Neil Warnock

Rudy T

3 hours ago, Mr Benn said:

Short-term it feels like a good appointment. It was who I wanted at the time we appointed Stendel. He was available and  would have been more flexible than Stendel was willing to be. He's 75 though so it's hardly long-term. People who think he's a dinosaur in playing style are a bit off the mark. He built his QPR promotion winning team around Adel Taarabt. 

His stories about that QPR side are great, fining Taarabt for coming back to receive a pass in his own half & fining anyone who passed to him in his own half, unorthodox man management but clearly it worked!

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wee Mikey

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

BelgeJambo

Good old Colin Wxxkxr

Edited by BelgeJambo

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Every time I have heard him interviewed he consistently says the same thing . He sets a team up to play the way that best suits the personnel that he has to work with . I suspect he will set Aberdeen up to utilise Barron and Shinnie in the middle and try and feed Miovski centrally with the wide threat coming from Devlin linking up with the midfield too . He is no mug and Aberdeen do have a few good players in their team so I think they will almost definitely improve . Hopefully they get knocked out the cup before he has a chance to get them playing football again 

So the exact same set up they’ve been using to such good effect this season already.

He might get a tune out of them I suppose because he’s not a mug and he’s been around

I think Aberdeen have a problem with mobility in defence and you can only fix that with signings (not an option) I think they’ve got a couple of decent footballers in midfield Barron McGrath Clarkson, who they’ve been by passing in favour of the ball over the top or the diagonal. Miovski is really good but outwith that they don’t have much up front, especially since Duk decided he’s on the fries this season

Hrs not going to change their personnel much (he can’t really unless he’s got some youngsters pushing) and he’s not going to change the system much. Despite what he says about playing a system that suits the players you have, he’s a long ball man with not a huge amount of finesse or cleverness about it. He always been that type. Chuck in that he’s a footballing dinosaur. Chuck in that he’s never managed up here.

Dont think he’ll get them in trouble. RC and Livi look like a safety net down there. Don’t think he’ll win the cup or get close to it. Don’t think he’ll finish top six. Think he’ll take a couple of real spankings early doors. Think he’ll be a bit of sideshow entertainment

merseyjambo
11 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Barry Robson caught us last year!

Thankfully that clown Neilson is long gone though. 

Barry Robson did to us last season what we are doing just now. Winning games in a row against bottom 6 teams plus us at our lowest.

He wasn’t a world beater or good manager. He got the expected results when we imploded.

This is such a weird appointment. He’s a grinder of results in relegation battles. Aberdeen are unlikely to be in that so I don’t get what he brings unless it’s to get younger players working with an experienced manager after flopping with Bazza

JimmyCant
11 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Barry Robson did to us last season what we are doing just now. Winning games in a row against bottom 6 teams plus us at our lowest.

He wasn’t a world beater or good manager. He got the expected results when we imploded.

This is such a weird appointment. He’s a grinder of results in relegation battles. Aberdeen are unlikely to be in that so I don’t get what he brings unless it’s to get younger players working with an experienced manager after flopping with Bazza

Another thing I noticed in his favour. After Tuesday he doesn’t have the OF or Hearts to play against until the split

tartofmidlothian
16 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Despite all the chat about us imploding last season, I'd say we were much more even with them even later in the season. Their only advantage was getting a couple of good results against Rangers.

Weebroon98

I can't see he lasting until the end of the season as i think he will fall out with dave cormack

The_razors_edge

Not the worst appointment in my opinion. Has made a career out of making crap teams better. Which is basically what he’s been tasked with here. It’s his MO. 

jamboinglasgow
32 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Despite all the chat about us imploding last season, I'd say we were much more even with them even later in the season. Their only advantage was getting a couple of good results against Rangers.

If they had lost against Rangers in the last game before the split rather than won it, they would have finished 4th. Or if we had drawn away from home against Aberdeen rather than lost (either away game) we would have been 3rd.

