Shankland contract extension ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Modern day, young coaches don’t play long ball. It’s tippy tappy.  They all think they are the next Pep. We should just be getting another striker in the box with Shankland and fire the ball in there at every opportunity. Unfortunately we have signed tippy tappy guys Vargas, Oda, Devlin, Beni, Hof    Nine of them suited to long ball stuff 

Unsure if ifs even that.

Get the ball down the wings faster and then the ball in the box.

More diagonals to mix it up and a more dynamic midfield to win second balls, none of our midfield even attempts to break forward either, it's like there's a force field stopping them.

Forest and Mckay can ger down the wings and go and get Armstrong.  3 decent spfl players perfectly suited to that.

Oda, Vargas,Tagawa- I'm not sure what our scouts are looking out for tbh.

Most of our signings are just not that good In general.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

If I was Shankland and I was considering staying, obviously on a better contract. My 1st request would be strengthening the 1st team with players on or around his level. 

And I don't see him agreeing a new deal. 

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Mirror said:

If I was Shankland and I was considering staying, obviously on a better contract. My 1st request would be strengthening the 1st team with players on or around his level. 

And I don't see him agreeing a new deal. 

then we will sell him in the summer.  But tbh most players care about security for the family. 

£10k per week on a 5 year deal offers him that. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Never knew Shankland had so many family and friends on here that know exactly what he is going to do or what it would take for him to sign a new deal. 

Amazing isn't it. New thread starts, Hearts looking to extend their main striker's contract and immediately it's negativity about club.

The same posters try desperately to suck the positives out of everything then complain that nothing positive happens.

Hearts should revert back to saying nothing about any contracts, signings or departures till they are completed as it all gets twisted.

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

No chance we’ll be paying a 33 year old £10k a week (which he would be by the end of a 4 year contract)

He'd still be 32 by the end of a 4 year contract? Doesn't seem that bad an idea to me! 

A_A wehatethehibs

The past doesn’t determine the future 

Just because other past players refused to extend to engineer a move like snake Souttar, or have thrown the toys out like clown Lafferty, both of whom would have better all round lives now if they’d stayed at Hearts, doesn’t mean Lawrence is doomed to repeat those errors.

He’s got a 1.5 years left on £ X, and Hearts can offer increase his immediate wage right now to £ Y and give him that longer term 3 or 4 year security for his family. Maybe even 5 years.

It’s perfectly possible he will sign given what he’s been through as a player, been released,  bounced about clubs, been sold to a foreign country. He finally has a home here, Tynecastle is his patch of grass, this is a club where he and his family has a secure home for life. 

To me, and not just saying this as a Hearts fan, but just in general football fan, Lawrence fits here, he’s at home here. And a lot of rangers fans probably would actually agree. I don’t think they’d see Lawrence as a signing to put them above Celtic. This is a good place for him to continue to play his football and target 10,15, 20 caps for his country. And if he  does go up a gear during the rest of this season, scores at Euros etc then, clubs will have to pay. Whether he’s signed an extension or not. So going through the logic it does make sense that Lawrence might well sign

9 hours ago, Jackhmfc1348 said:

Can't see him signing one.

Any English Championship club or Rangers would offer a salary that would blow us out the water.

Plus he looks more and more frustrated playing in this team at the moment and you could hardly blame him tbh 😏.

To me, this has more than a whiff of the Romanov Gordon tactic…contract extension on higher wages, solely with a view to justifying a larger transfer fee from prospective buyers.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

To me, this has more than a whiff of the Romanov Gordon tactic…contract extension on higher wages, solely with a view to justifying a larger transfer fee from prospective buyers.

Protects both the player and the club.  Basically the correct move for all 

4 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Yep, I agree. 

We should be building the team around Shanks if he stays. 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Protects both the player and the club.  Basically the correct move for all 

I suppose the only risk is if nobody actually puts in an acceptable offer, leaving us stuck with Shankland on wages we normally wouldn’t pay…great for the team, maybe not so much for the bank balance.

However, if this is what we’re doing…you would think it means there’s serious interest in signing Shankland that we’re aware of.

