*** official Dundee V Heart Of Midlothian ***

Selkirkhmfc1874

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

But nobody said that he did

Did you not say Kent plays worse with Halkett?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• King prawn

• feej

• Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cruickie's Moustache
11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You don’t think we should play our strongest team then?

There’s a lot of hypocrisy on here with this “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude.  On the one hand it seems to fine to apply it to the Clark / Gordon situation at Hearts but virtually nobody on here agreed with that same reasoning for leaving Gordon out at the Euros and continuing with Marshall.  And it’s a similar situation with Steve Clarke continuing to favour Dykes and Adams over Shankland, the only player we have who is a prolific goalscorer.  

And if Gordon isn’t going to get a chance to prove he is no.1 again then we might as well release him to some team who will play him because it’s no good for him at his age sitting on the bench every week as back up to a guy that isn’t anywhere near the same class as him.  That’s not having a go at Zander, that’s just how it is.  Gordon is arguably the best keeper Scotland has ever had. 

Given the length of time he has been out we have no real idea if Gordon is our strongest goalkeeper.

We have to leave that to the manager and coaching staff to base there decisions on how things are going at training, fitness, team stability etc.

Currently they obviously do not believe the time is right for Gordon to be given the No 1 jersey. I am sure that time may come (could be this Saturday, could be next season) but it won't be due to fan pressure.

The Marshall/Gordon situation was totally different as both were playing so people were able to comment based on how they had been performing from week to week. Other than the recent outing v Spartans we have no idea how Gordon is going to perform in the long term.

As for Shankland he has to be in Clarke's squad as he is our only natural goal scorer. However I don't think Clarke sees him being a starter as he doesn't fit in with the system he is playing. Shankland doesn't have the speed of Adams or the bulk of Dykes that Clarke is looking forward to upset the opposition defense. He should go to Germany but only see him as being brought on as a sub as I can't see Clarke changing his system to accommodate Shankland.

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Given the length of time he has been out we have no real idea if Gordon is our strongest goalkeeper.

We have to leave that to the manager and coaching staff to base there decisions on how things are going at training, fitness, team stability etc.

Currently they obviously do not believe the time is right for Gordon to be given the No 1 jersey. I am sure that time may come (could be this Saturday, could be next season) but it won't be due to fan pressure.

The Marshall/Gordon situation was totally different as both were playing so people were able to comment based on how they had been performing from week to week. Other than the recent outing v Spartans we have no idea how Gordon is going to perform in the long term.

As for Shankland he has to be in Clarke's squad as he is our only natural goal scorer. However I don't think Clarke sees him being a starter as he doesn't fit in with the system he is playing. Shankland doesn't have the speed of Adams or the bulk of Dykes that Clarke is looking forward to upset the opposition defense. He should go to Germany but only see him as being brought on as a sub as I can't see Clarke changing his system to accommodate Shankland.

Well we won’t find out unless he gets played!  But we do know that Clark doesn’t have the same ability as Gordon.  There’s no substitute for playing competitive matches, training can only tell you so much but if they didn’t think Gordon wasn’t ready he wouldn’t be on the bench. 

Re Marshall / Gordon I was referring to playing for Scotland and Clarke sticking by Marshall because he hadn’t done anything wrong and obviously saved that penalty.  But since you bring up them both playing with their clubs then they actually weren’t both playing as Marshall got dropped by his club so was even more reason for Clarke to go with his best keeper, Gordon, at the Euros.  Probably didn’t help Gordon that he was playing with us in the Championship though. 

Your summary of the Shankland situation with Scotland is spot on but doesn’t mean Clarke wouldn’t be negligent in not looking at Shankland to see if he can improve the team by giving him starts in warm up games (he should have already done this with the last Scotland games being dead rubbers and Shanks being bang in form).  In club management terms it’s like signing a 30 goal a season striker and not playing him when your existing strikers couldn’t hit a barn door.  Yes, he might not be a fit as a starter but Clarke has to find that out rather than just guessing. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Did you not say Kent plays worse with Halkett?

I did, but didnt say Halkett was shite

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I did, but didnt say Halkett was shite

Never said you did.

