***Official Hibernian v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Just now, hisnameis said:

Nonsense. Haring is quicker than Snoddy and Halliday but I agree He may be too rusty to risk as a starter. Would still prefer him to Halliday

Missing my point. He is painfully slow. I'm not a huge Halliday fan but offers far more than a declining Haring.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Hearts007

• Taffin

• Marvin

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Missing my point. He is painfully slow. I'm not a huge Halliday fan but offers far more than a declining Haring.

What exactly does Halliday offer over Haring. 

1 minute ago, hisnameis said:

Works harder, better on the ball and doesn't take forever on it getting caught out like Haring does, and he offers more of a goal threat. Also has a better delivery.

6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Haring was miles off the pace earlier in the season, looked particularly awful against the OF and European teams. It took him an age to find any form after his last injury lay off, don't think pitching him into the middle of the park in an Edinburgh derby at Easter Road when he has been out for so long is the answer, think he will get exposed badly. The one positive is that there isn't much running power in the Hibs midfield either. Their main tactic in all the games against us this season is to knock it into the channels for Youan to run in behind. I will be amazed if they try anything different on Saturday. It will be that and long balls to the big boy up front and then feed off of second balls in and around our box. The main worry is that we are so weak in the air defensively if they get decent delivery into the box we will toil. 

3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Works harder, better on the ball and doesn't take forever on it getting caught out like Haring does, and he offers more of a goal threat. Also has a better delivery.

He’s had some really good games but let’s not kid on that happens often. He’s mostly really poor.

Works harder, better on the ball and doesn't take forever on it getting caught out like Haring does, and he offers more of a goal threat. Also has a better delivery

Would give you goal threat  the rest ....no can't agree with at all. If you are talking central midfield you must be kidding. Haring ran our midfield in the latter part of last season. Halliday has never ever done that in any game. He doesn't have the pace. awareness or technical ability. He is lost in centre mid. Have agree to disagree mate.

Just now, GinRummy said:

He’s had some really good games but let’s not kid on that happens often. He’s mostly really poor.

Agree with you, and like I say I don't rate Halliday that highly. It doesn't happen that often and he's squad player at best but he's filled in well at times.

The middle of our midfield right now is really poor IMO and I'm simply arguing he's a better option than Haring.

1 minute ago, hisnameis said:

Would give you goal threat  the rest ....no can't agree with at all. If you are talking central midfield you must be kidding. Haring ran our midfield in the latter part of last season. Halliday has never ever done that in any game. He doesn't have the pace. awareness or technical ability. He is lost in centre mid. Have agree to disagree mate.

Why are you going on about last season though? I'm talking about now and he also didn't "run" our midfield last season. Haring a few years ago was one of our best players. He was more dynamic, covered every blade of grass, defended well and chipped in with goals quite often. Thing is, he isn't that player anymore and that's probably down to his bad injuries which is very unfortunate. About time folk accepted he's done here and needs moved on. 

Halliday currently offers more than Haring who is now a shadow of his former self.

Agree with you, and like I say I don't rate Halliday that highly. It doesn't happen that often and he's squad player at best but he's filled in well at times.

The middle of our midfield right now is really poor IMO and I'm simply arguing he's a better option than Haring.

I dunno. You can never really judge how players will be after a long injury. Id be amazed if Haring started on Saturday. It’s a straight choice between Grant, Kio and Halliday. For me Grant isn’t suited to a midfield 2 so it comes down to Kio or Halliday to partner Devlin if it’s a two or grant plays if it’s a three but either way Kio or Halliday plays. Flip a coin for me if I’m honest. 

9 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Haring was miles off the pace earlier in the season, looked particularly awful against the OF and European teams. It took him an age to find any form after his last injury lay off, don't think pitching him into the middle of the park in an Edinburgh derby at Easter Road when he has been out for so long is the answer, think he will get exposed badly. The one positive is that there isn't much running power in the Hibs midfield either. Their main tactic in all the games against us this season is to knock it into the channels for Youan to run in behind. I will be amazed if they try anything different on Saturday. It will be that and long balls to the big boy up front and then feed off of second balls in and around our box. The main worry is that we are so weak in the air defensively if they get decent delivery into the box we will toil. 

