*** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan

Selkirkhmfc1874

26 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

What are you basing that on?  He looks just as good if not better than Forrest and we have hardly see Oda? 

Based on watching him play against us. His free kick delivery is good, but it's not better than Snodgrass, McKay, Kingsley, etc. Halliday kept him quiet in the last game and although he initially seemed to be playing RWB he was pretty useless defensively - he doesn't track back effectively, his anticipation was very poor, and he was badly out of position for Cochrane's offside goal and for another couple of chances we had in the 2nd half. I'm not even Forrest's biggest fan but he's better than Armstrong - he gets back when he's needed, is more aggressive, is quicker, is more direct on the ball, and will have a pop on goal. Oda will be much better than him in the long run too, if he isn't already. So aye - no thanks. He's no good to us. A first choice winger needs to be much better, and we already have backup wingers who are just as good as if not better. 

Edited by Batistuta87

• Replies 36.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naisys Tackle
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Based on watching him play against us. His free kick delivery is good, but it's not better than Snodgrass, McKay, Kingsley, etc. Halliday kept him quiet in the last game and although he initially seemed to be playing RWB he was pretty useless defensively - he doesn't track back effectively, his anticipation was very poor, and he was badly out of position for Cochrane's offside goal and for another couple of chances we had in the 2nd half. I'm not even Forrest's biggest fan but he's better than Armstrong - he gets back when he's needed, is more aggressive, is quicker, is more direct on the ball, and will have a pop on goal. Oda will be much better than him in the long run too, if he isn't already. So aye - no thanks. He's no good to us. A first choice winger needs to be much better, and we already have backup wingers who are just as good as if not better. 

Fair enough, you have to consider he plays alongside a lot less quality around him though.  I think he's as good as Forrest and saying Oda will be much better is just guesswork at this stage.   You could look at Mckay or Forrest in a one of game playing in a team against superior opposition and judge them to be poor too especially when like BM you are playing out of position.

21 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Fair enough, you have to consider he plays alongside a lot less quality around him though.  I think he's as good as Forrest and saying Oda will be much better is just guesswork at this stage.   You could look at Mckay or Forrest in a one of game playing in a team against superior opposition and judge them to be poor too especially when like BM you are playing out of position.

Yeah all fair points. Just think that despite not being Forrest's biggest fan I much prefer his style of play and his work rate. Oda is of course guess work and probably a bit of blind trust in the recruitment process, but I do think he will be an excellent wee player. He seems to be quite tenacious and aggressive, and has already been nipping at players ankles and taking a shove or two like a right annoying wee *******. Looks like he'll battle, so that determination and aggression coupled with his pace will make him very dangerous so again I would rather we were patient with him and developed him. 

Like I say, just a matter of preference ✌️

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah all fair points. Just think that despite not being Forrest's biggest fan I much prefer his style of play and his work rate. Oda is of course guess work and probably a bit of blind trust in the recruitment process, but I do think he will be an excellent wee player. He seems to be quite tenacious and aggressive, and has already been nipping at players ankles and taking a shove or two like a right annoying wee *******. Looks like he'll battle, so that determination and aggression coupled with his pace will make him very dangerous so again I would rather we were patient with him and developed him. 

Like I say, just a matter of preference ✌️

Yeah can't argue - top man 👍

Pasquale for King

I cant say there’s many players if any in the teams below us that would get in our team ahead of who we already have. The new players we get now have to be an upgrade on what we have or who have left. 

4 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Yeah me too,he is only one of a handfull at other Scottish teams who i think could make the step up to us,would like to see what Bruce Anderson could do with better players around him,i know he failed at Aberdeen but so did Shanks.

I like Baccus at St Mirren and Dhanda at County also and apart from that theres not a lot else.

Armstrong looks like he can play and looks as if he is also a winner! He has apparently signed a new contract but I think he is worth spending money on. We also have a few ‘makeweights’ they might fancy. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I cant say there’s many players if any in the teams below us that would get in our team ahead of who we already have. The new players we get now have to be an upgrade on what we have or who have left. 

Agreed. There's a few that I would gladly take as squad players and a few that I would take for the future, but not one that I would place in our starting 11. 

28 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Armstrong looks like he can play and looks as if he is also a winner! He has apparently signed a new contract but I think he is worth spending money on. We also have a few ‘makeweights’ they might fancy. 

Nut. Not a chance I'd be spending money on him. Far better options out there.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thats my hope now. Weve built a good squad. Yes there needs to be succession planning (see Zander!) but id hope we're in a position now to be looking at guys we strongly believe upgrade the first xi.

