Neil Warnock

Rudy T

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

By Lee Johnson I mean his lack of local knowledge will kill him

Its all the same game ultimately. Johnson was arrogant and Warnock is the same. He'd like a cup what team wouldn't 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wee Mikey

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

Opinionated Jambo

I've always liked Neil Warnock. I really like his character and the way he speaks, there's not many managers like him nowadays. I think he will do well at Aberdeen, their squad isn't awful on paper, perhaps not as strong as it used to be a few years ago but they still have decent players to work with. It wouldn't surprise me if he signed a 1 year deal with them in the summer if he did well so he could have a full crack at the league and see where he finishes

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Opinionated Jambo said:

I've always liked Neil Warnock. I really like his character and the way he speaks, there's not many managers like him nowadays. I think he will do well at Aberdeen, their squad isn't awful on paper, perhaps not as strong as it used to be a few years ago but they still have decent players to work with. It wouldn't surprise me if he signed a 1 year deal with them in the summer if he did well so he could have a full crack at the league and see where he finishes

I don't think that will happen he's only till the summer 

The outcome of this will depend on the type of attitude the Aberdeen players have. I would think his management style will be hard as nails, Fergie style shouting old stool. Modern players very seldom like this now and toys get chucked out the pram. I think Warnock is a funny guy, very media savvy and likeable character as we don't get many managers that will come out with the stuff he does. If they players like the old stool approach they will do well if not itl be a car crash appointment, could go either way for them. Also get the feeling this is a bit of PR exercise as well.

Edited by Philfigo

Apparently nearly got the Hearts job but we gave it to Csaba he sounded a bit insulted by it :o

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We never had a Latvian manager, its indicative of his many borderline racist comments hes made over the years, whether said in jest or not. 
Hes also an average manager whose tactics belong in the past. 

Well, it is easy to confuse the many former Soviet countries 'over there' at times. Thank god most people aren't so pedantic. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Well, it is easy to confuse the many former Soviet countries 'over there' at times. Thank god most people aren't so pedantic. 

For people whos club wasn’t run by, managed by and had dozens of Lithuanians perhaps. 
No matter what country he mentioned he was still belittling them and using a casual form of racism to do so. 

16 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Csaba was from Hungary I think mate

1 hour ago, Philfigo said:

The outcome of this will depend on the type of attitude the Aberdeen players have. I would think his management style will be hard as nails, Fergie style shouting old stool. Modern players very seldom like this now and toys get chucked out the pram. I think Warnock is a funny guy, very media savvy and likeable character as we don't get many managers that will come out with the stuff he does. If they players like the old stool approach they will do well if not itl be a car crash appointment, could go either way for them. Also get the feeling this is a bit of PR exercise as well.

This could go any way. I'm sure Colin will ruffle a few feathers - the key will be if the players like having their feathers ruffled or not.

(It's school, not stool btw)

Tommy Brown
15 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Csaba was from Hungary I think mate

Yes but Colin probably didn't know that, or care.

Got his baltics confused when asked a question.

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

:isee:

13 minutes ago, Musemic said:

This could go any way. I'm sure Colin will ruffle a few feathers - the key will be if the players like having their feathers ruffled or not.

(It's school, not stool btw)

Hahahaha I was typing it as old skool the funky way and it must have auto corrected it to say stool. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
8 hours ago, Chimp said:

Some man is Warnock. I reckon he'll do well up here. 

I don't mind him tbh.

However young modern footballers will hate him imo. I doubt he'll do well.

It's a different game now. And he'll lose the dressing room fairly quickly imo probably by the end of the season. 

Hairdryer managers don't work with these players today, it confuses them. 

3 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I don't mind him tbh.

It's a different game now. And he'll lose the dressing room fairly quickly imo probably by the end of the season. 

How do you work that out? He's only been out of work for a few months and has successfully managed "modern" footballers at several different clubs in recent years.

4 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I don't mind him tbh.

Clearly it's anyone's guess how things will go at Aberdeen - and I agree with those who say it's a strange appointment. But I don't think there's much to base the assumption about modern footballers not liking him on. He's been managing for over 40 years and right up until very recently. He mentioned in his interview today that 90-95% of being a football manager is about man management - and I've never heard ex-players speak negatively about him (although I imagine there will be one or two - there always are). I also suspect that the whole hairdryer thing is overblown (no pun intended!) - as it was with Fergie. 

