Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

New Town Loafer
23 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

big shout that.  Rudi Skacel says hello.  

that said.  He’s in the debate, and it’s a good one. 

Hes without doubt the best in the last decade

Rudi then Shanks for me.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

Pretty sure Lowry will end up here permanently. Would rather it wasn't part of a deal for Shankland. 

The only worry might be that Rangers see the growing unrest at Celtic and believe they can win the league (I think they will actually). On that basis they may feel that paying say £4M + Lowry is a price worth paying if Shankland gets goals in second half of the season that sees them go on to win the league. He's definitely on the plane to Germany in such a scenario.

Really hope he does. 20 years old and has fantastic potential. A very clever footballer who will only get better the more he plays. Consistency will come over time. I reckon if he fills out a bit and improves the physical side to his game he could be a top player.

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Really hope he does. 20 years old and has fantastic potential. A very clever footballer who will only get better the more he plays. Consistency will come over time. I reckon if he fills out a bit and improves the physical side to his game he could be a top player.

Absolutely, I think getting him on the books permanently could be a great thing. Plenty chance to earn us some big cash down the line imo

Just now, AC Mallin_51 said:

Absolutely, I think getting him on the books permanently could be a great thing. Plenty chance to earn us some big cash down the line imo

Definitely. 

Many Rangers fans rate him highly and you know how hard they are to please. I'm sure they'd be seething if they sold him to us.

McKinlay said at the AGM that Shankland is the difference between us making Europe and failing to. On that basis, he’s worth about £10million (assuming two seasons in group stages).

From a business perspective, it makes more sense to keep him for the remainder of his contract - I don’t see any transfer fee being offered getting close to that number. I don’t see Shanks doing the big sulk in the incredibly unlikely event of him being tapped up. It’s a no brainier for me.

37 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Not a fan of him liking Rangers shit when he’s currently captain of our side. We all know there is a good number of rangers fans in our side but don’t show it on social media when you are constantly linked to them.

What's this all about?

Just now, May98 said:

What's this all about?

He liked a video that was posted by SPFL on Instagram of rangers fans celebrating their cup win yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Hansel said:

He liked a video that was posted by SPFL on Instagram of rangers fans celebrating their cup win yesterday. 

Thanks, have to admit that's not a good look.  Unless it was purely down to his dislike of the sheep shaggers of course :) 

Would be absolutely gutting to lose him but I wouldn’t be against it IF it is a handsome fee and IF we reinvested that money into the team. Losing Shanks would be fitting for us but if it gives us the potential to bring in 3/4 really decent players who could improve us, then perhaps it could work out in the long run 

11 minutes ago, Hansel said:

It's not a huge deal, just one of those things where it's just not a good look. Personal views or not from a professional point of view he shouldn't be doing it. Especially on a public platform knowing that fans will be able to see it. Just asking for bother, is it really worth it to click "like" on a video, I don't see how it is.

4 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Would be absolutely gutting to lose him but I wouldn’t be against it IF it is a handsome fee and IF we reinvested that money into the team. Losing Shanks would be fitting for us but if it gives us the potential to bring in 3/4 really decent players who could improve us, then perhaps it could work out in the long run 

Think if we lost him the first port of call would need to be Kevin Van Veen.

A stop the bleeding type signing - you're not replacing the goals, but bringing in a competent goal scoring striker is a must. 32, time isn't on his side but maybe get a year or two out of him to find a replacement. Who knows, Shanks might be availible again at the end of that :D 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Think if we lost him the first port of call would need to be Kevin Van Veen.

A stop the bleeding type signing - you're not replacing the goals, but bringing in a competent goal scoring striker is a must. 32, time isn't on his side but maybe get a year or two out of him to find a replacement. Who knows, Shanks might be availible again at the end of that :D 

Yeah as a short term fix Van Veen seems logical

24 minutes ago, May98 said:

Thanks, have to admit that's not a good look.  Unless it was purely down to his dislike of the sheep shaggers of course :) 

Yeah, not a good look for the captain. If we're giving him the benefit of the doubt perhaps he's accidentally liked the video whilst scrolling.

But, if we're being cynical, he's pandering to Sevco and saying "come and get me"

I suppose its down to him if he stays or leaves, we must try to keep him though. 

I'm sure the board already know that and will be working on it.

LarrysRightFoot
12 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Yeah as a short term fix Van Veen seems logical

We need a Van Veen just now - not if Shankland leaves IMO. 

We desperately need to find a Big Foot for Shanks as he can’t keep doing it himself. 

On 17/12/2023 at 10:21, This is My Story Podcast said:

Yesterday Shankland scored his 5th goal vs Celtic I believe. 5 goals in 7 games vs them. 

Shankland has 4 goals in 6 vs Hibs. 

Shankland has 6 goals in 12 games in Europe. 

Shankland has scored at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Easter Road and Pittodrie. Shankland has scored at Hampden. 

I think Livingston and Dundee are the only sides currently in the top flight Shankland has failed to score against whilst playing for Hearts. 

Simply the best there’s been since Robbo. He is sensational. Been a long, long time since I had so much faith in a Hearts forward. He has such variety to his goals as well. 8 in the league and zero pens. Superb. 

🇱🇻♥️

Seen Shanks get lots of stick on here a few weeks ago but a think what folk have got 2 realise is he’s no a whippet he’s no gonna press high he’s no blessed wi pace. He does put a shift in most weeks. He’s a goalscorer anywhere in or around the box it’s a goal u have got 2 play 2 his strengths. Build the team around him get quick players beside him and do the running for him he will take care of the rest 👍🏼 very similar 2 big Boyd at Rangers the guy would just score goals for fun and had quick players around him doing the running

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Seen Shanks get lots of stick on here a few weeks ago but a think what folk have got 2 realise is he’s no a whippet he’s no gonna press high he’s no blessed wi pace. He does put a shift in most weeks. He’s a goalscorer anywhere in or around the box it’s a goal u have got 2 play 2 his strengths. Build the team around him get quick players beside him and do the running for him he will take care of the rest 👍🏼 very similar 2 big Boyd at Rangers the guy would just score goals for fun and had quick players around him doing the running

Boyd comparison is a strong one. Both rely on a high football IQ to gain the space rather than speed of body, speed of mind

On 17/12/2023 at 11:20, King of the North said:

Nope. 

Double it. Even then I wouldn't want to sell. 

And if selling to a rival, add a premium on top.

maltese jambo

We need to be focused on supplying him with the best possible service (which we currently simply don't do) yes he will eventually leave but in the meantime build a team around him and its win win for everyone 

heartgarfunkel
On 17/12/2023 at 10:53, kingantti1874 said:

We need to offer him a ridiculous deal. It’s as simple as that. Sell Halliday, Sell Haring give their wage to shanks.  5 year deal, 6 year deal I don’t care.  

we need to make it extremely difficult for him to leave.  We need to offer him security for himself and his family.  He may choose to go anyway and that’ll be his choice.  But not till the summer and not till we’ve qualified for Europe.  

Shankand can have both big tellys in my house if he stays as well as a 3 year old Black Labrador if he wants him.  And our electric bikes for him and his Mrs.

Go for it 1308

5 million ( no installments). Nothing less or tell those weegie ****s to piss off.  

If not, then keep him and see out his contract.

Ironically,  mcCulloch might have done us a favour with his 'lowball Hearts' article.  The board would have read that and hopefully that would have pissed them off. 

Absolutely no 2 million plus lowry crap. 

This is a big test for the board regarding keeping the fans on board 

5 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

5 million ( no installments). Nothing less or tell those weegie ****s to piss off.  

If not, then keep him and see out his contract.

Ironically,  mcCulloch might have done us a favour with his 'lowball Hearts' article.  The board would have read that and hopefully that would have pissed them off. 

Absolutely no 2 million plus lowry crap. 

This is a big test for the board regarding keeping the fans on board 

5 million plus Lowry is where I'd be. Would be more than happy with that.

You just know after all the speculation and guessing he will go for an undisclosed fee that will have us guessing/debating for a year or so before the accounts come out.  

