Nieuwenhof ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Pretty difficult to do that when you’re injured.

My point is he’s not ready to be a starter. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• The Black Prince

• Chimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maroonedinoz
On 26/08/2023 at 19:08, Chimp said:

Might not have looked tenacious in his very few minutes he's played so far but apparently he was all of last season in the A-League - a league not exactly known for being soft. Not worried about that side of his game.

The. A League is nowhere near the SPL in terms of physicality.

TBH I was surprised when I heard he was signing for us.

I viewed him as a decent player in the A-League, but definitely not one I thought would be off to Europe.

Last  season was his ‘break out’ season too….so I’m not sure he’s experienced enough to shine just now.

Maybe best to view him as a WIP, and temper expectations this season.

10 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

My point is he’s not ready to be a starter. 

Based on what exactly? He's only played in a couple of games then was injured!  

Lord Montpelier
18 minutes ago, maroonedinoz said:

I viewed him as a decent player in the A-League, but definitely not one I thought would be off to Europe.

Last  season was his ‘break out’ season too….so I’m not sure he’s experienced enough to shine just now.

That's pretty much what a mate of mine said who saw him play in sydney

Dusk_Till_Dawn
19 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yet another ****ing project player 😂

I don’t know, I thought he looked worth a go. Reserving judgement on him 

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Firefox said:

Or even was struggling with an injury when playing!

Jambof3tornado
27 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Can we afford anything other than run of the mills or project types??

Jambof3tornado
17 minutes ago, JamboJoker98 said:

Naismith mentioned in preseason interview he was one for the future which tells me he thinks he's not ready yet.

Think we need to worry about the here and now a bit more.

19 minutes ago, JamboJoker98 said:

Naismith mentioned in preseason interview he was one for the future which tells me he thinks he's not ready yet.

He's 22 FFS 

22 minutes ago, JamboJoker98 said:

Heart of Midlothian Football Club is delighted to confirm the signing of Australian midfielder Calem Nieuwenhof, subject to a successful medical, UK visa and work permit approval, and international clearance.

The 22-year-old Australia U23 cap joins the Jambos from A-League side Western Sydney Wanderers on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Calem makes the move from down under following a hugely successful season at WSW where he helped them to the A-League Finals series and was named in the PFA A-League Team of the Year.

A versatile midfielder, he made the breakthrough into the Australia U23 side earlier this year and was part of the Olyroos side that finished third in the Toulon Tournament.

He will now join compatriots Cammy Devlin, Nathaniel Atkinson and Kye Rowles at Tynecastle Park, subject to the approval of the aforementioned paperwork, as the Jam Tarts edge closer to the start of the 2023/24 campaign.

Speaking to the Official Hearts Website, Head Coach Frankie McAvoy said: “I’m really looking forward to getting Calem in and working with him.

“He’s earned rave reviews in the A-League and we think that he can come to Hearts and continue that form and make a real impact.

“Calem has the potential to both improve the team and himself, so it’s an exciting signing.”

Techincal Director Steven Naismith said: “We’ve watched Calem a lot and what has impressed me the most is his versatility in the middle of the park.

“He can fill a variety of different roles in there and his numbers prove that he excels in all of them.

“From the conversations we’ve had he seems like a great lad, he has a real desire to come here and succeed and so he should fit into the dressing room well.

“It’ll be a few days yet before he comes over and all the relevant paperwork is completed, then we’ll integrate him into the group and get him match ready.”

Sporting Director Joe Savage said: “The Australian market is one we now know well, so when the opportunity came up to make a move for Calem, it was too good to turn down.

“We know exactly what we’re looking for in terms of targeting quality players. Sometimes that means having to be patient until the right player becomes available and in Calem we’ve got that, so we’re delighted to get him in.

“He has all the attributes to carry his success from the A-League over to Scottish football and we all feel that he’s more capable of doing so.

“Things are beginning to heat up on the transfer front and we’re hopeful we’ll have even more good news to share in the coming days.”

Image courtesy of Western Sydney Wanderers FC

22 minutes ago, JamboJoker98 said:

I remember him saying that about Vargas but not Calem. 

1 minute ago, Chillidigits said:

Why do I get the feeling that this guy is McEneff in disguise.

Of the same view. don't see the point in trying to convince myself he just needs more time. Until he shows something, I'm filing under Kio/Grant. 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Of the same view. don't see the point in trying to convince myself he just needs more time. Until he shows something, I'm filing under Kio/Grant. 

He’s barely played got to give him a chance! 

3 hours ago, Firefox said:

What's his injury?

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Surely you can only have so many at one time......not practically all of them!

JamboJoker98
16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I remember him saying that about Vargas but not Calem. 

Ah yes could be getting the interviews mixed up !

Captain Scarlett

What I’ve seen I think he’s more Kelty Hearts than Heart of Midlothian. Probably end up at QOS or Raith Rovers in the future.

12 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

He’s barely played got to give him a chance! 

Almost all of our success stories in recent times have been players that have hit the ground running. He's not done that, so I'm concerned. 

I would like us to sign Fuchs from Peterborough. Could be a very shrewd signing to sort out our midfield issues. 

When did said injury come about? As it would explain why he hasn't appeared. The communication around injuries seems a bit poor - what is happening with Beni? 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Almost all of our success stories in recent times have been players that have hit the ground running. He's not done that, so I'm concerned. 

I would like us to sign Fuchs from Peterborough. Could be a very shrewd signing to sort out our midfield issues. 

He’s lucky if he’s played 90 minutes in total. Hes 22 and come from the other side of the world into a new league. I’m certainly not writing him off yet. 

2 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

When did said injury come about? As it would explain why he hasn't appeared. The communication around injuries seems a bit poor - what is happening with Beni? 

Might have been Partick game he came off after around 60 minutes so maybe felt something then. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’m not saying the Hoff will be a bad player but **** me:

Oda - project

The Newcastle lad - project

Hoff - project

Vargas - project

Lowry - whether confirmed or not is a project due to his age (somebody else’s project but I wouldn’t mind if he hit the ground running)

Offiah - 20 years old - project

Denholm - project

Naismith - project coach 

Tawaga - supposed to be first team ready - let’s see. Excited by him but he hasn’t hit the ground running and he needs a chance to adapt.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug
56 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Can we afford anything other than run of the mills or project types??

Of course we can - if our recruitment team functions properly. Miovski, Duk, Roos, Scales?

Hungry hippo
3 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

He wasn't in the squad for the PAOK or Dundee games and it must be why he wasn't involved. 

Not sure why the injury wasn't communicated as people assuming he was completely dropped has led to much of the speculation on this thread.

The Mercer Takeover

The Hof simply isn't good enough  to be anywhere near the first team just now. Will this change with time, possibly, however his lack is pace is frightening and will hold him back.

Needs to be loaned out to see if he can cut it in the Championship first 

1 minute ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

The Hof simply isn't good enough  to be anywhere near the first team just now. Will this change with time, possibly, however his lack is pace is frightening and will hold him back.

That’s enough for me today. 

Thanks. 

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

And you saw all if this in the hour and a bit he played? 

50 minutes ago, OTT said:

He's 22 FFS 

Players can be so mollycoddled these days.  Look back at the 80s team. Robbo, JC et al were that age and performing as dependable, effective first team players.    

McCann, Locke, Johnston etc….in the mid 90s being the main guys to turn too of a similar age. 

At our level, it just seems like excuses most of the time these days and we don’t put responsibility on these guys.  However, maybe they just aren’t as mature and hungry as the guys from bygone years?

20 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

:hobofish:

Jambof3tornado
37 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Of course we can - if our recruitment team functions properly. Miovski, Duk, Roos, Scales?

Roos played 40 games in 7 years!!! Duk had a 1 goal every 4 games average for benfica b. Miovski a bit closer to a not project player. I'd suggest scales as a project type player too.

They came in and believed in robson. Still not massively better recruitment than us.

We still need to take on lost their way types or projects to get by, that and focus on untapped leagues that offer better value.

