• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

Tynecastlesmychurch
6 hours ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

So what have the club done to try and close the gap? Buy players like Tagawa, Vargas and Grant? Absolute duds who will take us back the way not forward. 

Why is he going to want to stay with us? We’re doing nothing for him. He is carrying the full squad and we are currently sitting mid table. If we were performing week in/week out then potentially but we are absolutely shite. 

I’m not sure you’ve actually read what I posted buddy. Was just trying to make the point that Shankland would probably want to know the club will be ambitious in the transfer market. 

Why the hell would he want to sign a new contract with us??he'd get a game for plenty better and bigger teams than us I just hope it was down South rather than up here - it wouldn't surprise me if Celtic tried to jump in for him a bit like they did with Scott Allan then ruining his career just to stop Huns getting him 

hope he stays but cant see it and wouldn’t blame him if he goes, bigger money and far more chances to score, we hardly create anything for him.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
1 hour ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

I’m not sure you’ve actually read what I posted buddy. Was just trying to make the point that Shankland would probably want to know the club will be ambitious in the transfer market. 

Sorry, my mistake. I went off on a tangent. 

The Treasurer

I can't believe the number of so called Hearts fans on here who are trying their best to get rid of the best striker we have had in 20 years 

6 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

When our CEO says there’s not been a bid or interest in Shankland I assume he means now. As there was definitely interest at the end of the last window. 

He was talking about January 24 window. Don’t mention last window to Helter though because he knows for sure there has been no interest in Shankland since he joined us. 

Edited by soonbe110

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

That’s a fair comment. He’s been great for us but previously had a bit of a chequered career. Didn’t make an impact at Aberdeen with loan spells at Dunfermline St Mirren and Morton. Prolific at Ayr and  Dundee Utd. Spell in Belgium probably soured by playing out of position. I think he would score goals for fun at either of the Bigot brothers mainly as a result of the huge gap between them and the others. If he goes hope it’s down South but I think it would be at championship level .

Yes, has only been prolific at top level with us and only for 16 months. 

2 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

Imagine how many goals he’d score if we actually provided him a decent amount of service. A goal very 2 games this season feeding of scraps is pretty impressive. If he was getting the penalties we got at the start of last season he’d be at 20 already. 

We only get pens if we enter the opposition box.  That’s not a tactic we use much this season. 

46 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

If you mean a "week" then no, I wouldn't pay him that.

Surely a players salary should reflect their valuation and what they bring to the club, Geoff?

Shanks scores 20-30 a season at Hearts?

What's he worth to us? 

• League placing

- Prize money £££

• The player's value as a sellable asset

- improves other players & their valuations

• Progress as a club 

- Interest & Sponsorship increase

• Cost to replace

If we say we're beginning negotiations at £5millon.....Then, what percentage of that valuation and, what he brings to the club reflects his potential earnings here? 

He would get a £1-3million a year at the OF or the Championship. 

£10k a week at Hearts imo would probably fairly reflect his value all things considered. 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

I can't believe the number of so called Hearts fans on here who are trying their best to get rid of the best striker we have had in 20 years 

They have no part in negotiations or decisions so relax.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Surely a players salary should reflect their valuation and what they bring to the club, Geoff?

Shanks scores 20-30 a season at Hearts?

What's he worth to us? 

• League placing

- Prize money £££

• The player's value as a sellable asset

- improves other players & their valuations

• Progress as a club 

- Interest & Sponsorship increase

• Cost to replace

If we say we're beginning negotiations at £5millon.....Then, what percentage of that valuation and, what he brings to the club reflects his potential earnings here? 

He would get a £1-3million a year at the OF or the Championship. 

£10k a week at Hearts imo would probably fairly reflect his value all things considered. 

We are talking about a contract here that would take Shankland up to 31 or 32 in age terms. It reminds me a lot of when Billy Dodds was at his peak at Dundee United. He stood out in a shite team but he wasn't actually that good. United lost him but there was no discernible drop off when they changed their squad after he left. I would not break our wage structure for him.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm not trying to get rid. I'm stating my opinion of what I would do. I didn't want Naismith either but the board made their decision on him.

It's ok to have a difference of opinion.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, H2 said:

why not? what is the max you would pay him?