21 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Rangers will not hang about for 18 months waiting on a 30yo Shankland 

They and there impatient entitled supporters will have moved onto someone else long before then

There must be a more appealing 22-25 year old out there within the Ranger wage structure? They can offer £20k per week to a player of an appropriate age that would provide a more realistic chance of a transfer fee down the line? For all his positive attributes LS will not have a resale value (realistically) after his next contract ends.

Whether they can afford £5m our not, I'm not sure Rangers would see that as a realistic price for Shankland, given his age. Some teams might just look at the short term impact he can have over 4 years.

2 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

There must be a more appealing 22-25 year old out there within the Ranger wage structure? They can offer £20k per week to a player of an appropriate age that would provide a more realistic chance of a transfer fee down the line? For all his positive attributes LS will not have a resale value (realistically) after his next contract ends.

Whether they can afford £5m our not, I'm not sure Rangers would see that as a realistic price for Shankland, given his age. Some teams might just look at the short term impact he can have over 4 years.

Didn't stop them with Lafferty who everyone and their dug could have told you was a bad move - At hearts, supportive environment, strict expectations about behaviour - to the hun who didn't really seem to even want him, just took him because they could. 

loveofthegame

We should be putting him at the very, very front of the line for new contract discussions and offering to make him the highest paid player in the squad by some distance.

Offer him 5 figures a week - he is worth that - on a long term deal. If someone (Sevco) want to take him off of us they should have to pay a huge fee - I'm talking £6/7m+.

In today's market, he is worth a fortune.

My biggest concern is that when the Rangers low ball offer inevitably comes in January that he throws a complete wobbler - he is a Rangers fan with, given his age, likely only one big move left in him. If he puts in a transfer request, refuses to play, fully spits the dummy then we'd have a very difficult situation on our hands. But I'd be fuming if we bowed to that pressure.

My view is the best way to resist that is to pay him something closer to what Rangers would be willing to. We can never match them but if he is clearly our top paid player and by some distance then we can at least justify turning down everything Rangers throw at us.

January could be a long month.

For everyone saying what about Skacel, he was with us  13 years ago.. I know mind blowing..

Shanks, I want to hold onto and would rather lose him for nothing in 18 months but if he wants a move, very little we can do apart from take the highest offer. make no mistakes, if Rangers want him, they will get him.

We should be looking for his replacement now.

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Didn't stop them with Lafferty who everyone and their dug could have told you was a bad move - At hearts, supportive environment, strict expectations about behaviour - to the hun who didn't really seem to even want him, just took him because they could. 

That was 'just' £1m. The logic of a moved with a £4-5m price tag is different.

They should pay Shanks his worth.  If it means breaking the wage structure do it.  It will cost more to us by losing him longer term than short term injection of cash.  Tell the Old Firm to go **** themselves.

8 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Is there actually any proof rangers even want to sign him? Apart from the usual paper talk and drivel from their supporters? 

It was decided a few weeks ago that Rangers needed a striker so Shankland was linked as he is scoring goals and obviously we are their feeder club as far as Radio Clyde believe. Probably not denied by whatever PR guy is at Rangers and so it has got traction.

When he scored against Celtic also they were added as being a good destination and immediately Radio Scotland were talking his vaue down to 2-3m max with some woman pundit being the loudmouth about it on Saturday as she probably spends the most time getting bargains in TK Maxxx...

Edited by Spellczech

3 hours ago, loveofthegame said:

We should be putting him at the very, very front of the line for new contract discussions and offering to make him the highest paid player in the squad by some distance.

Offer him 5 figures a week - he is worth that - on a long term deal. If someone (Sevco) want to take him off of us they should have to pay a huge fee - I'm talking £6/7m+.

In today's market, he is worth a fortune.

My biggest concern is that when the Rangers low ball offer inevitably comes in January that he throws a complete wobbler - he is a Rangers fan with, given his age, likely only one big move left in him. If he puts in a transfer request, refuses to play, fully spits the dummy then we'd have a very difficult situation on our hands. But I'd be fuming if we bowed to that pressure.

My view is the best way to resist that is to pay him something closer to what Rangers would be willing to. We can never match them but if he is clearly our top paid player and by some distance then we can at least justify turning down everything Rangers throw at us.

January could be a long month.

Refusing to play won't happen with the Euro carrot dangling. 

