The Ashes 2023

ri Alban

Not long now, until Australia take on England for the wee urn. 

Cannae wait. It will go the distance this time. 

How do you think it will go and who will be the star players?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• RobboM

• 2 weeks later...
Mikey1874

Marcus Labuschagne versus Johnny Bairstow currently playing each other just now.

Steve Smith playing for Sussex

All County Championship games streamed live on YouTube

Malinga the Swinga

Reckon it's Root and Barstow v Smith and Labuschagne.

Hopefully Australia demolish England and send Broad/Anderson into well deserved retirement.

Stokes doesn't look fit but will chip in on odd occasion but can't rely on him for series.

Very close but only because it's under English conditions and the Duke ball. I'm going for 2-2 with one washout and Australia to retain The Ashes.

• 2 weeks later...

England have their own questions.

Ben Stokes potentially might be out injured. Certainly looks unlikely to be able to bowl. People saying Jofra Archer unlikely to play due to injury. England bowling attack facing questions. 

• 1 month later...

Can't wait. Day off on Friday so pub from 1st ball till last. Still think it will be very tight and the 1st test is absolutely crucial. Think the Australia team basically picks itself apart from who which 2 bowlers from Hazelwood, Boland and Starc will get the nod. Tough call.

New Town Loafer

Such a bloody exciting sporting fixture. Australia attack v Bazball. How good?

Despite England wanting to win I absolutely love Steve Smith. A joy to watch.

I hope not, but I think the Aussies will win this series easily. I don't think any will go to the final day. Stokes being not 100% and the bowling attack, well let's not talk about that, makes for a drubbing. 

But it's sport and anything can happen.

Mon England! 🏏

Edited by ri Alban

New Town Loafer
10 hours ago, Jeff said:

Travis Head will be the one to watch

Entire middle order really. Once you get rid of Warner/Khawaja you’re faced with Labuschagne, Smith, Head and Green. Then you’ve got a couple of the bowlers like Cummins and Starc who are good for a knock. No easy wickets for England.

Toss absolutely crucial tomorrow. Win it and bat all day and the opposition will have to rotate their bowlers every 5 overs or so as the heat will be exhausting for them. If Australia win the toss then it could well decide the entire series as Anderson at 40 and a partially restricted Stokes could struggle with rotating the quicks. I don't think Moeen is a particularly proficient wicket taker but would more than likely be there to hold up an end, that is until Smith, Head & co come after him. Cam actually see Root having more of a bowl than Moeen.

7 minutes ago, JWL said:

Toss absolutely crucial tomorrow. Win it and bat all day and the opposition will have to rotate their bowlers every 5 overs or so as the heat will be exhausting for them. If Australia win the toss then it could well decide the entire series as Anderson at 40 and a partially restricted Stokes could struggle with rotating the quicks. I don't think Moeen is a particularly proficient wicket taker but would more than likely be there to hold up an end, that is until Smith, Head & co come after him. Cam actually see Root having more of a bowl than Moeen.

So the toss of as coin dictates the probable winner.

19 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

Just speculation based on order of play. They'd still you know, actually have to bat and not get bowled out. 

pharmaceutical01
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

And Scott Boland fast bowler.

Think the Aussies will go with Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood for the 1st Test...a couple of Boland's wickets were Indian players leaving straight balls from being undercooked..

That being said, the Aussies looked far too good for England, bazball or not. I think 4-0 Aussies but I hope not

Edited by pharmaceutical01
Spelling

2 hours ago, DaveyT said:

Whilst it won't obviously decide the eventual winners, I think that it is a massive toss to win tomorrow as whoever does win it will certainly bat first and try to get as many runs on the board as quickly as possible (unlike Nasser in Australia c2003). Not quite sure of the actual stats, but history will tell you that whoever wins the first test, more often than not wins the series.

13 minutes ago, JWL said:

Whilst it won't obviously decide the eventual winners, I think that it is a massive toss to win tomorrow as whoever does win it will certainly bat first and try to get as many runs on the board as quickly as possible (unlike Nasser in Australia c2003). Not quite sure of the actual stats, but history will tell you that whoever wins the first test, more often than not wins the series.

