Shankland contract extension ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

£3million

a laughable amount mate. Seriously.  It’s not the 1990’s.  The rest of the world has moved on and up here in Scotland we just think we should accept these piddly fees.

£3m is not a lot of money. It just isn’t.   We’d make 4 times that if we qualify for Europe twice. 

Edited by kingantti1874

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

It works both ways. No one knows Lawrence's thinking career wise.

At his age, he has one last big pay cheque to think about, and that unfortunately highly likely means England.

Don't know his agent and their reputation for doing the right thing either.

I'd imagine the board would make a great offer. And it would come down to Lawrence and his agent deciding over, security and a good wage in the knowledge that there is a fee in the contract that buyers need to meet. Or, him deciding that as a free agent at 30 he can get a better move with a bigger pay packet.

At the end of the day   it's shanklands decision  not his agents

13 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

I disagree. He had limited end product but I thought he played an important part in the tactical plan. Many times he carried the ball from the defensive areas into the final third relieving pressure and allowing the defense and midfield to reset. He also chased down a lot of balls played over the top into the channels, again allowing the defensive unit to keep their positions. Not pretty but an important part of the team performance.

Well said. Always one arsehole moaning.

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

a laughable amount mate. Seriously.  It’s not the 1990’s.  The rest of the world has moved on and up here in Scotland we just think we should accept these piddly fees.

£3m is not a lot of money. It just isn’t.   We’d make 4 times that if we qualify for Europe twice. 

Obviously we would want more but he's only got 18 months left on his contract. Some of the figures quoted here are simply fantasy. 

This is My Story Podcast

Let’s hope the £3 million release clause is just a rumour and not real. Suppose we will see in January if that’s true or not. 

8 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

£3million

So Hibs got over £1m for that dud Melkerson.   
If we sell it’s a minimum £6m for me.

like some above, I’d rather let him go on a free end of next season than take a shit offer, especially from the Glasgow arse cheeks

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

So Hibs got over £1m for that dud Melkerson.   
If we sell it’s a minimum £6m for me.

like some above, I’d rather let him go on a free end of next season than take a shit offer, especially from the Glasgow arse cheeks

I doubt Hibs got anything near that. There will be add-ons etc inflating that figure. Unless some lower placed EPL or higher placed Championship side fancy him we won't get near £6m, Personally, the likes of West Brom or Sunderland should be looking at him.

ToadKiller Dog

The club has it right at saying £5m starting point .

In the real world the scottish league value isn't great from viewing outside , plus his contract status ,age etc .

If we could get £3m plus would be good return but would rather keep him with us ,as he is worth at least that or more by staying .

15 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

In all seriousness what is the realistic minimum price we should accept if a move were to happen ? 

The thing is that Shanks is worth so much more to us than he is to any team looking to buy a player with 18 months left on their contract. His goals will be the difference between qualifying for Europe or not. With that in mind he is worth 4/5 million to us before we even think about paying wages/transfer fee to replace him. 

I genuinely feel he is worth North of 7 million to us even with 18 months left on his contract. No team will even contemplate paying anything near that for him when they can have him on a pre contract in 12 months. I like others would rather he ran his contract down and left on a free in the summer of 2025 than lose him for 2/3 million at the moment.

He will also want guaranteed 1st team football if he was to move to keep alive his chances of making the Euro squad which must also be in his thoughts.

Go for it 1308
21 minutes ago, Pap said:

Seems the old addage is true though. He cant do it on a cold Tuesday night in Dundee/Livingston.

Sell please.

Mate......you really are a pap after that post. Piss off back to fester please...and take your sisters with you. There's a good chap

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Obviously we would want more but he's only got 18 months left on his contract. Some of the figures quoted here are simply fantasy. 

18 months is a long time. They may well be fantasy but if not met he won’t be sold.

£3m would be  a laughable fee. The same as Aberdeen sold Sam Cosgrove for. Millions less than they got for Scott McKenna, not much more than we sold Colin Cameron for 20+ years ago.

I swear some hearts fans are stuck in a time warp.  Thankfully there is no danger we sell for such a paltry sum in January .

Scott Monument
34 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

In all seriousness what is the realistic minimum price we should accept if a move were to happen ? 

Nothing less than 1 million 

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Let’s hope the £3 million release clause is just a rumour and not real. Suppose we will see in January if that’s true or not. 

that wouldn’t correlate to the statements at the AGM, when exceptional fee was referenced and we quoted the expected income from Europe.

still it’s hearts. And we agreed about a £100k sell on for Hickey 🤣

He's worth what someone is willing to pay.

To us he's worth double his weight in gold because so rarely do we find ourselves in possession of a natural goalscorer.

If he was 22-24 you'd be talking an easy 6-10 million on a long contract.

As it is his next move will likely be his last big one as he creeps closer to 30. 

Given his age and the league he's playing in. Anything around 3-4 million will be amazing money. I don't like it either but that's where we are at.