If that means only signing 2 guys this summer, so be it. Obv that depends on if there are outgoings.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Thats my hope now. Weve built a good squad. Yes there needs to be succession planning (see Zander!) but id hope we're in a position now to be looking at guys we strongly believe upgrade the first xi.

If that means only signing 2 guys this summer, so be it. Obv that depends on if there are outgoings.

Way I see it too. The signings will become quality over quantity, upgrades mostly, while selling a player each summer window 

Just noticed Connor Wickham was a free agent after leaving Forrest Green last month. Now signed for Cardiff today.

Still only 29. Definitely wouldn't have hurt to make an offer.

7 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Agree about Bruce Anderson.

Has had injury issues, but any time I’ve seen him he looks really good. Puts himself about, and a good finisher. Similarity to Shankland valid too. 

Agreed

i suggested him last year actually and got laughed down by the usual but genuinely think he would be decent 

C31AFCC5-F394-421B-B522-BC91098F7132.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Agreed

i suggested him last year actually and got laughed down by the usual but genuinely think he would be decent 

No doubt has an eye for goal, good pace, good work rate, and is still only 24, but we've done better in Shankland and Humphrys and whilst he would be a useful squad player, he probably would only ever be that at Hearts. 

Ricardo Quaresma
27 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

That's a very busy window. 

Who are you guessing outward? 

Yeah; any going out and back in again?

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Credit where it’s due, we got away with two GKs last season but the signing of Clark was a masterstroke, and as you say shows the succession planning that they do. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Bauld said:

Just noticed Connor Wickham was a free agent after leaving Forrest Green last month. Now signed for Cardiff today.

Still only 29. Definitely wouldn't have hurt to make an offer.

Hes the size of a house and slower than a week watching Hibs, we dont do forwards of his type and we certainly wont need him at the this time. 

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'm going for 10 out.

And 8 in.  

Think you won't be far off. We will see player sale or sales this window.   But hopefully only two at the most. Getting to group stages would mean we need a bigger squad again. Player sales would also mean we can really push the budget out and hopefully get more quality again. Europe is so important. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'm going for 10 out.

And 8 in.  

Won't be far off tbh

Haring, Henderson, Gino , Gms out

Kuol, Humps, Hill loans finish- maybe 1/2 will stay.

Forest, Grant 50/50 if staying.

Kio- really not sure if the mgt team are settling him in slowly or he's just down the pecking order, if it's the latter then his future is in doubt.

I'll go for Cochrane to leave for money.

We'll also need to consider the fitness and durability of guys like Halkett, Beni and maybe Kingsley- can they be relied on, especially as key players?

Absolute Scenes
10 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Agreed

i still stick by it

The Apprentice
12 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Glad management are looking at better than half our fans are!

Yep. I’m old enough to remember the Kyle Benedictus shouts on here and then even more recently… Ash Taylor ffs. 

19 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Agree about Bruce Anderson.

Has had injury issues, but any time I’ve seen him he looks really good. Puts himself about, and a good finisher. Similarity to Shankland valid too. 

Had a really good season last season. Goal or assist every 100 minutes. 

53 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Kio- really not sure if the mgt team are settling him in slowly or he's just down the pecking order, if it's the latter then his future is in doubt.

It is an interesting one with Kio.

Only started a third of the available games - yet has played in all the games against the Old Firm and 3/4 of the European games he was eligible for. 

Outside those, he has played in far more away games than home games. Livi at home being the exception. Rest of his games have been away. 

He also seems to be more likely to play in the rare occasions we switch to 4231 - (against the OF and Livi). 

So it can’t be a lack of trust from the management team as he is starting in our hardest games - it seems more that he is getting selected to do a specific job in games where we expect more of a battle and not picked when we expect to be controlling things. 

I think the fee we paid really distorts how we see him. Forrest hasn’t had that many more minutes than him (45% of available v 38%) but few there is less talk about him leaving. 

FWIW I don’t see either of them or Grant leaving. We will not have promised anyone starts and we need a bench as close to starting quality as possible. 

Edited by CMc

8 minutes ago, CMc said:

Only started a third of the available games - yet has played in all the games against the Old Firm and 3/4 of the European games he was eligible for. 

Outside those, he has played in far more away games than home games. Livi at home being the exception. Rest of his games have been away. 

He also seems to be more likely to play in the rare occasions we switch to 4231 - (against the OF and Livi). 

So it can’t be a lack of trust from the management team as he is starting in our hardest games - it seems more that he is getting selected to do a specific job in games where we expect more of a battle and not picked when we expect to be controlling things. 

I think the fee we paid really distorts how we see him. Forrest hasn’t had that many more minutes than him (45% of available v 38%) but few there is less talk about him leaving. 