As you say, it was actually very even. That season both Hearts and Aberdeen went through strong spells with a lot of good results (us post-world cup, them with their 7 game win streak) and an awful spell (us with the horrible spell from February to April, Aberdeen with their post world cup run.) It showed how similar we are, though we had at least the excuse of a very busy period of European games and a crazy level of injuries in the season up to the world cup.

12 hours ago, stirlo said:

Well perhaps it's just the case that some people like him and some people don't - it does happen sometimes. What's more, I imagine very few folk on here have actually met the guy in person.

His spot on Sacked in Morning suggests he's an amusing character with some banter - never really thought much of him as a manager - but he's made a successful living out of it.

Section Q
14 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

The pressure?

I have a funny feeling that those used to English football think that they'll simply skoosh it up here.

More fool them, methinks.

There's every chance that he'll do a 'Joey Barton'.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, should it come to pass, that after a few defeats ... for him ... he'll not only be 'Under Pressure', but the 'Heat will be on' ...

... Cue a couple of appropriate classic tunes for another musical time-out ... 🤣

Naisey will see him off

❤️❤️G❤️

The pressure's totally on him.

JayTeeJnr

Interesting character. Comes across as a great guy when he's on the radio but regularly acts like a d*ck when he's managing on game day.

Based on his record at other clubs, I'd expect him to get a lot more out of their players and push up the league.

jambo-in-furness

One way or another, his appointment will be entertaining.

I quite like his personality,  he’s controversial to say the least and his comments on our so called referees I can’t wait for.

RustyRightPeg

Box ticked as far as he's concerned. Managed in Scotland, something he's always wanted to do.

Don't see it going well to be honest. 🤞 

Turkishcap
45 minutes ago, JayTeeJnr said:

Interesting character. Comes across as a great guy when he's on the radio but regularly acts like a d*ck when he's managing on game day.

Based on his record at other clubs, I'd expect him to get a lot more out of their players and push up the league.

Not what hubs want or need cmon Warnock!

McNelly15

Welcome to Scotland Neil. It's a simple job you have, finish bottom six.. Thanks for the memories 

Japan Jambo

6 years younger than Biden and limited downside - at worst he blows up Aberdeen, Biden on the other hand...

Pasquale for King

Absolute dinosaur, exactly the kind of manager Scottish football doesn’t need. 

As opposed to the merry go round of managers we are used too , this will be worth a watch 

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolute dinosaur, exactly the kind of manager Scottish football doesn’t need. 

He will improve them.

Took the job at Huddersfield same time last season and saved them from relegation. Probably a good appointment for 3-4 months given the circumstances. I assume he'll have a target of 4th which is unlikely but he'll probably get top six. Don't like the guy though.

Mister Dee

Strange appointment. 

What he doesn’t know about man management isn’t worth knowing. 
What he knows about tactics, you could write on the back of a stamp. 

It will generate some interest south of the border -& that’s no bad thing. 

By The Light..

Holding appt until Lennon hears about RoI job

RoI manager betting

Lee Carsley even money FAV

Lennon 2/1 2nd fav

Gus Poyet 8/1

One of the good guys and a great character in football imo.

Glad we just played the sheep tbh as he will surely get a bounce from them.

Drylaw Hearts

Just seen his press conference on SSN…..

Slevered a load of nonsense and tried to joke his way through.

Scottish football is actually before English 5th tier women's county football on BBC Sport today so raising our profile.

Good to see him up here. Think his style will suit the blood and thunder of Scottish football.  Bottom six. 😄

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Just seen his press conference on SSN…..

Slevered a load of nonsense and tried to joke his way through.

Yep, purely a box ticking exercise coming up here from him. 

His experience may help them get top 6 (above the vermin hopefully) but this is such a regressive appointment. Everything is about him, he will give them no help on a new manager next season, and he is an absolute welt of a man. If we were in a similar situ and we went down this road I would be very unhappy.

