*** official Dundee V Heart Of Midlothian ***

Selkirkhmfc1874

Dallas Green

We need to start better, that's for sure. I really would like Gordon back in. Whilst Clarke might not have made a clanger. I think both possibly, but defo the second Dundee goal was able to be saved and I think Craig would have. The first Dundee goal and Aberdeen's disallowed goal, Clarke dived the exact same way. He just kind of pops up a wee bit and falls to the side, it doesn't fill me with confidence. CG has clips upon clips of saving at full stretch they type of shots. We should play our best players, CG is our best keeper.

I'd like a full 90 mins performance this time!

2-0 Hearts - Shankland & Vargas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• King prawn

• feej

• Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Once we secure third place, which at the rate we're going might only be four or five league games away, will be the time to start rotating goalies, until then Zander is number one. Even then rotation would only be done to allow CG a chance to show his form for the Euro's third goalie (if there is one). 

Zander

Kent Halks Kingsley

Dexter Beni Hoff Cochrane 

Shankland

Vargas Forrest

Why start with a formation that failed miserably against them last Wednesday? I will be shocked if he does. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Dallas Green said:

We need to start better, that's for sure. I really would like Gordon back in. Whilst Clarke might not have made a clanger. I think both possibly, but defo the second Dundee goal was able to be saved and I think Craig would have. The first Dundee goal and Aberdeen's disallowed goal, Clarke dived the exact same way. He just kind of pops up a wee bit and falls to the side, it doesn't fill me with confidence. CG has clips upon clips of saving at full stretch they type of shots. We should play our best players, CG is our best keeper.

Spot on

dannymack
18 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

got to be honest our luck will run out at some point and this game has banana skin written all over it

would take a point 

Which would result in all the idiots within our support to boo the team off at full time.

On a personal note I don't see the luck running out, Naisy, Gogs and Frankie will have learned a few lessons on that 1st half the other week, as will the Dundee lot but we'll come our stronger. 

Dens Park has never been a happy hunting ground for Hearts, well ever since my 1st visit there back in 1983 so I'll take any kind of performance for as long as we do not concede the full 3 points. 

upgotheheads
36 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why start with a formation that failed miserably against them last Wednesday? I will be shocked if he does. 

We won 3-2.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

We won 3-2.

We were getting beat 2 nothing with that formation and he had to change to a back 4, madness to start with the formation that failed miserably in the first half last Tuesday. 

Wee Mikey
19 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

We won 3-2.

Phew! Some folks seem to have forgotten the most important stat. 🤭

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We were getting beat 2 nothing with that formation and he had to change to a back 4, madness to start with the formation that failed miserably in the first half last Tuesday. 

Live & learn?

Remember, we kinda gifted them ... but turned it around.

They'll likely be a tired team and our players will absolutely know how to combat their tactics.

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Agree. Gordon can make saves Clark can't. His positioning at times is horrendous.

weegie jambo

Hate to admit it but Dundee are a not bad team and also a bit of a bogey team for us. I think we need Halkett back in a 5 but concerned that he had a mare in the 3-2 game. Hopefully professional pride will make him put in a better performance. Think we should be a little cagey and go with Hoff, Beni and Jorge in midfield with Shanks and either Oda or Vargas up front. Time to switch to a four and stretch them with Forrest in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Really unfair on Clarke - no way was he at fault with either Dundee goals or Aberdeen’s disallowed goal.

Wee Mikey
48 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Agree. Gordon can make saves Clark can't. His positioning at times is horrendous.

Clark cannae make saves? 

Seriously?

I honestly cannae be arsed looking up Clark saves, but you are surely being myopic.

His double save at Easter Road, for but one example?

How many clean sheets this season, eh?

Cannae find the derby match with his double save ... help me out fellow Jambos ...

But just you sit back amd enjoy this. 👇

Dallas Green
5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Really unfair on Clarke - no way was he at fault with either Dundee goals or Aberdeen’s disallowed goal.

Gordon would have saved at least the second and I'd wager both the first Dundee goal and Aberdeen's disallowed goal. I also don't really care if it is unfair on Clarke. Gordon is better. We should play our best players.

Also, Clarke doesn't make saves Gordon wouldn't. Gordon, however, would save many a goal Clarke has lost. Gordon also commands the box better than Clarke and also isn't shit scared to run out (as shown v The Spartans) unlike Clarke who put Kent under unneeded pressure when he could have easily collected the ball against Aberdeen.

If you are happy with us playing our second best player in an incredibly important position, then crack on.

Edited by Dallas Green

5 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Gordon would have saved at least the second and I'd wager both the first Dundee goal and Aberdeen's disallowed goal. I also don't really care if it is unfair on Clarke. Gordon is better. We should play our best players.