I'd pay him at the top of our wage structure, which would be commensurate with what Craig Gordon is on. There is no way that that is over £500k per annum.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'd pay him at the top of our wage structure, which would be commensurate with what Craig Gordon is on. There is no way that that is over £500k per annum.

Shanks is worth £10k a week imo if a bid comes in then we get more for him than the £5k he’s on just now it’s a no brainer 

Who knows what it would cost but Hibs allegedly paid £10k a week to Chris Muller. If there is anyone worth busting a wage structure for it is Shankland. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
18 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Shanks is worth £10k a week imo if a bid comes in then we get more for him than the £5k he’s on just now it’s a no brainer 

So you are only offering him that contract on the premise of selling him too? If so, when?

This is his maximum contract value so are you going to commit to over £2m over the next 4 years? I don't want to do that. I look at Stephen Kingsley a couple of seasons ago when he was at his peak. Similar chats were happening about him. Now he gets shifted around the team.

This isn't the same as Vlad investing in Craig Gordon. Gordon had yet to peak which created a potential resale value for prospective buyers. Shankland has none of that after this contract.

Fxxx the SPFL
7 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

So you are only offering him that contract on the premise of selling him too? If so, when?

This is his maximum contract value so are you going to commit to over £2m over the next 4 years? I don't want to do that. I look at Stephen Kingsley a couple of seasons ago when he was at his peak. Similar chats were happening about him. Now he gets shifted around the team.

This isn't the same as Vlad investing in Craig Gordon. Gordon had yet to peak which created a potential resale value for prospective buyers. Shankland has none of that after this contract.

He scores goals for fun and is worth that imo and will continue to do so he’s only thirty what’s the peak age for a striker. Harry Kane 30

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Disagree Geoff. He’s an exceptional player so the situation warrants an exceptional wage.

we've waited decades for a player who can score the amount of goals he does. He’s not only worth it but has demonstrated it too.

18 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

He scores goals for fun and is worth that imo and will continue to do so he’s only thirty what’s the peak age for a striker. Harry Kane 30

He has 18 months left in his contact and is in his peak.  if we are ever to get decent money for Shankland it will be next month.  Let's see how many clubs down south or west show interest.   If they don't now or in the summer, they never will. 

Edited by May98

Got to try and keep him, best finisher we've had since Robbo.

He may be wondering what's going on Hearts just now and want out, who would blame him - he's a penalty box finisher and we're asking him to come deep and play more like a midfielder - if I were him I would be questioning that.

Without his goals we'd really struggle, where else would we find that kind of return for the money we're prepared to pay.

Fingers crossed he does sign the extension.

Bazzas right boot

All about what he wants.

If he's keen to stay, offer the best deal we can.

If not, punt him and get the most money we can.

Shankland isn't Hearts,  we were 3rd without him and his goals and we will be again.

43 minutes ago, May98 said:

He has 18 months left in his contact and is in his peak.  if we are ever to get decent money for Shankland it will be next month.  Let's see how many clubs down south or west show interest.   If they don't now or in the summer, they never will. 

Correct 

Give him whatever he wants, we need to keep him. He'll just sit on the bench in Glasgow, become a legend at the greatest football club in the world...........

kingantti1874
10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Forgot his resale value, and think about how much it would cost to buy a 30 goal striker.  How much we will earn from being in europe. If we qualify even once we will pay his wage twice over.

we should offer that with the intent that he sees it out and ends his career here 

For once we hold all the aces with Shanks still having 18 months on his contract and the Euros next Summer.

He will go on our terms or not at all.

Luvvly jubbly .

The Euros might actually be a significant factor.  
Shanks is in a great position. His goal scoring record makes him very valuable and he can be confident of getting a contract to earn a couple of mil minimum over next 4 years, whatever and whenever he does it. 
if he were to move in January. Rangers or elsewhere, there is a real chance he doesn’t get max game time initially, or does and doesn’t deliver (could be step up too great, structure doesn’t work for him). 
staying at Hearts, even if we don’t sort out our attack, he will play every week and probably score enough goals to get him on the plane to Germany. 
For that reason, I think he might stay until the Summer, then look for his big payday. 

Malinga the Swinga
14 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Think the key words are 'so called'.

We must speculate and offer him a contract worthy of a £5 million player, not the £1 million that Rangers will value him at. That would have to be north of 10 grand a week and an extension of at least two years, something that would make him financially secure in an industry where career-ending injuries can happen at any time.

