Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Anyone played North Berwick lately?

No, but a colleague is a member and tells me how good it is. 

A lot of the PGA Tour players love it and often play it when over for the Scottish Open. Homa, Walker, Spieth and Thomas are a few who've played it in the last couple of years. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyone played North Berwick lately?

Play it fairly regularly 

early in the season the greens were not great but I am sure they will have improved by now

watch out for the quirky holes near the end😳

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

£75000 fee and £5000 a year to join renaissance.  Where's ma wallet? :shockio:

Got cheaper, sure it was £150k debenture then £8k a year. Nobody ever on it

17 hours ago, merrymac said:

Play it fairly regularly 

early in the season the greens were not great but I am sure they will have improved by now

watch out for the quirky holes near the end😳

I played last week. Was in pretty good condition. Rough wasn’t too harsh but the greens weren’t quite gullane standard. Still, by far and a way my favourite course in the world.

Samuel Camazzola
15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Scottish Open course about to get some protection over the weekend. 

Of all the courses they could play, it's largely underwhelming. 

12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Of all the courses they could play, it's largely underwhelming. 

How come?

3 hours ago, dicksojo said:

I played last week. Was in pretty good condition. Rough wasn’t too harsh but the greens weren’t quite gullane standard. Still, by far and a way my favourite course in the world.

Great course but not sure I would rate it that highly

too many iffy holes at the end to qualify for that accolade

35 minutes ago, merrymac said:

18 is very plain but I like playing back into the town. I like 16 (managed to birdie it last week) as the green is unlike anything you would normally see these days.

1 hour ago, dicksojo said:

18 is very plain but I like playing back into the town. I like 16 (managed to birdie it last week) as the green is unlike anything you would normally see these days.

16th green nothing that a good explosion wouldn’t sort😂

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Course preference is entirely subjective though isn’t it, I think his key word is favourite.

Some of my favourite courses don’t even get a look in on the “best” top 100 list.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Course preference is entirely subjective though isn’t it, I think his key word is favourite.

Some of my favourite courses don’t even get a look in on the “best” top 100 list.

Fair point

Rudi Skacel

41 points today. Was with a couple lip outs and a penalty shot aswell. Positive. Sets me up to shoot 90 for the medal tomorrow!!  

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, OBE said:

How come?

From recent venues, Royal Aberdeen, Gullane and Castle Stuart are better. It doesn't have the surrounding infrastructure but although it's only three years old, Dumbarnie is a better course. I'd expect these guys to shred it though. 

hmfc_liam06
58 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From recent venues, Royal Aberdeen, Gullane and Castle Stuart are better. It doesn't have the surrounding infrastructure but although it's only three years old, Dumbarnie is a better course. I'd expect these guys to shred it though. 

Totally, pros would rip Dunbarnie to pieces. Look at how they’re destroying a soft course in Renaissance.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Fair point

Be interesting to see what everyone’s ‘favourite’ course is.

I reckon mines would be Boat of Garten.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yep - its funny how condition can influence a choice, when I played it the greens were truly shocking and I didn't really enjoy it all.

My choices would be Kings Course at Gleneagles and for links - Machrihanish.

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Yep - its funny how condition can influence a choice, when I played it the greens were truly shocking and I didn't really enjoy it all.

My choices would be Kings Course at Gleneagles and for links - Machrihanish.

Both very high up my favourite list too.

Assuming Machrie old course? I found the Dunes a better 18.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

I played the Dunes not long after it opened and you needed a sherpa to find your way round, some of the greens were also near unputtable due to the slopes. I understand they have made a few changes so hopefully better now.

Its such a long boring drive to get there, which is a shame as i would definitely have played them both more over the years if they had been more accessible.

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Additional to last comment- Dunaverty( next to Machrie) is a cracking wee course. Best greens I ever putted on.

Early tees again tomorrow for Scottish Open, this time because it might be a bit to windy for the pros. Shite, I'm playing in the morning so will miss it all.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Additional to last comment- Dunaverty( next to Machrie) is a cracking wee course. Best greens I ever putted on.

100% agree, probably top 3 greens I’ve played on. And it’s one that’s in my favourite course lists. Par 66 or something but an absolutely tremendous track.

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

100% agree, probably top 3 greens I’ve played on. And it’s one that’s in my favourite course lists. Par 66 or something but an absolutely tremendous track.

It’s a par 65 I remember cos I still have the card from an outing I played there

shot 59 scratch and had about 22 putts 😂😂 back in the day when I could play a bit 😔

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It’s a par 65 I remember cos I still have the card from an outing I played there

shot 59 scratch and had about 22 putts 😂😂 back in the day when I could play a bit 😔

I imagine it’s massively overlooked by its two bigger brothers but it was my favourite of the 3. Even Michael Stewart couldn’t spoil my round there 🤣

*he was coming down 18 as we were teeing off the 1st, acting the big man.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

I imagine it’s massively overlooked by its two bigger brothers but it was my favourite of the 3. Even Michael Stewart couldn’t spoil my round there 🤣

I presume the footballer not the golfer 😂

What grip thickness do you guys use for your driver compared to the rest of your clubs? Seems to be more common for a chunkier grip for the driver these days?

3 hours ago, merrymac said:

I thought the machrie was on Islay while dunaverty was on the mainland?

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

He means Machrie as in Machrihanish rather than the actual Machrie 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, kila said:

What grip thickness do you guys use for your driver compared to the rest of your clubs? Seems to be more common for a chunkier grip for the driver these days?

