The Ashes 2023

ri Alban

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Boris said:

Excellent test match.

For me, the declaration wasn't the issue. England's thin spin options were. Can't legislate for Moen's injury, but Root's last over going for 14 swung it for the Aussies. IMO 

And the horrendous fielding.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• RobboM

Just now, periodictabledancer said:

And the horrendous fielding.

Bairstow had his moments during the match 🙄 but also had some good catches too.  Yesterday, some of the outfield fielding was pretty good, although the winning boundary seemed rather farcical!

Fantastic viewing and it's set up to be a tremendous series. For the record, since Australia won back The Ashes in 1989 there have been something like 18 series played with the side winning the first test going on to win the series no fewer than 13 times. Only twice in those 18 series have the side losing the first test gone on to win the series (1997 and 2005). Think this is going to be hell of a tight one.

A familiar response of the English defeat has been to find fault in England basically summarised as 'be more careful'. 

It's right that they got some things wrong but I do think they are still learning. They are just getting started. Some of the players are still getting used to the attacking approach. They are fitting in some players who won't be first choice soon.  

But this also happened. 2 matches that previously would have been boring draws have ended in the most exciting ever finishes. England lost to New Zealand by 1 run in February then yesterday. All from England's approach. 

I don't quite know what Stokes and McCullum mean when they say they aren't bothered about winning because they clearly are. 

They say they want to make test cricket successful. As I said in Pakistan they filled the grounds with England playing recently. More to come. 

Australia could win 5-0 and it might still be brilliant. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

A familiar response of the English defeat has been to find fault in England basically summarised as 'be more careful'. 

It's right that they got some things wrong but I do think they are still learning. They are just getting started. Some of the players are still getting used to the attacking approach. They are fitting in some players who won't be first choice soon.  

But this also happened. 2 matches that previously would have been boring draws have ended in the most exciting ever finishes. England lost to New Zealand by 1 run in February then yesterday. All from England's approach. 

I don't quite know what Stokes and McCullum mean when they say they aren't bothered about winning because they clearly are. 

They say they want to make test cricket successful. As I said in Pakistan they filled the grounds with England playing recently. More to come. 

Australia could win 5-0 and it might still be brilliant. 

I think what they mean is that they’re not bothered about winning at all costs. They want to win but they also want to play a certain way

8 needed from the last over for Scotland. Irish fielder fumbles a ball which would have been 2 runs and it goes for 4 from the first ball. 

1 from ball 2.

Wicket ball 3.

3 runs now needed from 3 balls. 

2 needed from the last ball. The cricket team have taken over from the football team...

Edged for 4! Scotland win! 

Came on to see if anybody else had caught the finish to that match! Haha great stuff. 

I love they games too where it pans to the small crowd and there will just be a group of locals who cheer for anything looking half drunk just enjoying the cricket having a good day out. 

Unreal win for Scotland.  I used to live about 100 metres from Queens Sports Club in Bulawayo.  Saw most of the top sides play there.  Would have been amazing to have been there today.

Malinga the Swinga

Have up when we were 150 off for 7. Fantastic performance to get the win and make Irelands route very difficult.

Can't believe they pulled that off.

willie wallace
54 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Have up when we were 150 off for 7. Fantastic performance to get the win and make Irelands route very difficult.

Can't believe they pulled that off.

What a finish.

Any idea where you can see decent highlights

I watched something on YouTube but it was hopeless.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 hours ago, Boris said:

Bairstow had his moments during the match 🙄 but also had some good catches too.  Yesterday, some of the outfield fielding was pretty good, although the winning boundary seemed rather farcical!

Yeah, I thought that about the last boundary. Ollie Robinson, who quite honestly behaved like a dick throughout, seemed to be on sedatives 

Malinga the Swinga
48 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

What a finish.

Any idea where you can see decent highlights

I watched something on YouTube but it was hopeless.

Mikey has posted link above and pretty sure there's highlights on Scottish cricket website. If you have sky, there are highlights tonight on sky sports cricket at midnight. Think I'll record them and watch on comfort tomorrow. Not On Demand yet.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

Classic bottom edge past keeper to win. You ain't setting a field for that. In fact, we seemed to hit at least three of them in highlights above. 

We know the story of how the Ashes came into being...so why is the England v Australia women's game being referred to as 'the Ashes'?

Just because it's England v Australia?  

5 minutes ago, Boof said:

We know the story of how the Ashes came into being...so why is the England v Australia women's game being referred to as 'the Ashes'?

Taking a wild guess I'd say aye.

20 minutes ago, Boof said:

Yep. 

It's one of the things I don't like that they do with women's sport. Let them do away, maybe their main rivalry will turn out to be with some other nation. I don't get the need for it be a total mirror of the men. 