Agree 👍

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I dunno. You can never really judge how players will be after a long injury. Id be amazed if Haring started on Saturday. It’s a straight choice between Grant, Kio and Halliday. For me Grant isn’t suited to a midfield 2 so it comes down to Kio or Halliday to partner Devlin if it’s a two or grant plays if it’s a three but either way Kio or Halliday plays. Flip a coin for me if I’m honest. 

Reason I'd have Halliday in there is he always seems right up for derbies and likes a wee goal or 2 against them. Devlin and Halliday in the middle would give plenty fight and would break up play well I reckon. Both battlers who won't shirk out of any challenges or loose balls.

Edited by Chimp

Luckies1874

It shows how poor the midfield options are that there is such debate about starting EITHER Haring or Halliday. I hope neither of them play.

Just now, Chimp said:

Reason I'd have Halliday in there is he always seems right up for derbies and likes a wee goal or 2 against them. Devlin and Halliday in the middle would give plenty fight and would break up play well I reckon. Both battlers who won't shirk out of any challenges or lose balls.

Sounds reasonable. I’d be tempted to play a three man midfield but if it’s just two I guess Halliday is as good as anyone available. 

Just now, Luckies1874 said:

It shows how poor the midfield options are that there is such debate about starting EITHER Haring or Halliday. I hope neither of them play.

This is it mate. Our midfield options are poor and shows how much we really need to strengthen in there in the summer

RustyRightPeg

Hoping for some training pics/videos this week. Some smiles on the faces, bit of a buzz about the place. 

6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Why are you going on about last season though? I'm talking about now and he also didn't "run" our midfield last season. Haring a few years ago was one of our best players. He was more dynamic, covered every blade of grass, defended well and chipped in with goals quite often. Thing is, he isn't that player anymore and that's probably down to his bad injuries which is very unfortunate. About time folk accepted he's done here and needs moved on. 

Halliday currently offers more than Haring who is now a shadow of his former self.

When Beni and Devlin were out at the latter part of last season Haring was the main man in midfield and did a great job. No one declines that much as quickly as you are suggesting at his age. Halliday has never been a good central mid in his entire career. We obv have different opinions. 

John Findlay
31 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

Goals against Hibs.

3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Reason I'd have Halliday in there is he always seems right up for derbies and likes a wee goal or 2 against them. Devlin and Halliday in the middle would give plenty fight and would break up play well I reckon. Both battlers who won't shirk out of any challenges or lose balls.

Halliday has never had even close to a good game for us in centre midfield. Peter is far superior in that position it’s not even a debate. 

Tell you what though he deserves an Oscar for convincing so many Hearts fans that he’s a ‘battler’ and ‘puts a shift in’ Just because he looks absolutely burst after 15 mins doesn’t mean he’s playing well or doing any good, it means he’s unfit! For all the Halliday fan boys out there, if he really was a grafter and a battler, he would surely be top of the charts for distance covered, tackles won, blocks? He’ll be nowhere near it, in fact he’ll probably be near the bottom. Go and re watch Saturdays game. Whenever we had the ball he would go and mark a St Mirren player so he wouldn’t get passed to. 

Left wing back? Yep, when needed.

Eye for goal? definitely.

Centre mid? Invisible man. 

(This isn’t a dig at you btw, I know you say you don’t particularly rate him. I just can’t stand the ‘puts a shift in’ brigade.) 

RustyRightPeg
38 minutes ago, Chimp said:

We seem to be on the same page today. 

People seem to have forgotten Haring couldn’t get in the team prior to his injury and when he did he looked like he was playing with a bowling ball in treacle. 

2 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Was hoping we might hold onto Gino & Grant. Great potential under the right guidance. But I heard Gino wants to go. But I’ve heard that plenty. Aye I didn’t say Snoddy as the tabloids answered that one. Halliday I said already😂. Odo nae vay. Defo 💩chat. Hes hardly kicked the baw like Kuol. Have to give these boys a chance. DeVries mk2. But half this team needs binned. I don’t want McKay to go as that laddie has great potential. He’s obviously been effected by the changing room bust ups. I’m so looking forward to this game now. Think if I was a Hibby I’d be shitting ma skecks. Mon the JTs FTH. Prediction 0-3 win. Shanks & Humphs then Kuol first goal. 

Yup, I’m now confident of a win ! Agree on Mackay , very talented, just needs to feel the love 

12 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

When Beni and Devlin were out at the latter part of last season Haring was the main man in midfield and did a great job. No one declines that much as quickly as you are suggesting at his age. Halliday has never been a good central mid in his entire career. We obv have different opinions. 

