Scotland Euro Friendlies

Mikey1874

Corstorphine Jambo
11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I was being sarcastic.

How the Hell can the ‘better side’ get whipped 4-0?

I mean, really.  :rofl: 

I had worked that out. But thanks for confirming.

You will note that I didn’t say we were the better team, but I think we can be happy with how we played for most of the game.

if you don’t agree, I’ll live with that.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

• tian447

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King

Gunn, Porteous and Souttar don’t give me any confidence, the forward players need to finish the chances they get. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Porteous should be nowhere near a starter

Correct, but the options aren’t any better really. 

gnasher75
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Imagine if Liam Kelly gets a game Tuesday :vrface:

Could work out well if he chucks a couple in the net! Gunn didn't cover himself in glory tonight. Some good, some bad.

Luckies1874
4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Imagine if Liam Kelly gets a game Tuesday :vrface:

Absolutely no chance. Be surprised if Gunn doesn't start. Possibly the 2nd half for Clark or Gordon.

Edited by Luckies1874

jager man

People can blame Scotland for the chances missed tonight but for me the defence wasn't good enough. As well as the four goals there was also numerous chances created by Holland from nothing. Same as the France and Norway games shipping goals for fun. We have to sort it out. That is an average Netherlands team. On a positive note I was happy with our midfield and attack and on another day we will score at least 2. 

1 minute ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I had worked that out. But thanks for confirming.

You will note that I didn’t say we were the better team, but I think we can be happy with how we played for most of the game.

if you don’t agree, I’ll live with that.

Great.

Thanks for confirming.

I don’t agree, but am absolutely thrilled that you are prepared to live with that.

At least we can now look forward to two easy games next, before probably getting humiliated in Germany!

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

1st goal Gunn should have saved it

2nd Goal Soutar not marking his man

3rd goal McTominey mis times his jump

4th goal Soutar tries to play offside and makes a mess of it.

Take Gunn and Soutar out the side and we would be three goals better off. 

Spot on

Go for it 1308
18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thats the thing with Shankland. Hes a proper old school striker. Now I know he missed a chance that he usually tucks away, but how many times have we seen him not be that much involved in a game then bangs one in late in a game. Taking him off was a mistake. We all know what his replacement does. What was the point?

Spot on. I can now see Clarke  reverting back  to the 'tried and tested' upfront who has  has stayed loyal to, for the Euros and shanks as a late sub. He shouldn't have taken him off. It was as if Clarke got the excuse he needed not to start him in the Euros.  F****** prick of a man

Edited by Go for it 1308

Luckies1874
6 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Spot on. I can now see Clarke  reverting back  to the 'tried and tested' upfront who has  has stayed loyal to, for the Euros and shanks as a late sub. He shouldn't have taken him off. It was as if Clarke got the excuse he needed not to start him in the Euros.  F****** prick of a man

:vrface: Take a night off. 

Corstorphine Jambo
10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Great.

Thanks for confirming.

I don’t agree, but am absolutely thrilled that you are prepared to live with that.

At least we can now look forward to two easy games next, before probably getting humiliated in Germany!

We’re going to Germany one way or another.

i hope we won’t get humiliated but I can’t guarantee it. As being a Hearts fan yourself, you know that hope is all we generally have. 
I’m just posting my thoughts with no desire to irritate anyone. 

Diadora Van Basten
17 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Dykes and Adam were ahead of him for Scotland start in the Euros but Shanks did well tonight while Adams was like a headless chicken. I expect Dykes to start against Northern Ireland and Adams to come on as a late sub.

The number 9 shirt against Germany is up for grabs and at the moment Shanks has it.

tiger Rudi
27 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

I think he took him off so he could give him another start on Tuesday. He had a good game, probably better than some fans thought he would. Dykes AND Shankland might start on Tuesday. 

FerryJambo81

I'll not read whole thread, too much at this time. Will give my tuppence worth for all it is.

Hour, possibly 70 minutes we were good. Composed, played football.  Yeah, there were errors and they had couple breakaway, but I honestly thought we were good. Harried, won the ball and largely didn't allow them to play.

Our star players were not quite there at key moments. McTomimay shoulda squared to Shanks. Couple great runs but poor balls from Robertson. McGinn shots he can do better with. That miss from our very own, very unlucky tbf as done everything right. Hard bounce, got under.

