Scotland Euro Friendlies

Mikey1874

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Exactly.

Gunn is the No1. Gordon can't even get in the Hearts team so maybe the greeting Hearts fans should take it up with Daisy!

Gordon will be in the 23 man squad come June. 

If Gordon gets another handful of games I think he goes as no.2.  Clarke won’t trust Kelly or Zander and Kelly should be the one to miss out. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

• tian447

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Not sure what Clarke will learn by playing Gunn. 

Looks like he is going safe in a desperate bid to get a much needed win 

Who do you want him to play in goals> Clark and Kelly are not of international level and Craig Gordon has over 70 caps - not sure what he needs to lean there!! Gordon and Clark are vying for 2nd and 3rd spot for the Euros!

John Findlay
1 minute ago, May98 said:

England don't seem to have dropped Butland for example. 

You can't drop what you haven't PICKed ford.

Diadora Van Basten

Think that Scotland team would be much better with Shanks and Gordon in it but can understand why Clarke feels loyalty to Dykes and Gunn.

We are running out of games before the Euros. Would like to see Shanks and Adams get a run out later in the game I think they might compliment each other.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

Luckies1874
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

If Gordon gets another handful of games I think he goes as no.2.  Clarke won’t trust Kelly or Zander and Kelly should be the one to miss out. 

Totally agree. I think Gordon will play several post split matches for us as well as the semi-final. He will then go along with Zander and would likely be picked first, in my view, if Gunn was injured.

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Why did Clarke waste Craigys time by calling him up? He was very clear in his press conference that he wasn’t sure about where CG is right now because he’s only played against lower league teams. So calling him up with zero intention of playing him was for what? Seeing how he is in training? This a perfect time to give Craig a game. Wtf is he going to learn about Angus Gunn tonight that he doesn’t already know?? 

It's not wasting his time at all.  He's an extremely experienced goalkeeper that is valuable in and around the squad.  Gordon would have known he probably wasn't going to play and why would he?  A favour to the number two at our club to give him a run out? 

The Treasurer

Gunn was injured the past few games before last week and is the country's number 1 going into the tournament.  Why start a goalie that probably won't get off the bench in the Euro's? England don't seem to have dropped Butland for example. 

Giving minutes to inexperienced keepers, internationally, makes sense in case of injury.

I'm more surprised about the goalie than Shankland. Why put 4 goalies in the squad and not give them time? I assumed each would get a half

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

You can't drop what you haven't PICKed ford.

Oh, daft bassa me. 

Just now, The Treasurer said:

Giving minutes to inexperienced keepers, internationally, makes sense in case of injury.

They got minutes before when Gunn was injured.  Now is time to shape the team for the tournament.  Not hand random caps out for a laugh.  

jamborich
4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Mate you've not got a scoobie. 

Adams has generally been excellent for Scotland and is having a really good season for his club. Clearly, like Shankland and Dykes he will be heavily involved at 

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Far to many drama queens nowadays.

Both Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see that Lawrence Shankland wasn't starting tonight.

Agree he’s asking the question 

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Why did Clarke waste Craigys time by calling him up? He was very clear in his press conference that he wasn’t sure about where CG is right now because he’s only played against lower league teams. So calling him up with zero intention of playing him was for what? Seeing how he is in training? This a perfect time to give Craig a game. Wtf is he going to learn about Angus Gunn tonight that he doesn’t already know?? 

:vrface:

Do you think Craig thinks his time is being wasted? Gordon won't be starting at the Euro's as Gunn is the No1. Just like he has been with Hearts, Craig Gordon is delighted to be patient and be involved. His fist major championships abroad and would likely be called upon should anything happen to Gunn. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Yeah I don't have an issue with McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay being the first choice three at the moment but it's a friendly against Northern Ireland not the opening game of the Euros. Ferguson and Shanks are arguably the two most in form players in the squad, in a largely meaningless match like this they should be starting and being given the opportunity to show they're viable alternatives to the usual lot. 

Calllum McGregor walks straight back into the starting 11 when he’s fit again too.  Ferguson will likely have to wait until after the Euros to get his chance but I agree, I think he should have started one of the two games.  At least Shankland did and might get more minutes tonight.

