fantastic value course and more at my level but still a Championship Links. Further still Cruden Bay and Peterhead all great courses. Haven't even mentioned Trumps. Haven't visited but only heard great things.

Liam cheers for the info again. Hopeman looks worth a shot too.

Boat of Garten I missed on an outing heard it is a challenge

You played a lot in the north east? Ever played Newmachar? Looks an excellent course.

You played a lot in the north east? Ever played Newmachar? Looks an excellent course.

It's on my list. Looks mint!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I live in Aberdeen. Hawkshill is the Championship course. 5 mins from the house and never played it! One of the school dads is a member. Being 20 handicap I struggle a bit on these courses. I handle Championship Links courses better than parkland.

To answer your question never heard a bad word. Would be the best course of its type in Aberdeenshire

hmfc_liam06

I live in Aberdeen. Hawkshill is the Championship course. 5 mins from the house and never played it! One of the school dads is a member. Being 20 handicap I struggle a bit on these courses. I handle Championship Links courses better than parkland.

To answer your question never heard a bad word. Would be the best course of its type in Aberdeenshire

It looks superb, long though! Most of Thomas's courses are though - Spey Valley, Roxburghe etc

I'll maybe look out for their Texas scramble next year.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It looks superb, long though! Most of Thomas's courses are though - Spey Valley, Roxburghe etc

I'll maybe look out for their Texas scramble next year.

One of the small tours use it regularly. If we ever meet i can tell a story about the gaming machine in the bar :)

Net 70 today. (SSS 71).

But blowy so hoping for CSS 72 to help boost the cut, but I doubt it, lovely day other than the wind.

Ack, 0.2 off at worst.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread