Scotland Euro Friendlies

Mikey1874

Philfigo
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Really impressed by Shanks, some great link play, lead the press well and cut off passing lanes to their no 6, forced them long. Very tough shift v VDV, that guy is ****ing enormous, absolutely rapid at reading situations and Shanks did well. He shouldn't be too frustrated with the chance. 

Great comments from McGinn. Robbo on now, absolutely spot on about the way it went. 

I've just read the comments by McGinn absolutely class act that man. That is what team sport is all about, your team mates having your back

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

• tian447

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Well, I don't say this often, if at all, we were the better side but lost 4-0.   

Shankland massive one on one should be scored by his standards.   Bit disappointing. 

😵‍💫

Sorry but a team who loses 4-0 is not the better side. 

The game is about scoring goals and not conceding goals. It’s not about looking decent for 60 minutes.

Luckies1874

Both McGinn and Robertson gave superb interviews. I’m really looking forward to the summer. I think we’ve a great group of players (and lads) who want success badly, are improving individually given where they are playing and a leader in Clarke who they believe in. I think things will click and we’ll get some luck. 

Luckies1874
13 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

A far better test of his abilities than playing up against Van Dijk and Gakpo. Fails to take a goal from a handful of likely (half) chances against NI then folk have a point. Instead, Dykes will probably start and run about a bit, get a booking, and Shankland will come on about 75 mins, get a goal, and folk will say their defence tired.

😂 “A far better test of his abilities” is to play against poorer players and a lesser team?! Aye that makes no sense. 

Edited by Luckies1874

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Spot on.

Taught a lesson by a team that wasn't firing on all cylinders but put the ball in the net. They were, by definition, the better team.

This is not a good Dutch side. They were also missing a couple key players.

Let’s put it another way. If that was a Hearts game tonight the Naismith out thread would be top of the pile.

Gundermann
12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Shanks misses one chance - never play again ffs. He actually played very well. 

Wouldn’t get this treatment if he played in England or one of the OF

It was a bad miss but no-one else did any better. Loads of missed chances by different players.

First 70 minutes was excellent but the subs ruined it. Souttar was genuinely awful though.

2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

😂 “A far better test of his abilities” is to play against poorer players and a lesser team?! Aye that makes no sense. 

There is literally not a better CB in World football you can test your abilities against :lol:

Miss aside, everyone should be delighted with his shift.

Fozzyonthefence
31 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

He could have smashed it against the keeper, that's a shot on target and he doesn't score. Ask the bookies about that.

**** off!

Ray Gin

Our recent run against decent teams doesn't bode too well for the Euros.  

Beat 3-1 by England

Beat 2-0 by Spain

Pumped 4-1 by France

Pumped 4-0 by Netherlands

gnasher75

Some crazy overeactions on here. Scotland were matching Holland until Tierney, Gilmour and Shankland were subbed off.

It was a friendly so Clarke made lots of changes to give players an opportunity. Arguably too many too quickly, weakening the team.

But the result is irrelevant. Loads of positives to take out of that for the Euros.

Philfigo
Just now, Homme said:

There is literally not a better CB in World football you can test your abilities against :lol:

Miss aside, everyone should be delighted with his shift.

100% his movement and link play was 1st class. 

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

He missed his one chance but otherwise barely got a sniff. We should dominate the NI game like we should be aiming to do against the Swiss and the Hungarians, which should allow for more chances for whoever plays up top. 

That's got nothing to do with your previous comment though. Obviously we would expect to create more v N.Ireland than we would against Holland. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Corstorphine Jambo

Tonight was, for 70 minutes or so, outstanding. Dominated the Dutch. Of course Shanks should score - but would you bet against him in the Euros?

I appreciate you’ve got to try things, but taking Gilmour off was bat shit crazy 

Hearts1975

Faddy knows his stuff tbf. One of the better pundits and talks sense 

Helps that he understands the game. 

Corstorphine Jambo

And while I’m at it, Gordon saves that first goal!

periodictabledancer
10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The game is about scoring goals and not conceding goals. It’s not about looking decent for 60 minutes.

Cheer the feck up.

Did you think - did any if us think - Scotland would have that much possession and create that  many chances tonight?

This was miles away from watching the old backs  to the wall stuff. 

Lots of positives to take away.  

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

All the viaplay pundits saying similar, along with McGinn and Robertson. Apart from hitting the bar, Shanks played well. 