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Yep. 

It's one of the things I don't like that they do with women's sport. Let them do away, maybe their main rivalry will turn out to be with some other nation. I don't get the need for it be a total mirror of the men. 

They mirror the men's game in order to sell tickets.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They mirror the men's game in order to sell tickets.

Does it even work? 

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It would appear so.

Screenshot_20230623-122926_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fair enough if it worked based on the marketing. 

I would expect in thar 13 years though other things have drummed up interest? 

Aw well if folk are buying into it fair enough. I always thought it would be more enjoyable to see what rivalries and the like emerged organically within women's sport. 

1 hour ago, Boof said:

The Gashes?

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Boof said:

You’re right, this isn’t “the Ashes” and has **** all to do with it.  Just the usual Sky pish trying to market it and make something insignificant appear more significant. 

Fozzyonthefence
57 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Fair enough if it worked based on the marketing. 

I would expect in thar 13 years though other things have drummed up interest? 

Aw well if folk are buying into it fair enough. I always thought it would be more enjoyable to see what rivalries and the like emerged organically within women's sport. 

It appears adopting a fake history has been a successful marketing ploy.  However, surely women’s sport can’t keep piggy backing onto the success and funding of men’s sport.  There has to be a point where, if it is going to be professional, it has to be able to stand on its own two feet or just go back to being amateur / semi professional.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well done Scotland.

Bog games coming up with Sri Lanka following game v Oman in next few days.

Win one, or both, and guaranteed to get into super six with some points in bank and possible place in top 2.

Problem is Sri Lanka, West Indies and Zimbabwe will almost certainly be there and top two will be incredibly hard to reach.

Malinga the Swinga

Next month the T20 World Cup (2024) qualifiers are in Edinburgh. As with the current 50 over, it's 2 qualifiers but unlike this its not as hard opponents. 

https://www.cricketscotland.com/2023-international-cricket-icc/

It would be disappointing to not make top two in this. Only thing is weather disruption that could cost points.

Malinga the Swinga
47 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Are Ireland s test team now? 

They are. Haven't won one yet though 

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

37 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They are. Haven't won one yet though 

👍 

Hopefully Scotland can reach such heights. 

What's happened to Sri Lanka?

16 hours ago, RobboM said:

Scotland v Ireland is a sell out. I've got my ticket 🙂

Mental that this is a weekday and not a Saturday or Sunday 

55 minutes ago, JWL said:

Mental that this is a weekday and not a Saturday or Sunday 

You've got domestic league cricket on Saturdays, that's going to involve a big chunk of the viewing public. At least it's 15:30 kick off, get an early finish or half day 🙂

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

You've got domestic league cricket on Saturdays, that's going to involve a big chunk of the viewing public. At least it's 15:30 kick off, get an early finish or half day 🙂

Genius Grange have only 2 home games in July so thought it could have been arranged around that. Not a great fan of 20/20 so wouldn't take time off to go. Hope it's the right result for you though. On another note, was thinking of heading down to sit in the sun and watch Grange at home next Saturday, anyone any idea of admission prices and if you can take in a few cold beers?

5 minutes ago, JWL said:

Genius Grange have only 2 home games in July so thought it could have been arranged around that. Not a great fan of 20/20 so wouldn't take time off to go. Hope it's the right result for you though. On another note, was thinking of heading down to sit in the sun and watch Grange at home next Saturday, anyone any idea of admission prices and if you can take in a few cold beers?

It's free, just go in.

Not sure about the beers as they have a bar. 

5 minutes ago, JWL said:

I've played there v Grange a couple of times back in the day. Can't imagine anyone would have dipped their hand in their pocket to watch that 🙂 It's a members club and i've only been in the bar post match. Can't imagine anyone would object to you pitching up with your own supplies though. Enjoy
Not a big T20 fan either but watching a live game in a sellout crowd should be worth it

17 minutes ago, JWL said:

I was meaning that hundreds of league cricketers & club officials will have matches on Saturdays (not just Grange) who would be CricketScotland members and keen to be there.👍

7 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I've played there v Grange a couple of times back in the day. Can't imagine anyone would have dipped their hand in their pocket to watch that 🙂 It's a members club and i've only been in the bar post match. Can't imagine anyone would object to you pitching up with your own supplies though. Enjoy
Not a big T20 fan either but watching a live game in a sellout crowd should be worth it

@Mikey1874 confirmed it's free entry. Used to take beers in to Saltires games so as you say, can't see it being an issue. Would have definitely gone to the Ireland game had it been at the weekend, should be an entertaining afternoon.

Got you now with the league cricket stuff👍

Edited by JWL