***Official Hibernian v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Did you think that when he scored 2 v hibs ?

and probably about the last time Haring was fit btw

Teo good goals that day. Was He not playing on the left rather than centrally. Did it change my opinion...no. Dont rate him. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Hearts007

• Taffin

• Marvin

Can we please stop suggesting playing Haring? The guy has barely kicked a ball for months, lacking match fitness and should not be thrown in to start in the Derby.

Even if he was fit he's not the answer anymore. Not sure he'd actually beat Snodgrass in a race.

Edited by Chimp

Ronald Villiers

Haring is so far off the pace that he shouldn't even be considered for the bench.  I'd like to see Pollock play.  If it doesn't work switch him for Grant.

Pete Elliott

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Halliday

Devlin

Grant

Humphrys

Shankland

McKay

Edited by Pete Elliott

28 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Haring is so far off the pace that he shouldn't even be considered for the bench.  I'd like to see Pollock play.  If it doesn't work switch him for Grant.

Is pollock not out on loan?

442 -

Clark

Atkinson (to deal with Youan's pace)

Sibbick

Rowles

Kingsley (difficult to decide between him and Cochrane but edges it due to his experience)

Kuol

Devlin

Halliday

McKay 

Shankland

Humphrys

6 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

No he was playing for the B team last night. You might be thinking of Connor Smith at Hamilton. Another who should have maybe been give more opportunities when you see the dross we have been left with. 

Ronald Villiers
10 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Forgot about that mate.  Scrap that idea.

Gorgierools
6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

No he was playing for the B team last night. You might be thinking of Connor Smith at Hamilton. Another who should have maybe been give more opportunities when you see the dross we have been left with. 

I believe Smith is doing well at Accies as well.

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Agreed, he really is done.

1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

Surely we have learnt over the years that we have to have a balanced back four. Playing 3 players whose right foot is for standing on in the same back line is madness! Get Sibbick in at RCB and Rowles beside him!

Yes, correct on the basis of the players chosen there but moreso based on having Kingsley nowhere near CH at the moment.  As a lefty, I'll defend my people though.  If we had 3 right footers in a back 4, no one would say boo.  So what's the difference.  In fact, if you take in to account a CF is more likely right footed, a left footer will defend him better in theory.

And none of these guys are any more one footed than anyone else in our team, barring a couple of guys who are extremely 2 footed like Humps

Ronald Villiers
7 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Apparently at East Fife until end of season.  Pretty sure he can still play for the B team but not sure about our first team.  I may be talking 💩 but this rings a bell.

Just now, Gorgierools said:

I believe Smith is doing well at Accies as well.

I always thought he was pretty solid in his games this season if not spectacular. However most were sub appearances and I thought he was very good on the ball in the game over in Istanbul. I would have liked to have seen him get more game time to see if he could have taken it up a level. 

3 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

GMS 🚪👋

Smith 🚪👋

Hill 🚪👋

Kio🚪👋

Forrest 🚪👋

Atkinson🚪👋(I know but he’s not really done the biz)

Who else?

Snodgrass?

I can’t fathom why anyone would want Barrie McKay, hide and seek champion 2023 playing in a derby.

First hard challenge and he’ll retreat in to his shell and hide like he always does when the going gets tough.

Winning 2-0 and game stretched is the only time he’d be useful

1 minute ago, Leisham38 said:

I can’t fathom why anyone would want Barrie McKay, hide and seek champion 2023 playing in a derby.

First hard challenge and he’ll retreat in to his shell and hide like he always does when the going gets tough.

Well I guess its the hope that deployed correctly he can create the opening that can win the game.  Look at the goal in the first derby, which was Barrie doing what Barrie does from the position he does it best, and moments like the St Mirren goal which was similar.  We're looking for him to have a new lease of life.  And he might!

Pete Elliott
5 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

We have zero creativity in the team without him. Play him in his correct position and you don’t need to rely on him doing a job defensively.

Ex member of the SaS

I think this is a game Barry would shine. Hibs derby is always a game our players want to win. Expecting a big turn around and all players busting a gut to prove they are worthy of a start for the rest of the season.

Although both sides have been crap recently, I'm feeling a lot more confident now the squad "issues" seem to be sorted out. Usual caveat being its a derby and anything can and usually does happen.

2-1 Hearts.

Gorgierools
5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I think this is a game Barry would shine. Hibs derby is always a game our players want to win. Expecting a big turn around and all players busting a gut to prove they are worthy of a start for the rest of the season.

Can't remember the last "big game" he turned up for though.

2 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Surely we have learnt over the years that we have to have a balanced back four. Playing 3 players whose right foot is for standing on in the same back line is madness! Get Sibbick in at RCB and Rowles beside him!

It's funny, but nobody ever says this when there are 3 right footed players in a back 4.

weegie jambo

Anyone think that Naismith just might stick to a three at the back with wingbacks?  Just playing devils advocate and having a hunch here. Young Neilson didn't play for the B team last night and Naismith knows him well from there. I'm thinking he maybe wants a solid, no nonsense, header everything away CH at the centre of a back 3 with Toby RCH and Rowles LCH. Hibs will throw everything at the Russian sounding guy who by all accounts is OK in the air and a bit of a battering ram. Have Natty at RWB to counter their young black guy who looks rapid and tricky and Cochrane at LWB as he has a lot more energy going forward and is always likely to make things happen. I'd have Cammy for his energy and Halliday, who always plays pretty well against them in midfield with Grant in his prefered advanced centre mid role with Josh and Shanks both up top. Just an idea!

Aussie Jambo
22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Snodgrass?

He’s already gone according to the tabloids who are usually 35% correct. But I can 100% believe it tbh. 

Pete Elliott
9 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Can't remember the last "big game" he turned up for though.

Performed pretty well in derby matches.

41 minutes ago, Chimp said:

442 -

Clark

Sibbick

Rowles

Kingsley (difficult to decide between him and Cochrane but edges it due to his experience)

Kuol

Devlin

Halliday

McKay 

Shankland

Humphrys

Like this team, a gamble on McKay maybe. 

Could play Cochrane on left mid and Kingsley at left back.

Main thing is playing a 4-4-2.

None of this 3 at the back or even 3 up front pish…

Aussie Jambo
2 hours ago, fila said:

Gino 

Grant 

Snodgrass ( potentially done already !)

Halliday 

ODO , maybe to early on this one, but I smell shite😆

Was hoping we might hold onto Gino & Grant. Great potential under the right guidance. But I heard Gino wants to go. But I’ve heard that plenty. Aye I didn’t say Snoddy as the tabloids answered that one. Halliday I said already😂. Odo nae vay. Defo 💩chat. Hes hardly kicked the baw like Kuol. Have to give these boys a chance. DeVries mk2. But half this team needs binned. I don’t want McKay to go as that laddie has great potential. He’s obviously been effected by the changing room bust ups. I’m so looking forward to this game now. Think if I was a Hibby I’d be shitting ma skecks. Mon the JTs FTH. Prediction 0-3 win. Shanks & Humphs then Kuol first goal. 

Aussie Jambo

Tech glitch 

Edited by Aussie Jambo
published 3 times? 🤷‍♂️

Thunder and Lightning
44 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Agreed, bring him on for the last 20 minutes when 3 up and let him run at people.

24 minutes ago, basscom said:

Like this team, a gamble on McKay maybe. 

Could play Cochrane on left mid and Kingsley at left back.

Main thing is playing a 4-4-2.

None of this 3 at the back or even 3 up front pish…

Yep McKay is a bit of a gamble, who knows which version would turn up. Either way has that quality that could win you the game, even if its one worldie of a pass. Could be the difference. A Barrie McKay when he's at it is a top player and I'm hoping Naismith will get that out of him. If there was someone else we had that stuck out as a better option on the wing then fair enough but we don't currently have many players that stick out in my mind that would do a better job.

Yeah not a huge fan of 3 at the back or up top either. 

Re Cochrane, I don't think he could play as a midfielder. He's an out and out left back IMO. Moving him into midfield would be a bit like Neilson with his square pegs in round holes carry on again. Certainly not worth trying out in a game as big as this.

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

442 -

Clark

Sibbick

Rowles

Kuol

Devlin

Halliday

McKay 

Shankland

Humphrys

Kuol in the middle - one of the decisions that got our manager canned? 

julienbrellier

It's a 4-2-3-1 formation I'd go with, with Humphreys behind Shankland.                                                     

Clark

Atkinson                      Rowles             Sibbick             Cochrane

Halliday           Devlin

Ginelli                                  Humphreys                       Mckay

Shankland

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Kuol in the middle - one of the decisions that got our manager canned? 

I've not got Kuol in the middle though have I?

I havent predicted a team on here in a while so here we go:

Clark

Atkinson

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Halliday

Devlin

Humphrys

Gino

Kuol

Shankland.

That team would have some firepower and pace.

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Clark

Atkinson

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Halliday

Devlin

Humphrys

Gino

Kuol

Shankland.

I would have had Gino in my startin 11 too but I don't think he's fit? Only reason I had McKay in ahead of him.

Also don't get why everyone wants Humps as a midfielder. He's a striker.

4 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I've not got Kuol in the middle though have I?

Midfield then my pedantic friend. Can he play on the wing, coz he sure as hell isn't gonna help us win the midfield. 

3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Clark

Atkinson

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Halliday

Devlin

Humphrys

Gino

Kuol

Shankland.

4 forwards? easy now..

upgotheheads

I'm so bloody confused about what would be Hearts best line-up after recent events that I can't think of any starting eleven that would fill me with confidence.

A few principles are important though. We need more pace and athleticism, which means that Atkinson and Gino should start. We need some class on the ball which means MacKay and Cochrane, we need some game nous which means Halliday. we need Shankland whatever the situation, and we need someone who can break from the back which would mean  Sibbick. All I can come up with is;

Clark

Atkinson, Rowles, Kingsley, Cochrane

Sibbick

Devlin   Halliday  

MacKay

Gino   Shankland

4-4-2 in effect...                    Nah,  me  neither.

I'm excited to see what Naismith will do on Saturday. As a player he has played at a very high level and has had exposure to different tactics and formations. I don't really care what the formation is, as long as the players are in their correct position and we play positively and aggressively. This would already be a step in the right direction. 

With the departure of Nielson, McCulloch and (potentially) Snodgrass (the last two, probably the root of recent issues I'm guessing), the team can hopefully crack on and begin to get third place back.

I'm going to hazard a guess that Aberdeen will win on Friday nght; I'll also hazard a guess that we will win on Saturday. I think Aberdeen will either draw or lose to Rangers the following week and we will win our game with Ross County. That would hopefully put us back in third on goal difference.... that's the hope anyway.

FTH

18 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Midfield then my pedantic friend. Can he play on the wing, coz he sure as hell isn't gonna help us win the midfield. 

What's pedantic about it? I had Kuol on the wing yet you saw were somehow mistaken thinking I would have him in the middle of a 442. Then made a jibe implying that I'd be making as a daft a mistake as Neilson playing him there.

Yes he can play on the wing to answer your question.

Edited by Chimp

14 minutes ago, Americana said:

4 forwards? easy now..

Have a right go at them. They're pony at the back! 

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Well I guess its the hope that deployed correctly he can create the opening that can win the game.  Look at the goal in the first derby, which was Barrie doing what Barrie does from the position he does it best, and moments like the St Mirren goal which was similar.  We're looking for him to have a new lease of life.  And he might!

1 hour ago, briever said:

It's funny, but nobody ever says this when there are 3 right footed players in a back 4.

Guessing you're left footed like me!!!

3 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Midfield is the major concern, we have no legs in there at all. Is Pollock an option or is this too big an ask for him to come in? I've always been impressed with him when he has played in the first team. 

I would also play Atkinson RB, Smith is clearly done everything slows down with him. The players owe it to themselves and the fans to come out firing on all cylinders and show they are not as humpty as we think they are. Clearly there is ability in the squad, hopefully Nisy gets the best out of them and we play players in their most effective position. 

Hahaha you've not been watching us for quite a while have you?  He's the only one who puts in an absolute shift, while erseholes like Snodgrass tippy tap it back to Sibbick while he gets closed down.

34 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

I'm excited to see what Naismith will do on Saturday. As a player he has played at a very high level and has had exposure to different tactics and formations. I don't really care what the formation is, as long as the players are in their correct position and we play positively and aggressively. This would already be a step in the right direction. 

With the departure of Nielson, McCulloch and (potentially) Snodgrass (the last two, probably the root of recent issues I'm guessing), the team can hopefully crack on and begin to get third place back.

I'm going to hazard a guess that Aberdeen will win on Friday nght; I'll also hazard a guess that we will win on Saturday. I think Aberdeen will either draw or lose to Rangers the following week and we will win our game with Ross County. That would hopefully put us back in third on goal difference.... that's the hope anyway.

FTH

The good news also is that he has first hands experience of how Steve Clarke handles tactics and motivates the Scotland players.

48 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I'm so bloody confused about what would be Hearts best line-up after recent events that I can't think of any starting eleven that would fill me with confidence.

For far too long the starting XI would be announced and nobody could ever name their positions, and I bet the starting XI felt the same.

Robbie thought he was playing Subbuteo and could flick players from anywhere.  I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and we can breathe again. 

pettigrewsstylist

Hard to call line up, without knowing where the fractures lie. 

Concerned Youann could roast the space behind Atkinson if playing a 3, and draw foul after foul, or worse from him. 

Cochrane has shown he can work the left with Mckay well and brings energy.

None of the creative wide stuff will matter if we remain slow, ponderous and predictable in central midfield.

Gonna have to trust Naismith knows what has been going on and is several steps ahead on this.

No way i would start Kio in this. Hibs dont like Ginos directness, needs to play. 

17 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Hahaha you've not been watching us for quite a while have you?  He's the only one who puts in an absolute shift, while erseholes like Snodgrass tippy tap it back to Sibbick while he gets closed down.

I've been watching him every week and his performances have regressed at an alarming rate bar one or two decent games. Constantly when breaking forward play breaks down his side. I still think he's decent and solid, I just think it's time to give Atkinson a game. I'm aware he's no world beater but I also don't think he's as bad as some on here make him out to be. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Was hoping we might hold onto Gino & Grant. Great potential under the right guidance. But I heard Gino wants to go. But I’ve heard that plenty. Aye I didn’t say Snoddy as the tabloids answered that one. Halliday I said already😂. Odo nae vay. Defo 💩chat. Hes hardly kicked the baw like Kuol. Have to give these boys a chance. DeVries mk2. But half this team needs binned. I don’t want McKay to go as that laddie has great potential. He’s obviously been effected by the changing room bust ups. I’m so looking forward to this game now. Think if I was a Hibby I’d be shitting ma skecks. Mon the JTs FTH. Prediction 0-3 win. Shanks & Humphs then Kuol first goal. 

Could Gino ( and maybe others ) wanted away due to the managers tactics and selections ? When things are not going well and players are getting pelters when it's the lack of support from other team mates, it's not hard to extrapolate that things are said and would change as circumstances change.

3 hours ago, Chimp said:

Can we please stop suggesting playing Haring? The guy has barely kicked a ball for months, lacking match fitness and should not be thrown in to start in the Derby.

Even if he was fit he's not the answer anymore. Not sure he'd actually beat Snodgrass in a race.

Nonsense. Haring is quicker than Snoddy and Halliday but I agree He may be too rusty to risk as a starter. Would still prefer him to Halliday