FWIW I don’t see either of them or Grant leaving. We will not have promised anyone starts and we need a bench as close to starting quality as possible. 

Exactly. I simply dont think our support are used to having guys like those 3 on our bench, but the aim is to have a fully dependable squad.

Because Grant, Kio, Forrest arent getting starts every week doesnt mean they're surplus. They'll only go - imo of course - if they really want out.

I mean that generally really. Things change, maybe a guy we like becomes available and we need to make space. Player sales, injuries, personal circumstance. So individual players may move on.

But the point is we'll hopefully have 50-55 games a season and need 23/24 guys all of whom can be relied on. Not playing every week doesnt mean a player has flopped, theyre part of the whole.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, CMc said:

Agreed.

Will be interesting to see how it develops but also interesting if Beni comes back strong and/ or we sign more quality.

Where does that leave Kio and Grant next season-  Snodgrass,  Devlin, Beni and Halliday may all be in front of them with Boyce possibly coming in as a amc.

That's before we enter the transfer market.

10 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

That's a very busy window. 

Who are you guessing outward? 

Hill (back to Bournemouth)

Atkinson (out on loan or transferred) 

Halliday

Haring 

Grant (won't stay if he's not getting a game)

GMS 

Kuol (back to Newcastle) 

Gino 

Humps (back to Wigan) 

Henderson 

And we could sell one player, either Rowles, Sibbick, Cochrane or Devlin - if we get the right offer. 

2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Think you won't be far off. We will see player sale or sales this window.   But hopefully only two at the most. Getting to group stages would mean we need a bigger squad again. Player sales would also mean we can really push the budget out and hopefully get more quality again. Europe is so important. 

I think we'll bring in much better players, might get Hill, Kuol and Humps back. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Won't be far off tbh

Haring, Henderson, Gino , Gms out

Kuol, Humps, Hill loans finish- maybe 1/2 will stay.

Forest, Grant 50/50 if staying.

I'll go for Cochrane to leave for money.

We'll also need to consider the fitness and durability of guys like Halkett, Beni and maybe Kingsley- can they be relied on, especially as key players?

RwB, CB, *LwB, CM*, LW, RW, CF*

Depends if we sign/loan next season.

Paterson 

Hill 

Kuol 

Humps 

*Depends if Halliday, Grant & Gino leave. 

Obviously we'd be looking to replace any players we sell like Sibbick, Rowles, Cochrane or Devlin. 

13 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Is Callum Paterson injured?

Apparently might be out for the rest of the season.  The injury doesnt need surgery.  Its a muscle injury and Darren Moore the manager hopes he might see him before the seasons finish because Callum is a "quick healer". 

1 hour ago, Disco Ball said:

Apparently might be out for the rest of the season.  The injury doesnt need surgery.  Its a muscle injury and Darren Moore the manager hopes he might see him before the seasons finish because Callum is a "quick healer". 

He'll be running up Gullane dunes this summer.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Halliday

Haring 

GMS 

Kuol (back to Newcastle) 

Gino 

Humps (back to Wigan) 

Henderson 

And we could sell one player, either Rowles, Sibbick, Cochrane or Devlin - if we get the right offer. 

I think we'll bring in much better players, might get Hill, Kuol and Humps back. 

Paterson 

Hill 

Kuol 

Humps 

Obviously we'd be looking to replace any players we sell like Sibbick, Rowles, Cochrane or Devlin. 

Can't see Halliday leaving. But othe two are leaning to most likely. Not sure he will be totally welcome by our fans.  But Ryan Jack uis a possibility. 

Edited by johnking123

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Can't see Halliday leaving. But othe two are leaning to most likely. Not sure he will be totally welcome by our fans.  But Ryan Jack uis a possibility. 

Ryan Jack would be a belting signing 

Jack and Beni, with Devlin in behind .

Snodgrass and Kio ready to step in, with Haliday always happy to be called upon when needed.

Wind up Aberdeen fans as well.

Really hope Halliday stays. I’d have him ahead of Kingsley as Cochrane’s understudy at LWB - although probably behind Kingsley in a back 4. Shown himself to be fairly handy at CM too. Hard to replace him as a squad player with similar quality and versatility. 

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Halliday

Haring 

GMS 

Kuol (back to Newcastle) 

Gino 

Humps (back to Wigan) 

Henderson 

Paterson 

Hill 

Kuol 

Humps 

Nice one 👍🏻 

Can't see Halliday leaving personally - even when his current deal is up. Reckon he could retire here. As for the loans, I'm not sure we'll get Hill back especially if Bournemouth go down. Think we could (and should) move for Humphrys on a permanent. Kuol back for a full season is probably a possibility too.