Hope the 3m thing is pish, so does that mean if someone bids 3m for him that the club have to accept it ? Or do we still have a right to say no, I've no idea how these things work tbh

jambogirlglasgow

Surely the impending Euros gives us a good chance of keeping him until the summer? He isn’t likely to have less options then than he’ll have in January. I’m confident he’ll stay until the end of the summer and leave then. Would be fair enough. 

This is My Story Podcast
18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that wouldn’t correlate to the statements at the AGM, when exceptional fee was referenced and we quoted the expected income from Europe.

still it’s hearts. And we agreed about a £100k sell on for Hickey 🤣

£3 million for a player we paid 600k for may be considered exceptional for the club 😂

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Yesterday Shankland scored his 5th goal vs Celtic I believe. 5 goals in 7 games vs them. 

Shankland has 4 goals in 6 vs Hibs. 

Shankland has 6 goals in 12 games in Europe. 

Shankland has scored at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Easter Road and Pittodrie. Shankland has scored at Hampden. 

I think Livingston and Dundee are the only sides currently in the top flight Shankland has failed to score against whilst playing for Hearts. 

Simply the best there’s been since Robbo. He is sensational. Been a long, long time since I had so much faith in a Hearts forward. He has such variety to his goals as well. 8 in the league and zero pens. Superb. 

🇱🇻♥️

All whilst carrying the additional burdens/pressure

- Scotland breakthrough aspirations

- captain during unsettled times and mgmt change.

- Rabid transfer specualtion to his boyhood heroes.

- loss of his main striking partner.

Boys a machine!

WheatfieldWarrior
46 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

How much would it cost to replace his goals?

what would be the damage done to hearts be if he was sold?

not worth the bother imho - rather have the goals.

The fact that he gets mentioned so often in the same sentence as Robbo speaks volumes. Let’s do our very best keep the guy and he can cement himself as a Hearts legend in return. Hearts and Shankland are made for each other. The guy is brilliant and I really hope he stays for the rest of his career. 🇱🇻

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, alicante jambo said:

Hes irreplacable sorry if thats spelt wrong i had a tad too much to drink last night celebrating. It would cost us a fotune to replace him if we even found a striker better than him.

And that and ECL groups stages income should be set at. Not what the sheep or hobos flogged somebody at.

We dont NEED to sell financially so compensate the risk of lost income or do one.

On current showing, losing him means 3rd would be a very big ask.

This is My Story Podcast
3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

All whilst carrying the additional burdens/pressure

- Scotland breakthrough aspirations

- captain during unsettled times and mgmt change.

- Rabid transfer specualtion to his boyhood heroes.

- loss of his main striking partner.

Boys a machine!

He’s sensational. He’s so intelligent on the park as well. 

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

big shout that.  Rudi Skacel says hello.  

that said.  He’s in the debate, and it’s a good one. 

Hes without doubt the best in the last decade

I hear the Skacel shout, but without Shankland’s goals in this team I dread to think where we are. 

When he signed for us people purely thought he was a poacher. Hes so much more. Reminds me of Kane, rarely loses the ball when it’s played up to his feet and is exceptionally good at bringing others into play. 

We need to offer him a ridiculous deal. It’s as simple as that. Sell Halliday, Sell Haring give their wage to shanks.  5 year deal, 6 year deal I don’t care.  

we need to make it extremely difficult for him to leave.  We need to offer him security for himself and his family.  He may choose to go anyway and that’ll be his choice.  But not till the summer and not till we’ve qualified for Europe.  

This

8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I hear the Skacel shout, but without Shankland’s goals in this team I dread to think where we are. 

When he signed for us people purely thought he was a poacher. Hes so much more. Reminds me of Kane, rarely loses the ball when it’s played up to his feet and is exceptionally good at bringing others into play. 

this. Never more apparent than yesterday’s game. He was superb at it

22 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

That's hardly fair! I think in terms of playing time, he had less than 3 games at Aberdeen. Mainly coming on for the last couple of minutes in matches.

In a sense that was my point that somehow he couldn't command a first team place. You can bet they rue the day they let him go. 

1 hour ago, Scott980612 said:

During the Sportsound phone in yesterday evening someone (I forget who) said that Hearts won't entertain any bid below £5m. 

If true, then a move to Rangers in January can be discounted. There's absolutely no way that club would hand over that kind of money to a Scottish club. 

To a foreign club for some goal shy donkey, in a flash, but not to Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen etc. 

Edited by martoon

RustyRightPeg
15 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

What is his contract situation?

is it Summer of 25 that it ends?

18 months left 

2 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Yesterday Shankland scored his 5th goal vs Celtic I believe. 5 goals in 7 games vs them. 

Shankland has scored at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Easter Road and Pittodrie. Shankland has scored at Hampden. 

I think Livingston and Dundee are the only sides currently in the top flight Shankland has failed to score against whilst playing for Hearts. 

Simply the best there’s been since Robbo. He is sensational. Been a long, long time since I had so much faith in a Hearts forward. He has such variety to his goals as well. 8 in the league and zero pens. Superb. 

🇱🇻♥️

Great write up and still folk on here will under value him.Quite simply he is the best striker in the league right now.Imagine ( I know its horrible to ) how much he would score for anyone of the Glasgow pricks but they still wouldn't want to pay a fair price as they would rather spunk it on pish from Europe.