But Kent playing worse or better is not on Halkett. 

Very strange way to phrase a comment.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Never said you did.

But Kent playing worse or better is not on Halkett. 

Very strange way to phrase a comment.

You just love being a cock eh :lol: nobody said it was on Halkett, but he has played better now next to Kingsley as well as Rowles

None stranger than you, jog on lad

Beck is an excellent signing for Dundee, though Costelloe (from their "friends 'n partners" Burnley) may be less happy! Of course, as Beck is great going forward they may push Beck further forward.

With McCowan suspended tonight against Aberdeen he may be a straight replacement. He did keep fit with a couple of appearances for Liverpool.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Referee is Graham Grainger who i have never heard of VAR Grant Irvine who is hopeless, Iain Snedden for St Johnstone, VAR Clancy who seems to need a telly to get it right

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

You just love being a cock eh :lol: nobody said it was on Halkett, but he has played better now next to Kingsley as well as Rowles

None stranger than you, jog on lad

"Jog on lad"

:rofl:

But aye, I love being a cock...

Why mention Halkett,  just speak like a person and Say Kent is better in the middle of a 3 or on the right of a 2?

Kent plays worse with Halkett , but nobody said it was on Halkett, why mention Halkett then?

Very strange, but we cleared up what you actually meant, we taken a bus route- but we got there.

Anyway, I'm away for a jog.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

feedthefox

We all love Craig Gordon, he's a magnificent keeper and a club legend but there's no way Clarke should be getting dropped at the moment. Hell I'd imagine Craig himself would go along with this, the guy has taken his opportunity and been instrumental in our current run of form. I've no doubt when Craig get his chance he will once again demonstrate just how magnificent he is and if he's not then we have a very good keeper ready to step up again. We're in a great position with our keepers.

Pasquale for King

Beck is good going forward but not great defensively and can be quite rash.
I think the sheep showed, as we did last week, that playing a back 3 against Dundee because they play 2 strikers who run the channels isn’t a great idea. 

Disser Pointon

I thought scumdee were quite slick last night, as they were first half at Tynie, we'll need to start quicker than we have been on Saturday.

Ex member of the SaS

Dundee were quick at getting the ball forward and the two big lads did well in attack. We should get this but it's not given. PLEASE, PLEASE no slow messing around, get the ball moving quickly and lets see some movement at throw in's.

Horatio Caine
8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Dundee were quick at getting the ball forward and the two big lads did well in attack. We should get this but it's not given. PLEASE, PLEASE no slow messing around, get the ball moving quickly and lets see some movement at throw in's.

Yup.  Dundee are a very good side.  They were decent enough last night but on Saturday they'll have McCowan back so more attacking potency.  Him plus the boy Mellon - another loanee - are excellent.

22 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Yup.  Dundee are a very good side.  They were decent enough last night but on Saturday they'll have McCowan back so more attacking potency.  Him plus the boy Mellon - another loanee - are excellent.

Dundee really aren't a "very good side". They're very average. They just chucked a 2 goal lead against us then drew with a terrible Aberdeen team last night. 16 points behind us and sitting in 6th place doesn't scream very good I wouldn't say. Granted they have 2 or 3 decent players but that's as far as I'd go.

Edited by Chimp

Jambof3tornado

Still no tickets in today's post...feck is going on??

And airdrie tickets collection only. Its 2024 hearts get a grip ffs!!

ducatiboy

Stating the obvious I know, but Hearts need to shake this slow start habit asap, these next two games will be tough away from home, we need stop conceding cheap goals…

HopeDiouf
4 hours ago, Chimp said:

Dundee really aren't a "very good side". They're very average. They just chucked a 2 goal lead against us then drew with a terrible Aberdeen team last night. 16 points behind us and sitting in 6th place doesn't scream very good I wouldn't say. Granted they have 2 or 3 decent players but that's as far as I'd go.

They are more than capable of beating us if we aren't at it, as they've already proven this season.

14 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

They are more than capable of beating us if we aren't at it, as they've already proven this season.

Any team is capable of beating us if we aren't at it. My point was that they are not a very good side as the poster I replied to was suggesting.