Anyway. We'll not miss that many chances often, best miss then tonight. Created a bucket load. Worldy first half, started well second then we made changes,lost cohesion in our press.

We'll all see different but I honestly think there were a lot of positives. Wheels came off after changes, until then coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Corstorphine Jambo
8 minutes ago, FerryJambo81 said:

I'll not read whole thread, too much at this time. Will give my tuppence worth for all it is.

Hour, possibly 70 minutes we were good. Composed, played football.  Yeah, there were errors and they had couple breakaway, but I honestly thought we were good. Harried, won the ball and largely didn't allow them to play.

Our star players were not quite there at key moments. McTomimay shoulda squared to Shanks. Couple great runs but poor balls from Robertson. McGinn shots he can do better with. That miss from our very own, very unlucky tbf as done everything right. Hard bounce, got under.

Anyway. We'll not miss that many chances often, best miss then tonight. Created a bucket load. Worldy first half, started well second then we made changes,lost cohesion in our press.

We'll all see different but I honestly think there were a lot of positives. Wheels came off after changes, until then coulda, woulda, shoulda...

👊

jamborich

Shankland was good think he’s made the squad Craig and zander will probably get a half each next game don’t think Gunn is up for it 

DesertDawg
55 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

2nd Goal Souttar not marking his man

3rd goal McTominay mistimes his jump

4th goal Souttar tries to play offside and makes a mess of it.

Take Gunn and Souttar out the side and we would be three goals better off. 

The most important lesson from tonight was that taking Tierney, Gilmour and Shankland off for Souttar, Ferguson and Adams turned us back several years.  Suddenly the midfield couldn't win the ball from a press and, even if they did, they had no idea what to do with it, so the defence was overrun.

After they came on I saw Lewis Ferguson once, who lost the ball, John Soutter once, when he gave away a free kick in a dangerous position and Adams pick up a long ball which he immediate lost to Van Dijk.  Not good enough to play in the Euros.

How many subs are permitted in the Euro finals?  If it's three, we have a chance, if it's five......we're screwed.

BigAlim
2 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

The most important lesson from tonight was that taking Tierney, Gilmour and Shankland off for Souttar, Ferguson and Adams turned us back several years.  Suddenly the midfield couldn't win the ball from a press and, even if they did, they had no idea what to do with it, so the defence was overrun.

After they came on I saw Lewis Ferguson once, who lost the ball, John Soutter once, when he gave away a free kick in a dangerous position and Adams pick up a long ball which he immediate lost to Van Dijk.  Not good enough to play in the Euros.

How many subs are permitted in the Euro finals?  If it's three, we have a chance, if it's five......we're screwed.

I still think Ferguson must have something based on how well he’s doing in Serie A. McTominay, McGinn, Christie and Gilmour are doing it in the prem though so maybe he’s just not as good as them

DesertDawg
9 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I still think Ferguson must have something based on how well he’s doing in Serie A. McTominay, McGinn, Christie and Gilmour are doing it in the prem though so maybe he’s just not as good as them

Good analysis Mr. Turkey.  😁

BigAlim
13 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Good analysis Mr. Turkey.  😁

Mate I’m steamin, I just want Hearts to win next weekend but trying to get into internationals so I don’t get bored

spacerjoe
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Great.

Thanks for confirming.

Two easy fixtures?

Which one is the difficult one then?

colinmaroon
7 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thats the thing with Shankland. Hes a proper old school striker. Now I know he missed a chance that he usually tucks away, but how many times have we seen him not be that much involved in a game then bangs one in late in a game. Taking him off was a mistake. We all know what his replacement does. What was the point?

To give him a game on Tuesday?

Sherbet
8 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Could work out well if he chucks a couple in the net! Gunn didn't cover himself in glory tonight. Some good, some bad.

Didn't watch the game  just saw the goals,  not saying gunn could have said any  but some of his attempts reminded me of stewart Kennedy at Wembley in 1975

8 hours ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

We’re going to Germany one way or another.

i hope we won’t get humiliated but I can’t guarantee it. As being a Hearts fan yourself, you know that hope is all we generally have. 
I’m just posting my thoughts with no desire to irritate anyone. 

