Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Hibs just sold Melkerson for £1.4M. Anything less than 3 or 4x that is insane. 

So the headline said I think when read it actually said something along the lines of when you take in all the loan fees paid to them it had came to over £1m.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

joondalupjambo
44 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

We might be just a few weeks away from the OF gaming starting in earnest, although I presume it will only be the blue half playing for real.

Might need a sweepstake on how low they start at.  I’ll say £700k or , maybe £600k plus Lowry.

Even if Hearts were stupid enough to say aye to a low ball figure, which will not happen they would want cash and if there is one team who do not have that it is The Rangers.  

alicante jambo
21 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Is that genuine though? No way have rhey got that for him. He was murder.

37 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aye and a 25% sell on fee. Not a ****ing chance that happened. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

18 months left 

That’s what I hoped. Let’s not wait until January 25 to talk. Let’s extend now if he’s up for it.

2 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Mate......you really are a pap after that post. Piss off back to fester please...and take your sisters with you. There's a good chap

:rofl:

51 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

There is just not a chance this happened.

1 million NOK maybe. Thats about 100k here. 

I hear the Skacel shout, but without Shankland’s goals in this team I dread to think where we are. 

When he signed for us people purely thought he was a poacher. Hes so much more. Reminds me of Kane, rarely loses the ball when it’s played up to his feet and is exceptionally good at bringing others into play. 

I'll play devil's advocate here.

I find his hold up play is very inconsistent, one game it sticks the next its poor.

He also holds onto the ball far too long around the box (last week at Aberdeen done this 2 or 3 times when could play another player in)

No pace. 

Unbelievable in front of goal and would be a massive loss for us but this is probably his level. 

Top 2 leagues in England you need to have a better all round game which I belive he would struggle down there which would affect his price tag. (Although if he had scored the same amount in the lower English league he would be with a fortune they over inflate their prices down there)

FTH

Frankly, we would be nowhere without Shankland. And that's a worry if he's ever injured. We need to have a plan B (and it's not Boyce or anyone else currently in the first team) and we need it quickly.

1 minute ago, Madjambo21 said:

I find his hold up play is very inconsistent, one game it sticks the next its poor.

He also holds onto the ball far too long around the box (last week at Aberdeen done this 2 or 3 times when could play another player in)

No pace. 

Unbelievable in front of goal and would be a massive loss for us but this is probably his level. 

Top 2 leagues in England you need to have a better all round game which I belive he would struggle down there which would affect his price tag. (Although if he had scored the same amount in the lower English league he would be with a fortune they over inflate their prices down there)

FTH

Agree with this. He's absolutely lethal but I can't see him doing much at a decent level elsewhere due to the lack of pace mainly.

It's one of those where it just work imo. We should throw the kitchen sink at keeping him 

Natural goalscorers are like gold dust anywhere in football and we have one in our team who is in his prime and still has 18 months on his contract.

It's a no brainer we have to give/offer him an improved contract and one that sets him and his family up, with a release clause of no less of a bid of £5/6 million if that is what it takes.

Releasing Halliday and Haring would more than free up enough money in wages to pay for it.

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Rangers will wait and likely sign him on a pre-contract ala John Souttar

They can’t afford to wait another 12 months. Celtic will reinvest and rebuild. They need to capitalise this season IMO. A red hot shanks is what they need and can’t afford

3 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Give him whatever he wants.

Sometimes you need to really do something out of the ordinary to retain a player whose value to the club exceeds the financial. I'm still far from convinced we get the best out of him. That said, he's clearly earned the right to a serious contract.

This week should've made it clear to the people running the club where supporter sentiment is at. We quite clearly need to retain Shankland and build the side around him. That cannot be in dispute. If it takes £12/14k pw then we need to do it. The players will be acutely aware of what he brings so I wouldn't see dressing room unrest being a likely factor. 

It would be a massive statement of intent to renegotiate a new 4 year deal. Pace isn't an issue with a deal of that longevity as he hasn't got any. The ability to have a goal machine, particularly at our level, is priceless. 

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
4 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Yesterday Shankland scored his 5th goal vs Celtic I believe. 5 goals in 7 games vs them. 

Shankland has 4 goals in 6 vs Hibs. 

Shankland has 6 goals in 12 games in Europe. 

Shankland has scored at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Easter Road and Pittodrie. Shankland has scored at Hampden. 

I think Livingston and Dundee are the only sides currently in the top flight Shankland has failed to score against whilst playing for Hearts. 

Simply the best there’s been since Robbo. He is sensational. Been a long, long time since I had so much faith in a Hearts forward. He has such variety to his goals as well. 8 in the league and zero pens. Superb. 

🇱🇻♥️

We ain’t losing him so relax and enjoy looking forward to the above continuing.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

They can’t afford to wait another 12 months. Celtic will reinvest and rebuild. They need to capitalise this season IMO. A red hot shanks is what they need and can’t afford

The Huns just got about 19 million for progressing in Europe.

scott herbertson
29 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Natural goalscorers are like gold dust anywhere in football and we have one in our team who is in his prime and still has 18 months on his contract.