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sorry, maybe it was badly phrased. If we're comparing his contributions to those of our other forwards, it's only fair that he gets opportunities against teams slightly weaker than the Dutch. I mean, Che Adams and London Dykes got plenty of games against weaker teams and didn't score. As it is, Shankland has scored against San Marino and Georgia. Hopefully he can add one in one of the upcoming friendlies.

For me he actually linked and looked more comfortable than I would have predicted. McGinn's comments were very positive as to his overall game. If he had taken the chance I think it would have been an excellent performance. As thing stand I am positive he will get significant further game time in the 3 remaining friendlies. He is an absolute certainty to be in the 23 now and has gone from being someone who may have got a few minutes to someone who will be looked too, to contribute. A lot may depend on what we need from certain games too. He might not start v Germany given the opposition in game 1 but he might then be the perfect focal point v Switzerland. There are a lot of moving parts and as we all know, a lot can change quickly in football. 

Gundermann
6 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Some crazy overeactions on here. Scotland were matching Holland until Tierney, Gilmour and Shankland were subbed off.

It was a friendly so Clarke made lots of changes to give players an opportunity. Arguably too many too quickly, weakening the team.

But the result is irrelevant. Loads of positives to take out of that for the Euros.

:spoton:

But, we've been beaten by the top four sides, more or less, in Europe in recent months so let's all get morbid about it. I call for a plane over Hampden with Chlarke Oot on it.

DG_HMFC
6 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

100% his movement and link play was 1st class. 

Not according to some on Twitter.

Frightening how some people view a game and a player's performance because of the team they support.

BigAlim
Just now, DG_HMFC said:

Not according to some on Twitter.

Frightening how some people view a game and a player's performance because of the team they support.

Shanks is very unpopular in Scotland so I’m not surprised. He’s gets it up most of them on a weekly basis :lol:

ShortmanRossco
19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sir Alex Ferguson was lambasted for saying he thought Aston Villa looked a handy side after being thumped by Newcastle on the night and look where both teams are now.

Sometimes scorelines are just not reflective of the bigger picture. 

Thomaso
4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Shanks is very unpopular in Scotland so I’m not surprised. He’s gets it up most of them on a weekly basis :lol:

He’s a Hearts player - every other fan in Scotland will take the opportunity of having a pop at him! Feck them!

20 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

He missed his one chance but otherwise barely got a sniff. We should dominate the NI game like we should be aiming to do against the Swiss and the Hungarians, which should allow for more chances for whoever plays up top. 

A wee bit arrogant, no? In what world should Scotland be dominating against the Swiss and Hungary? Those teams are our equal and the Swiss in particular have a far better recent record than we have.

ArcticJambo

Hungary defeated Turkey tonight, the latter are no mugs.

boag1874
24 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Really? Adams and Dykes have mised multiple chances in a Scotland shirt.

Shankland has played really well tonight and linked up well. Should've scored, but shit happens. 

Yeah they have but also the MASSIVE argument for Shankland is “he’ll bury his chances where the other two won’t, he’s a goalscorer.” He just had the chance to prove that he can do it for Scotland as well as Hearts, he did enough to get more chances in our next friendlies but that was the moment to lay a marker down and he didn’t take it

41 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Genuinely scratching my head at the score. We played well enough, especially in the first half. They gave us a lesson in finishing though.

It's mental seeing as we got pumped but that was the best football we've played for ages.

27 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Beat 3-1 by England

Beat 2-0 by Spain

Pumped 4-1 by France

We might not win the Euros 😟

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Beat 3-1 by England

Beat 2-0 by Spain

Pumped 4-1 by France

More of the same come the summer.

tian447
29 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

McFadden never quite reached the heights he was capable of.  He talks a lot of sense, and I have a lot of time for him as a pundit or reporter. 

Plus he gave us that unbelievable goal against France. 

DG_HMFC
24 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

The good thing is, the TA will see the positives in our performance tonight and no doubt have praise for Shanklands overall play. It's the wankers on twitter who don't follow Scotland and who have their tinted specs on making the daft comments.

51 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Well, I don't say this often, if at all, we were the better side but lost 4-0.   

Shankland massive one on one should be scored by his standards.   Bit disappointing. 

😵‍💫

The better side lost 4-0.

Corstorphine Jambo
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The better side lost 4-0.

We have to be proud of how we played. Harsh lesson hopefully learned?

Mikey1874
56 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Really impressed by Shanks, some great link play, lead the press well and cut off passing lanes to their no 6, forced them long. Very tough shift v VDV, that guy is ****ing enormous, absolutely rapid at reading situations and Shanks did well. He shouldn't be too frustrated with the chance. 

