• Sooks

• GinRummy

• The Black Prince

• Chimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Black Prince
1 hour ago, Mick from Oz said:

What an amazingly ignorant comment. Take out Celtic and Rangers and the two leagues are similar standard.

The atmosphere at the matches is better in the Scottish league for sure, but you're kidding yourselves on the standard outside the top two.

While I agree superficially with this statement, it ignores the reality of the very different conditions of the two leagues. The AL is played in spring/summer/autumn on hard pitches in hot conditions. It is therefore slower than the SPL played across autumn/winter/spring in cool conditions on much softer pitches.

Most Scottish teams (including Celtic twice in recent years) would get beaten by AL teams in Australia, but the results would likely be very different if the matches were played in Scotland.

There is also much more pressure on the players in Scotland - mainly from fan expectation and media scrutiny but also because of the threat of relegation which the AL doesn't have, and will not be a proper league until it does.

When AL players come to Scotland they have a lot to get used to... the weather, the softer pitches (which can cause soft tissue injuries), the pace of the game and the pressure can take a fair bit of getting used to. But there is no lack of technical ability - which is why Oz has become a popular market for cheap football labour.

8 hours ago, OTT said:

Almost all of our success stories in recent times have been players that have hit the ground running. He's not done that, so I'm concerned. 

I would like us to sign Fuchs from Peterborough. Could be a very shrewd signing to sort out our midfield issues. 

Savage said we are done, so I'm afraid we are all out of Fuchs. 

I really like the look of this laddie. Thought he was really good against Partick. Wish we would give him a run of games. 

The Old Tolbooth
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Bunch of drama queens. This laddie will have a lot of people eating their words. 

Exactly! 

The amount of people writing this guy off before he's even had a chance to get over his jet lag, is criminal! Look at Oda, he took a while to settle in and he's doing fine for us now (apart from Sunday :lol:). The Hoff will be exactly the same and shove a lot of peoples words down their throats! 

When a new player joins, you look for a wee spark, or a quality that jumps out at you. I'm still not sure what this guys qualities are and he was pretty muchn invisible on his debut, a game where you'd expect him to be working his arse off to impress.

Looks like a standard centre mid you can pick up anywhere.

1 minute ago, OmiyaHearts said:

When a new player joins, you look for a wee spark, or a quality that jumps out at you. I'm still not sure what this guys qualities are and he was pretty muchn invisible on his debut, a game where you'd expect him to be working his arse off to impress.

Looks like a standard centre mid you can pick up anywhere.

I do get what you're saying about that wee spark and that can be an indication of how they'll turn out.  However it can work both ways, look at the likes of Tziolis. When he first arrived we thought we'd signed our very own Busquets. Cigar in his mouth dictating play. Fast forward a few games and he was absolutely pants. 

Will need to watch him a bit more for before I decide whether Calem is up to it or not. Unfair to judge him so soon IMO.

AussieObserver
On 29/08/2023 at 09:24, The Black Prince said:

The AL is played in spring/summer/autumn on hard pitches in hot conditions. It is therefore slower than the SPL played across autumn/winter/spring in cool conditions on much softer pitches.

Most Scottish teams (including Celtic twice in recent years) would get beaten by AL teams in Australia, but the results would likely be very different if the matches were played in Scotland.

There is also much more pressure on the players in Scotland - mainly from fan expectation and media scrutiny but also because of the threat of relegation which the AL doesn't have, and will not be a proper league until it does.

When AL players come to Scotland they have a lot to get used to... the weather, the softer pitches (which can cause soft tissue injuries), the pace of the game and the pressure can take a fair bit of getting used to. But there is no lack of technical ability - which is why Oz has become a popular market for cheap football labour.

This is a very sensible post. Football is also not the most popular sport in Australia, in terms of sheer number of fans and interest in the game. Many of the players, even the ones who eventually end up in Scotland, could have probably gone out to do their normal life routine away from the game, and not many would have recognised them.

I do rate the Hof and I believe he will come good, but I also believed he would need some time to transition to the Scottish league, just like pretty much any other player. It's just not going to happen in 120 minutes.

On 29/08/2023 at 00:13, Cruyff said:

Bunch of drama queens. This laddie will have a lot of people eating their words. 

This 👍

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Thought he was good today as well. Played a big part in the second goal with his tenacity

I was halfway through a rant about his shite first touch then he won it straight back, shut me up mid sentence 😄

I like him. We've scored 4 and are yet to concede with him on the pitch. Plus we've won all 3 games that he's played a part in which is admittedly far from all being down to him. 

I'll take that has a solid start in a new country. There's clearly more to come from him but he's not not done much wrong for a guy that some were writing off already.

I thought his positional awareness was excellent at times when he came on today.

2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Glad to hear he did well today - ridiculous comments from some to write him off after barely even kicking a ball for us.

Some people just have to make instant decisions on players. Even more so when results are poor. 

Created the opportunity for the second goal and was decent overall. Let the ball get away from him a couple of times with a poor touch.

Can see he needs a couple of games to fully find his rhythm, but there's a player in there for sure. 

