Shankland contract extension ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

Heart of Darkness
3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Haha, glad to say the last function test I had said my liver & kidneys are all tip top. My favourite drink is coffee, can't get enough of the magic bean juice! 

Anyway, Shanks, in the words of Yazoo - Don't Go!

Good to hear m8!! ♥️

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

jambo mark

Who was the last non old firm player to score 20 goals in back to back seasons? Was it Robbo?

Think Gary Hooper did it in 10/11 and 11/12 for Celtic.

Have only looked back this century …

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

SO would I

But, If Shankland wants to move for more moneyIand we block the move -I doubt he'll share that view. 

In the summer it's all about Shankland- Assuming there is a reasonable bid and he wants to move.

You don't want to play a terribly unhappy player, but footballers also know the drill. If he's under contract for us, we're not going to take a substandard offer for him just for him to get a 25% pay rise. He only has to wait a year and he can go where he wants.

There are prima donna footballers who will throw a fit and sit out or down tools, but Shanks very much does not seem like one of those. I agree that he should have some say in where he goes, but contracts are also contracts. If we say, HE'S NOT FOR SALE! Shanks could get mad. I think he understands the business well enough to understand us holding our for £4m in the summer.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

You don't want to play a terribly unhappy player, but footballers also know the drill. If he's under contract for us, we're not going to take a substandard offer for him just for him to get a 25% pay rise. He only has to wait a year and he can go where he wants.

There are prima donna footballers who will throw a fit and sit out or down tools, but Shanks very much does not seem like one of those. I agree that he should have some say in where he goes, but contracts are also contracts. If we say, HE'S NOT FOR SALE! Shanks could get mad. I think he understands the business well enough to understand us holding our for £4m in the summer.

Hopefully he signs an extension. 

I do feel fees of £4/£5m are ambitious when he could sign a pre contract 6 months later.

I don't see a club bidding that sort of cash for him, but if a club does then it's a win/win for everyone. 

I say £3m, you are saying £4m- tbh that's just details, if a reasonable bid comes in and he wants to go - I think we sell. You say £4m, I say £3m some are saying £5m +.

The point is the same, Shankland imo will have a big say on what happens, the club won't dismiss his feelings.

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Who was the last non old firm player to score 20 goals in back to back seasons? Was it Robbo?

Think Gary Hooper did it in 10/11 and 11/12 for Celtic.

Have only looked back this century …

Girffiths for hibs?

Watt-Zeefuik
9 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hopefully he signs an extension. 

I do feel fees of £4/£5m are ambitious when he could sign a pre contract 6 months later.

I don't see a club bidding that sort of cash for him, but if a club does then it's a win/win for everyone. 

I say £3m, you are saying £4m- tbh that's just details, if a reasonable bid comes in and he wants to go - I think we sell. You say £4m, I say £3m some are saying £5m +.

The point is the same, Shankland imo will have a big say on what happens, the club won't dismiss his feelings.

Again, I say that 8 years ago when fees were considerably smaller, we got $1m for Sow with 6 months on his contract. As much as big Osman was a great striker for us he is no Lawrence Shankland. So with inflation, the greater value of the player, and the extra duration of the contract, £4m seems quite reasonable to me.

We should just enjoy that he's here till the end of this season. And what a season it may be on current form.

I'm not sure why there wasn't any serious interest or offers for him in Jan. Maybe his lack of pace or maybe that he's only been regularly scoring at this level for the last season and a half? Either way the more he keeps this up there will be interest and he's entitled to look after himself financially. I just wonder if we, dreamland stuff here, romp 3rd and win the cup, will the club offer him serious big contract to stay. Then he might think aye, moneys great and I could be legend here...

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Simple answer- Because the player has asked to move and is no longer happy .

Why do folk keep missing this?

Atm Shankland is happy, Hearts are happy.

The problem arises if a club bids, we reject but Shankland wants to move and feels the bid is fair.