14 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

The euro carrot is probably our strongest card tbh, to at least keep him beyond January anyway. Any bench time at a new club will seriously undermine his chances of making the squad. 

Look at Souttar, barring a miracle he won't make it. He certainly shouldn't if he can't get into the gers starting 11. If he had stayed at Hearts he would likely be a certainty to get there. 

loveofthegame
22 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

You are probably right, but I see he even since my post above (not 4 hours ago FFS...) he has liked a post about Rangers winning the cup and it has made the red tops...

I really hope that isn't a "so it begins...".

Not ready to lose him is the right answer. A couple of good results or a couple of bad results will decide our season -  we're on a knife edge where we'll end up come May. As it stands don't need money, need goals. In my opinion the club has to be firm on this as the heat racks up and nip speculation in the bud unless it's really silly money. If he wants to go in the summer fair enough, keep putting them away and they'll be knocking  at the door  but to lose our captain and top goalscorer now would be sheer madness.   

On 17/12/2023 at 10:58, kingantti1874 said:

big shout that.  Rudi Skacel says hello.  

that said.  He’s in the debate, and it’s a good one. 

Hes without doubt the best in the last decade

Put Shanks in the team alongside pre-injury Bednar and he’d score 45 goals and get 72 assists. 

Would have loved to have seen McKay in that team as well. 

Folk seem to forget that players nowadays hold most of the cards......if they want away and to a specific team then it makes it very awkward to force them to stay. Maybe to placate all parties Hearts agree a £4-5m sell clause with Govan Scum right now to let him go in May - all folk semi happy as he wouldnt down tools by chucking toys out. (though if sold in May then the price would go down by 20% ?)

All the sevco sites seem to think it's a done deal, just because he's scoring and a closet hun they seem to think it's a forgone conclusion. Hope Lawrence has more sense!

5 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Definitely 👍 

Are we really that hard up we need to sell Shankland, I mean at the AGM we were told that we’ve got money in the bank and the business side of Hearts is doing very well. If Hearts ever needed to sell an asset for crazy money it should never be to Rangers or Celtic for obvious reasons. So let’s hope OUR decision makers add quality to the team and release or sell the players that Naisy has deemed to have no future at Hearts. Anyone think that’s wrong squeak up.

Opinionated Jambo

Getting rid of some players perhaps surplus to requirements e.g Halliday, Haring, Grant for a start I would look to bring in Fuchs or Baccus and give Shankland a few extra thousand per month to sign a new contract

6 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

even if they get 2 years out him in the league they would be onto a winner.. also  (and I say this with some tongue in cheek) it weakens a rival. I know we never lay a glove on them but it’s what they’ve always done wether they play them or not.

29 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Are we really that hard up we need to sell Shankland, I mean at the AGM we were told that we’ve got money in the bank and the business side of Hearts is doing very well. If Hearts ever needed to sell an asset for crazy money it should never be to Rangers or Celtic for obvious reasons. So let’s hope OUR decision makers add quality to the team and release or sell the players that Naisy has deemed to have no future at Hearts. Anyone think that’s wrong squeak up.

we know we don’t need to sell but we also know full well we can’t / won’t hold someone back from furthering their career (financially or otherwise). We can only hope he’s happy here and we pay him more

So he is 28 coming up 29 Shanks will still be scoring goals in this league when he is 33 barring a very bad injury.Get him signed Hearts 

See him liking the League Cup final tweet it's probably more that Aberdeen got beat after the stick he took from them the other week which led to the gesture from him that was in the press.

59 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

All the sevco sites seem to think it's a done deal, just because he's scoring and a closet hun they seem to think it's a forgone conclusion. Hope Lawrence has more sense!

There is absolutely no way Rangers will match our valuation. 

They'll make an offer to unsettle him but there is zero chance of him going there unless its in 18 months time.

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

I totally agree with you mate. I think a lot of the posts (including mine) are based on a hypothetical situation. 

Do we sell him in January for the right money or let him run down his contract and get nothing. 

I'm also in agreement with you with regards to selling him to either of those weegie tramps.

I think we all agree that The rangers will come sniffing in January.

I was gutted to find out Neil McCann  was his agent 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)