***Official Hibernian v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

The first league game was 1-1

Oops.  It's me that deserves the butt kick then.  Memory isn't what it used to be.

I'll settle for 0-1 though.  :thumb:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Hearts007

• Taffin

• Marvin

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Not my first rodeo sir!  I shall look out for you when that 4th goes in!

I'll likely be 4 or 5 rows further doon nursing sair shins should that transpire.

With out lack of options in midfield, interesting to see Pollock train with the first team today. I would not be surprised if he was involved at some stage. Naismith has mentioned a couple of times already the importance of playing youth players. Is he ready? Is he any worse than some of the rubbish we have watched from the midfield this season? Having seen him only a couple of times, I couldn't help be impressed with his fleeting performances and I've thought he should at least have made a few sub appearances the last few months. Saturday would be huge to pitch him in, however I recall Levein chucked a few of them into a derby at Easter Road back in 2019 when we drew 1-1. I'm sure our centre midfield that day was Connor Smith and Harry Cochrane. 

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Oops.  It's me that deserves the butt kick then.  Memory isn't what it used to be.

I'll settle for 0-1 though.  :thumb:

So will I. :thumb:

Hope the players go out and enjoy themselves.

Be nice to see one or two of them dropping their shoulders and running at and taking opponents on.

Heartsrenfrew

I have a ticket to be collected from the ticket office, unable to go to game and was orignally bought for my brother but got an error so didnt think it went through, if someone is able to collect it i can make ticket office aware of who is collecting. just looking for face value pm if anyone want it. 

4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Stone, Pollock and Tait all trained with the first team this morning. 

I would have thought Stone should be ahead of Stewart in the pecking order by now?

He's 21 next week. If he's not managing to get in ahead of a goalie that poor then I'm wondering if he's maybe been a bit over-hyped. That would be through no fault of his own though. Hope he does progress though as it would be great to produce another GK of our own to follow in Gordon's footsteps.

Absolute Scenes
9 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Stone, Pollock and Tait all trained with the first team this morning. 

Happy for Pollock to start/get some minutes - the other 2, not sure a derby is the time to start them/play them

Lord Beni of Gorgie
58 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Anyone else feel like they're shitting it now?

Strangely not, though concurrently, not confident either.

Got a feeling that neither want to lose, draw predicted. Though an Aberdeen win Friday puts pressure on us, to get more, 1 point would edge Hibs closer to top 6, which could be a big point in their situation

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Strangely not, though concurrently, not confident either.

Got a feeling that neither want to lose, draw predicted. Though an Aberdeen win Friday puts pressure on us, to get more, 1 point would edge Hibs closer to top 6, which could be a big point in their situation

So many things in play. It would certainly be great to hear that Aberdeen had failed to win on Friday as would mean that a draw wouldn't be a disaster on Saturday given next weekends fixtures should favour us. But of course we all want the 3 pts and a big performance. Equally what is Hibs attitude to Saturday going to be like? Johnson is clearly absolutely desperate to get a result given January's scores but are his players actually putting it in for him or are they doing what Aberdeen and Hearts players did in recent months. Or are they simply not very good. It's difficult to predict when our form has been so horrendous and we are so soft on the road but if there was one fixture we maybe need right now it's this one. 

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

With out lack of options in midfield, interesting to see Pollock train with the first team today. I would not be surprised if he was involved at some stage. Naismith has mentioned a couple of times already the importance of playing youth players. Is he ready? Is he any worse than some of the rubbish we have watched from the midfield this season? Having seen him only a couple of times, I couldn't help be impressed with his fleeting performances and I've thought he should at least have made a few sub appearances the last few months. Saturday would be huge to pitch him in, however I recall Levein chucked a few of them into a derby at Easter Road back in 2019 when we drew 1-1. I'm sure our centre midfield that day was Connor Smith and Harry Cochrane. 

Pollock had a great wee cameo when he came on as a sub in Istanbul and hasn't been seen since, albeit he has had a few injury issues I believe.

ViewfromtheEast
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Anyone else feel like they're shitting it now?

Aye. 😑☹️

pettigrewsstylist
40 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Happy for Pollock to start/get some minutes - the other 2, not sure a derby is the time to start them/play them

Get them into squad for this one or at least trg with first team for 2 weeks. Get them a few mins against ross county hopefully.

Confidence building up for liedoon away, mutton molesters and livi at home.

Bish, bash bosh, passport oot and looking for funnels.

pettigrewsstylist
25 minutes ago, ELITHEDUG said:

They will line up with a 4-2-3-1 so 4-3-3 for me. Kuol if Ginnelly not fit.

4D811695-AFAE-467B-945D-5F9B7542482D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6a4ca182d6c823c4e6cc4790464768fc.jpeg

On their day....erse paper.

19 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Pollock had a great wee cameo when he came on as a sub in Istanbul and hasn't been seen since, albeit he has had a few injury issues I believe.

Yeah I was across there and he stuck out really well in the 15v minutes or so he got and had a hand in the goal. Has never looked out of place to me. Would be a gamble to play him on Saturday but might be one that works. He will likely have the legs on anyone in the Hibs team that's for sure. 

pettigrewsstylist
12 minutes ago, ViewfromtheEast said:

Aye. 😑☹️

St Johnstone away for top 6, thats tough. This derby is a MUST win for Hibs.

Livi have Dundee away next week 😮

Tam Macgenius putting the boot in in the Daily Sevco i see.

weegie jambo
1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah I was across there and he stuck out really well in the 15v minutes or so he got and had a hand in the goal. Has never looked out of place to me. Would be a gamble to play him on Saturday but might be one that works. He will likely have the legs on anyone in the Hibs team that's for sure. 

good wee cameo in the pre season v Stoke too, set up Shankland's 2nd goal IIRC

pettigrewsstylist

Would be good to see a CH take 3 steps forward, puff his chest out and win the first 2 headers in our box. That will make me happy.

ViewfromtheEast
8 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

St Johnstone away for top 6, thats tough. This derby is a MUST win for Hibs.

Livi have Dundee away next week 😮

Tam Macgenius putting the boot in in the Daily Sevco i see.

It's all a bit squeaky bum. Here's hoping streaky Lee goes on a winning streak. Still want him out either way. Had enough of the random team selections. 

6 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Would be good to see a CH take 3 steps forward, puff his chest out and win the first 2 headers in our box. That will make me happy.

Hopefully we also get back to the CH taking some responsibility and stepping out from the back with the ball. With Snodgrass it was always like they got the ball and passed to him with his back to the play. In recent months it never worked and he lost it numerous times. Prior to this Rowles and Sibbick often took it upon themselves to stride out with it. 

As for heading the ball, I would be delighted if we could command headers in the air. We have lost some awful goals this season with balls crossed into our box. It's a worry especially if Hibs play the big boy up top. Any decent service will have us in trouble. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
52 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

So many things in play. It would certainly be great to hear that Aberdeen had failed to win on Friday as would mean that a draw wouldn't be a disaster on Saturday given next weekends fixtures should favour us. But of course we all want the 3 pts and a big performance. Equally what is Hibs attitude to Saturday going to be like? Johnson is clearly absolutely desperate to get a result given January's scores but are his players actually putting it in for him or are they doing what Aberdeen and Hearts players did in recent months. Or are they simply not very good. It's difficult to predict when our form has been so horrendous and we are so soft on the road but if there was one fixture we maybe need right now it's this one. 

This is the easy question. No they aren't

7 minutes ago, ViewfromtheEast said:

It's all a bit squeaky bum. Here's hoping streaky Lee goes on a winning streak. Still want him out either way. Had enough of the random team selections. 

No, here's not hoping.

Probably better posting stuff like that elsewhere this week.

4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

This is the easy question. No they aren't

Similar to us they have a few players who can win them a game when not playing very well. Nisbet and Youan are probably the only 2 to worry about. However I said in January that if Hearts turn up and play well then we should win. I still think this is the case even with the horrendous form we are in. Our away form has been dreadful this season so about time we managed to get a win on the road. No better place to get it. 

Absolute Scenes
50 minutes ago, ELITHEDUG said:

They will line up with a 4-2-3-1 so 4-3-3 for me. Kuol if Ginnelly not fit.

4D811695-AFAE-467B-945D-5F9B7542482D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6a4ca182d6c823c4e6cc4790464768fc.jpeg

only change would be dropping McKay for Humps. We all know what McKay is capable, but he doesnt deservev to start based on what we know he can do - he needs to show it consistently which he hasnt done this season

Having said that, once we are 6-0 up, bring him on for the last 30 minutes

ViewfromtheEast
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

No, here's not hoping.

Probably better posting stuff like that elsewhere this week.

Yeah, I'll bow out for a few days, let the temperature cool. May the best team win. Although I will fully accept a backs to the wall, 90 minutes of desperate defending and a a fluky last gasp winner. 😁 Have a good weeks folks, and remember, it's just a bloody game. 😉

Edited by ViewfromtheEast

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

So gang, I've found out I'm on the Likely Lads scenario this Saturday.  Had booked myself in for a fun family day out to end Easter break and had forgotten about it/not realised the clash!! So I'll be avoiding score and watching it "live" on Alba at 6....

However, I don't want to be off JKB all day (I'm with my family, I'll need entertainment), so would you all mind not mentioning the game, score etc on here until about 8pm Saturday evening.

Thanks in advance

TBO x

Sure, nae bother. Not that big a game anyway, not much to talk about, not sure many will watch TBH.

6 minutes ago, ViewfromtheEast said:

Yeah, I'll bow out for a few days, let the temperature cool. May the best team win. Although I will fully accept a backs to the wall, 90 minutes of desperate defending and a a fluky last gasp winner. 😁 Have a good weeks folks, and remember, it's just a bloody game. 😉

👍

14 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Sure, nae bother. Not that big a game anyway, not much to talk about, not sure many will watch TBH.

Cheers man, appreciate it

gorgierulesapply88

If I was in the prized position of Naismith, Saturday's line-up would be this.

The strike picks himself really, goals. He's a striker, not a number 10 or as deep as a 6 like he seemed to sometimes operate under Neilson.

Kuol, energy, pace, desire and has shown he's happy to put in a challenge.

Mckay, aye he's been horrific of late but I do remember 1 moment of magic he can change a game having a newborn baby I hope he get's a decent sleep the night before!

Humphrys, for his power and ability to hold up the play can easily swap with Mckay.

Devlin & Halliday, both run all day and both again are more than happy to leave their boot in should it turn into that kind of game.

Cochrane, dropped from Neilson I presume due to answering back and any other murmurs there's been arguably our best player this season.

Kingsley, hopefully finds the form he had prior to his injury.

Rowles, since the world cup has been cold. But his stats are still reasonably good.

Sibbick, again had a few decent games and went off the boil took some amount of stick but seems to have disapeared.

Clark, self explanatory. Experience, won a couple cups with a hard-working St.Johnstone side and hopefully he has the right studs on this time! Otherwise we're left with Stewart whom is naewhere near it. 

Would love to see, McCluckie Tait Kirk on the bench complimented with Haring Kio Hill & Forrest.

image.png.49a66195fd435b159c23042bc940679e.png

Jack Torrance
1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

53 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

We were in Istanbul too. Agree with his performance that day, very impressive. I'd have no concerns if he was pitched in from the start or came on later.

Rick Sanchez

I've been quite disappointed that Smith has never played in the position that would most suit him nowadays. He played it for NI quite a lot.

3-4-1-2

Clark

Smith

Rowles

Kingsley

Atkinson

Sibbick

Devlin

Cochrane

McKay/Grant

Ginnelly

Shankland

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I know the games not on TV but is there any pubs that will be showing it on Hearts/Hibs TV in the Gorgie Area? 

Polwarth Tavern 

bigfatskinnyjambo97
18 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I've been quite disappointed that Smith has never played in the position that would most suit him nowadays. He played it for NI quite a lot.

3-4-1-2

Clark

Smith

Rowles

Kingsley

Atkinson

Sibbick

Devlin

Cochrane

McKay/Grant

Ginnelly

Shankland

Can we drop this 3 at the back pish once and for all please? Also, can we stop pretending Smith is a valuable player and that his performances have been good this season? Play Atkinson in RB, don't care if he's shite, least he can run, battle and has plenty to prove. Smith is too old and frail, his level of athleticism is at the same level as an ageing sausage dog on a windy day. All Smith does is bark at players when they make mistakes, probably doing nothing for team morale, as he hardly leads by example in terms of performances. Should never renew his deal - and if we do, and play him as a right sided CB in a back 3 (as you suggest), I will cancel my season ticket and stop my foundation payments. 

gorgierulesapply88
26 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

3-4-1-2

Clark

Smith

Rowles

Kingsley

Atkinson

Sibbick

Devlin

Cochrane

McKay/Grant

Ginnelly

Shankland

Why the 3? It's what's caused the downturn in performances. Although they did train this way today and yesterday...

pettigrewsstylist

Any updates on Gino and Clark? Have they been full trg  this week?

Apologies if missed.

Rick Sanchez
12 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Why the 3? It's what's caused the downturn in performances. Although they did train this way today and yesterday...

I'm no fan of the 3 but as it stands you can't inject energy into the middle without taking Sibbick out of defence and we don't have the central defenders to play a 2 IMO.

We did play two left footers against Zurich at home in Kingsley and Rowles but I'd fear for the latter up against that Ukrainian lad. He'll get bullied on his own.

I'd consider Neilson but he's scared of a header.

And I wouldn't say the 3 caused our downturn, our inability to play it properly did. Neilson used wingers and wingbacks. The width should come from the wingbacks alone IMO. Stick a 10 in and play with two strikers.

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Doesn’t matter what XI Hibs play. They’re all Will Fish. 

That Fish fella? Murder, so he is. A total liability.

And the rest are as about as much use as McKirdy who looks like the bass player in this classic:-