Hearts007

Calllum McGregor walks straight back into the starting 11 when he’s fit again too.  Ferguson will likely have to wait until after the Euros to get his chance but I agree, I think he should have started one of the two games.  At least Shankland did and might get more minutes tonight.

wouldn't be surprised if its the last 5 mins

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think Gordon goes regardless.

Gunn Gordon and Clark in that order will be the goalkeepers.  

The Treasurer
Just now, May98 said:

They got minutes before when Gunn was injured.  Now is time to shape the team for the tournament.  Not hand random caps out for a laugh.  

Still think his choice tonight is all about winning. 

Embarrassing for him if they come up short with what is a strong line up 

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The inexperienced Clark and Kelly just got time when Gunn was injured! They were both pretty poor truth be told. Which is why Gordon is back in there. We hardly need to see what he can do at international level, what he needs is game time for Hearts not Scotland. He'll be the No2/No3 in Germany along with his club mate.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Not watching the game, but come on the GAWA. Hopefully, Ballymena's own Trai Hume dominates the non-Shankland attack.

Luckies1874

23 man squad assuming everyone is fit. Come at me and tell me who should be in there!!!! 

1 Gunn

2 Hickey

3 Robertson

4 McTominay

5 Hanley

6 Tierney

7 McGinn

8 McGregor

9 Dykes

10 Adams

11 Christie

12 Gordon

13 Hendry

14 Gilmour

15 Porteous

16 McKenna

17 Armstrong

18 Shankland

19 Ferguson

20 Souttar

21 Clark

22 Patterson

23 McLean

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, May98 said:

Did Kelly play?  I thought Zander played two but maybe it was only one?

HeartsandonlyHearts
6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

It's sad that every Scotland thread we are infested with posters telling us how much they don't care about their country. If you don't care, why post?

Never seen a poster write they don’t care about their country on any Scottish football game thread. I support any sports team wearing a thistle or a lion rampant on their sports uniform.

Except the football team. The reasons are obvious. We’re run by morons. Managed by a moron. And to cap it off, we insist on playing morons. 
Us- Angus come play for us

Him- no I’m English

Us- please come play for us

Him- no I’m English

Us- pretty please

Him- not interested, I’m English

Them- you’ll never play for us. Ever.

Him- just realized how Scottish I am

Us- welcome aboard

Just now, The Treasurer said:

Well we play our best team then.  This is Clarkes strongest team bar McGregor.

It will be embarrassing yes, but Scotland will win easily. 

No Idle Talk

Knew Shankland would be back oot the team. Gunn in goals anaw. Think I will give it a miss. 

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

International football manager wanting to win international football match. **** me, that will never catch on!!! 

Did Kelly play?  I thought Zander played two but maybe it was only one?

They got a half each in France.

GorgieFifeLife
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Macgregor is by far the weakest midfield option we have.  Ferguson is a superior player in every department.

Luckies1874
6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I'm more surprised about the goalie than Shankland. Why put 4 goalies in the squad and not give them time? I assumed each would get a half

Clark and Kelly got time in the last international break. Neither are anywhere near the required standard as was obvious by their pretty crap performances. Gordon is likely Clarke's No2 but we all know what he can do. He needs game time for us before the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

23 man squad assuming everyone is fit. Come at me and tell me who should be in there!!!! 

1 Gunn

2 Hickey

3 Robertson

4 McTominay

5 Hanley

6 Tierney

7 McGinn

8 McGregor

9 Dykes

10 Adams

11 Christie

12 Gordon

13 Hendry

14 Gilmour

15 Porteous

16 McKenna

17 Armstrong

18 Shankland

19 Ferguson

20 Souttar

21 Clark

22 Patterson

23 McLean

Have a feeling Jack will go, maybe in place of McLean.  The rest I completely agree with.  Hopefully Hickey is ready.  If not they will go for Taylor or Ralston. 

Just now, GorgieFifeLife said:

Macgregor is by far the weakest midfield option we have.  Ferguson is a superior player in every department.

McGregor is consistently brilliant for Scotland. 

