Naismith, Forrest and McAvoy to end of the season ( updated/merged )

Thomaso

45 minutes ago, OTT said:

Thats interesting, cogs already in movement then?

No idea, can’t say for certain, I was discussing the situation, mentioned Naismith, and McEvoys name came straight back as the alternative 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Fozzyonthefence

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, weaz1981 said:

Robbo was the first name in my head but as above, I'd hate to see the support turn against him....TBF had exactly the same fear last time 

Im not sure he would take it anyway, had to step back from management at Inverness for personal reasons, sister passed away, but never went back to it. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Im not sure he would take it anyway, had to step back from management at Inverness for personal reasons, sister passed away, but never went back to it. 

Sounded like he'd be into it on scarves around the funnel

Pasquale for King

Definitely need something different and SN would be that.
If we dont act quickly we will struggle to get 3rd. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Aberdeen and Motherwell promoted existing first team coaches who have experience and respect of the squad.

Naismith has neither 

No, he’s higher than that - he’s s coach with the national team.   I’m sure as an excellent ex player and SFA Hall of Famer, he would have plenty respect from the squad. Your apparent hatred of him is coming across as pretty irrational to be honest. 

Aberdeen took a big gamble with Robson and so far it is paying off. It could net them millions of pounds in a surprise bonus that they couldn’t possibly have imagined a couple of months ago. 

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

It would be easier to sack him if we hadn't given him a new bumper contact for no reason.

Because we have, seems unlikely we will pay him off.

No one gets a severance pay in one go

any payment would be paid up over the remainder of his contract 

and then only until he gets another job

Pasquale for King
Just now, weaz1981 said:

Sounded like he'd be into it on scarves around the funnel

Hadn’t heard that, would definitely get more out of our undoubted attacking talent. Three shots on target today 🤦🏽.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Still lives there too which I believe was an issue when he was East Fife manager. 

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Most managers start off as coaches don’t they?  They have to get their coaching badges before they become a manager.  So if it was down to you there would never be any new managers, just the constant merry go round of Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce, Roy Hodgson, Neil Warnock, etc?

We’ve tried McPhee.  Like Cathro, he’s not a man manager.  

You seem to be basing SN’s managerial credentials on how he struggled as a player when he was basically finished due to injury.  Not really relevant. 

What is everyone basing his managerial credentials on ? Because he was a decent player and won things with rangers ?

Leadership and born winner are just buzz word everyone is throwing around as if they are measurable or valid. His leadership or born winner credentials were not evident when his football skills deserted him.

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Aberdeen and Motherwell promoted existing first team coaches who have experience and respect of the squad.

Naismith has neither 

Naismith was a better footballer, played and was coached at a higher t level than anyone at the club.

one thing he will have is respect 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Naismith was a better footballer, played and was coached at a higher t level than anyone at the club.

So was Snodgrass 

10 minutes ago, mr fox said:

100% a natural born winner would put him in right now. 
Naismith yes please 

Justify this please, just so I can get my head around it.

Who else would you call a natural born winner ?

Just now, jambopilms said:

So was Snodgrass 

I doubt if SN would have given Snodgrass free rein to destroy our already struggling midfield. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

I doubt if SN would have given Snodgrass free rein to destroy our already struggling midfield. 

Like Naismith was a few years prior 

Naisys Tackle
17 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Naismith has neither 

Why would someone like Steven Naismith not have the respect of the squad?   

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Barry Robson was a coach in the first team, not farmed out to the youths because we were contracted to give him a job.

He was b team manager not part of Goodwins set up. Kettlewell wasnt a 1st team coach either. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Still lives there too which I believe was an issue when he was East Fife manager. 

Yeah I think his partner is from up there. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was b team manager not part of Goodwins set up. Kettlewell wasnt a 1st team coach either. 

Aberdeen don't have a B team but ok sorry thought they were already part of the set up 

Pasquale for King

Aberdeen don't have a B team but ok sorry thought they were already part of the set up 

Just going by what transfer market said, he was u18s coach the caretaker when Glass left then B team manager apparently. Shows that it can work, he and Kettlewell look to be close to the players and seem to get 100% effort from them. 
I have no idea if SN would though. 

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Why does he demand automatic respect? Because he won things with Rangers ? Like Lee McCoulloch did.

It takes a lot more than pointing and moaning and being an ex good player because everyone is just describing Snodgrass.

Naisys Tackle

Why does he demand automatic respect? Because he won things with Rangers ? Like Lee McCoulloch did.

It takes a lot more than pointing and moaning and being an ex good player because everyone is just describing Snodgrass.

No, I'm asking why he wouldn't have the respect?  

McCulloch is a failed football manager already.

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

No, I'm asking why he wouldn't have the respect?  

McCulloch is a failed football manager already.

And Naismith isn't exactly setting the heather alight with the B team.

I don't know if he does or doesn't have the respect of the team, I'm just saying that it's not a 100% fact like folk are saying.

If he was such a born winner, why hasn't he been snapped up or even mentioned in the other vacancies that have come up ?

Doctor FinnBarr
22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Thought he was brilliant on the pitch, pointing and shouting at others where to go. I know it was to do with injury he retired but it was much to early.

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

I reckon I’d do a better job than Neilson to be honest, Joe Savage has my number 🇱🇻

Stop taking the piss Hobbit

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I don't know if he does or doesn't have the respect of the team, I'm just saying that it's not a 100% fact like folk are saying.

If he was such a born winner, why hasn't he been snapped up or even mentioned in the other vacancies that have come up ?

38 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Naismith has neither 

You could ask the same about why Robbies never mentioned?  Or Robson while at Aberdeen coaching?  

Naismiths high regarded or Steve Clarke wouldn't have taken him to the Nation Team.  He's also coaching and learning competitively. 

You are just dismissing the notion through sheer pig headedness. 

heartsfc_fan

As a stop gap he's the obvious choice tbh.

I can't see it happening yet though. Neilson has 8 games to save the season. 5 of those games will be at home so he might, just, get away with it.

We do need a good shake up though. The alarming lack of a big 6"5 central defender who can lead from the back is clear as day. Snodgrass isn't the answer in midfield.

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

You could ask the same about why Robbies never mentioned?  Or Robson while at Aberdeen coaching?  

Naismiths high regarded or Steve Clarke wouldn't have taken him to the Nation Team.  He's also coaching and learning competitively. 

You are just dismissing the notion through sheer pig headedness. 

Just not buying into the born winner/ leader myth that folk spit out but don't back it up with anything and I didn't buy it when folk were saying it when he was as bad as Snodgrass on the pitch.

Austin Mcphee works with the Scotland squad and doesn't make a good manager. 

Football First doesn't think he would be a good choice, what does he know. His opinion means more than folk saying 100% born winner. What does that actually mean ??

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Just not buying into the born winner/ leader myth that folk spit out but don't back it up with anything and I didn't buy it when folk were saying it when he was as bad as Snodgrass on the pitch.

Austin Mcphee works with the Scotland squad and doesn't make a good manager. 

Football First doesn't think he would be a good choice, what does he know. His opinion means more than folk saying 100% born winner. What does that actually mean ??

Fair enough.

McPhee was there before Clarke and is set piece coach, Naismith was taken by Clarke.  

No idea tbh.  Not bothered about the winner part but he could be a fantastic up and coming coach/manager.  He could be piss.  Worse than Robbie has us now? 

Dougie Masterton
31 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Maybe he has been approached by others but is waiting for Neilson to get binned? 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I’d give neilson the st mirren game - must win and if he does I’d probably continue with him and hope our home form gets us over the line - and then hopefully part ways at the end of the season or give him very tough (but realistic) targets or binned next season (eg 3rd and progress in away form and progress in performance (at least) against old firm)

first blip he needs binned and I wouldn’t be against naisy taking over although plenty born winners / winners as players / greatly respected within the game have not always translated to successful managers - Alan Shearer being an obvious example in his short-term at Newcastle

3 or 4 years worth of foh contributions now riding on the next few games when it should have been all but a formality 

if only Aberdeen had not made that really stupid decision to change their manager we could have relied on hibs hibsing it and would have only had the mighty Stephen Robinson not-inspired (as managers have  no affect) st mirren to fight off

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

As a stop gap he's the obvious choice tbh.

I can't see it happening yet though. Neilson has 8 games to save the season. 5 of those games will be at home so he might, just, get away with it.

We do need a good shake up though. The alarming lack of a big 6"5 central defender who can lead from the back is clear as day. Snodgrass isn't the answer in midfield.

We don’t know who we will get at home though as the uglies will get looked after 1st, they might both be heading back here unfortunately. 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, jambopilms said:

As I posted on the B Team thread, there has been an improvement in the B team's performance as the season has progressed (11 points for the first 15 games, 30 points for the next 16 games). Is that down to the coaching, or down to the players themselves getting used to playing against adults? Probably a bit of both.

My criticism of him is based on the style of play, which is too similar to that adopted by Neilson for my liking. On that basis, I don't think he would be a good choice at this time.

Barney bulge
2 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Justify this please, just so I can get my head around it.

Who else would you call a natural born winner ?

😂😂😂

natural born winner 

my granny used to love to win at tiddly winks. Can I class her in the same bracket !!!!! 

Barney bulge
Just now, Barney bulge said:

😂😂😂

natural born winner 

my granny used to love to win at tiddly winks. Can I class her in the same bracket !!!!! 

Where are his b team anyways ? 
just out of curiosity 

Im guessing they are a bag of utter tripe who will be warming the bench for Tranent juniors at best in next 5 years 

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

As I posted on the B Team thread, there has been an improvement in the B team's performance as the season has progressed (11 points for the first 15 games, 30 points for the next 16 games). Is that down to the coaching, or down to the players themselves getting used to playing against adults? Probably a bit of both.

My criticism of him is based on the style of play, which is too similar to that adopted by Neilson for my liking. On that basis, I don't think he would be a good choice at this time.

Thats interesting FF, I'd assumed from previous threads that Naismith set the team up in a different formation so may have had his own ideas and approach. 

It struck me as weird at the time, as I'd assumed the first team and B team should play the same to maximise the ability of youngsters to step up and slot in. But from what you've said there it sounds like similar way but different formation? 

TBH it all sounds a bit disjointed. Robbies way of playing seems too manager driven which means when we change, so too does the way of playing. Like rather than have a set club way of playing, the manager has dictated it and we're backfilling from that point, rather than recruiting a manager that plays the 'Hearts way' (if that makes sense, similar to Ajax or Barca where they have a very defined way of playing and everything at the club is structured and geared to support that)

ViewfromtheEast
5 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He is not Mr Popular. Even I could tell you that. 

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Has he not been ‘instructed’ to have the B team play the same way as the first team so we have continuity throughout the club and when these lads step up they’ve already mastered the sideways pass, the overwhelmed dual holding midfield role, failing to stop crosses, failing to defend crosses and playing regularly out of position 

Naisys Tackle
18 minutes ago, ViewfromtheEast said:

A Hobo with exclusive scoops on stuff going on at HMFC?   Hmmm sounds a bit familiar but pardon me for not believing you. 

Robbie is still a better than wee Lee btw :lol: 

ViewfromtheEast
3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

A Hobo with exclusive scoops on stuff going on at HMFC?   Hmmm sounds a bit familiar but pardon me for not believing you. 

Robbie is still a better than wee Lee btw :lol: 

Edinburgh is a small city. 

Bad day all round today. Grim stuff at ER. You aren't the only team with keeper problems, that's for sure. 

Re your second point. Kinda...😉

Edited by ViewfromtheEast

10 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Played at the highest level, a winner, a fighter, takes no shit, a motivator.

He never showed himself as a motivator when captain.   

If we do replace Neilson, there is no point in replacing him with Naismith.  

Edited by Paolo

9 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Coaching is not the same as a manager. Austin Mcphee is a coach with Scotland, maybe we should try him out

I’d try out Nanny McPhee right now as she couldn’t be any worse than the dross we’ve seen lately.

Changes the formation yesterday and still persists with Smith and Snoddy. Robbie if you’re reading this, it’s not the formation it’s your lazy arsed and over the hill players you keep trying. If it doesn’t work first time then don’t keep trying it as you’re making yourself, your labourers (not good enough to call them assistant coaches) and our loyal fans look stupid. 

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We don’t know who we will get at home though as the uglies will get looked after 1st, they might both be heading back here unfortunately. 

I’m pretty certain we’d be off to parkhead for a 3rd time. Would suit us to have the wee team and the sheep at home along with 6th place and play the ugly sisters both away. We’re not beating them at home so we’ll trundle through with our pants already pulled down in anticipation for the inevitable M8 east pumping 

Naismith, good call!........Ann will no doubt say after weeks of so called searching "The answer /solution was just along the corridor all along!"........The board need to stop sitting on their hands and start earning their money.....It's just not acceptable......Urgent need for change. 

12 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Naismith has neither 

How do you know an International player who had a fantastic career playing at the highest level does not have the respect of the squad?

6 hours ago, ViewfromtheEast said:

How do you know that? 

Jefferies and brown, locke and Robbo are laughable shouts even until the end of the season. 

I wouldnt want Naismith either. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Naismith, Forrest and McAvoy to end of the season ( updated/merged )