He also doesn't secure anything.  We could finish 4th with him or win cups and finish 3rd without him- whisper it.... this has happened.

It could be argued that it makes sense  for a business to cash in, especially if the player wishes to leave rather than him walk away for £0 , 12 months later.

That makes zero business sense.

He has a contract and secondly, Shanks isn't rocking the boat here. There's no reason why he would especially when we have offered him new terms which reflect his contribution. 

What's he on just now? £3-4k a week, say?

If he wants to stay on that and score 30 goals next season to secure a big money move when his contract ends. Crack on. 

If he gets us 3rd this season and next.

That's potentially £10 million in the bank. That is beyond value for money for us. If he does that and leaves for nothing, he's paid back his transfer and wages tenfold. 

Securing a transfer fee for the sake of it  isn't always the most viable option when the return the asset brings is even more lucrative. 

jager man

The Euros could obviously play a huge role in Shankland's price tag. Play well or score on the world stage could massively inflate his price tag.

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He has a contract and secondly, Shanks isn't rocking the boat here. There's no reason why he would especially when we have offered him new terms which reflect his contribution. 

What's he on just now? £3-4k a week, say?

If he wants to stay on that and score 30 goals next season to secure a big money move when his contract ends. Crack on. 

If he gets us 3rd this season and next.

That's potentially £10 million in the bank. That is beyond value for money for us. If he does that and leaves for nothing, he's paid back his transfer and wages tenfold. 

Securing a transfer fee for the sake of it  isn't always the most viable option when the return the asset brings is even more lucrative. 

As I said, I've  answered the question and gave the scenario when imo we might sell him in the summer .

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Again, I say that 8 years ago when fees were considerably smaller, we got $1m for Sow with 6 months on his contract. As much as big Osman was a great striker for us he is no Lawrence Shankland. So with inflation, the greater value of the player, and the extra duration of the contract, £4m seems quite reasonable to me.

A club bid that for Sow, we taken it.

If clubs bid £10m, we'll likley take it.

If no clubs bid £10, £6, £5 m etc but a club bids around £3m and he wants to go , I don't think we'd hold put for a fantasy figure that folk have made up on here.

I really dont grasp why folk are  struggling with me stating-

If Shankland wants to leave to a club that has bid around £3m and He doesn't sign an eextension that we'd be open to it as I don't think we'd knock back that and kind of money and be left with a unhappy player. 

Ofc. If no clubs bid that and clubs  bid more we'll take that, if Shankland is happy to rundown his contract- we may do that, if no one bids- he might stay and extend or run down his contract and leave.

However,  in the summer- given his contract situation, age AND Shankland wants to move to the club that bids £3m- I think we'd be open to business. 

imo Shankland will have a big say on what happens next.

jambo mark

Girffiths for hibs?

According to the stats never for 20 in a season for hibs. 

scored 30 one season for Celtic 

Fxxx the SPFL
39 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If no clubs bid £10, £6, £5 m etc but a club bids around £3m and he wants to go , I don't think we'd hold put for a fantasy figure that folk have made up on here.

If Shankland wants to leave to a club that has bid around £3m and He doesn't sign an eextension that we'd be open to it as I don't think we'd knock back that and kind of money and be left with a unhappy player. 

Ofc. If no clubs bid that and clubs  bid more we'll take that, if Shankland is happy to rundown his contract- we may do that, if no one bids- he might stay and extend or run down his contract and leave.

However,  in the summer- given his contract situation, age AND Shankland wants to move to the club that bids £3m- I think we'd be open to business. 

We’ve got the the final say his contract is until 2025 if he’s unhappy he’s going nowhere at the end of his contract. If he downs tools who is going to buy him!!!

Watt-Zeefuik
40 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Folk aren't struggling with it, we just think you're a bit off on the figure it would take.

It's a number. If Rangers showed up and said, "we'll give you a £20 note and a case of Irn Bru for Shanks" and Shanks said, "it's my dream to go to Rangers, you have to take it!" no one would suggest we'd take it or that we should.

At the same time, if Rangers showed up and said, "here's £10m plus five of our best U20 players and a thank you note," no one here would say, "**** the Huns, make him play out his contract!"

So the question is what's the number in between that's appropriate?

You're saying £3m. I don't think that's enough. As crass as it is, Shanks is an economic asset to the club and the club has to manage that asset as best it can. Of course his desires factor into it, but so does the balance sheet of the club. Shanks clearly understands that and has had the best response possible to all of this, which is to put his head down, captain the team, and score goals.

One number isn't "fantasy" any more than any other within a range of possibility. It's about what someone will pay, what the cost is to us to lose him, and what he wants. And based on that, £3m seems too low to me.

1 hour ago, jager man said:

The Euros could obviously play a huge role in Shankland's price tag. Play well or score on the world stage could massively inflate his price tag.

Yep. We'd have a queue for him if he does that. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. We'd have a queue for him if he does that. 

Also, we might be able to offer him more in the summer if group stage football gets confirmed. Our board are very careful about not throwing around silly money, but once we've got guaranteed extra income, piping some of that into Shanks' pockets isn't a bad thing.

I wonder if that's why nothing happened in January. Shanks thinks maybe he can demand more after another half season and we might be able to offer him more.

colinmaroon

Weegie bluecheeks comedy writer with exclusive that it's possibly a certainty that maybe Shanks will move in the summer to Slough of Despond.

We're going to have to put up with this crap all the way to Shanks signing a contract with us. 

Heart of Darkness
18 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Good to hear m8!! ♥️

What was the odds on us passing each other this morning!? 🤣🤣

You were flying m8, how far did you go?

@Nelly Terraces

Edited by Heart of Darkness

Losing 2-0 to Germany in the opening match of the Euros . Billions watch as Shankland comes off the bench with ten minutes to go and slots home a hat trick . The Tynecastle phones light up

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, jager man said:

Not too sure.

I can't imagine clubs basing their decision to buy Shankland or not on the Euros.

Scouts will know what he's about now.

For example,  I can't imagine clubs thinking Shanklands worth £4m now but if he does well in 2/3 games in the summer he's worth £10m?

Or clubs thinking- I'm not too sure atm, I'll base our transfer decision to go for him or not depending on how well he plays in the Euros.

Him doing well won't hurt, but I'd be suprised if those interested in him haven't already got a figure in mind.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

jager man

Not too sure.

I can't imagine clubs basing their decision to buy Shankland or not on the Euros.

For example,  I can't imagine clubs thinking Shanklands worth £4m now but if he does well in 2/3 games in the summer he's worth £10m?

Or clubs thinking- I'm not too sure atm, I'll base our transfer decision to go for him or not depending on how well he plays in the Euros.

Him doing well won't hurt, but I'd be suprised if those interested in him haven't already got a figure in mind.

I agree about teams who know him. But you can't tell me if he had a great Euros that other English teams wouldn't take note. And once they looked at his stats over the last few years, I'm sure someone would take the relatily cheap gamble on him. This is all depending on him having a great Euros. And I wouldn't count on Clarke picking him ahead of the other strikers.

If he does well at the Euros it'll be up against some very good defenders.  It's a different kettle of fish from from outsmarting the players up here.  

Personally I have zero interest in a transfer fee for Shankland.  If he won't extend, just play him for all of next season for me.

chrisyboy7
37 minutes ago, naeclue said:

If he does well at the Euros it'll be up against some very good defenders.  It's a different kettle of fish from from outsmarting the players up here.  

Personally I have zero interest in a transfer fee for Shankland.  If he won't extend, just play him for all of next season for me.

I'm cool with this but another player should be captain 

King prawn
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Not too sure.

It’s happened before at tournaments that players transfer for a lot more due to a good few matches on a big stage 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, King prawn said:

It’s happened before at tournaments that players transfer for a lot more due to a good few matches on a big stage 

He'll be available for free on a pre contract 6 months after the tournament.

How much more is he going to go for and to who?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, jager man said:

I agree about teams who know him. But you can't tell me if he had a great Euros that other English teams wouldn't take note. And once they looked at his stats over the last few years, I'm sure someone would take the relatily cheap gamble on him. This is all depending on him having a great Euros. And I wouldn't count on Clarke picking him ahead of the other strikers.

Scouts will be aware of him already imo.

I can't see a good Euros being the  desicive factor whether a club wants him or not.

Playing well will be beneficial over playing shite tho.

Arthur Morgan

Too young to remember Robbo, but this guy is unreal. Best striker I've seen at Hearts, incredible player and is a level above our league.

il Duce McTarkin
On 10/02/2024 at 09:02, Nelly Terraces said:

Haha, glad to say the last function test I had said my liver & kidneys are all tip top. 

Genuinely surprised by this revelation, tbh. 

Nelly Terraces
10 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

What was the odds on us passing each other this morning!? 🤣🤣

You were flying m8, how far did you go?

@Nelly Terraces

Yeah mate, couldn’t make it up eh! Sorry I couldn’t chat, one of these days if I’d stopped I wasn’t gonna start again:lol:. 16.3 miles today, what about you? 

Another 2 for the goal machine today -unlike me, the man is unstoppable!:D

Heart of Darkness
10 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yeah mate, couldn’t make it up eh! Sorry I couldn’t chat, one of these days if I’d stopped I wasn’t gonna start again:lol:. 16.3 miles today, what about you? 

Another 2 for the goal machine today -unlike me, the man is unstoppable!:D

A slow 13 for me. 🫡

He's on a phenomenal run just now and makes it look so easy. 

His strength to hold people off to get a shot away is incredible!! 

henrysmithsgloves

Why should we sell any players that are doing the business for us? I don't get the whole he belongs elsewhere pish ,if we are to compete with the arsecheeks,make sure the players want to stay at HMFC. That's one of problems with Scottish football,any player who shows an iota of talent the Glasgow media immediately say he belongs at the old firm. Rips mah knitting 🤬🤬 

upgotheheads

FWIW.

If Shanks doesn't sign a new contract it's not the end of the world. He might well be at his peak right now, and there's no guarantee he'll be the same player next season. If he has a good European Championship and there's competition, he will still be worth £2-3 million in the close season, which might well be the time to let him go with our congratulations and thanks.

The fact he does not say he would love to sign for us and deflects the question by saying I just focus on my game and my agent sorts that out is very telling sadly. We have offered him 2 big pay days and he has said no and pretending he does not know the details is a bit insulting tbh but that is modern football for you I suppose 🤥😪. He knows fine well what is going on and probably guessing he could get a lot more elsewhere that is his choice. And the scummy football agents these days are just wanting as much commission as they can get and do bot give a crap what is best for there clients. Good working environment is just as important as salary sometimes more being in a horrible job is not worth any amount of money. Nothing is stopping him putting in a relatively low buy out clause say 3 mil but he probably knows his boyhood hero's would not cough that up brob the reason he is not signing new deal .Gutted he will not sign on the dotted line.😪

SwindonJambo
9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

FWIW.

If Shanks doesn't sign a new contract it's not the end of the world. He might well be at his peak right now, and there's no guarantee he'll be the same player next season. If he has a good European Championship and there's competition, he will still be worth £2-3 million in the close season, which might well be the time to let him go with our congratulations and thanks.

I wouldn't even take that for him then. He's worth far too much to us. I'd keep him for his whole contract then he can negotiate his next move himself.