Hearts007
Just now, May98 said:

Have a feeling Jack will go, maybe in place of McLean.  The rest I completely agree with.  Hopefully Hickey is ready.  If not they will go for Taylor or Ralston

:sadrobbo:

1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

:rofl: you've got to be joking.

Mikey1874
19 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

People need to calm down here.  Clarke will be wanting to get a positive result to get some momentum again.  International football is a step up in quality and pressure and although Shankland done fine, missing that huge chance will not have done his case any favours.  He will need to bide his time and take his chance next time.  Dykes has scored plenty important goals for Scotland and at the moment he is the man in possession of the starting shirt when the real games start.

No chance that miss makes any difference. 

Steve Clarke has said that himself.

2 minutes ago, May98 said:

McGregor is consistently brilliant for Scotland. 

He's a Brilliant football player. 

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

No chance that miss makes any difference. 

Steve Clarke has said that himself.

Of course he is going to say that.  

Des Lynam

The same folk that turned on Naismith now doing the same with Clarke. 

Posting in a huff with a Umbro coaches jacket on.

:rofl:

GorgieFifeLife
Just now, Cruyff said:

No chance.  If he is so brilliant why is he not testing himself at a better level?  McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour and Ferguson are all superior players in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Agree, extremely underrated.  Look how much celtic missed him when we beat them recently. 

Ferguson has a lot of tools in his box and will be the future.  I'm surprised he's not been given a start tonight though in place of maybe Christie. 

Luckies1874
5 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Absolute nonsense. 

How many times have you watched Ferguson live this season?  I think I'll go with Steve Clarke who has worked with these players for several years now and obviously does not feel that Ferguson is better than those we have relied on, as yet. McGregor has been excellent for Scotland and is part of a really good midfield. Ferguson's time will come and he has actually struggled in the minutes he has had. 

GorgieFifeLife
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:rofl: you've got to be joking.

Not at all.  He is playing at a poor level.

Gundermann

Tom English spot on.

'Frustrated' at Shankland's omission

Scotland v Northern Ireland (19:45)

d976c74e-425b-4e67-8cf3-cc1c4ca90b57.jpg

Tom English

BBC Scotland's chief sports writer on Sportsound

It's disappointing, not surprising.

I'm a little frustrated, though. We know what Lyndon Dykes can do at this level, we're still learning what Lawrence Shankland can do at this level...

Luckies1874
6 minutes ago, May98 said:

Have a feeling Jack will go, maybe in place of McLean.  The rest I completely agree with.  Hopefully Hickey is ready.  If not they will go for Taylor or Ralston. 

I think McLean is an absolute certainty. Has never let Clarke down and is versatile which Jack isn't. 

Luckies1874

Agree, extremely underrated.  Look how much celtic missed him when we beat them recently. 

Ferguson has a lot of tools in his box and will be the future.  

Completely spot on 👏

jamborich
12 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

1 Gunn

2 Hickey

3 Robertson

4 McTominay

5 Hanley

6 Tierney

7 McGinn

8 McGregor

9 Dykes

10 Adams

11 Christie

12 Gordon

13 Hendry

14 Gilmour

15 Porteous

16 McKenna

17 Armstrong

18 Shankland

19 Ferguson

20 Souttar

21 Clark

22 Patterson

23 McLean

Hickey 

GorgieFifeLife
Just now, Luckies1874 said:

Absolute nonsense. 

How many times have you watched Ferguson live this season?  I think I'll go with Steve Clarke who has worked with these players for several years now and obviously does not feel that Ferguson is better than those we have relied on, as yet. McGregor has been excellent for Scotland and is part of a really good midfield. Ferguson's time will come and he has actually struggled in the minutes he has had. 

The difference in the level Ferguson is playing at compared to McGregor could hardly be bigger.  McGregor is a shitebag who is scared to put himself out there at a higher level.

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, jamborich said:

Hickey 

🤔 I have him at No2!

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

The difference in the level Ferguson is playing at compared to McGregor could hardly be bigger.  McGregor is a shitebag who is scared to put himself out there at a higher level.

Is he aye. Ferguson has potential. McGregor has been a top player for several years.