50 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Modern day, young coaches don’t play long ball. It’s tippy tappy.  They all think they are the next Pep. We should just be getting another striker in the box with Shankland and fire the ball in there at every opportunity. Unfortunately we have signed tippy tappy guys Vargas, Oda, Devlin, Beni, Hof    Nine of them suited to long ball stuff 

Tippy tappy also known as possession football is how all the top teams play.  The good teams do it at pace which is what we are lacking at the moment.  There's nothing wrong with hoofball now and again but as a tactic it would be easy to defend against.

A_A wehatethehibs
27 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Can't see him signing one.

Any English Championship club or Rangers would offer a salary that would blow us out the water.

Plus he looks more and more frustrated playing in this team at the moment and you could hardly blame him tbh 😏.

Sure but clubs can’t sign him on an 18 month pre-contract and nor would they want to.

So those “blow us out the water” contract offers,  which may be there now, may not be there in 18 months, as a lot can change in football.

If these they want to blow us out the water now, fine, pay us a minimum of £3-5m and he’s yours. Whether he extends or not.

From Lawrence perspective, nothing really changes other than his bank balance goes up, his financial incentives to score goals for Hearts go up, and his young family has longer term safety net if he goes and does his ACL on Saturday which can happen to any player.

There’s some reasons to be optimistic he’ll sign, know we’ve been burnt by recent players so a lot of fans have become numb to players lack of loyalty. 

Within the realms of realism give him what he wants. It’s took longer than my whole lifetime to find a striker who scores as consistently as he does. We’d be in a sorry state without him and on the flip side if we can sort ourselves out in other areas of the park then we could be a serious force with shankland upfront 

The Natural Order

The club will do a deal with him IMO. Sign a new deal to up your market value, we'll give you a bump in wages all in the understanding we'll let you move on to bigger things in the summer.

Probably the best deal all round.

Edited by The Natural Order

NextGenerationJambo
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The past doesn’t determine the future 

Just because other past players refused to extend to engineer a move like snake Souttar, or have thrown the toys out like clown Lafferty, both of whom would have better all round lives now if they’d stayed at Hearts, doesn’t mean Lawrence is doomed to repeat those errors.

He’s got a 1.5 years left on £ X, and Hearts can offer increase his immediate wage right now to £ Y and give him that longer term 3 or 4 year security for his family. Maybe even 5 years.

It’s perfectly possible he will sign given what he’s been through as a player, been released,  bounced about clubs, been sold to a foreign country. He finally has a home here, Tynecastle is his patch of grass, this is a club where he and his family has a secure home for life. 

To me, and not just saying this as a Hearts fan, but just in general football fan, Lawrence fits here, he’s at home here. And a lot of rangers fans probably would actually agree. I don’t think they’d see Lawrence as a signing to put them above Celtic. This is a good place for him to continue to play his football and target 10,15, 20 caps for his country. And if he  does go up a gear during the rest of this season, scores at Euros etc then, clubs will have to pay. Whether he’s signed an extension or not. So going through the logic it does make sense that Lawrence might well sign

Wish people would remember the bit in bold when talking about the clubs expectations and ambitions. 

As much as I get what you are saying, I think there is an element of wishful thinking involved. Remove the fact that, historically, players will jumpship to the old firm in a heartbeat - the reasons for Shankland to move are not in our favour. 

He's been scoring for fun for us and still isn't favoured in the Scotland setup. He'll earn AT LEAST double at Rangers, if not more. He'll be playing a higher level of European football and it will be as close to guaranteed as you can get. And if rumours are to be believed, he'll be playing with his boyhood club. Most importantly though, he'll actually enjoy his football more every weekend, not one person can look at Shankland just now and say "That's a guy who is really enjoying himself." He cuts a frustrated figure every week, and no wonder. It would be absolutely soul-destroying playing as a striker in this team. If I were Shankland, and I had 0 affiliation to Hearts, I'd be off. Unless as another poster has suggested, there was significant efforts made to improve the first team. 

Edited by NextGenerationJambo

Let's be honest, why would he sign an extension with us? What's the benefit to him? His stock is high and he can easily go to a better paid team that doesn't have a pish manager and midfield.

As a striker that doesn't rely on pace can play for a good few years yet and get a quality 4 year deal elsewhere.

I hope he signs on but I fully expect him to move in Jan or end of season, if he keeps banging them in.

At least we'll still have Boyce to lead the line, if Shanks goes.

I hope he signs, we’ve waited a long time for a striker of his quality. As the song goes, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

The way to maximise the sell on value of a player is to give them a contract extention.

You dont want to have a player entering the final year of his contract as his value plummets as they are able to sign a pre-contract half way through their final season and then leave for free. 

5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I don't want to overpay for someone who will soon hit 30. Sell in the close season please.

What is overpay?

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

then we will sell him in the summer.  But tbh most players care about security for the family. 

That's my assumption as well because we'll never match what he wants and won't be able to bring on enough players of suitable quality to convince him that this is the place where he might win something.

He better sign soon cause am fed up of the delivery drivers dropping off at work giving it the “we’ve got Lawrence shankland” patter. They can keep dreaming cause it’s no happening 

11 minutes ago, Mirror said:

That's my assumption as well because we'll never match what he wants and won't be able to bring on enough players of suitable quality to convince him that this is the place where he might win something.

If there a real interest then it's his last chance for a big payoff   

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

it’s almost like some don’t want him to so they can criticise the club some more.  Maybe we shouldn’t bother offering him a deal at all 🤣

FFS 

come on bro, I’ve got you in the ‘able to see the woods for the trees’ camp. Don’t disappoint me 

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Long way to go before those words can be used about him. 

Thats the point though, stay, become a club legend. Be this generations Skacel. Its a bit of a romatic pitch, but if he's open to staying then there is a glimmer of hope. Lay it on thick, get Mr Anderson opening the cheque book and see where we can get to with him. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, XB52 said:

Offer him the best contract we can. If he won't sign it then we sell, assuming anyone can match our asking price.

What will happen is that he won’t sign a new deal and then we’ll have to sell him in the summer for whatever we’re offered 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What will happen is that he won’t sign a new deal and then we’ll have to sell him in the summer for whatever we’re offered 

Quite possibly, we don't exactly have a great track record for selling players for good dosh 

Fort Vallance

It's very unlikely because it'll come down to cash and trophies. But I hope he takes into account that this is the first place where he's been properly appreciated.  All the crap about only being able to score in the championship has been put to bed. He doesn't owe us anything but hopefully he'll keep all that in mind.

kingantti1874
30 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

come on bro, I’ve got you in the ‘able to see the woods for the trees’ camp. Don’t disappoint me 

I can see the wood mate, things are far from great. But there’s no criticism from me on the club offering shanks a new deal regardless of whether he signs it or not.   I always think if you can call out the good stuff as well as the bad, and admit when you are wrong like I’ve been many a time then it’s a good start. 

Tynecastlesmychurch

It’s not just about offering him a pay rise!

We need to be making the case to him that despite recent setbacks. The club is still incredibly ambitious and does want to close the gap on the old firm or at the very least be pulling away from everyone else. We need to be making the case that we really are going to be going for the best players possible. Players that actually could see us challenging for trophies on a regular basis. 

3 hours ago, Deviskan said:

defo an element of this.

Also think this is one which can't backfire - as in he stays with us - and the rest of  players can't grumble at him being a sole player on a wage outwith the structure. It's plain to all he's an exceptional player - deserving of an exceptional wage.

The White Cockade

people who say if he goes we just replace him are deluded

we couldn't afford to buy anybody who would replace his goals total

and anybody who could wouldn't come to us anyway

the fact is he's scoring a lot of goals in an absolutely dire team who don't create many chances

if we had an attacking team with creativity and decent wingers he's score 40 a season for us

i'd try everything to keep him including building a team round him to play to his strengths

unfortunately I don't see him signing again as the club is in such a downward trajectory despite

the good financial situation and the Board's statements at the AGM don't make you think they

see the problem

Malinga the Swinga

For last few months we have wanted Shankland to get extended contract and complainers moaning Hearts need to get it done 

Negotiations begin on extended contract and complainers now moan it will cost too much, he will be too old, he will never sign it.

Wtf do some people actually want?

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Sure but clubs can’t sign him on an 18 month pre-contract and nor would they want to.

So those “blow us out the water” contract offers,  which may be there now, may not be there in 18 months, as a lot can change in football.

If these they want to blow us out the water now, fine, pay us a minimum of £3-5m and he’s yours. Whether he extends or not.

From Lawrence perspective, nothing really changes other than his bank balance goes up, his financial incentives to score goals for Hearts go up, and his young family has longer term safety net if he goes and does his ACL on Saturday which can happen to any player.

There’s some reasons to be optimistic he’ll sign, know we’ve been burnt by recent players so a lot of fans have become numb to players lack of loyalty. 

Fair points.

Thunder and Lightning
12 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

I think it will come down to whether he wants to play for rangers or not. 

I'm pretty sure they're keen on him, they'll no doubt have tapped him up, and he's apparently a rangers fan. 

Whatever we offer him, rangers will offer more than that. 

Put yourself in his shoes. You play for say Aberdeen on £8k but you get the chance to play for the team you supported your whole life, Hearts, for £10k per week. It's a no brainer. 

There are clubs outside of Scotland ffs. The old firm doesn't rule the world. 

11 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

We need to offer him a lot more than that if we’re being serious. 

He also needs to realise he has had far from a glittering career outside of Hearts. 

3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Tippy tappy also known as possession football is how all the top teams play.  The good teams do it at pace which is what we are lacking at the moment.  There's nothing wrong with hoofball now and again but as a tactic it would be easy to defend against.

Pace is the key word here (unless you're Man City!) and not only that but the ability to hold the ball i.e. possession.  

Re hoof ball, many teams both sides of the Border use it very successfully, especially when breaking from defence. 

We are far too predictable and that pisses shankland off.

Thunder and Lightning
39 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

people who say if he goes we just replace him are deluded

we couldn't afford to buy anybody who would replace his goals total

and anybody who could wouldn't come to us anyway

the fact is he's scoring a lot of goals in an absolutely dire team who don't create many chances

if we had an attacking team with creativity and decent wingers he's score 40 a season for us

i'd try everything to keep him including building a team round him to play to his strengths

unfortunately I don't see him signing again as the club is in such a downward trajectory despite

the good financial situation and the Board's statements at the AGM don't make you think they

see the problem

So how did we sign him? 

Why did he come to us if others wouldn't? 

4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Unsure if ifs even that.

Get the ball down the wings faster and then the ball in the box.

More diagonals to mix it up and a more dynamic midfield to win second balls, none of our midfield even attempts to break forward either, it's like there's a force field stopping them.

Forest and Mckay can ger down the wings and go and get Armstrong.  3 decent spfl players perfectly suited to that.

Oda, Vargas,Tagawa- I'm not sure what our scouts are looking out for tbh.

Most of our signings are just not that good In general.

Armstrong not worth the money. Over 7 figures according to Savage. 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

So how did we sign him? 

Why did he come to us if others wouldn't? 

mate, 30/40 goal a season strikers are a rarity. Every team wants them but very few have them. 

rarely do you find one available at a price point we can pay.  

I think that’s a very obvious statement 

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Only Rangers would offer him that. We certainly won’t 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Armstrong not worth the money. Over 7 figures according to Savage. 

i read that and it irritated me. I’d rather we sign  1 Armstrong for a million rather than spend the same in total spread over a Jorge Grant, Oda and a Tagawa.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Only Rangers would offer him that. We certainly won’t 

we can’t demand to be better and continually fail to push the boat out for our best players. 

That would be a deal worth 2.5m over 5 years.  If we qualified for Europe twice we return that sum 5 times over.

at some point we need to stop wasting money on a volume of shite players, and spending money on a few players of genuine quality otherwise we will continue to decline year on year 

4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Yep but for a squad with virtually no pace, like our current squad, we shouldn’t be messing about with tippy tappy 

• davemclaren changed the title to Shankland contract extension ( merged )