Also, Clarke doesn't make saves Gordon wouldn't. Gordon, however, would save many a goal Clarke has lost. Gordon also commands the box better than Clarke and also isn't shit scared to run out (as shown v The Spartans) unlike Clarke who put Kent under unneeded pressure when he could have easily collected the ball against Aberdeen.

If you are happy with us playing our second best player in an incredibly important position, then crack on.

Well that’s your opinion - you have absolutely no way of knowing that Gordon would have saved those goals!

Clarke’s save against Aberdeen just before their disallowed goal was fantastic! 

Wee Mikey
36 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Gordon is a legend.

But ... see that corner v Spartans just before their goal? He was flapping.

Oh, and by the way, who was Celtic's 'keeper when we trounced the so-called 'invincibles' 4-0?

Agent Gordon ...

I wear maroon tinted specs and am a bit of a happy-clapper ... surely nae need to stick the boot into our current #1 who has done really well though, eh? How many clean sheets?

27 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Well that’s your opinion - you have absolutely no way of knowing that Gordon would have saved those goals!

Clarke’s save against Aberdeen just before their disallowed goal was fantastic! 

Quite. 👍

Screenshot_20240129_150927_Google.jpg

Bongo 1874
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

You've finally properly chucked it, dude!!!

I'd be going with the team that started against Aberdeen but tweaking the midfield to get them higher up the pitch when we have the ball.  Beni needs to play 10 yards higher up the pitch in possession.

Only thing I'd maybe say is the lad Bakayoko is a unit, so would we maybe want Shanks against him?!  That said, Kingsley dealt with Miovski just fine.  Got away from him once and it was only cos Kingsley had to cover Barron when Beni was fouled.

Trust me anyone will tell you I don't really like a back 3,that said i believe Dundee will come out wanting revenge.

And i think a back 3 will frustrate them similar to like it does Rangers &Celtic.

They will press high and try to catch us out playing from the back.

If it was me I would play a 4231/433 most of the time mate.

But I'm not selfish and I put the Side Before Self Every Time,and I genuinely believe a back 3 will get the job done.

I don't like using the word drop,call it Shankland getting a well earned Rest,and using Vargas attributes for this game.

U won't believe this,but do you know people suggested that the only reason,we won against Dundee at home the other night was because of the weather,and Not Naismith changing to a back four 😅🤣.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Dallas Green
33 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

How many clean sheets?

Is that solely down to a GK? No.

Our clean sheets are down to our whole defensive unit.

Clarke isn't a bad keeper, he is infact a good goalkeeper, Gordon is better though. We should play our best players.

13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Trust me anyone will tell you I don't really like a back 3,that said i believe Dundee will come out wanting revenge.

And i think a back 3 will frustrate them similar to like it does Rangers &Celtic.

They will press high and try to catch us out playing from the back.

If it was me I would play a 4231/433 most of the time mate.

But I'm not selfish and I put the Side Before Self Every Time,and I genuinely believe a back 3 will get the job done.

I don't like using the word drop,call it Shankland getting a well earned Rest,and using Vargas attributes for this game.

U won't believe this,but do you know people suggested that the only reason,we won against Dundee at home the other night was because of the weather,and Not Naismith changing to a back four 😅🤣.

Haha, yeah I'm not sure Newy even connected with the ball for the first, was just a gust of wind!

And I see what you're saying about back 3, not against it.  But I do think a bit more like we've built some confidence, lets puff chests out an impose ourselves.  Get guys high up the pitch, trust our CHs and Beni to keep them at bay and feed the rest to batter them.  Simplistic I know!

35 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Is that solely down to a GK? No.

Our clean sheets are down to our whole defensive unit.

Clarke isn't a bad keeper, he is infact a good goalkeeper, Gordon is better though. We should play our best players.

Yes it is down to the defensive unit - Clarke is an integral part of that unit.

By The Light..

Any chance of more tickets being released?

Obviously only going cos we're on a roll

David McCaig
Just now, By The Light.. said:

Any chance of more tickets being released?

Obviously only going cos we're on a roll

In theory we could get an allocation in the away end of their main stand.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Kent seems to play better without Halkett

Because generally he's in the middle of a 3 or 4 without him. It isn't a case of it being without Halkett, it's when he's played in his best position.

Dallas Green
14 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Yes it is down to the defensive unit - Clarke is an integral part of that unit.

Gordon would make it even better.

Watt-Zeefuik

1-0. This Dundee team doesn't score many goals and they'll be tired but I think they'll sit in.