Get him signed up  ,get a fair release clause inserted for any teams outside Scotland and if he keeps scoring everybody ends up happy.

We need to offer him a ridiculous deal. It’s as simple as that. Sell Halliday, Sell Haring give their wage to shanks.  5 year deal, 6 year deal I don’t care.  

we need to make it extremely difficult for him to leave.  We need to offer him security for himself and his family.  He may choose to go anyway and that’ll be his choice.  But not till the summer and not till we’ve qualified for Europe.  

Pretty much.

Should have made that offer in the summer. Opportunity cost is something that will be weighed up - Rangers might offer more money on a shorter contract, if offered a longer contract that did everything you're saying, that might appeal more. Knowing he's def going to be a Hearts player to 2028 might give him the sort of security he's after - especially if we're prepared to offer him big wages. 

I think we've left it too long though.  Was screaming for an extension over the summer. Playing contract chicken with the best player you have is ****ing idiocy. 

This is My Story Podcast

There are only two real options on the table for me. 

1. Let him leave for free when his contract runs down. His contract expires in 2025. By then he could genuinely be closing in on 100 goals for Hearts. 100 goals. Incredible. 

2. We burst the bank and offering him literally as much as we possibly can to stay. Sell him the legacy, legend, hero for a lifetime dream. 

Selling him isn’t an option for me. Even if we got a ridiculous sum of money. Who do we buy that replaces him? Spending £2/£3 million on a player, if we did, we’d have to burst the bank to pay their wages cause you aren’t buying a player at £2/£3 million and then paying them 4k a week. He has scored almost half the goals we have scored last season and this season. Haha we can’t replace that. 

We might be just a few weeks away from the OF gaming starting in earnest, although I presume it will only be the blue half playing for real.

Might need a sweepstake on how low they start at.  I’ll say £700k or , maybe £600k plus Lowry.

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

And some folk still think he doesn’t care and doesn’t run about enough. Pish. Best player we’ve had for 15/20 years. 

Hos celebration at the end of the game yesterday suggests he very much cares.

We need to offer him financial security.

57 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

£3 million for a player we paid 600k for may be considered exceptional for the club 😂

You have to hope that the management of our club aren't that devoid of ambition that they feel that is the case.

2 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

🇱🇻♥️

When you put it like that he's worth £10m! Any other club and striker the media would be creaming themselves. Just look at Nisbet and how the media bummed him up to high heaven and his price. 

I would prefer Hearts not to sell him at any price.  He's on course to score more than 30 this season, and I'd expect him to break 20 next season too.  I don't care if he leaves for nothing at the end of that.

On top of everything else, he's got a great attitude, a real leader for our team.

To be honest, I think he's missed a few this season that I'd expect him to score by his (very high) standards.

We are ok for cash.  

Edited by naeclue

Agree with posts. We can't afford to lose him and his goals. Noone else is contributing with regular goals which is massive issue and has to be addressed. Board simply have to put a huge offer to him that breaks current salary structure. If that isn't enough to ensure he re-signs at least we've tried. Dilemma then is stick with him till contract runs down or invite suitors who know our asset is diminishing in value after summer 24.

This is My Story Podcast
2 minutes ago, naeclue said:

I would prefer Hearts not to sell him at any price.  He's on course to score more than 30 this season, and I'd expect him to break 20 next season too.  I don't care if he leaves for nothing at the end of that.

On top of everything else, he's got a great attitude, a real leader for our team.

To be honest, I think he's missed a few this season that I'd expect him to score by his (very high) standards.

We are ok for cash.  

Yip. Exactly where am at. 

Absolute Scenes

I still find it mental that folk on here were greeting about signing him based on his season and stats with a pish Dundee United side and being played out of positions in Belgium

regardless of where he had been his goal scoring record spoke for itself. 

as the OP says, he is the best striker we’ve had since Robbo

Absolute Scenes

If the board haven’t chucked at least 10k in his new contract they are a bunch of ******s. Never has a player deserved to be our highest paid more than Shanks in this side 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Totally agree. AT the start of the season, I was focusing on how we could maximise the money we could get from selling him within 12 months.     Not now though, changed my view completely.  As you say we need to throw everything we can at making a new and much more lucrative contract his best option.  3 years minimum.  Get it done in January.  

He'll want to move up a level sometime, but his importance to the team (and the fans) is beyond riches.

He won't go for any less than £5m this window.   Could be a bit squeaky bum time come the summer though if the indications are he won't sign a new contract.   

I think a lot will depend on what Shanks wants and also if 3rd in 2025 means European Group stage football, if it doesn't and we lose that as a country I think he could go then and make us a good few quid. 

2 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

He would probably get more than that if he moved elsewhere. Maybe got to offer more than that to keep him. Probably still worth offering more.

He would only get a lot more than that if he had 6 months or less on his contract and clubs were getting him for a nominal fee.

Cant see any club matching our asking price, so he either sits tight for 18 months or he doubles his wages next month.

Entirely down to him and his family what he chooses. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Shankland contract extension ( merged )