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

For once we hold all the aces with Shanks still having 18 months on his contract and the Euros next Summer.

He will go on our terms or not at all.

Luvvly jubbly .

The Euro's are crucial. Stops him sulking when we reject derisory offers from Sevco. 

13 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We are talking about a contract here that would take Shankland up to 31 or 32 in age terms. It reminds me a lot of when Billy Dodds was at his peak at Dundee United. He stood out in a shite team but he wasn't actually that good. United lost him but there was no discernible drop off when they changed their squad after he left. I would not break our wage structure for him.

if we lose Shanks we fall off a cliff. There’s zero goals in this squad. It’s full of very poor defensive minded midfielders and project forwards.

own goals is the 2nd top scorer as I type behind shanks. That says it all. It’s a tragic state adding in the poor rookie manager of whom is a matter of time before he’s binned.

Lose Shanks and I’d bet we would be bottom 3 or 4 easily

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

if we lose Shanks we fall off a cliff. There’s zero goals in this squad. It’s full of very poor defensive minded midfielders and project forwards.

own goals is the 2nd top scorer as I type behind shanks. That says it all. It’s a tragic state adding in the poor rookie manager of whom is a matter of time before he’s binned.

Lose Shanks and I’d bet we would be bottom 3 or 4 easily

It would be very hard to have any confidence in our recruitment department replacing him properly. Even less so if we end up getting a low fee for him.

Geoff‘s right though - you have to be very certain about someone before giving them £10k a week. 

14 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Alright, so we should sell him or let his contract run down in your book. 

Losing Shankland would be mental. 

Other than him there ar eno goals in our team. 

Our so called attackers don’t score , our  midfield don’t score and our defenders don’t score 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
14 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Shankland going will remind me a lot of Willie Wallace going, Donald Ford going, John Robertson retiring, Rudi going... 

Notice how few 'great' strikers we've had in the 50+years I've been following Hearts! Dundee may have been no worse without Dodds but that was because they were sh*te with him and still sh*te without him. As things stand, with Shankland we need one or two good players to make us a good side, without him we'd need a lot more than one or two - and one would be a striker the likes of which we have seldom had - and we won't get one.

Hackney Hearts
20 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

previously had a bit of a chequered career. Didn’t make an impact at Aberdeen

That's hardly fair! I think in terms of playing time, he had less than 3 games at Aberdeen. Mainly coming on for the last couple of minutes in matches.

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Depends who his agent is. If he sees a massive pay day for himself then Shanks will reject our offers. 

He's one of his agents' bigger clients: 

image.thumb.jpeg.98cd5cd073442d2dc06390d3a9f911a7.jpeg

A good number of lower league players too. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Alright, so we should sell him or let his contract run down in your book. 

Yes, I'd sell in the close season.

19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yes, I'd sell in the close season.

And replace him? Our best striker in a quarter of a century? 

We couldn't even replace Gino ffs. 

1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Losing Shankland would be mental. 

Other than him there ar eno goals in our team. 

Our so called attackers don’t score , our  midfield don’t score and our defenders don’t score 

Boyce wont fill the space as look over the last two years what Boyces goals to games ratio is awful. The good thing about LC is that numerous attackers in Scotland outwith the OF have a great season - then move and prove that they were one season wonders......LS looked like he might be a One season wonder re lack of goals earlier this term but has come good again - to prove he is a better striker than the SPFL has produced for a long while. (not including the Celtic conveyor belt) 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Cruyff said:

To be determined. I will say this though. I don't think Shankland actually fits well into our current team structure in terms of formation. We never see any alternative pairings though as Shankland is never subbed.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Selling Wouldnt be popular and football wise would be shooting ourselves in the foot BUT it would make great business sense as LS only has one more three year contract in him at his peak (for a centre forward - 32 and older for example is usually seen as past it in that position) A quandry indeed

Contract or no contract, he won't be at hearts for long. Simple reason he's too good for us. Unbelievable player. And half on here wanted him dropped 🤣🤣 absolute ****ing idiots don't know what sport they're watching

Edited by EH11 2NL

1 minute ago, Don Dan said:

It’s a must now. 

Just cant see it happening. Maybe if clearly made highest paid player at the club wkth a £3m release clause he may accept. But why would he accept a new deal with his stock so high. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Shankland contract extension ( merged )