We should play a back 4 until Rowles and Atkinson come back.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Kent seems to play better without Halkett

Kent is better in the middle of a back 3 or the right of a back 4.

Nothing to do with Halkett ffs.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

On 28/01/2024 at 16:46, highlandjambo3 said:

We regularly rotate players, why not keepers (which we’ve done in the last 2 weeks) 🤷‍♂️

Can't see Gordon playing before Airdrie in cup (unless Clark gets injured)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Kent is better in the middle of a back 3 or the right of a back 4.

Nothing to do with Halkett ffs.

Of course it is Kent gets shifted to help Halketts reintegration, but no surprise you didn't notice 

Robbo-Jambo
8 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Gordon should be back in.

Your right, Clarke doesn't fully extend his body when diving the way CG does.

Play your best players and Gordon is the better player.

Disser Pointon

I think this will be one of our toughest away fixtures this year, Dundee are no mugs. Draw wouldn't be a complete disaster.

Edited by Disser Pointon

17 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Clark cannae make saves? 

Seriously?

I honestly cannae be arsed looking up Clark saves, but you are surely being myopic.

His double save at Easter Road, for but one example?

How many clean sheets this season, eh?

Cannae find the derby match with his double save ... help me out fellow Jambos ...

But just you sit back amd enjoy this. 👇

You fancy reading what I said properly before jumping in feet first mate?

I said Gordon can make saves Clark can't. I didn't say Clark can't make saves. Hope this clears things up before you go off one one again 🤡

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Of course it is Kent gets shifted to help Halketts reintegration, but no surprise you didn't notice 

Ofc he does, but it's not Halkett that makes him worse.

kingantti1874

Gordon is better than Zander. We all like Zander but Craig is better.  Not by a little bit.  We are talking about one of the best Scottish keepers of all time.  If not the best of all time.  

does Zander deserve to be dropped no he doesn’t! But we have to pick our best players.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
31 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ofc he does, but it's not Halkett that makes him worse.

But nobody said that he did

20 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Gordon is better than Zander. We all like Zander but Craig is better.  Not by a little bit.  We are talking about one of the best Scottish keepers of all time.  If not the best of all time.  

does Zander deserve to be dropped no he doesn’t! But we have to pick our best players.  

Correct. Whether Clark feels hard done by or not it doesn't matter. For the good saves he makes his positioning can be awful at times and he still has quite a few errors in him. Gordon is far more safe and assured and is capable of making saves that so many other keepers can't. His reach is unbelievable. Worries me that we might not see Gordon play again this season and miss out on the chance of being no1 at the Euros.

This should be a really tasty game. Dundee are quite an improved side and we’ll need to be on our metal right from the kick off.  Us by the odd goal, but a draw would not be a bad result.

3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

This should be a really tasty game. Dundee are quite an improved side and we’ll need to be on our metal right from the kick off.  Us by the odd goal, but a draw would not be a bad result.

You'd really like to think we'll have learnt our lesson the last 2 games against them and what's required.

HopeDiouf
19 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Phew! Some folks seem to have forgotten the most important stat. 🤭

Live & learn?

Remember, we kinda gifted them ... but turned it around.

They'll likely be a tired team and our players will absolutely know how to combat their tactics.

Live and learn?  By making the same mistake we made last week?  🙃

I'll be very surprised if we don't start 4-2-3-1 (like we did in 2nd half and won 3-0) as opposed to 3-5-2 (which we played first half and lost 0-2).

scooba1874
On 28/01/2024 at 19:34, Bongo 1874 said:

Go with pace upfront and more direct,Dundee will Press and try to catch us playing out from the back,when need someone who will go in behind and use his pace.

If it doesn't work, he's a great option to have on the Bench.

Thank **** you’re no the manager 😂

25 minutes ago, Chimp said:

You'd really like to think we'll have learnt our lesson the last 2 games against them and what's required.

I hope so. We are a better side than them and class should tell.

PortyBeach
On 28/01/2024 at 15:15, Mackem Midlothian said:

You've travelled far, by bus and car, and then again, you're going by railway...

😂😂😂

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Live and learn?  By making the same mistake we made last week?  🙃

I'll be very surprised if we don't start 4-2-3-1 (like we did in 2nd half and won 3-0) as opposed to 3-5-2 (which we played first half and lost 0-2).

Exactly 

RustyRightPeg
33 minutes ago, scooba1874 said:

Thank **** you’re no the manager 😂

And the DOF. Some of his transfer shouts

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Chimp said:

You fancy reading what I said properly before jumping in feet first mate?

I said Gordon can make saves Clark can't. I didn't say Clark can't make saves. Hope this clears things up before you go off one one again 🤡

Yes that’s fair.  Gordon on his game can make saves very few keepers can make.  Clark isn’t one of those very few keepers.  The question is can Gordon still do that at 41, after a year out?  Well, we’re not going to find out if he keeps sitting in the bench.  Same as we wouldn’t find out if Shankland can get back to scoring nearly 30 goals if he was out for a year then came back to sit on the bench. 

This carrying on playing Clark because he has done ok is basically the same as Steve Clarke playing Marshall at the Euros, instead of Gordon (which Clarke got absolutely slated for on here). 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

29 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yes that’s fair.  Gordon on his game can make saves very few keepers can make.  Clark isn’t one of those very few keepers.  The question is can Gordon still do that at 41, after a year out?  Well, we’re not going to find out if he keeps sitting in the bench.  Same as we wouldn’t find out if Shankland can get back to scoring nearly 30 goals if he was out for a year then came back to sit on the bench. 

This carrying on playing Clark because he has done ok is basically the same as Steve Clarke playing Marshall at the Euros, instead of Gordon (which Clarke got absolutely slated for on here). 

Yep. Clark has done ok, no more than that. Never full trust him and gives me the fear at times. Never get that with Gordon.

Cruickie's Moustache

While we all hope Gordon will perform as before if he gets a regular game, what happens if he sells the jerseys for a couple of games? 

Bring back a deflated Clark, who wonders what he has done wrong?

Could see an argument if we were struggling but as we are doing just fine, a change at this stage could be a recipe for disaster.

Like everyone I'd love to see Gordon back between the sticks but I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.

37 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yep. Clark has done ok, no more than that. Never full trust him and gives me the fear at times. Never get that with Gordon.

It’s a really unique and interesting debate to be fair. There really isn’t a wrong answer. It looks almost 50/50 split on here.

I’ve made no secret I’m in the Gordon in camp. Clark has done well recently but there will be games that Clark will concede goals and we will drop points. Every goal Zander concedes will be

scrutinised and discussed if Gordon would’ve saved it. Like Dundee last week. If we didn’t get the winner and dropped 2 points, a lot of people will say it wouldn’t have happened with Gordon in goals. 

Like it or not Zander isn’t getting judged against what you’d expect a normal keeper to do. He’s getting judged against one of the best there’s ever been. So if he drops below the exceptional he should make way. Don’t wait for the big clangers or dropped points. 

If we go with Clark I still think we’ll skoosh 3rd. But play your best players. End of. 

karipidis

I think Gordon will play the Airdrie game, and all the cup games. Naismith is probably hoping for one big performance in the cup from him where he is undroppable. 

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

While we all hope Gordon will perform as before if he gets a regular game, what happens if he sells the jerseys for a couple of games? 

Bring back a deflated Clark, who wonders what he has done wrong?

Could see an argument if we were struggling but as we are doing just fine, a change at this stage could be a recipe for disaster.

Like everyone I'd love to see Gordon back between the sticks but I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.

You don’t think we should play our strongest team then?

There’s a lot of hypocrisy on here with this “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude.  On the one hand it seems to fine to apply it to the Clark / Gordon situation at Hearts but virtually nobody on here agreed with that same reasoning for leaving Gordon out at the Euros and continuing with Marshall.  And it’s a similar situation with Steve Clarke continuing to favour Dykes and Adams over Shankland, the only player we have who is a prolific goalscorer.  

And if Gordon isn’t going to get a chance to prove he is no.1 again then we might as well release him to some team who will play him because it’s no good for him at his age sitting on the bench every week as back up to a guy that isn’t anywhere near the same class as him.  That’s not having a go at Zander, that’s just how it is.  Gordon is arguably the best keeper Scotland has ever had. 

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, karipidis said:

I think Gordon will play the Airdrie game, and all the cup games. Naismith is probably hoping for one big performance in the cup from him where he is undroppable. 

I think you’re right, Airdrie will be Gordon’s next game.  But if we get through the next cup game could be Rangers or Celtic and that’s maybe Gordon’s season over, just 3 games (although I suspect Gordon will get league games if 3rd place is in the bag).

But Naismith has to do what is best for Hearts (for me that is to pick your best players).  He doesn’t have a duty to play them both so they might both make the Scotland squad. 

As I said, arguably Gordon is Scotland’s best ever keeper but it appears that he is maybe also the unluckiest and it is very unlikely he will appear in a major finals for Scotland even if he does make the squad as I would put my house on Clarke going with Gunn as no.1, barring injury.  Even loss of club form won’t matter as we saw with Marshall prior to the last Euros.