:thumb:

Go for it 1308
9 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

:vrface: Take a night off. 

Really hope I'm wrong

9 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

2nd Goal Soutar not marking his man

3rd goal McTominey mis times his jump

4th goal Soutar tries to play offside and makes a mess of it.

Take Gunn and Soutar out the side and we would be three goals better off. 

I get that people on here are biased towards our own keepers, but the first goal was hardly a howler by the keeper - it was a great strike. And let's not forget that Gunn produced a magnificent save in the first half as well - one which many keepers would not have made.

PortyJambo
9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Mctominays miss was worse than Shanklands bc

And Christie's header from McGinn's cross.

9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

It was a friendly. I would have been more surprised if he kept Shankland and others like Gilmour and Tierney on for the full 90, he was always going to make changes after 60 mins or so, that's just the way it is in a friendly.

boag1874
1 minute ago, stirlo said:

I get that people on here are biased towards our own keepers, but the first goal was hardly a howler by the keeper - it was a great strike. And let's not forget that Gunn produced a magnificent save in the first half as well - one which many keepers would not have made.

I think it was saveable tbh, it’s a powerful strike, he caught it really well but it was a good height for a keeper to save especially near post. I think Gunn will be disappointed when he sees it back.

Just now, boag1874 said:

I think it was saveable tbh, it’s a powerful strike, he caught it really well but it was a good height for a keeper to save especially near post. I think Gunn will be disappointed when he sees it back.

I agree that it was potentially saveable - but that doesn't make it a howler. And as I said, if anyone claims that Gunn cost us a goal last night, they should at least acknowledge that he also saved us a goal with a quite terrific save.

mud and mullets

Aside from the subs, my main worry from that game is that even with a couple of good saves Gunn did not look like Scotland's No. 1. If we're going to play relatively inexperienced defenders at international level like Porteous, Souttar, Patterson and Hendry we need a commanding goalie behind them. All the attention seems to be on Shankland but Clarke has a lot of work to do on the defence. Tierney needs to be wrapped in cotton wool until June!

pettigrewsstylist

Nobody knows what SC is thinking after that. 

Suspect Shanks will get another chance to show before Euros, but it may not be Tue. Guess it depends on how Tue first 60 mins goes.

I expect goalkeeper run outs on Tue but wonder who...

Shanks keeping his form going at Hearts is crucial to selection. 

I think SC has to name his euro squad by the 7th so just making the next friendlies squad has to be aim.

3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Nobody knows what SC is thinking after that. 

Suspect Shanks will get another chance to show before Euros, but it may not be Tue. Guess it depends on how Tue first 60 mins goes.

I expect goalkeeper run outs on Tue but wonder who...

Shanks keeping his form going at Hearts is crucial to selection. 

I think SC has to name his euro squad by the 7th so just making the next friendlies squad has to be aim.

He was given a very shit end of the stick game to show what he can do. Against Northern Ireland, he'd be likely to see a lot more of the ball. But maybe a sign that Clarke wanted to really test him? Although given National team managers and their propensity for favourites, it could have been to free up Adams or whoever for the Northern Ireland game 😕 

Bindy Badgy
10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting now that's the last elite opponent before the Euros.

Gibraltar and Finland in June. 

Gibralter seems like a massive waste of time. I don't see what we can learn from playing them.

Diadora Van Basten
36 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I don’t think the shot was in the corner and Gunns footwork was poor/non existent. Agree about the other saves and think he is above Clark and Kelly but although it sounds daft I am not convinced he’s above Gordon.

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

He was given a very shit end of the stick game to show what he can do. Against Northern Ireland, he'd be likely to see a lot more of the ball. But maybe a sign that Clarke wanted to really test him? Although given National team managers and their propensity for favourites, it could have been to free up Adams or whoever for the Northern Ireland game 😕 

Yeah hard to know which way SC saw it and ill try to stay positive and think the hold up, link work would be best tested against a top side.

Just a shame he fluffed the chance. They all have to get minutes so not going to read too much into not getting on on Tue.

highlandjambo3

Not read the thread since page 5, stopped watching when shanks was subbed at 1-0…..final score 4-0.

In short, who can summarise the second half and loosing 3 more goals…..poor subs etc?

