Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

JamboAl

Did not see today's match.

Was wondering whether those who did, still see Armstrong as worth paying big(ish) money for.

Edited by JamboAl

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Was wondering whether those who did, still see Armstrong as worth paying big(ish) money for.

Nah. 

soonbe110
7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

👍🏻 and of course if we can agree a fee.

if we could sign the 2 players mentioned on this thread, Allan Campbell and Armstrong we’d be a much stronger side 

Don’t think Armstrong played today.  Pity, I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. 

soonbe110
5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Halkett needs to prove his fitness. Same with Boyce. Can't rely on them tbf. 

We shall see. Boyce back next week. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think Armstrong played today.  Pity, I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. 

He did play today

soonbe110
18 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

@soonbe110 Player looking for a club and this is what his representatives are circulating. Note the QR code... 

image.thumb.jpeg.bfd531addd43d3b5a7f0e4c6cc39e3db.jpeg

Have seen exactly this sort of thing before which is why I was so confident clubs use it, and why I'm saying it's a useful resource. 

It’s a cv, nothing to do with expected transfer fee or market value.  Poor guy is looking for a job. 

soonbe110
11 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

He's been mentioned a few times by some decent posters. I wonder if we're keeping tabs. L1 TOTS is well within our reach. 

Think we are looking for a rb.  He doesn’t fit the bill.   Mayo fits the bill and can play n the middle. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

We need a bit of proper quality. Signed some decent squad players but we need a couple of guys that can make the difference in big games. 

👏👏

soonbe110
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Not on today’s showing.  Kennedy looked better. 

soonbe110
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He did play today

😂😂I know he did, I was there.  He was anonymous though so I didn’t see him. 

jamboinglasgow
Just now, soonbe110 said:

😂😂I know he did, I was there.  He was anonymous though so I didn’t see him. 

😂 The problem with the internet, its hard to detect sarcasm. oops.

soonbe110
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

😂 The problem with the internet, its hard to detect sarcasm. oops.

👍👍

Batistuta87
18 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s a cv, nothing to do with expected transfer fee or market value.  Poor guy is looking for a job. 

My point is that clubs and players use it. So it's not a big load of shite like you think it is.

They also never mention transfer fees unless a player actually moves and the fee is confirmed. They just estimate market values which is pretty easy to do if you've got the right data.  

Anyway... Who cares. I think it's useful you don't 🤷🏻

Edited by Batistuta87

Armstrong was quiet partly because we controlled the midfield and he didn't see much of the ball. We could have done with his usual quality of final ball today (and especially last week).

kingantti1874

Armstrong played left for at least part of the game rather than on the right.  Not sure why.  Hes a good player, his delivery is brilliant. Would create a lot of goals for us .  

depends on the fee. 700k tops maybe 

Edited by kingantti1874

soonbe110
45 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

My point is that clubs and players use it. So it's not a big load of shite like you think it is.

They also never mention transfer fees unless a player actually moves and the fee is confirmed. They just estimate market values which is pretty easy to do if you've got the right data.  

Anyway... Who cares. I think it's useful you don't 🤷🏻

I have never said it was completely crap.  Check my posts - I said the market value/transfer value parts were crap.  
If you don’t care why are you so agitated about my comments from a couple of days ago? It’s a pretty irrelevant website in terms of what we might receive or pay for any player 

soonbe110
16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Armstrong played left for at least part of the game rather than on the weight.  Not sure why.  Hes a good player, his delivery is brilliant. Would create a lot of goals for us .  

He was anonymous for the entire time he was on the park today.  Kennedy on the other hand caused us problems at times on the other wing. Not saying Armstrong isn’t any good, just surprised at how quiet he was today.  Maybe didn’t want to upset Naismith 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Who was Kennedy, the number 10 on the left side?  If it was he overplayed the ball multiple times. 

Whereas, Armstrong never really received with any room to work with.  Both full backs in fact, Cochrane and Dex handled their wide me fairly well.  Armstrong still put in half a dozen danerous crosses, most of which were with his weaker right foot,  Can't say any of our lot emulated any of that, not even close. If Armstrong is available for a million I'd take him.  Also need to team him up with a big dynamic striker, the Canadian Bair. :thumbsup:

ArcticJambo
34 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Armstrong was quiet partly because we controlled the midfield and he didn't see much of the ball. We could have done with his usual quality of final ball today (and especially last week).

mhmmm.

soonbe110
5 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Who was Kennedy, the number 10 on the left side?  If it was he overplayed the ball multiple times. 

Whereas, Armstrong never really received with any room to work with.  Both full backs in fact, Cochrane and Dex handled their wide me fairly well.  Armstrong still put in half a dozen danerous crosses, most of which were with his weaker right foot,  Can't say any of our lot emulated any of that, not even close. If Armstrong is available for a million I'd take him.  Also need to team him up with a big dynamic striker, the Canadian Bair. :thumbsup:

That’s not happening whilst Naismith is manager. 

Hearts1975
49 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Armstrong played left for at least part of the game rather than on the right.  Not sure why.  Hes a good player, his delivery is brilliant. Would create a lot of goals for us .  

Think McInnes thought Dexter would push forward and maybe leave Kingsley, who isn't right footed, isolated, and 1 on 1 with Armstrong. 

I did wonder myself why. 

hisnameis

I think over the course of the season and last, Armstrong has proved that he is a very good player at this level. Lawrie stated that he had the most assists of any player in the league this year which must surely be a huge factor in why Killie are where they are. He has also proved that he can cause the OF problems on more than one occasion. 

Even when off form, as in yesterday, he still played in a few excellent balls that others failed to capitalise on, with some delivered with his "weaker" foot. Good delivery with both feet is extremely rare at this level.

We do not have anyone who delivers that kind of quality cross on a consistent basis. I do not think there is any doubt that he would be a great addition to our squad.

Judging him on one game, when played on the opposite side of the pitch, is harsh. Shankland did not have a great game again today but no one would say that he is a poor player.  

spacerjoe
11 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I have never said it was completely crap.  Check my posts - I said the market value/transfer value parts were crap.  
If you don’t care why are you so agitated about my comments from a couple of days ago? It’s a pretty irrelevant website in terms of what we might receive or pay for any player 

It will be almost fully automated I'd imagine, with probably only manual exceptions made to the very top tier players.

For sure, it will struggle to put proper values on outliers in leagues like ours. All it can go on is past data from the club, league and other clubs and leagues that would sit in our cohort.

It's basically Zoopla for football.

So it's probably not far off for over half the players on there.

I'd think that over time, they could augment it further with AI to bring in more contextual data - ie replace the job that 1000s if humans would need to do - like the clubs financial circumstances, how many clubs are chasing a player, etc.

spacerjoe
11 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Does he fit our style of play though?

Not saying he couldn't adapt, but we're not really setup to throw dozens of crosses into that box every match.

Dhanda and Spittal make more sense. McCowan at Dundee too if we were to buy someone.

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

Not saying he couldn't adapt, but we're not really setup to throw dozens of crosses into that box every match.

Dhanda and Spittal make more sense. McCowan at Dundee too if we were to buy someone.

Fair point, although I'm actually not sure we have a style as such.  We have Shankland and due to his mobility we are somewhat hamstrung, imo. Moving forward (prob without Shanks) I'd hope we play a much more dynamic, all pressing game. We're inherently slow right now, move the deadwood on and replace, we're heading in the right direction with the pre-contracts. :thumbsup:

Farmer1

Callum paterson posted on his Instagram “last home game” with his wife, does that mean he is leaving Sheffield Wednesday this year?

I know he comes up every year but would be an excellent option considering we have no obvious right back and uncertainty over shankland. 

Gordons left glove
2 minutes ago, Farmer1 said:

Callum paterson posted on his Instagram “last home game” with his wife, does that mean he is leaving Sheffield Wednesday this year?

I know he comes up every year but would be an excellent option considering we have no obvious right back and uncertainty over shankland. 

Not last home game of the season?

ArcticJambo

oooft, Paterson and Bair on the end of Armstrong and Dhanda deliveries!

:sweeet:

GavK1012
4 minutes ago, Farmer1 said:

Get the quote right at least min 🫣🤨

JimmyCant
12 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

On today’s showing you wouldn’t buy Shankland either. You don’t judge a player on one showing though. It appears YOU do right enough. Armstrong (and Kennedy)had an excellent season and would improve us

JimmyCant
10 minutes ago, Farmer1 said:

He’s got another year in his deal. No danger he’s coming here and giving up that kind of money.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

On today’s showing you wouldn’t buy Shankland either. You don’t judge a player on one showing though. It appears YOU do right enough. Armstrong (and Kennedy)had an excellent season and would improve us

Na kennedy has had his chance and failed.  

Farmer1
16 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Not last home game of the season?

Could well be, but it was just the Sheffield wednesday fans commenting saying “sign the contract” made me wonder what his situation was. 

JimmyCant
9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Na kennedy has had his chance and failed.  

He’s too old for us to be paying money for anyway

Debut 4
31 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

We have the likes of Forrest who burrows down the left but never lifts his head or puts a good cut back over, certainly not frequently enough for the times he gets into the channels outside or inside the box.  

I don’t think the vision is battering umpteen crosses from further out, it’s about having better players with better quality in certain positions.  

section s heart
41 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Just talking about that to a mate yesterday. Not doubting Armstrong's ability, but much of the effectiveness of his crossing is presumably helped by having bigger guys to pick out from crosses free kicks and corners. We are one of the smallest teams in the league. 

grumpyespana

We should also be looking to change things when needed  by bringing in a lump of a lad who is good in the air up front.

soonbe110
53 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Yes  it’s clear Naismith believes in possession and playing through the opposition  He isn’t a fan of hurling crosses in to big strikers   If he was he would signed Van Veen on loan in January 

Leveins Battalion

If I could pick anybody it would be McCowan.

Also if we are looking for a cheap striker I'd take a punt on Bruce Anderson.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes  it’s clear Naismith believes in possession and playing through the opposition  He isn’t a fan of hurling crosses in to big strikers   If he was he would signed Van Veen on loan in January 

There seemed to be quite a clamour for us to sign Van Veen in the break. I haven't followed him closely since he signed for Killie but he doesn't seem to have made a significant impact as yet. 

LarrysRightFoot

Whilst it’s good to see players in flesh to help make your assessment, you can’t make a final judgement based on one performance. 

If we sell Shanks we will prob want £3m (minimum) based on yesterday would anyone pay that? 

LarrysRightFoot
Just now, davemclaren said:

There seemed to be quite a clamour for us to sign Van Veen in the break. I haven't followed him closely since he signed for Killie but he doesn't seem to have made a significant impact as yet. 

Got to admit I wanted us to sign KVV - I hadn’t realised how unfit he was though. I assume the club would have known this though if we ever considered signing him. 

kingantti1874
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

Whilst it’s good to see players in flesh to help make your assessment, you can’t make a final judgement based on one performance. 

If we sell Shanks we will prob want £3m (minimum) based on yesterday would anyone pay that? 

Agree with your point. On shanks ! I still believe he will sign a new deal and be at hearts next season. Rangers won’t pay it, and he doesn’t have the attributes (pace) to play in the championship. 

spacerjoe
17 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We have the likes of Forrest who burrows down the left but never lifts his head or puts a good cut back over, certainly not frequently enough for the times he gets into the channels outside or inside the box.  

I don’t think the vision is battering umpteen crosses from further out, it’s about having better players with better quality in certain positions.  

For sure, as I mentioned, I'm sure he could adapt it he has the ability.

But I don't think he's a like for like replacement for Forrest or that position.

Armstrong is much more of a traditional right midfielder and plays mostly right of a 4 man midfield in a 442. Forrest, Oda, Vargas are wide forwards.

For us to drop a big fee on a rival's top player, we'd have to be sure he could adapt to our system, or change our system to suit him.

I see Dhanda and Spittal slotting in as they are now. McCowan at Dundee could also.

spacerjoe
32 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Just talking about that to a mate yesterday. Not doubting Armstrong's ability, but much of the effectiveness of his crossing is presumably helped by having bigger guys to pick out from crosses free kicks and corners. We are one of the smallest teams in the league. 

23 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yeah, this is my thinking also

Farmer1
23 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

If I could pick anybody it would be McCowan.

Also if we are looking for a cheap striker I'd take a punt on Bruce Anderson.

I agree on both counts

I agree on both counts

Me too, I have always thought Anderson was worth a punt and would do well in team where he would get decent service 

kingantti1874
36 minutes ago, section s heart said:

we do need to improve in the physicality area.  This is the primary reason we struggle against the huns imo.

but on Armstrong, his crossing is his crossing delivery is excellent.  Flat, accurate and with pace. Doesn’t float the ball often.

shanks would have a field day with those deliveries. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Must have watched him about 15 times now  Decent player in the Killie set up Not sure he fits Naismith style of play   He is nearly 27 and at Killie for a reason  Certainly not a £1m player imo as some seem to think  

Opinion on Armstrong hasn't changed. Killie are quite a one dimensional team. As a winger Armstrong cannot single handedly win games. The strikers he's got ahead of him aren't very good, neither are the midfielders. 

His stats despite that speak for themselves. 

That said, his agent is the same one that ruined Jamie Walker, and is a super hun. Not sure its someone we will want to deal with based on his previous nonsense. Luke McCowan also a very good option. Either or both would improve us.