Confidence is a big thing for any player and the crowd has a big part to play. It only takes a few sometimes that seem to take instant dislike to some players for no good reason, to rattle a players confidence especially a new signing. An early misplaced pass is sometimes all it takes to have them on the case. Well done Hoff. It was pleasing to see Rowles play well also and hope that can be a turning point, I felt it was maybe a confidence thing, we'll see. The defence looks a lot more settled when we are on the front foot rather than trying to contain. It was noticable that the backing is much better with positive tactics employed, well done all.

2 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Glad to hear he did well today - ridiculous comments from some to write him off after barely even kicking a ball for us.

He's not flashy but I think he has done ok since he arrived. Positionally sound, just needs more confidence to be more positive with the ball rather than safe. Will improve with more games. Good addition who hasn't deserved the negative OTT comments seen on here during and after his debut. I like him. 

The Black Prince

I had zero doubts about him. Seen him him play for a good three seasons or so and there's a pretty classy player in there.

Once he's adjusted and has his full confidence back he'll be a very good player in the SPL.

Eskilsson's Odyssey

I saw a couple of glimpses from him of a very good midfielder yesterday.

I suspect his confidence will build and those will become less glimpses and more the consistent norm.

1 minute ago, Eskilsson's Odyssey said:

I saw a couple of glimpses from him of a very good midfielder yesterday.

I suspect his confidence will build and those will become less glimpses and more the consistent norm.

Me too, and I also realised I've been a bit suspicious of him because he reminds me of Matt Hancock. Sorry Calem.

The Black Prince

Waiting to hear from Mercer on this thread who has been hounding the Hoff across every thread like he caught him pissing in his cornflakes.

Maybe he's changed his forum name?

6 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Waiting to hear from Mercer on this thread who has been hounding the Hoff across every thread like he caught him pissing in his cornflakes.

He like many others are not really targeting players it’s more aimed at Savage, Budge, The women’s team, the hotel take your pick. To busy moaning to enjoy the football. 

1 hour ago, The Black Prince said:

Bingo

Glad he did well.

He was called a project for development so I was never in the not good enough camp but knew that it would likely take a while for him to really show his potential and become a mainstay of the team. 

If he manages to do so earlier than expected that would be fantastic because our midfield is crying out for someone who plays that position naturally, with energy and uses the ball well. 

11 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Thought he was good today as well. Played a big part in the second goal with his tenacity

"His tenacity" was an excellent choice of words, as it definitely wasn't his close control.

Took a first touch with the sole of his shoe, it bounced away from him, second touch was poor and ricocheted off an Aberdeen player, does well to get it back, then his pass hits two Aberdeen players before falling to Boyce.

Excellent work from the Hof

He looks exactly the type of midfielder we have been crying out for.

Hopefully he can get a run of games beside Cammy and we can  see how consistent he can be.

On 28/08/2023 at 23:13, Cruyff said:

I think you will be spot on with this prediction, he strolled that yesterday when he came on. 

Jambof3tornado
12 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I like him. We've scored 4 and are yet to concede with him on the pitch. Plus we've won all 3 games that he's played a part in which is admittedly far from all being down to him. 

I'll take that has a solid start in a new country. There's clearly more to come from him but he's not not done much wrong for a guy that some were writing off already.

I thought his positional awareness was excellent at times when he came on today.

Much more ready for the pace of the game which was always going to take some time. I've a feeling once he's fully up to speed Beni wont get near the starting 11,especially if devlin keeps up his performance levels.

12 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

made the 2nd goal, guid game.

Just now, jr ewing said:

Good cover for Haring. 

Cover? Like Haring should be a starter every week? 

When Nieuwenhof is back to full fitness along with Beni, he becomes the cover. Even then Denholm would be a better option.

Corstorphine Jambo

I felt his introduction allowed us to keep the intensity up. He certainly contributed positively to the team performance - can’t ask much more from someone coming back from a few weeks out.

Going into the rest of the season, hopefully he can help the midfield push forward. 

7 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Him turning out to be decent would count against the narrative that we do not have enough good midfielders and that recruitment is shite . For some that narrative is more important than results and there will incredibly be a few who are disappointed that he did well

4 hours ago, indianajones said:

Id quite like to see him, Cammy and Beni in the middle together. 

Thought when Calem and Grant came on we played our best football. 

That’s no surprise, Hoff and Grant are ball players. 

But I agree with others that Devlin’s performance notably improved when the Hoff came on. 

What was pleasing is that he was quicker than I thought. He has a long stride so covers the ground, and he had a sprint with Duk at one point and didn’t really lose any ground. 

We have all been so negative about our midfield all season and I have maybe incorrectly written Beni off. If Calem can settle into the role it will be massive

for us.  

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Him turning out to be decent would count against the narrative that we do not have enough good midfielders and that recruitment is shite . For some that narrative is more important than results and there will incredibly be a few who are disappointed that he did well

Agree with some of this but the only reason that narrative is out there is because of the results. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Nieuwenhof ( merged )