• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• RobboM

Some of the games England won last year opposition made a big 1st innings score. New Zealand scored 553. India scored 416. 

Malinga the Swinga

Australia's day. If you get put in at Lord's and get over 300 in first day for 5 down, you'll be happy enough.

Smith scores a ton plus then England facing big first innings and they'll have to bat last on wicket that is already turning for Root. Lyon will be licking his lips at bowling, especially if England start coming down track to him.

England need to get Aussies out for 370 or less.

New Town Loafer
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It would be funny if Australia declared.

Would be amusing. 

Hope England can do a bit today, albeit weather meant to be poor so could be very disrupted. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Australia were 316 for 3.

It's a decent comeback by England. They need to bat well now. 

Aussies probably got 60/70 more than they should have having lost the toss - but at least 60/70 fewer than they should have got from 316 for 3.

big test of Bazball this, should be fun 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The key shot in all that was Green’s ludicrous dismissal. If he adds 20/30, Aussies are probably safe from defeat 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Aussies probably got 60/70 more than they should have having lost the toss - but at least 60/70 fewer than they should have got from 316 for 3.

big test of Bazball this, should be fun 

Though the pitch seems good. I'd say 400 is par.

Great test now. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Though the pitch seems good. I'd say 400 is par.

Great test now. 

Looked much harder to play this morning - suspect it’s not a 400 pitch any more.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Age seems to be catching up with Jimmy at last...shame but happens to everyone 

England are going to have to move on from him and broad soon. Broad’s still got lead in his pencil but you get the impression that he’s draining his last reserves now 

Off topic for the Ashes.

I'm a Somerset fan and was watching their recent County Championship match v Notts, they live stream on YouTube. Somerset won by 399 runs having been bowled out for 163 1st innings Apparently this is the biggest win from the lowest 1st innings score in First class cricket ever. Also, Somerset had a young 19 yo batter James Rew who hit his 4th century of the season in Somerset's second innings

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countychampionship/precociousness_james_rew_sets_up_somerset_notts_trouncing.html

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Really good reply from England so far. Crawley playing especially well

It's a great start but feels like edge of the seat stuff every ball compared to Aussie top 5 batting. Entertaining though and some shots are top class

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, RobboM said:

It's a great start but feels like edge of the seat stuff every ball compared to Aussie top 5 batting. Entertaining though and some shots are top class

They haven’t given away too many chances yet

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They haven’t given away too many chances yet

I'm a nervous watcher , years of bad experiences 😂

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, RobboM said:

I'm a nervous watcher , years of bad experiences 😂

If this pair can push 150, which they look like doing, England won’t finish far behind and might gain a lead 

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

If this pair can push 150, which they look like doing, England won’t finish far behind and might gain a lead 

Meanwhile I've got my eye on reaching the follow on target 😉

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Meanwhile I've got my eye on reaching the follow on target 😉

The weather looks pretty glorious, pitch not doing much now. Was better to bowl on this morning 

Malinga the Swinga

Crawley does what he does and out he goes, stumped to Lyon.

Root is key for England. Get him early and pressure on others will multiply 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Crawley does what he does and out he goes, stumped to Lyon.

Root is key for England. Get him early and pressure on others will multiply 

Like Australia, they need to get close to 300 with only two or three down 

Malinga the Swinga

So far not impressed with the wicket prepared at Lord's. 

They can't prepare spinning pitch, England don't have world class spinner, and they haven't produced bouncy one, hence no Mark Wood, and instead we have another flat pitch to help average batsmen (all bar Root) score quicker.

If weather holds, hopefully pitch will take spin on 4th or 5th day.

Fast bowlers must wonder what they've done wrong to be treated like this.

Malinga the Swinga
13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Both teams got away with some amount of inside edges so far

Having watched Scotland beat Ireland off last ball with classic inside edge, I won't complain.

Eventually though, that luck will turn.

Malinga the Swinga

Lyon goes off injured. English luck continues as batsman had no idea where ball had gone.

They really are ***** of highest order

17 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Lyon goes off injured. English luck continues as batsman had no idea where ball had gone.

They really are ***** of highest order

Swings and roundabouts. Australia rode their luck yesterday, especially first session.

Lyon injury is massive 

19 minutes ago, Boris said:

Swings and roundabouts. Australia rode their luck yesterday, especially first session.