Yes they do, and he has. Injuries can do that to players. Look at Berra, was unbelievable for us in his first season back, he gets that bad injury and never came back the same. It happens. Can also happen regardless of age.

I don't think Halliday is a good CM but all I'm saying is he'd be a better option from what we have. We hardly have a fantastic array of CM's to choose from at the moment.

FERRY HEARTS
39 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

As has been stated by others a goal threat . Hit woodwork with a header on Saturday. Bound to be a lot match fitter than Haring at present. Good to see Peter back playing but unfortunately I think his days are numbered at club  IMO 

5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We seem to be on the same page today. 

People seem to have forgotten Haring couldn’t get in the team prior to his injury and when he did he looked like he was playing with a bowling ball in treacle. 

Exactly, painful to watch. Too many reminiscing about prime Haring and it's clouding their memories. Need to accept he's no longer that player 🤷‍♂️

gordiegords

Midfield should be halliday and devlin for me, halliday is a good bet to play a blinder and get a goal.

Edited by gordiegords

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Guessing you're left footed like me!!!

I'm not, but I like noticing these things.  Of course being a left fitter in Scotland had other connotations too.

4 minutes ago, briever said:

I'm not, but I like noticing these things.  Of course being a left fitter in Scotland had other connotations too.

haha, I'm only a left fitter at fitba.  Neither fitted in that other sense!

I'm a touch touchy about the left footed thing.  Left footed players so often described as one footed etc - I got it the whole time I played and still do at 5s, light hearted, but I can't help but think "I use my right more than you use your left, ya fud!"

What we have here is a straight, white male, who had an easy upbringing needing something to be woke about!haaha

Marooned In Oz

The Haring prior to his hip injury was excellent.  Since he has sustained that injury he has looked a shadow of his former self.   Far too slow on the ball and miles off the pace earlier this season and I don't think this is going to have changed for the better having been out for months with a brain injury.

Devlin in the only central midfielder that deserves a start against hibs.  None of the other options have done anything to warrant to start so I will leave it up to naismith on who he thinks deserves a start from the other midfield options and who has looked sharp in training.

We desperately need an energetic, dynamic central midfielder as priority number 1 in the summer.

Edited by Marooned In Oz

Gorgierools
1 minute ago, Marooned In Oz said:

The Haring prior to his hip injury was excellent.  Since he has sustained that injury he has looked a shadow of his former self.   Far too slow on the ball and miles off the pace earlier this season and I don't think this is going to have changed for the better having been out for months with a brain injury.

Devlin in the only central midfielder that deserves a start against hibs.  None of the other options have done anything to deserve to start so I will leave it up to naismith on who he thinks deserves a start from the other midfield options.

We desperately need an energetic, dynamic central midfielder as priority number 1 in the summer.

Levitt?

Marooned In Oz
1 minute ago, Gorgierools said:

Levitt?

Cant say I've seen enough of him of late but I know he was highly rated earlier in his career.   Don't think he has had a very good season with united...

48 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Midfield should be halliday and devlin for me, halliday is a good bet to play a blinder and get a goal.

We don't really have many options other than Grant or Kio. 

Ex member of the SaS

No matter who plays we need a huge response from all the players, A loss is unacceptable as the chances of Aberdeen winning means we will be another three points behind. Aberdeen five points clear going into the split is a huge gap at this stage of the league.

St Mirren " will " lose " to Sevco so no harm there but Hibs will then be two behind us.

Aberdeen on 50 points St Mirren on 44 points and Hibs on 43 means it's getting very tight and fourth is no guarantee.

53 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

haha, I'm only a left fitter at fitba.  Neither fitted in that other sense!

I'm a touch touchy about the left footed thing.  Left footed players so often described as one footed etc - I got it the whole time I played and still do at 5s, light hearted, but I can't help but think "I use my right more than you use your left, ya fud!"

What we have here is a straight, white male, who had an easy upbringing needing something to be woke about!haaha

I am left handed at pool/snooker! That's it.

I haven't seen anybody mention that the game is being shown on BBC Alba at 6.00 on Saturday.  Fine for those of us who can avoid contact with the media etc. between 12.30 and 6.00

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Gorgierools said:

Levitt?

Currently sitting on the bench for the worst team in the league? 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

We don't really have many options other than Grant or Kio. 