Edited by Chimp

Jambof3tornado

Last trip up there we were bloody terrible.

Fingers crossed we're on our game this time!!

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Last trip up there we were bloody terrible.

Fingers crossed we're on our game this time!!

We were very poor indeed. 

Just realised Dundee are the only domestic side Shankland has failed to score against in his Hearts career so far (excluding friendlies).  Hopefully finishes that game with a 100% record!

He's also now 39th top scorer in Hearts history... 1 goal behind Rudi, with Robbo, Colquhoun, Mackay, Cameron and Walker the only other players since the 80s to have scored more Hearts goals than him.

I think its going to be a really tough game. With Dundee capitulating late on against us, I think Doherty will have them fired up for revenge. 

Its the awful thing about the way the league is structured, playing teams 3/4 times plus another 2 times in the cups potentially gives managers too many bites of the apple at getting one over on you. 

I think going back to the 352 makes sense for this one.

Zander

Kent Halks Kingsley

Beni Hoff

Dexter                    Cochrane

Grant

Shankland Forrest

We seem to concede less in a back 3, although Halks hasn't been too sharp since he came back. Maybe a risk there? I don't like the 4 at the back. 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Chimp said:

Any team is capable of beating us if we aren't at it. My point was that they are not a very good side as the poster I replied to was suggesting.

Eh, what's "very good?" This is easily the best Dundee side in many years.

We're better than they are but I'd still say they're pretty good, particularly given where they've been in the recent past.

Regardless, hope we utterly crush them. If we somehow manage to win these next three, which will likely all be stodgy affairs, third is as good as done and dusted. Big "if," though, given what happened last February.

Gundermann
9 hours ago, Chimp said:

They're doing well for a side just promoted and are obviously capable of beating us if we don't get our act together from the KO.

Where would they be without all their loans though? Loandee more like.

15 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Eh, what's "very good?" This is easily the best Dundee side in many years.

We're better than they are but I'd still say they're pretty good, particularly given where they've been in the recent past.

Regardless, hope we utterly crush them. If we somehow manage to win these next three, which will likely all be stodgy affairs, third is as good as done and dusted. Big "if," though, given what happened last February.

It's certainly not sitting 16 points behind 3rd place mate. I agree it's their best side in many years but that doesn't automatically make them very good does it?

14 hours ago, Gundermann said:

They're doing well for a side just promoted and are obviously capable of beating us if we don't get our act together from the KO.

Definitely agree they are doing well for a newly promoted side but I won't be exaggerating how good they are.

Getting Beck will be a big bonus for them

Selkirkhmfc1874
14 hours ago, Gundermann said:

We play like we can we'll win because we've got better players but football doesn't always work like that unfortunately and they could have a very good day and we could have an off day but I'm confident we'll win the game

Wonder if Fraser were start. 

Tricky one trying to predict if it will be 3 or 4 at the back but we change it during games anyway so maybe not too important. I reckon we will line up something like this-

Clark

Lembikisa

Kent

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni 

Nieuwenhof

Grant

Oda

Shankland

Forrest

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wonder if Fraser were start. 

Tricky one trying to predict if it will be 3 or 4 at the back but we change it during games anyway so maybe not too important. I reckon we will line up something like this-

Clark

Lembikisa

Kent

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni 

Nieuwenhof

Grant

Oda

Shankland

Forrest

That's the problem, it is important. Getting it wrong is why half the time we start poorly and end up having to chase the game. 

Need to get it right from the start.

Gundermann
34 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We play like we can we'll win because we've got better players but football doesn't always work like that unfortunately and they could have a very good day and we could have an off day but I'm confident we'll win the game

Yes. We're doing well at the moment despite often shooting ourselves in the foot in games. I'm just waiting for us to play to our potential for an entire match and give someone a real hosing.

Remnants of Standards

Post has been and still no ticket. What's the back up plan here by the club if there is a problem with Royal Mail or the club sending tckts out last minute?