People sometimes make a big deal about the generation gap between older managers and young footballers, but on the flip side you could argue that it's easier for an older manager to command the respect of the players. Even if a player doesn't see eye to eye with Warnock, it's very difficult to claim that someone who's been managing for 40-odd years - including some big clubs - doesn't know a thing or two about football management.

Arrogant Englander who thinks it’ll be a cakewalk up here because a couple of times he managed to guide a team to 17th or higher in the EPL. Hopefully pumped every game, starting tomorrow. Remember Craig Hignett, Dean Windass, Noel Whelan (especially Noel Whelan, he was shit) etc thinking they’d skoosh it at Aberdeen? 

jimbojambo

I like Warnock but I see this as a working holiday to get some golf in and another chapter for his book. I don't view them as a challenge this season so good luck to him. Teams around them in the table will not like his appointment. 

19 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Arrogant Englander who thinks it’ll be a cakewalk up here because a couple of times he managed to guide a team to 17th or higher in the EPL. Hopefully pumped every game, starting tomorrow. Remember Craig Hignett, Dean Windass, Noel Whelan (especially Noel Whelan, he was shit) etc thinking they’d skoosh it at Aberdeen? 

In fairness those guys did not too bad, although you're right that Whelan was fairly underwhelming. I think the better examples, though, are some of the guys that signed for the Old Firm in the twilight of their careers thinking they'd stroll it such as Joey Barton and Ian Wright. Another Whelan - our own Glenn Whelan - also comes within this category. In fact IIRC he was given special dispensation not to attend training every day, which should never have been allowed.  

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Philfigo said:

Hahahaha I was typing it as old skool the funky way and it must have auto corrected it to say stool. 

I think old STOOL describes Warnock quite well tbh 😜

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

👍🏽🤞

Pasquale for King

Might be better if he does ok, they give him the job, blow their budget on nobodies from down south then have to sack him by Xmas 😆

6 hours ago, stirlo said:

In fairness those guys did not too bad, although you're right that Whelan was fairly underwhelming. I think the better examples, though, are some of the guys that signed for the Old Firm in the twilight of their careers thinking they'd stroll it such as Joey Barton and Ian Wright. Another Whelan - our own Glenn Whelan - also comes within this category. In fact IIRC he was given special dispensation not to attend training every day, which should never have been allowed.  

Yeah, initially Hignett and Windass looked good. Then Jim Jefferies signed McCann, Cameron, Hamilton and Weir from smaller Scottish clubs and left Aberdeen with their EPL stars in the dust. 

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

Yeah, initially Hignett and Windass looked good. Then Jim Jefferies signed McCann, Cameron, Hamilton and Weir from smaller Scottish clubs and left Aberdeen with their EPL stars in the dust. 

That late 90s period was definitely a turning point when it came to us against Aberdeen - and Cameron was the first of quite a few players to turn down Dons in favour of us (Kevin Kyle and Darren Barr are others that spring to mind in the years since).

Craig Hignett was a strange one as my recollection is that he had been a key player in getting Middlesbrough promoted to the Premiership - and having won promotion they then sold him to Aberdeen. I recall that he quickly got fed up commuting back and forward to the north-east of England but I've just checked and was surprised to see that he only actually made 13 appearances for Aberdeen.  

Horatio Caine
11 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Excuse my ignorance but, why is Warnock being referred to as 'Colin'?

The Treasurer

Sky just dredged up an old interview with Warnock saying how much he loved rangers, that will go down well with the sheep 

Ex member of the SaS

Aberdeen have back themselves into a corner( like they did with Robson ) Give him the job on a temp basis but if he does well ( like Robson ) how do they say goodbye? They will be compelled to give him the gig permanently and long term this could be a disaster ( like Robson ). Far better they had taken their time and got the manager they required full time from the off. 

Nookie Bear
10 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

I like Warnock but I see this as a working holiday to get some golf in and another chapter for his book. I don't view them as a challenge this season so good luck to him. Teams around them in the table will not like his appointment. 

Nah i think Warnock is professional and will be taking this as seriously as he has every other job in the past. I don't expect him to be able to make too much difference to their results but he is not here for a jolly.

CostaJambo

He has some pair of cojones on him "I can't see me getting the sack in 4 months". Just watch their players down tools the minute they are out the cup and mathematically unable to get 4th if he is throwing his weight around.

Mr Sifter
16 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Someone somewhere worked out that “Neil

Warnock” is an anagram of “Colin W️ ”, and the rest is history 🤣

Edited by Mr Sifter

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

For people whos club wasn’t run by, managed by and had dozens of Lithuanians perhaps. 
No matter what country he mentioned he was still belittling them and using a casual form of racism to do so. 

🤦‍♂️

Tommy Brown
27 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

his name is an anagram of Colin w-*nker:lol:

problems with the sweary filter

Edited by Tommy Brown

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

I was surprised to learn in his press conference that he's not a golfer. But he's got plans to caddy for his son, so that's one thing ticked off. 

I think he said long enough that he'd like to have a chance at managing in Scotland, so this, as a short-term appointment, allows him to tick that box. I don't think that he's in it to coast and I strongly doubt he's underestimating Scottish football. You don't live a long life in the game, with half a foot in Scotland (by residence), without picking up at least some of the flavour of the game. Sure, there will be some nuances that he's not yet prepared for but he's a wily old sod and will get good advice. However, I don't think he'd have been so vocal about wanting to try it out if he was completely clueless. 

Not that that means he'll turn Aberdeen into regular match winners from the case they are just now. The big challenge is to get the better of Dundee twice in order to creep into the top 6 and the way Dundee have being playing lately, it could be quite a tussle. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

his name is an anagram of Colin w-*nker:lol:

problems with the sweary filter

Ah right! Thanks to all who replied.  That one had completely passed me by.

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Sky just dredged up an old interview with Warnock saying how much he loved rangers, that will go down well with the sheep 

He actually pretty much repeated this himself in his interview yesterday, but it sounds very much like it's just a case of him claiming to have Rangers leanings to wind up Alan Brazil, who he has worked with at Talksport. He also mentioned yesterday - and has a few times in the past - that Morton are his local team in Scotland and he does actually turn up to a game at Cappielow now and then. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Rods said:

This might have been covered but was it not Warnock that recommended Damour to Levein? 

Warnock gave him his game at Cardiff. He was a key player for him in the Championship  

13 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Don't really care how he does but happy for him to get wins against the OF and Hibs, a win v Rangers coupled with us somehow getting an elusive win in Perth and we're only 7 behind the huns with a game in hand!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Don't really care how he does but happy for him to get wins against the OF and Hibs, a win v Rangers coupled with us somehow getting an elusive win in Perth and we're only 7 behind the huns with a game in hand!

Their game in hand is against Ross County, we aren't catching them. Happy for Aberdeen to get pumped, no confidence, no momentum for a cup run

RustyRightPeg
26 minutes ago, Rods said:

This might have been covered but was it not Warnock that recommended Damour to Levein? 

Still convinced that was payback for Levein telling him Paterson was a RB.

22 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Still convinced that was payback for Levein telling him Paterson was a RB.

Warnock played Callum in 9 different positions in 76 games, so it's fair to say he wasn't sure himself what position to play him. 

Callum has played, as a pro, in every outfield position.

57 minutes ago, Rods said:

Levein tried to sign Damour before Warnock signed him for Cardiff.

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, Rods said:

Yeah he said if you want a midfielder who is happy to watch the ball sail back and forward over his head then hes your man, payback for CL selling him Paterson as a RB. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Warnock played Callum in 9 different positions in 76 games, so it's fair to say he wasn't sure himself what position to play him. 

He still hasn’t nailed one down. 

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Hearts sold me dud defender, jokes Cardiff boss as he hails Callum Paterson (scotsman.com)

This was what I was referring to...

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, JJ93 said:

🤦‍♂️

How can you forget one of our cup winning managers? One of only 2 this century.

🤦‍♂️

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

51 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Their game in hand is against Ross County, we aren't catching them. Happy for Aberdeen to get pumped, no confidence, no momentum for a cup run

Where I’m at. Aberdeen/Hibs or any non-gruesome winning the cup has severe implications for us. 

27 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yes I know I remember him making the joke at the time and lots on here agreeing with him that Callum isn't the best defender. 

I just pointed out Warnock still played him at RB and LB as well as all over midfield and as centre forward. 

Turkishcap

Look forward to this, it wont be dull plus if he has an Impact its one less top 6 space a for certain team.