Toby seems to be the only other one really. Unless Pollock comes in. 

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Toby seems to be the only other one really. Unless Pollock comes in. 

As far as I am aware Pollock is only just back from injury and played about 70 minutes in his last game.

He could be asked to give his best for 45 minutes though. Sibbick might be worth a shout further forward as you say.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

As far as I am aware Pollock is only just back from injury and played about 70 minutes in his last game.

He could be asked to give his best for 45 minutes though. Sibbick might be worth a shout further forward as you say.

I think with 5 subs you could afford to give certain players a half each, no name’s obviously or bring them on when the game slows down slightly. 
Most likely to be Devlin to the right of Kio with Grant to the left but who knows really. Cant wait tbh. 

The fact Haliday is on many folks team sheet, including mine, shows how much we haven't progressed as a team this season.

Should be no more than a squad filler if we are doing well.

5 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Nonsense. Haring is quicker than Snoddy and Halliday but I agree He may be too rusty to risk as a starter. Would still prefer him to Halliday

Agree definitely starting for me he looked good when he came on 

56 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

The fact Haliday is on many folks team sheet, including mine, shows how much we haven't progressed as a team this season.

Should be no more than a squad filler if we are doing well.

Can’t see Naismith playing him 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

The more I think about it, the only option he has if he wants energy in midfield is Sibbick and Devlin. 

This is a definite for me sibbick devlin

Mackay and Gino on wings or Cochrane 

Humphries and shanks up top 

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Marooned In Oz said:

Cant say I've seen enough of him of late but I know he was highly rated earlier in his career.   Don't think he has had a very good season with united...

Exactly. If he was doing amazing it would be a different deal. Just now tho...club potentially relegated.  

Right age, well needed. Excellent goal threat, knows the league well.

We would have challengers.

5 hours ago, Chimp said:

In what sense cause I think your smoking drugs here. 

Watt-Zeefuik
23 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Clark 

Atkinson   Rowles  Kingsley  Cochrane

Sibbick

Devlin      Grant

McKay

Shankland     Humphrys

Legs legs legs. No Snodski, no Haring, no Halliday, no Smith. Give Atkinson the rest of the games and see what he can do. Smith is finished and should be away at the end of the season. Haring similarly. Yes there is an argument for Halliday but I want us to play a more youthful and energetic side. The other question is Ginnelly's availability (my understanding is he is definitely leaving in the summer) but I also want to see Humphrys played with Shankland to see if he is worth considering for next season. Impossible to tell currently. 

I like this except playing McKay centrally. I think he does more on the wing.

I know you're going for legs but I'd still rather have Halliday where you have Grant and push Jorge up to the top of the midfield. The nice thing about having Dev in there is that you don't want for energy no matter whom he's partnered with.

I've been leaning towards the diamond mid myself recently, particularly because it gives space for Sibbick to go in there and shore up the defence without giving him back line responsibilities.

The White Cockade

I’d play Devlin and Sibbick as centre mids 

If I knew NA was fit and mentally ready I’d play him right mid with Cochrane on the left 

I’d have Shanks up top with either Humps or Kuol or give them a half each

McKay to come on as sub if we need to chase game

The problem we have choosing a team is that we’ve no idea who is in a good place and mentally ready to play as we have no idea what was going on behind the scenes 

The important thing is that Stevie knows who’s ready and he picks the right team

Game gives me the fear though as we can’t go from total pish for two months to world beaters in a week and also Hibs are due a break against us

In terms of finishing third though this is a must win after 3 games of losing must wins!

but this result is massive and will define our season imo

8 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Yes, correct on the basis of the players chosen there but moreso based on having Kingsley nowhere near CH at the moment.  As a lefty, I'll defend my people though.  If we had 3 right footers in a back 4, no one would say boo.  So what's the difference.  In fact, if you take in to account a CF is more likely right footed, a left footer will defend him better in theory.

And none of these guys are any more one footed than anyone else in our team, barring a couple of guys who are extremely 2 footed like Humps

I would be as critical of 3 right footers! Anyone who has played knows that everything about your play e.g. facing up, jockeying, tackling, turning etc even how you see the game in front of you is informed by your strong foot! 

We lost at Dens Park simply because Liam Smith played at LB.

8 hours ago, briever said:

It's funny, but nobody ever says this when there are 3 right footed players in a back 4.

I do, all the time!