It's a no brainer we have to give/offer him an improved contract and one that sets him and his family up, with a release clause of no less of a bid of £5/6 million if that is what it takes.

Releasing Halliday and Haring would more than free up enough money in wages to pay for it.

No it wouldn't = you have to pay Haring and Halliday their wages until the end of their contracts unless someone else buys them or takes them on loan and pays the wages. There is no saving to be made unless we find someone to take them on.

RustyRightPeg
42 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

No pace. 

FTH

Other than pace I’ll have to question what Shankland you watch. 

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

The Huns just got about 19 million for progressing in Europe.

Thats nice. That’ll pay off the £15M they invested the shite they play up front currently. 

If we are to show any ambition then we must keep him at all costs. Break the bank for him and his family as that’s why the club are investing in the infrastructure in the first place isn’t it?

I’m sick of the jam tomorrow statements. Selling shanks for £4/5M doesn’t even buy you a shanks replacement and his value to get us 3rd in the next two seasons is worth far more than any transfer sum we could get for him. 

As a part owner (allegedly) of HMFC and someone closing in on 10k maroon points then surely we have a voice or maybe we don’t?  I would be willing to give him two months of FOH contributions as a signing on fee. Isn’t this why we put in money every month to see a better product on the park? Phukkk this working capital bollox and being told as part of the constitution then we can’t ask what the club spend our money on. Well I want all my monthly contributions spent on keeping Lawrence Shankland as I’m sure others do.

We’ve given enough working capital over the last 10’years and now we want shanks to stay. He’s irreplaceable imo and especially from a silly low ball offer, should it arise, from the blue bigot twin! I’d rather he ran his contract down and left for free as I’m sure the Huns can’t wait 18months to get him. What will he be worth as a near 30year old striker and would the hun still want him then? The sight of shanks in royal blue coming to Tynecastle just doesn’t beat thinking about. 

Show some forward think here please Hearts! 

3 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Mate......you really are a pap after that post. Piss off back to fester please...and take your sisters with you. There's a good chap

I may be mistaken, but a very small part of me suspects that @Pap was being ever so slightly sarcastic.

2 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Rangers will wait and likely sign him on a pre-contract ala John Souttar

Rangers will not hang about for 18 months waiting on a 30yo Shankland 

They and there impatient entitled supporters will have moved onto someone else long before then

The Real Maroonblood

If the worst happens and he is sold I would like to think we are not shafted. 

A good fee and add ons included.

I'm sure we've been shafted a few times in the past.

alicante jambo
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If the worst happens and he is sold I would like to think we are not shafted. 

A good fee and add ons included.

I'm sure we've been shafted a few times in the past.

Lee wallace is one springs to mind.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Lee wallace is one springs to mind.

Also, how much did we get when Hickey moved to Brentford?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

If its the rumoured 100,000 then thats the hearts boards fault for allowing jim jeffries to go to italy and do that deal.

Or Jeffries fault.

That shite hibs and Aberdeen seem to get top dollar for utterly mediocre players but we need to accept a pittance for:

A team captain. 

A player who averages 1 goal in 2 games. 

A capped Scotland international. 
A player with 18 months left on his contract. 
A player who never misses a game and is always plays 90 mins. 

Aye, £3m should do it :cornette:

52 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Other than pace I’ll have to question what Shankland you watch. 

The one that holds on the ball far too long in the final 3rd.

Often picks wrong option when we have a chance to play through oda vargas or tagawa 

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

The one that holds on the ball far too long in the final 3rd.

Often picks wrong option when we have a chance to play through oda vargas or tagawa 

😂😂😂 okay mate. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

If its the rumoured 100,000 then thats the hearts boards fault for allowing jim jeffries to go to italy and do that deal.

That is disappointing.

You could view every goal as making his departure more certain. Or you could view every goal as bumping up our asking price yet further.

The point with Shankland is that we have no chance of replacing him with an equivalent player, no matter how much we sell him for. We simply can’t (and shouldn’t) pay the kind of wages such a player would demand. So if we were to sell him before his contract expires, it would have to be worth more to us than keeping him on the books would be. This summer, that would have to be at least £5m. I’m not saying anyone will pay that, merely that this is what the asking price should be. In January it should be significantly higher as we won’t be able to replace him at all, and this is the final year where 3rd guarantees the group stages in Europe. Anyone doesn’t want to pay that kind of money - that’s fine. He is worth more to us on the pitch and scoring goals.

Ideally he would sign a bumper contract to guarantee a bigger fee. Or just to stay longer.

I don’t want to lose Shankland but the biggest factor here has to be does he want to stay. 

Hes 28 years old with about 18 months left on his current deal. He knows he’s only got one major contract left in him. He’s not been kicking around the top flight all of his career and has not really earned big money in comparison to some of his peers, so a lot will depend on what he wants. 