Lyon injury is massive 

I've only just seen that. Shame  for the guy, he had set a record of consecutive appearances going into the game
Edit
It was his 100th consecutive game and the 6th person to do it. The first bowler however

Edited by RobboM

Malinga the Swinga

By all means play aggressively but that was rank stupidly from England.

They have handed 3 wickets to Australia for no reason other than brainless acts

Root even had a let off with no ball and still didn't learn 

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Is Brook trying to get himself out with some of these swings? 

There must be an element of feeling excessive pressure to stick to the programme - to go for shots even though common sense asks for a different approach, just because it’s what you’re expected to do.

Wonder if Bazball will come to be seen as an isolated moment in time, which disappears eventually rather than spreading - and nobody quite sure if it made sense.

4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Off topic for the Ashes.

I'm a Somerset fan and was watching their recent County Championship match v Notts, they live stream on YouTube. Somerset won by 399 runs having been bowled out for 163 1st innings Apparently this is the biggest win from the lowest 1st innings score in First class cricket ever. Also, Somerset had a young 19 yo batter James Rew who hit his 4th century of the season in Somerset's second innings

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countychampionship/precociousness_james_rew_sets_up_somerset_notts_trouncing.html

Been watching games this year. Watched Steve Smith playing for Sussex. Watched Lancashire beat Surrey this week. And Yorkshire games. Good cricket. 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There must be an element of feeling excessive pressure to stick to the programme - to go for shots even though common sense asks for a different approach, just because it’s what you’re expected to do.

Wonder if Bazball will come to be seen as an isolated moment in time, which disappears eventually rather than spreading - and nobody quite sure if it made sense.

So far it's done in my order of achievement 

1. Brought full house crowds to the games in Pakistan. Every day. 

2. Beat Pakistan 3-0 away from home the only side ever to do that. Played attacking cricket especially bowling to do it.

3. Beat India and New Zealand after conceding over 400 and 500 runs first innings.  Overall they played a series of attacking final innings last summer.

4. Break records every game. Mainly from their scoring. Scored 500 runs in a day twice. A host of individual records. 

The issue they face is they don't have the best players notably their bowling attack. They are needing some other batsmen to come through. Notably versus Australia here and then India this coming winter the bowling is second best. In terms of the batting it hasn't actually always been crash, bang wallop. They have lost stupid wickets. 

The main thing I'd say is they have only been doing this for a year. With guys like Brook, Pope (who will be captain within a couple of years when Stokes body gives up), getting more experience it will most likely get better. 

Just need the bowlers to come through.

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The other thing is McCullum and Stokes are taking all the pressure off the players. They were criticised for being  too casual yesterday but that's the point. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The other thing is McCullum and Stokes are taking all the pressure off the players. They were criticised for being  too casual yesterday but that's the point. 

That was by Michael Vaughan and I have to say, he gives the impression of wishing he was the only England captain ever to win the Ashes. Big chip on his shoulder 

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Bazball will get finessed over time I reckon.

Balance between sensible and being on the front foot.

At the moment though, what it is doing is producing very exciting, watchable test cricket. 

11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That was by Michael Vaughan and I have to say, he gives the impression of wishing he was the only England captain ever to win the Ashes. Big chip on his shoulder 

Agree. Total prick. Add Pietersen to that too.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Boris said:

Bazball will get finessed over time I reckon.

Balance between sensible and being on the front foot.

At the moment though, what it is doing is producing very exciting, watchable test cricket. 

Can’t argue with that, these two tests have been ace

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Can’t argue with that, these two tests have been ace

Was saying that to the Mrs earlier. She just looked confused and said she was happy for me. 🤣

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Agree. Total prick. Add Pietersen to that too.

He wades in at any opportunity. As a player, I’d find his tone quite hard to accept, despite his track record. He was right, England were a bit slack yesterday but he was classing that as not being bothered which is totally unfair.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Was saying that to the Mrs earlier. She just looked confused and said she was happy for me. 🤣

It’s like our lass when she reads the letters pages in the Viz. “That doesn’t make any sense.” Yes, that’s the point…

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s like our lass when she reads the letters pages in the Viz. “That doesn’t make any sense.” Yes, that’s the point…

🤣

Ironically Mrs B is a big fan of those. Cricket may take longer...