Well apart from Australia in England though its been 50:50 with 2 wins apiece and 1 draw.

2005 Australia won first test, lost 2-1

2009 was first test Jimmy Anderson and Monty Panesar just held on for draw.

2019 Australia won first test, drew series.

England won in 2013 and 2015.

Edited by Mikey1874

Dennis Denuto

Both teams are very similar in make up - vulnerable openers, strong middle order, very skilled but ageing bowling attacks - where they differ though is spinner. Australia have a far superior spin option so I see that as a crucial aspect for England, can they get after Lyon and not let him settle. Also expect very green wickets for the start of the games, England don't want it to turn.

Dennis Denuto
10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I hope not, but I think the Aussies will win this series easily. I don't think any will go to the final day. Stokes being not 100% and the bowling attack, well let's not talk about that, makes for a drubbing. 

But it's sport and anything can happen.

Mon England! 🏏

How very Hoose Jock of you!!

23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well apart from Australia in England though its been 50:50 with 2 wins apiece and 1 draw.

2005 Australia won first test, lost 2-1

2009 was first test Jimmy Anderson and Monty Panesar just held on for draw.

2019 Australia won first test, drew series.

England won in 2013 and 2015.

As I said, I'm not sure of the full stats but I was going a bit further back than 2005. 

Fantastic sport, and fantastic competition. If you don't like test cricket you're a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bottom feeder with the attention span of a gold fish.

21 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Such a bloody exciting sporting fixture. Australia attack v Bazball. How good?

Despite England wanting to win I absolutely love Steve Smith. A joy to watch.

Steve cheat Smith?

New Town Loafer
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Steve cheat Smith?

The very one. #GOAT

4 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

The very one. #GOAT

You're right though, he's brilliant and if England can't get him out, then they won't win

Malinga the Swinga

Hope Australia tear England and their bazball apart.

Stokes talks, and doesn't stop talking, a good game but this attacking approach is nothing new, it's what Aussies have done for years and what West Indies did in 70's and 80's.

Target Root and Bairstow and rest of England will crumble.

England have one paced attack, have crawled to get Moeen out of test retirement because they have nothing coming through in Spain department, and will struggle to get 20 wickets, unless they manipulate wickets but if they do that, Australia have attack to take advantage.

4-0 Aussies with one draw because of rain. Stokes to be found out as tactical novice with massive cracks appearing in English side 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 25/04/2023 at 18:51, ri Alban said:

Not long now, until Australia take on England for the wee urn. 

Cannae wait. It will go the distance this time. 

How do you think it will go and who will be the star players?

I think England will edge it

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Hope so. But Australia look terrifyingly good. 

Team selection is a bit off for me, anaw. Broad in because he was brilliant 4 years ago. 🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hope so. But Australia look terrifyingly good. 

Team selection is a bit off for me, anaw. Broad in because he was brilliant 4 years ago. 🤦‍♂️

He is still taking wickets though

image.png

10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Hopefully right into the hands of the man at third slip. 

12 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Hope Australia tear England and their bazball apart.

Stokes talks, and doesn't stop talking, a good game but this attacking approach is nothing new, it's what Aussies have done for years and what West Indies did in 70's and 80's.

Target Root and Bairstow and rest of England will crumble.

England have one paced attack, have crawled to get Moeen out of test retirement because they have nothing coming through in Spain department, and will struggle to get 20 wickets, unless they manipulate wickets but if they do that, Australia have attack to take advantage.

4-0 Aussies with one draw because of rain. Stokes to be found out as tactical novice with massive cracks appearing in English side 

England have done their talking on the park

22 hours ago, JWL said:

41 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So who will win the second test? Only thing the Aussies can hope for is torrential rain next couple of days and grab a draw

Strong start from England so far. Aussies need to get Crawley out soon I'd say. Good return off of 65 balls. Joe Root will no doubt get into his stride after tea break. Those 2 combined could put the Aussies under real pressure.

John Gentleman
18 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Fantastic sport, and fantastic competition. If you don't like test cricket you're a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bottom feeder with the attention span of a gold fish.

Sadly, not much left of test cricket now aside England, Australia & India. It's withering by the year.
Folks' attention spans are too short these days.