Should correlate to your cock size 

1 hour ago, kila said:

I'm about to regrind my new driver. Its pretty thin. Mid should do. Not the Peter Finch mega grips.  They're a bit over the top. 

19 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Used machrie as a short for machrihanish

you are correct Dunaverty is at the very tip of the mainland at Southend

blame @hmfc_liam06 he used it first 😂😂

27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm about to regrind my new driver. Its pretty thin. Mid should do. Not the Peter Finch mega grips.  They're a bit over the top. 

Depends what shot shape you like.

Thinner grips promote a draw whilst thicker grips more likely to produce a fade.

1 hour ago, kila said:

I like same throughout the bag.

Chunkier grips popular with the Pro's to promote the in fashion fade shape.

50 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Used machrie as a short for machrihanish

you are correct Dunaverty is at the very tip of the mainland at Southend

blame @hmfc_liam06 he used it first 😂😂

Apologies, wasn’t paying attention. 

It is a good old trek to get down there. A few people who have played have said you’re best off playing machrihanish, dunes, dunaverty and the machrie in a single trip. I think there is a flight from Glasgow to Campbeltown.

43 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Depends what shot shape you like.

Thinner grips promote a draw whilst thicker grips more likely to produce a fade.

I'm a straight hitter, with a fade/slice if I don't set myself correctly.  I'll draw it with a lower tee.

16 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Apologies, wasn’t paying attention. 

It is a good old trek to get down there. A few people who have played have said you’re best off playing machrihanish, dunes, dunaverty and the machrie in a single trip. I think there is a flight from Glasgow to Campbeltown.

No worries👍

there certainly used to be a flight and there are lots of good b&b,s right opposite machrihanish one called the Warren comes to mind. The drive down is a total nightmare though

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No even a contest, Royal Dornoch. 

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Absolutely loved the New Course. The Old carries the heritage and I could play 1, 2, 17 and 18 in a loop everyday and not get bored. However, the New is easily the best of the group. 

It's sadly gone but Lothianburn was an old favourite. The best greens in the Edinburgh region by a long shot and so many fun holes. 

Tommy Brown
43 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Absolutely loved the New Course. The Old carries the heritage and I could play 1, 2, 17 and 18 in a loop everyday and not get bored. However, the New is easily the best of the group. 

It's sadly gone but Lothianburn was an old favourite. The best greens in the Edinburgh region by a long shot and so many fun holes. 

Played an open at Lothianburn in what was probably the hottest day of the summer. Holy shit, that made it extra tough :lol: played it few times.

Only played Swanston twice back in the 80s  had phenomenal greens then.

Left it too late for their seniors open next Friday. Next year hopefully.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Played an open at Lothianburn in what was probably the hottest day of the summer. Holy shit, that made it extra tough :lol: played it few times.

Only played Swanston twice back in the 80s  had phenomenal greens then.

Left it too late for their seniors open next Friday. Next year hopefully.

It was a great course when fiery. Not the longest course so you had to play for position a lot. 

Swanston has acquired two of the Lothianburn holes (3rd and 4th) and integrated these into the current set-up. The course has yet to truly gain an identity as they have changed it so often in the last 15 years. Six new holes have been built which have chopped and changed from being closing six, to opening six and back to final six. The (current) 1st has a completely new green and several of the original holes have been done away with. 

The only thing you'd recognise would be the drive to the course! 

I played Swanston recently. The first 9 holes are savage if you're like me and terrible on sloped lies. I found the back 9 much easier.

spirt of 98
8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I was hopeful that Lothianburn could reopen one day however Swanston stole two of the holes. 

That club had character. 

Samuel Camazzola
18 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

I was hopeful that Lothianburn could reopen one day however Swanston stole two of the holes. 

That club had character. 

When the renewal for the lease of the land from the landlord was approaching, sadly the required membership numbers were not guaranteed to make it sustainable. 

Numbers were healthy before as guys who'd go on a waiting list for places like Mortonhall, would take up a membership at Lothianburn until they were given the nod. Like a lot of places, the waiting lists were no more which impacted the membership book. 

They did suggest lots of schemes to attract and maintain numbers but it seemed committing to a lease renewal would likely have brought on a lot of debt and pain. A real shame as although it's built on the same land, the course was far superior to Swanston. 

In this wind, Rory, could blow this. Shane isn't daunted by the wind but drops 2 then recovers 1...Tommy hanging about like a bad smell.

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

When the renewal for the lease of the land from the landlord was approaching, sadly the required membership numbers were not guaranteed to make it sustainable. 

Numbers were healthy before as guys who'd go on a waiting list for places like Mortonhall, would take up a membership at Lothianburn until they were given the nod. Like a lot of places, the waiting lists were no more which impacted the membership book. 

They did suggest lots of schemes to attract and maintain numbers but it seemed committing to a lease renewal would likely have brought on a lot of debt and pain. A real shame as although it's built on the same land, the course was far superior to Swanston. 

I was a member there for a few years and I recall attending an extraordinary general meeting, which signalled the end of the club. 

Real shame. 

I followed Kurt to Kingsacre. 

I've told everyone I've played with that the greens at lothianburn were the best I've played on. 

My dad's a member at Baberton and they are up there right now. Fantastic condition 

The commentators don’t half exaggerate the strength of the wind . It’s showing at about 15 -  22 on their windometer😀

if you play links golf on the east coast it’s fairly normal