2 minutes ago, jtkb said:

The fact he does not say he would love to sign for us and deflects the question by saying I just focus on my game and my agent sorts that out is very telling sadly. We have offered him 2 big pay days and he has said no and pretending he does not know the details is a bit insulting tbh but that is modern football for you I suppose 🤥😪. He knows fine well what is going on and probably guessing he could get a lot more elsewhere that is his choice. And the scummy football agents these days are just wanting as much commission as they can get and do bot give a crap what is best for there clients. Good working environment is just as important as salary sometimes more being in a horrible job is not worth any amount of money. Nothing is stopping him putting in a relatively low buy out clause say 3 mil but he probably knows his boyhood hero's would not cough that up brob the reason he is not signing new deal .Gutted he will not sign on the dotted line.😪

My thoughts also. Although I don’t really see it as disrespectful. He’s a professional doing a job. He has no idea what the future holds and if his form was to drop off a cliff and there was no longer any interest in him, he’d look like a bit of a ***** if he’d publicly committed to leaving. I’m now at the point where i’d just sack off trying to sell him and let him see out his contract just to have him playing in a hearts jersey for as long as possible.

Yeh I said disrespectful through maroon tinted glasses 😆 Totally his choice just gutted he will not commit specially as after his belguim failure we  then catapulted his career and made him our idol. Days of playing for the badge are long gone sucks tbh 😪 

Edited by jtkb

colinmaroon

Don't know if already mentioned, but if he played in Germany and bagged a few goals, particularly of the spectacular kind, it would increase his value.  That wouldn't fit in with the Cessbox bound plan, his value would increase, at least remain over £4.5 million with one year left. 

Also, I don't think Shanks is daft, he must realise with these richer clubs (Sevco???) if he hit a run of boorish form, he's likely to get subbed off or even dropped.  Let's face it, his form with us is exceptional even for him.  Maybe that's part of the plan, huge transfer to say someone like Everton or that level , doesn't work out but by then he'll be 30/31, cheap transfer to Castle Grey Skull.  It's not as if this hasn't happened before.

colinmaroon
7 minutes ago, jtkb said:

Yeh I said disrespectful through maroon tinted glasses 😆 Totally his choice just gutted he will not commit specially as after his belguim failure we  then catapulted his career and made him our idol. Days of playing for the badge are long gone sucks tbh 😪 

He's supposedly a blue nose and his rapport with fans couldn't be much better, he obviously relates with the fans at games and is part of a bunch of players who value him and he seems to reciprocate.  He shows much more than Gino did, for example.  It's fair to say that others are in a similar position if a big transfer (sadly, Championship upwards) came in hard to resist, if not jump at the chance.  Cochrane, for example. 

At 28, one possibly two big paydeals possible for Shankland.

The Wrinkly Ninja

Looking forward to watching him in maroon for the next 16 months or so until his mutually agreed contract runs out.

If he maintains form he will get the contract he deserves and if it’s not with us then he will go with a thankyou, best wishes and good luck (dependent on destination) when he leaves.

I try to not fall on the good/pish side of player debates too early...at least not definitively.

I didn't think he'd be up to much for us though 😂😂 He's unreal, what a player.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I wouldn't even take that for him then. He's worth far too much to us. I'd keep him for his whole contract then he can negotiate his next move himself.

We will still have that option.

Shanks could go to another team and be a total flop. His last move didnt work out and this was the reason we bagged him for a decent fee.

We have signed many strikers ourselves over the years who were on fire at their clubs or showed potential but when they got here they just didnt perform or fit often struggling to score.

There has a been a few games this season when Shanks wasnt really involved but stayed on the pitch, he then produces a bit of magic and scores. I dont think he would get the same amount of time at a bigger club with bigger expectations that a higher wage brings.

If an offer comes in for him in the summer and we dont accept and he also decides not to sign we should still have a player who is trying to sell himself to potential clubs. Only time I think he would lose a bit of interest is if he signs a pre contract in the winter window and tries to avoid possible injuries.

I think this also shows how important a quality striker is to a club like ours and if he moves on we need to replace him as best we can.