Dundee are a good side . They will finish above A Eden and Hibs and will battle it out with Kilmarnock to try and close the gap on us in third . Win this on Saturday and Kilmarnock fail to win and we are really close to home and hosed because the win / loss swing between us and those two will be so big just for them to pull level and be a part of the race . We can not take them lightly and I really hope the players realise this 

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Dundee are a good side . They will finish above A Eden and Hibs and will battle it out with Kilmarnock to try and close the gap on us in third . Win this on Saturday and Kilmarnock fail to win and we are really close to home and hosed because the win / loss swing between us and those two will be so big just for them to pull level and be a part of the race . We can not take them lightly and I really hope the players realise this 

I think having played them so recently there will be a huge voice in the back of the players heads telling them they need to be quicker out the blocks, so I hope you're right !!

On 28/01/2024 at 15:28, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Don't see Gordon starting after clean sheet yesterday 

Can't see Gordon playing again until Airdrie in cup 

8 minutes ago, meister said:

I think having played them so recently there will be a huge voice in the back of the players heads telling them they need to be quicker out the blocks, so I hope you're right !!

I also think they will attack us at their home ground . Should leave us space to utilise . We have a pretty decent away record 

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Honestly can't see how we could after our last 2 games against them. Would be gobsmacked if the players thought it was gonna be a walk in the park especially after the scare a few weeks go. Need to be on it from the first minute this time instead of waiting til the second half.

Just now, Chimp said:

Honestly can't see how we could after our last 2 games against them. Would be gobsmacked if the players thought it was gonna be a walk in the park especially after the scare a few weeks go. Need to be on it from the first minute this time instead of waiting til the second half.

I agree but the slow starts worry me a bit . Can not keep doing that and getting away with it . Hopefully with it being an away fixture the players resolve is steelier and they start stronger and faster

Just now, Sooks said:

I agree but the slow starts worry me a bit . Can not keep doing that and getting away with it . Hopefully with it being an away fixture the players resolve is steelier and they start stronger and faster

Yeah every week you think it will change but it just doesn't seem to. Always like we need a rocket up our a*** to get going. Or a formation change at HT. Naisy needs to get it right on Saturday because like you say this could really be the game that properly pulls us away from the rest of the pack.

________________Clark

Lembikisa__Kent__Kingsley__Cochrane

____Nieuwenhoff__Baningime

______Vargas__Grant__Forrest

____________Shankland

Vargas for Oda the only change I’d make from last week

pettigrewsstylist

Dundee can score goals. Would be wary of splitting that Kingsley/Kent combo. They were immense against sheep.

All depends on formation i guess. Be surprised if Fraser starts.

pettigrewsstylist
7 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

________________Clark

Lembikisa__Kent__Kingsley__Cochrane

____Nieuwenhoff__Baningime

______Vargas__Grant__Forrest

____________Shankland

Vargas for Oda the only change I’d make from last week

I think this may well be starting 11

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Is this game allowed on PPV, or is there a ban on 3pm kickoffs on Saturday?

Not allowed. 

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Totally agree with this, they’ve gotten their act together big time and look a handy outfit now, if we stop Beck going up the left wing, and Cameron in the middle of the park, we probably win, but we rarely turn in a decent performance up there. 

10 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Totally agree with this, they’ve gotten their act together big time and look a handy outfit now, if we stop Beck going up the left wing, and Cameron in the middle of the park, we probably win, but we rarely turn in a decent performance up there. 

Yip . Docherty is no mug either . He sets them up to play to their strengths and they seem to play for him which is important too . Really is such a huge weekend . If Kilmarnock and Dundee get beaten then I do not see anyone catching us and we can ensure we play our stongest teams in the cup as well

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

Yip . Docherty is no mug either . He sets them up to play to their strengths and they seem to play for him which is important too . Really is such a huge weekend . If Kilmarnock and Dundee get beaten then I do not see anyone catching us and we can ensure we play our stongest teams in the cup as well

we need to play our strongest team regardless 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Hopefully we repeat the second half performance of a couple of weeks ago and not the first half.

And with that, this gets bumped back up the board as a forthcoming match thread should be.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

7/9 next 3 games is fine, we should be good enough to achieve it and be in a cup quarter final, before Hibs 100 point swing kicks in end February