Jambof3tornado
40 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

His lack of pace???? Dont know that we've seen him run yet?

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Duk started 1 of Aberdeen's first 10 league games last season and was playing for a B team the season before. How was he not a "project"?

6 hours ago, maroonedinoz said:

That’s what Ryan McGowan said about him. 

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Players can be so mollycoddled these days.  Look back at the 80s team. Robbo, JC et al were that age and performing as dependable, effective first team players.    

McCann, Locke, Johnston etc….in the mid 90s being the main guys to turn too of a similar age. 

At our level, it just seems like excuses most of the time these days and we don’t put responsibility on these guys.  However, maybe they just aren’t as mature and hungry as the guys from bygone years?

Or maybe you’ve picked a handful of club legends who are quite clearly the exception rather than the rule (which is why they are legends) and are using them to set the bar preposterously high. 

It took Paul Hartley until he was 27 to get a game for Hearts. All these young ‘uns in the current team must be more determined than folk back in his day, right?

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Oda - project

Hoff - project

Vargas - project

Lowry - whether confirmed or not is a project due to his age (somebody else’s project but I wouldn’t mind if he hit the ground running)

Denholm - project

Naismith - project coach 

Tawaga - supposed to be first team ready - let’s see. Excited by him but he hasn’t hit the ground running and he needs a chance to adapt.

So tagawa is allowed time to adapt but the less experienced Nieuwenhof isn't?

41 minutes ago, CMc said:

Or maybe you’ve picked a handful of club legends who are quite clearly the exception rather than the rule (which is why they are legends) and are using them to set the bar preposterously high. 

It took Paul Hartley until he was 27 to get a game for Hearts. All these young ‘uns in the current team must be more determined than folk back in his day, right?

Maybe a generalisation as I know careers flourish at different times but it’s a point regards the excuses season on season for players around that age.  

If they can’t step up, why persevere?  How long do you wait?  Again, I’m not necessarily pointing the finger at the new players. It’s a general view of the game across the board.  

Regards, Hartley.  He was transformed into a CM at St Johnstone a few years before Hearts and nominated as player of the year back then. But previously it was recognised he “had something”.  I can recall a game v Raith mid 90s when many came away taking about a much younger Hartley and how we should go for him.  

It’s not preposterously high to set a standard of basic responsibility and focus to get near consistency. What was the grounding of the “legends?”.

I’d say personal pride and hunger firstly long before they became prominent.

Any player should have that then they hopefully have the right environment to supplement that at the same time.   There’s been plenty so-so players over the years (ability wise) who showed the other basic attributes as second nature.  

Edited by Debut 4

Tom Hardy’s Dug
48 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

So tagawa is allowed time to adapt but the less experienced Nieuwenhof isn't?

What is it about me saying “I am not saying Hoff will be a bad player” that you don’t understand.

I am making the point that we are packing our squad with players who may come good when they settle, eventually. It’s not much good for the here and now is it?

5 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Oda - project

Hoff - project

Vargas - project

Denholm - project

Naismith - project coach 

The ghost of Levein still haunts the place.

Corstorphine Jambo

Hearts fans have waited so so long for a decent central midfielder that the expectations on Nieuwenhof are perhaps unrealistic. A half decent start for Snodgrass last season and it was like we had signed the new messiah (I was caught up in all the excitement too).

The lad is 22 and has come halfway across the world to a new environment. It looks like, and I’m being optimistic, he maybe just needs time to get up to speed.

Just don’t take too long son……

Mick from Oz
On 26/08/2023 at 07:27, Sarah O said:

I'm absolutely stunned that someone who's made a handful of appearances in a provincial back water league, even compared to the the SPFL, hasn't hit the ground running here. 

This is a thread about Kuol isn't it?

What an amazingly ignorant comment. Take out Celtic and Rangers and the two leagues are similar standard.

The atmosphere at the matches is better in the Scottish league for sure, but you're kidding yourselves on the standard outside the top two.

• davemclaren changed the title to Nieuwenhof ( merged )