Great comments from McGinn. Robbo on now, absolutely spot on about the way it went. 

And the manager

Just now, Corstorphine Jambo said:

We have to be proud of how we played. Harsh lesson hopefully learned?

I was being sarcastic.

How the Hell can the ‘better side’ get whipped 4-0?

I mean, really.  :rofl: 

periodictabledancer
34 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

:spoton:

But, we've been beaten by the top four sides, more or less, in Europe in recent months so let's all get morbid about it. I call for a plane over Hampden with Chlarke Oot on it.

This. 

England & France are the two outstanding candidates to win it and Spain won't be far off.

But apparently we're doomed to  fail in a group where not one country was ranked in the top 16 in the draw. 

Why do we feckin bother 

Mikey1874
34 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Not going by the 'pick the team' options before game. 

Good majority of people were picking Shankland. 

Hearts1975
38 minutes ago, Cigaro said:

All the viaplay pundits saying similar, along with McGinn and Robertson. Apart from hitting the bar, Shanks played well. 

He did indeed. And looked a constant threat ..... all the more positive when he was up there on his own, and getting marked by VVD! 

Clark wanted to see if he could also hold the ball up, play in his system, and link play.

Pretty sure over the 65 minutes, or so, he got his answer. 

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Shouldn’t have taken Shanks off 

Thats the thing with Shankland. Hes a proper old school striker. Now I know he missed a chance that he usually tucks away, but how many times have we seen him not be that much involved in a game then bangs one in late in a game. Taking him off was a mistake. We all know what his replacement does. What was the point?

Mikey1874
Posted (edited)

Clarke was then asked specifically about Shankland and backed the man he showed faith in to bounce back

"Lawrence can be pleased with his contribution," he added. "Obviously he's a striker and he wants to score goals. He only had one big chance to score in the game and you'd expect him to score it. But there will be another day."

Edited by Mikey1874

DG_HMFC
23 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Yeah they have but also the MASSIVE argument for Shankland is “he’ll bury his chances where the other two won’t, he’s a goalscorer.” He just had the chance to prove that he can do it for Scotland as well as Hearts, he did enough to get more chances in our next friendlies but that was the moment to lay a marker down and he didn’t take it

Shankland has had less than 10 appearances for Scotland, mostly as a sub, scoring 2 goals.

Up against arguably the best CB in the world tonight and I thought he led the line pretty well.

Luckies1874

Interesting comments from Stevie boy. I think there may have been wholesale changes planned for Tuesday but I think it's now important we get a positive result to go with a lot of recent encouraging performances (against some top sides) so that may mean we go really strong for the first half - 60 minutes. Good that everyone in the camp has been so positive about Shanks. Hopefully him starting in such a match will quieten some of the Hearts fans who have felt there was an agenda against our boy! 

"Lawrence can be pleased with his contribution. He's a striker he wants to score goals. He only had one big chance in the game and normally you'd expect Lawrence to score it but there will be another day.

"I have got to clear my head. I had an idea in mind what I might do on Tuesday night but the game tonight might have just changed that."

Edited by Luckies1874

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thats the thing with Shankland. Hes a proper old school striker. Now I know he missed a chance that he usually tucks away, but how many times have we seen him not be that much involved in a game then bangs one in late in a game. Taking him off was a mistake. We all know what his replacement does. What was the point?

Find me an international friendly fixture in March where there aren't numerous subs and pretty much every starting striker replaced. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Clarke was then asked specifically about Shankland and backed the man he showed faith in to bounce back

"Lawrence can be pleased with his contribution," he added. "Obviously he's a striker and he wants to score goals. He only had one big chance to score in the game and you'd expect him to score it. But there will be another day."

Aye, probably in 12 months time!

Mikey1874

Interesting now that's the last elite opponent before the Euros.

Gibraltar and Finland in June. 

Diadora Van Basten

1st goal Gunn should have saved it

2nd Goal Soutar not marking his man

3rd goal McTominey mis times his jump

4th goal Soutar tries to play offside and makes a mess of it.

Take Gunn and Soutar out the side and we would be three goals better off. 

BigAlim
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not going by the 'pick the team' options before game. 

Good majority of people were picking Shankland. 

Aye that was me I have several accounts 

Diadora Van Basten

I would imagine Dykes and Adam will get a chance against Northern Ireland but Shanks has done himself no harm even though he missed his chance to be a hero. 

Hopefully Clark or if I am honest I want Gordon to get his chance.