ToadKiller Dog

Robson already had them playing hoofball ,Warnock is hoofball in extreme .

Where aberdeen finish depends on Miovski continued scoring than anything warnock will bring  .

What is there maybe 4 sides who don't play park the bus football .

Benny Klack

I’d be embarrassed if I was a Dons fan right now.

For all Cormack and Burrows bluster, they don’t really know what they are doing. They will not be in danger of relegation- they may get top six but the over riding issue here is that they haven’t a clue what their long term playing strategy is. Aberdeen have a few decent young players - what is this old dinosaur going to coach them.

A Colin W manager for a Colin W fan base.

As said before, I think this is a poor appointment for the reputation of Scottish football. 

Edited by Benny Klack

JimmyCant
26 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

I’d be embarrassed if I was a Dons fan right now.

For all Cormack and Burrows bluster, they don’t really know what they are doing. They will not be in danger of relegation- they may get top six but the over riding issue here is that they haven’t a clue what their long term playing strategy is. Aberdeen have a few decent young players - what is this old dinosaur going to coach them.

A Colin W manager for a Colin W fan base.

As said before, I think this is a poor appointment for the reputation of Scottish football. 

Didn’t they just commission an EXTERNAL audit and report covering all areas of the football department.

If that doesn’t tell you they haven’t got a clue what they’re doing, nothing will.

Aberdeen should be competing with us and Hibs. The reason they aren’t is their recruitment of players and managers is worse than ours has been. Thankfully we are in a better place now, more through luck than judgement some would say

Just look at the current decent teams Killie Dundee St Mirren. One thing in common. Solid managerial appointments. Nothing spectacular. nothing experimental, just guys who knows what they are doing and command a bit of respect. Now look at Hibs and Aberdeen

Edited by JimmyCant

Geddyalexneil

In reply to JimmyCant I think they are competing with Hibs😂. Long may that continue.

colinmorewasgash

Wouldnt underestimate Colin he is good at what he does and he gets results with crap teams. Hes kept worse teams than sheep up in championship he wins games and loves beating the big boys. Not saying they ll get 3rd or 4th but would expect them to move up table.

BelgeJambo

Just gave  us a mention

We wanted him, but gave the job to a Latvian 😁😁

Shooter McGavin

Reckon he’ll definitely get a big bounce out of them for the rest of the season, hard to tell how he’ll get on beyond that though.

3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Reckon he’ll definitely get a big bounce out of them for the rest of the season, hard to tell how he’ll get on beyond that though.

He's only there for the rest of this season. 

They are looking for someone else for next season onwards. 

Bull's-eye

Cracking manager and i expect he'll get them flying up the league tbh.

His take on Scottish referees will be interesting.

Shooter McGavin
2 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Ah, you’re correct!

Hopefully he gets stuck in to the refs and serves touchline ban after touchline ban 😂

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, WDJ87 said:

He will improve them.

Anyone could.

He will do the progression of the game here absolutely no good whatsoever, and they will be looking for someone else come the summer.

May one-six
14 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Yeah, apparently they are looking to see how similarly sized clubs who do well in Europe manage their affairs. It might be an idea for them to figure out how to succeed in Scotland first. 

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Anyone could.

Nick Montgomery?

section s heart
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Another thing I noticed in his favour. After Tuesday he doesn’t have the OF or Hearts to play against until the split

Saw that too, but can't see them matching last year's 7 match winning run (they have Dundee, St Mirren and Killie away amongst others), and we look much less likely to implode. Like to think our 20 point cushion (albeit 2 games more played) will see us in decent shape at the split. If we win in Perth, gap could be 23. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, May one-six said:

Yeah, apparently they are looking to see how similarly sized clubs who do well in Europe manage their affairs. It might be an idea for them to figure out how to succeed in Scotland first. 

Need a hotel 😜