Gundermann
1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Gibralter seems like a massive waste of time. I don't see what we can learn from playing them.

Yes. Nations like Iceland or Ireland would provide a better test.

ShedBoy
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not read the thread since page 5, stopped watching when shanks was subbed at 1-0…..final score 4-0.

In short, who can summarise the second half and loosing 3 more goals…..poor subs etc?

John Souttar

It’s a tough one for Shanks because he had a lot of people to win over last night and a lot of those people have made their minds up over that missed chance. 

The substitutions were awful, the defence crumbled, Robertson failed as a captain to steady the ship after the second goal. Adams came on and barely touched the ball. McTominay and Christie also spurning glorious chances

But the only thing people will take away is Shanks hitting the crossbar. Hopefully Clarke sees things sensibly.

Luckies1874
4 hours ago, briever said:

What was the point in playing Gunn for the full game?

He's the No1 and hasn't played in the last couple of games when Zander and Kelly got opportunities. Be interesting to see if he makes any changes on Tuesday but it was no surprise to see the keeper play 90 in the first friendly.

Luckies1874
4 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

The Gibraltar game is being played in the Algarve as part of the training camp pre Euro's as much to keep everyone ticking over after the long season. Some guys won't have played for a couple of weeks though the likes of McGinn could be involved in the Conference League Final just 6 days before and others in Championship play off matches. So I think that's more do with a game, in the sun, stretch the legs and give guys some game time and some goals! The Finland game on the Friday night at Hampden will be more of a test and an important run out. 

KyleLafferty

Only people shanks had to win over last night was Steve Clark and his team mates. And he’s probably done that. If Shankland doesn’t start in Germany it won’t be down to a good opportunity missed. It’s funny cause he never rushed the shot, never looked flustered, he kept his composure, stood the keeper up, just ended up a fraction too high.

Luckies1874
1 hour ago, liam11 said:

It’s a tough one for Shanks because he had a lot of people to win over last night and a lot of those people have made their minds up over that missed chance. 

The substitutions were awful, the defence crumbled, Robertson failed as a captain to steady the ship after the second goal. Adams came on and barely touched the ball. McTominay and Christie also spurning glorious chances

But the only thing people will take away is Shanks hitting the crossbar. Hopefully Clarke sees things sensibly.

The majority of actual Scotland fans not the morons on some social media have praised Shankland's overall contribution and realise that normally he would have tucked the chance away. I would go as far to say that there is now real debate as to whether he could start the Germany game. If he'd scored he would have had more people onside in that respect but he didn't and he'll regret that as he should have buried it.

Much more importantly though were the words of McGinn and Clarke, the former who said he was "outstanding". You could tell enjoyed linking up with him and that part of Shankland's game last night was very positive especially given who he was up against. Clarke also seemed more than happy and it's obvious Shanks is now an integral part of the squad and very much in the conversation for significant minutes, which he wasn't a few months ago. I'm not sure he will start on Tuesday but I think he will get more game time and likely start one of the June warm up games. Whatever happens we are going to see our striker playing for Scotland in June in a major Championship's.

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Only people shanks had to win over last night was Steve Clark and his team mates. And he’s probably done that. If Shankland doesn’t start in Germany it won’t be down to a good opportunity missed. It’s funny cause he never rushed the shot, never looked flustered, he kept his composure, stood the keeper up, just ended up a fraction too high.

Spot on. The important people know he did well and contributed to a very decent performance (for 60-70 mins), as do the vast majority of the knowledgable Scotland support. 

Bindy Badgy
34 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

The Gibraltar game is being played in the Algarve as part of the training camp pre Euro's as much to keep everyone ticking over after the long season. Some guys won't have played for a couple of weeks though the likes of McGinn could be involved in the Conference League Final just 6 days before and others in Championship play off matches. So I think that's more do with a game, in the sun, stretch the legs and give guys some game time and some goals! The Finland game on the Friday night at Hampden will be more of a test and an important run out. 

That makes a lot more sense. No harm if it's a kick about to keep match sharpness up.

31 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Potentially other clubs watching him at a higher level also.  I thought he done no bad last night.  If Adams or Dykes missed that chance they would be slaughtered on here though, them and Clarke for not picking Shankland who everyone would say would bury that chance.  I guess it stops people claiming it when the Euros start.