We all know what sort of money he’s likely to get if he signs for either of the OF and it’s something realistically we can’t match so a lot of it will come down to whether he sees himself earning less but playing week in week out no matter who the manager is or risking a move to the OF which has him in and out of team or out of favour should a new manager be appointed. 

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

😂😂😂 okay mate. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's not like he has a lot of assists this season.

Sleep just fine but thanks for asking

RustyRightPeg
19 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

It's not like he has a lot of assists this season.

Sleep just fine but thanks for asking

If you’re arsed about Shankland not getting a tonne of assists then football isn’t for you. 

Polonia Gorgie

Considering it literally took decades to find a marksman as lethal as Shankland, we should offer the guy a mouth watering contract, he's worth 20k a week. His stats are incredible and speak for themselves. A few posters have said they'd rather him see out his contract and left for nothing rather than accepting peanuts. I do agree but this is one player we must try keep a hold of. I'll be in my 60s if we have to wait the same amount of time for 20+ goals per season. It's a grim thought

Edited by Polonia Gorgie

If you’re arsed about Shankland not getting a tonne of assists then football isn’t for you. 

I'm on about his overall play.

He is a great goalscorer but that's about it.

His hold up play is not amazing and he has 0 pace.

My opinion is this is his level. 

He would get more goals if our team was playing better.

9 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

And some folk still think he doesn’t care and doesn’t run about enough. Pish. Best player we’ve had for 15/20 years. 

Try 11.

Gimme an H...

Need to be throwing big money at him right now to extend his contract in the knowledge that we’ll sell in the summer (for the right price). Speculate to accumulate. He’s too big a cash cow to lose for nothing. 6 months of breaking our wage structure in order to make £5m is a no brainer.

1 minute ago, Gimme an H... said:

Need to be throwing big money at him right now to extend his contract in the knowledge that we’ll sell in the summer (for the right price). Speculate to accumulate. He’s too big a cash cow to lose for nothing. 6 months of breaking our wage structure in order to make £5m is a no brainer.

With our luck he'll sign and then break his leg. 

Go for it 1308
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

I may be mistaken, but a very small part of me suspects that @Pap was being ever so slightly sarcastic.

Ah shit. I was in a rush and didn't realise the sarcasm....I better apologise  ffs😬

Go for it 1308
6 hours ago, Pap said:

:rofl:

Apologies mate....i had a woosh moment.  you're quite right ...he's actually quite pish on cold Tuesday Wednesday night up at dens😉

I wanted Hearts to sign Shankland when he was at Ayr.  Credit to Robbie Neilson for signing him for United.

I wanted Hearts to sign Shankland when he was at Beerschot.  Credit to Robbie Neilson for signing him for Hearts.

I genuinely have no idea why other so-called bigger clubs didn't sign him earlier.  It bugs me so much that Rangers think they can come in for him now and just take him off us.  I hope that Hearts do all they can to keep him.

The point has been well made that keeping him could well net Hearts £10m for two third place finishes and Europe.  So selling him for less than £10m is madness, especially to a rival team.  But I would imagine the club would be tempted by £5m.

My biggest concern is that the player himself is ambitious.  Moving to Rangers at some point gives him the chance of earning higher wages, winning the league and getting to the latter stages of European competition, all with the team he supported as a boy.

The big challenge we have is persuading guys like Shankland (and Souttar before him) that if they stay at Hearts they can be club legends rather than squad players at Ibrox or Parkhead.  And that there is a realistic chance of winning things with Hearts.  And that means investing in a team of players of similar calibre.

9 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Surely he was joking? 

thecarnbeejambo

problem is this will be the the last big contract he will sign.. at 28 if he gets a 3 year deal taking him to 31 his next deal will not be as lucrative.

if he is to secure his and his families future then money will play a major part in his decision. would the board be willing to make what would have to be a record breaking offer to him.

lets face it an english championship side could easily top our best offer.

especially if by signing him his goals could propel them into the mega bucks premier league... then again if we do put a top offer to him he may be settled with his family and decide to stay.... lots of possibilities.. lets hope it a good outcome for us...

It would need to be silly money. If he chooses to go for nothing in a year then so be it. If someone REALLY wants him they can pay up otherwise it’s not worth losing him early.

We can’t sell a player like Shanks mid season & just hope we can replace him for peanuts to keep our push for Europe on, we’ll need to spend big to get someone who can do what he does & even then I’m not sure it’s a given. In the Summer we can be a bit more flexible but in January it needs to be an amount of money that a buyer would genuinely have to be daft to be willing to spend.

If he could just get his passing right, he'd suddenly be a £5 mill + player.

Getting silly, if he had pace.......!!!!!!

He would be in the EPL.

Pace he can do nothing about but he does make simple passes look difficult just a bit too often.  Tighten up on that and he's a shoein for the Euros.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)