• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• RobboM

50 for Root.

Badly needed, too many Bazballers getting a start and then getting out.

Aussies just ahead at the moment

32 minutes ago, merrymac said:

50 for Root.

Badly needed, too many Bazballers getting a start and then getting out.

Aussies just ahead at the moment

Yup, reckon England would have to reach 300 before losing another wicket to be up to par

10 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Yup, reckon England would have to reach 300 before losing another wicket to be up to par

reckon with the speed they score at and the Aussie batting line up they will need 500+ to play them out the game.

Looking unlikely now.

thehibsareintheirbeds

Two tame stampings after bairstow and Ali were looking good. Aussies will fancy this now

1 minute ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

Two tame stampings after bairstow and Ali were looking good. Aussies will fancy this now

Ali not looking the best selection now after that brain fart.

England look about 150 short

Malinga the Swinga

Should be looking at 500 plus on that wicket, today's conditions and winning toss.

Lyon proving vital for Aussies as England continue to give wickets away.

Said it yesterday, Root and Bairstow key for England as no-one else can build an innings.

Still, let's see what happens when Australia bat as you never know what wicket like till both sides bat.

I'm struggling to work out if this is a good or a bad innings so far. 350 is a great score so far, but something tells me if should be 500 plus to keep the Aussies at bay. 

Oh, Bairstow needs to stop eating.

It's good to see Joe play like he can, again. Captaincy was a burden on the lad. Class!

1 minute ago, JWL said:

Wow, didn’t expect an England declaration on 1st day!!!

Mental, but exciting. Let's see if it's a good call or not.

I like the mindset of Stokes, it makes Test cricket good to watch, even if they lose. This 5 day slog is a thing of the past.

How long do they have. This could be a masterstroke, the two oldies bowling for just an hour at full pelt. Many wickets???

Go get them England. Warner and Smith, a couple of dicks. But brilliant all the same.

4 wickets for the Aussie off spinner on day 1 😳

guess what? England have no front line spinner oops🤔

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, JWL said:

Wow, didn’t expect an England declaration on 1st day!!!

Didnt want their frontline bowlers wasting energy batting in this weather.

Whats the weather to be like to be like come Monday and that down there? Just wondering if rain has been a consideration in declaring now. 

Malinga the Swinga

Under 400 not good enough and declaration papering over cracks.

Two days of Australia batting and England facing 200 plus deficit will set it up nicely.

Australia to win by tea on 5th day by 5 or 6 wickets.

Malinga the Swinga
55 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is Joe Root England's greatest Batsman?

Nope, but he is getting there and is in conversation. Prefer Gower or Gooch myself and going further back, Amiss and Boycott.

Different game I guess with mo helmets, body protection or arm guards. You wouldn't play scoop shots without a helmet and certainly not against Roberts, Garner, Croft or Holding.

132goals1958

The earliest 1st innings declaration ever I believe. Would have thought Stokes would have wanted to squeeze another 30 - 40 runs particularly the form Root was on. Great entertainment though and all to play for.

🤣 never thought I'd be so intrigued by a team declaring. 

Guess we find out tomorrow how right he was. 

8 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Sadly, not much left of test cricket now aside England, Australia & India. It's withering by the year.
Folks' attention spans are too short these days.

England's cricket in Pakistan filled the stadiums. 

I agree with the wicket its advantage Australia.

But I think England will be happier. Playing 2 different sports. England won't lose wickets like that every time. Harry Brook a fluke. Some of the others too can't be relied on. The intensity of attack of England is now the norm. The highlight reel of the best shots today is incredible.

Australia also play a little like they know they are the best in the world and don't bother too much sometimes. They need to learn from today and play with more intensity and be less careless. And catches win matches.

But the key to the whole series is whether this slightly lesser England bowling attack can take the wickets. Moeen Ali crucial. Stokes plays very attacking cricket when they field too. A fascinating day ahead tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

🤣 never thought I'd be so intrigued by a team declaring. 

Guess we find out tomorrow how right he was. 

People saying it could have been due to the weather forecast with rain from Sunday afternoon. 

5 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Whats the weather to be like to be like come Monday and that down there? Just wondering if rain has been a consideration in declaring now. 

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

People saying it could have been due to the weather forecast with rain from Sunday afternoon. 

🤣 got my day wrong a bit but bloody cricket expert me! 

11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Not a great start. 

Unless he gets a huge score in the 2nd innings, I'd be tempted to drop Warner for the next test. Absolute walking wicket against England.

periodictabledancer
Just now, Sooperstar said:

Khawaja is going to score 200.

No much of a claim when he's on 96.:lol:

But , aye, he may well do . 

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

No much of a claim when he's on 96.:lol:

But , aye, he may well do . 

Not much of a claim to suggest he will get another 104 runs?! 

periodictabledancer
11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Not much of a claim to suggest he will get another 104 runs?! 

With his batting record ?  Not really. 

7 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

With his batting record ?  Not really. 

He has only just achieved his 15th test 100.

Lots of ebbs and flows to come but at the end of Day 2 Australia definitely on top. A far cry from what would have been expected after the start this morning. 

Malinga the Swinga

If Australia get a lead of 100, Lyon will be feeling good. Weather may play a part which would be a shame.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

He has only just achieved his 15th test 100.

Just checked. He does have highest test average of any opener in test cricket of those who have played 20 tests.

Was surprised about that but he has kicked on and looked pretty assured at wicket 

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Amazing how quickly it can all change. Cracking morning.

Half a hour before Australia were all out you'd have fancied them to get a lead of 100.

Malinga the Swinga

Can someone pass message to the Barmy Army guys that they aren't reeded to create an atmosphere on the Ashes.

Bunch of self indulgent pish heads constantly chanting gets on everyone else's nerves but they've been given so much latitude that they believe they are untouchable.

Before anyone moans, I have been to games where they are and they are disliked by majority.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Can someone pass message to the Barmy Army guys that they aren't reeded to create an atmosphere on the Ashes.

Bunch of self indulgent pish heads constantly chanting gets on everyone else's nerves but they've been given so much latitude that they believe they are untouchable.

Before anyone moans, I have been to games where they are and they are disliked by majority.

I love the more rowdy atmosphere at Edgbaston and they bring it for the England games. Fair enough at Lords or something where it's much more of a snooze fest.