Haring will be away aye, so will GMS, Henderson and Smith. Can see Michael Smith getting another year and probably retiring after. 

Sales... I guess any one of Devlin, Cochrane, Shankland, Rowles and Atkinson could be subject to some interest in the summer. Atkinson won't be loaned out IMO - he'll be sold if anything but would prefer he stayed personally. 

No idea what they could be worth by then but there's a good £10M or so in there combined.

Inwards I'd like to see a solid, physical CB and a full back on either side to compete. Would like a first 11 winger as well to partner and switch it up with McKay, and a couple of fillers. Oda will get there I think. Reckon we'll be speaking highly of him by the end of next season, so: 

RW/LW first 11

CM to replace Haring

GK 3rd choice 

ST backup 

CB first 11

LB competition 

RB first 11 / competition 

... And replacing anyone who is sold. 

Edited by Batistuta87

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

👍🏻

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No more players from SPFL or League 1, SPFL any decent ones unattainable. Young aspiring internationals, or Snodgrass/Naismith quality wind downs, Bruce Anderson or Connor Wickham may have been shouts in previous years, but they are not worrying Celtic or Fiorentina are they

27 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

No more players from SPFL or League 1, SPFL any decent ones unattainable. Young aspiring internationals, or Snodgrass/Naismith quality wind downs, Bruce Anderson or Connor Wickham may have been shouts in previous years, but they are not worrying Celtic or Fiorentina are they

Out of interest how much is a player that would worry Celtic or Fiorentina going to cost us ?

23 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Out of interest how much is a player that would worry Celtic or Fiorentina going to cost us ?

but it's the next level! 🤓

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

As much as a Devlin Baningime or Shankland 

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

So what you are saying is, we need players who can’t make it at premiership clubs like Demi Mitchell? 

we will sign talent wherever we find it. And the majority of of player we sign wil lol be players who play in worse leagues than our own.  And not players taking a step backward 

Portable Badger
9 hours ago, cauther col said:

Think Ryan Hardie of Plymouth would be a good addition. Surely affordable 11 goals this season . 25 years old good age.

If Argyle get promotion to the English Championship I doubt they’d sell him but more likely try to extend his contract

3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Disagree with this first part. We should always be looking to recruit 'best of the rest' players. I know it might sound ridiculous, but alongside cheating, its formed a significant part of Juventus's transfer strategy. The thinking being is that you're taking tried and tested, good quality players from your rivals, make them rebuild and strengthen yourself - win/win. Whilst we can't really pay big transfer fees, we see time and time again good players running their deals down at clubs like Killie, Ross County, Motherwell etc. Its absolutely worth keeping an eye on our rivals and making sure we're snapping up any talent we can. Just last season, Regan Charles Cook was one of the stand out players of the season. Livi seem to have a knack for finding players that can punch above their weight too. There is no value in snobbery at our level. 

Agree with much of the rest of your post, looking at Savages recruitment so far, I think these young aspiring internationals are sort of picking up the slack of our academy. Rather than suffering the highs and lows of teenagers development, we're going for guys a bit older like Devlin and Beni who are already much further along in their development and more able to contribute to our success, but still develop themselves. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

So what you are saying is, we need players who can’t make it at premiership clubs like Demi Mitchell? 

we will sign talent wherever we find it. And the majority of of player we sign wil lol be players who play in worse leagues than our own.  And not players taking a step backward 

Not really, its quite simple, there will be far more Rowles and Devlins, Odas than Forrest or Grant's. 

Might still be the odd one, but how do you improve to compete with top two, its got to be players who are capable at higher levels. 

Logic I would say.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Disagree with this first part. We should always be looking to recruit 'best of the rest' players. I know it might sound ridiculous, but alongside cheating, its formed a significant part of Juventus's transfer strategy. The thinking being is that you're taking tried and tested, good quality players from your rivals, make them rebuild and strengthen yourself - win/win. Whilst we can't really pay big transfer fees, we see time and time again good players running their deals down at clubs like Killie, Ross County, Motherwell etc. Its absolutely worth keeping an eye on our rivals and making sure we're snapping up any talent we can. Just last season, Regan Charles Cook was one of the stand out players of the season. Livi seem to have a knack for finding players that can punch above their weight too. There is no value in snobbery at our level. 

Agree with much of the rest of your post, looking at Savages recruitment so far, I think these young aspiring internationals are sort of picking up the slack of our academy. Rather than suffering the highs and lows of teenagers development, we're going for guys a bit older like Devlin and Beni who are already much further along in their development and more able to contribute to our success, but still develop themselves. 

I think Shankland is a good case. We couldn't afford to take him off United, the best ones will get be hard to get from Scottish clubs, case for cheeks now too

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan