*** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan

Selkirkhmfc1874

On 15/02/2023 at 20:42, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think Shankland is a good case. We couldn't afford to take him off United, the best ones will get be hard to get from Scottish clubs, case for cheeks now too

I think Lewis Neilson and John Souttar show we can get quality from lower in the league. 

• Replies 36.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, CMc said:

I think Lewis Neilson and John Souttar show we can get quality from lower in the league. 

Fair bit to go for Neilson. Who do you think we could get next season who improves us, don't think we can honestly say Neilson has or James Hill would never have appeared 

45 minutes ago, CMc said:

Definitely useful players out there. I'm 100% behind picking up the right players from other Scottish clubs to strengthen our squad. They've got to be good enough though, and unfortunately about 90% players in teams below us simply aren't even close. 

11 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Fair bit to go for Neilson. Who do you think we could get next season who improves us, don't think we can honestly say Neilson has or James Hill would never have appeared 

This is true. I think they show what we need to do if buying rising Scottish talent - take them on before they are a 100% dead certainty. 

Someone above said we can’t afford the best Scottish talent because they will go down south on wages we can’t match. I think this is partially true - but if we get in early enough there are exceptions. 

Perhaps, if we can afford it, the model of loaning someone who is first team ready whilst developing a young player could be replicated in future. 

36 minutes ago, CMc said:

This is true. I think they show what we need to do if buying rising Scottish talent - take them on before they are a 100% dead certainty. 

Someone above said we can’t afford the best Scottish talent because they will go down south on wages we can’t match. I think this is partially true - but if we get in early enough there are exceptions. 

Perhaps, if we can afford it, the model of loaning someone who is first team ready whilst developing a young player could be replicated in future. 

Realistically the best way to develop our young players is to have them playing regular football against strong opposition and to get them learning from those experiences. Even playing alongside Glenn Whelan once in a while would teach our boys a thing or two. The best way to do that is by bringing back the Reserves League - which would have a double benefit to us because not only would our young players get game time alongside players of their same age group (Benefit 1), but they'll play with and against experienced professionals when we or other clubs want first team players to get some minutes under their belts or to ease them back in from injuries (Benfit 2). They'll get to play with and against a massive mix of players in the Reserves - old, young, and everything in between. They're learning absolutely nothing from playing in the Lowland League against teachers, joiners, and Si Ferry. 

13 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Realistically the best way to develop our young players is to have them playing regular football against strong opposition and to get them learning from those experiences. Even playing alongside Glenn Whelan once in a while would teach our boys a thing or two. The best way to do that is by bringing back the Reserves League - which would have a double benefit to us because not only would our young players get game time alongside players of their same age group (Benefit 1), but they'll play with and against experienced professionals when we or other clubs want first team players to get some minutes under their belts or to ease them back in from injuries (Benfit 2). They'll get to play with and against a massive mix of players in the Reserves - old, young, and everything in between. They're learning absolutely nothing from playing in the Lowland League against teachers, joiners, and Si Ferry. 

Agree the reserve league would be extremely helpful. 

It seems there is a real barrier to getting 20yo academy grads into first teams - with the exception of teams who are struggling and have nothing to lose by chucking them in. Can’t be good for the national team to have this pause in player development when they lose time before dropping a level then potentially kicking on. 

I know the SPFL is run by its members,  who all want to cut a profit, but some things should be enforced by the SFA for the good of the game. I would have a reserve league and mandatory real pitches on this list along with the stadium regs for promotion to the premiership. 

7 minutes ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

Scott Arfield perhaps being released in the summer by Rangers.  Would 100% give him a two year deal.  Great professional 

Yes decent player. I'd have him here.

13 minutes ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

Scott Arfield perhaps being released in the summer by Rangers.  Would 100% give him a two year deal.  Great professional 

Solid player and you can pretty much guarantee he'll rattle other teams and will cause them problems. He's one of those fringe players over there who always does a job when he comes on. I'd only give him 1y personally though, maybe with the option of a 2nd, since he's 34. Also depends what Snodgrass is doing. I don't think I'd be too enthusiastic about having two 33+ centre mids. I'd probably rather have Ryan Jack if that was a possibility. 

Speaking of Old Firm players - Conor Hazard is out of contract at Celtic. Could be an excellent addition to our goalkeeping contingent. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Solid player and you can pretty much guarantee he'll rattle other teams and will cause them problems. He's one of those fringe players over there who always does a job when he comes on. I'd only give him 1y personally though, maybe with the option of a 2nd, since he's 34. Also depends what Snodgrass is doing. I don't think I'd be too enthusiastic about having two 33+ centre mids. I'd probably rather have Ryan Jack if that was a possibility. 

Speaking of Old Firm players - Conor Hazard is out of contract at Celtic. Could be an excellent addition to our goalkeeping contingent. 

i agree with what you say but i also dont think we should turn our noses up at the prospect of having Arfield and Snodgrass as CM's just because of ages! Would be brilliant to play one recurring week, so the other is kept for the Euro games and vice versa. He'd also not command a massive wage given his age and where he thinks he would be able to play at his current wage level. 

I did hear a few rumours that he was Hibs bound in the winter window so i would imagine Hibs will be linked with him soon. 

If we are able to get him on a pre contract that would be great

2 hours ago, cauther col said:

Think Lewis Neilson will go South if he doesn’t get game time here.

He has made more appearances this season than he did for any other club, and at a far higher level, euro games included.  He is a cracking prospect, but clearly has a lot to learn.  I'd hope he gets some game time if we manage to get third place wrapped up early like last year -- a big if!  I wouldn't be against loaning him out to one of the better championship teams next season.

38 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

He's obviously desperate to stay here, hope we can work out a deal.

Last part of the interview is a bit wild, nobody from Wigan has spoken to him since he moved to us? Bad that neither Toure or Maloney has even pinged him a message seeing as he's going back in the summer. 

Edited by DxB Hearts

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Pretty poor show that they havent been in touch at all, but hopefully helps us especially when they go down. 
Maloney is not guaranteed to last to the summer but hopefully doesn’t want him. 
The farce with Jordan Jones shows they're struggling all over the club. 
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/best-of/23327022.derek-mcinnes-details-kilmarnock-anger-jordan-jones-wigan-recall/

16 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Last part of the interview is a bit wild, nobody from Wigan has spoken to him since he moved to us? Bad that neither Toure or Maloney has even pinged him a message seeing as he's going back in the summer. 

Superb! I thought you might have been a wee bit being optimistic but after watching the interview myself it genuinely sounds like he can't wait to leave. 

"I'm contracted to Wigan *shrugs* so... it is what it is"  and his tone when he talks about nobody contacting him sounded particularly positive (for us) 🤣

Also speaks about wanting to keep performing to keep up Hearts' interest in him. 

I'd sign him right now. He's done enough. Let's get it done, Hearts! 

Edited by Batistuta87

What sort of fee do you think would be required here and what is he worth to us?

Given Gino's suspension Sunday he has a chance to make that position his going forward....

15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Don't worry about those pie shagging bumpkins, Stevie.

We'll sign you in the summer & release you from your purgatory. Then you're free. And will be treated like a Prince. Not like some back-alley Lancashire scrubber.

15+ goals beckon.

😅

53 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

He has made more appearances this season than he did for any other club, and at a far higher level, euro games included.  He is a cracking prospect, but clearly has a lot to learn.  I'd hope he gets some game time if we manage to get third place wrapped up early like last year -- a big if!  I wouldn't be against loaning him out to one of the better championship teams next season.

I think he could play Hill,s ,role next season , he has 15 premier League appearances with Dundee United. Loaned at Falkirk. Think he is ready  for the step up next season.

4 minutes ago, Ramagio87 said:

What sort of fee do you think would be required here and what is he worth to us?

Given Gino's suspension Sunday he has a chance to make that position his going forward....

Obviously depending on how he performs between now and the end of the season but if he carries on like he is currently then I can't see us having to pay much more than 200-300k, especially only having 1 year left at that point.

Definitely worth that kind of money IMO, not the finished article but it's very hard to find a striker with such speed, strength, directness and comfortable with both feet. He's only 25 too and yet to reach his peak so I can only see him getting better!

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

I hear ya!

kingantti1874
56 minutes ago, Ramagio87 said:

£350k. Just a guess

BRAVEHEART1874
3 hours ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, DxB Hearts said:

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pretty poor show that they havent been in touch at all, but hopefully helps us especially when they go down. 
Maloney is not guaranteed to last to the summer but hopefully doesn’t want him. 
The farce with Jordan Jones shows they're struggling all over the club. 
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/best-of/23327022.derek-mcinnes-details-kilmarnock-anger-jordan-jones-wigan-recall/

What I took out of it too, appalling really but yet not surprising in football, cattle

4 hours ago, cauther col said:

Think Lewis Neilson will go South if he doesn’t get game time here.

He's no good enough defensively to go anywhere and get a game near our level. He's a development player and has a lot to learn. He's got all the tools though. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

What I took out of it too, appalling really but yet not surprising in football, cattle

Player doesnt feel wanted/part of it, player agitates move due to that, price comes tumbling down. New mgr with no connections says get rid.

Lurrvly jubbly 

Live in hope 😁

4 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Class lad, standing up for Scottish Football and having a wee pop at Wigan as well. Get him signed man! 

Edited by Cruyff

3 hours ago, cauther col said:

I think he could play Hill,s ,role next season , he has 15 premier League appearances with Dundee United. Loaned at Falkirk. Think he is ready  for the step up next season.

👍 You are right, I got mixed up with the appearances!  Agree, hope he gets more games.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Hope this helps us keep him. 

If we are still keeping a close eye on the Australian market, wonder if we have a chance at Nestory Irankunda...seems to be the next big thing. Some impressive highlights already for a young kid

12 minutes ago, Andy.C said:

If we are still keeping a close eye on the Australian market, wonder if we have a chance at Nestory Irankunda...seems to be the next big thing. Some impressive highlights already for a young kid

Great shout, scoring goals in top flight football as a teenager is really impressive. I wonder what it would take to get him? Newcastle got Kuol for a steal didn't they? 

With us having a large Aussie contingent, I'd hope we'd reaching out and seeing if we can get him here. 

Humps comments sounded like a player keen to stay. I wonder if Robbie/Savage and his agent have maybe discussed wage expectations if a deal went ahead - thats the only limiting factor I can see in the deal going ahead. I'm sure £200/300k transfer fee or less and we could keep him from Wigans perspective. 

12 hours ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

35 when his zombie contract ends...?

Edited by gorgieheart
Number

5 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

35 when his zombie contract ends...?

Point being , we have a better 35 year old in midfield 

20 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Point being , we have a better 35 year old in midfield 

Don't disagree. Arfield is probably a fine player, but I'd be a bit wary about taking Rangers cast offs. Murphy was a disaster at Hibs and although Halliday has been a good and versatile player, he's not a first 11 choice which considering the club he's came from and age he is, you'd kind of expect that tbh. Not hating on Halliday at all btw, just making the point that players coming from a bigger club aren't necessarily better than what you have. Arfields last hurrah was his Rangers career IMO and he'll not have much impact at his next club. Should look at investing in a younger player that can be developed and has something to prove. 

If we sign Russell as rumoured on here and retain Snodgrass, then there really is no need to go for Arfield. 

Josh Mulligan at Dundee looks a decent prospect, quite direct, strong and pacey. Just turned 20.

No idea of his contract situation but knowing Dundee they have probably made a mess of it so would be good if we could nab him on the cheap/free like Lewis Neilson from United.

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He's no good enough defensively to go anywhere and get a game near our level. He's a development player and has a lot to learn. He's got all the tools though. 

Honestly thought he would go out on loan during the window. He is a development player but he will not develop playing B league or kickabout friendlies at Riccarton. Really think he can be a player given the right coaching and experience. Trust him more, defensively, than Atkinson or Forrest. Let him make his mistakes at Ross county or Partick and come back ready to compete for a place. Don't think Michael Smith will be able to play another year at Premier level and Neilson could have been ready to replace him. Seem to remember Robbie going to Queen of the south at a similar age and coming back ready for the first team. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Josh Mulligan at Dundee looks a decent prospect, quite direct, strong and pacey. Just turned 20.

No idea of his contract situation but knowing Dundee they have probably made a mess of it so would be good if we could nab him on the cheap/free like Lewis Neilson from United.

Contracted until May 31, 2023

jamboinglasgow
7 hours ago, Andy.C said:

I think teenagers will be harder for us to sign from Australia as they are usually the ones bigger leagues go after, like what happened with Kuol. For us we operate in the market for 21-24 year olds as its more affordable. Thats not to say we would not want to sign him, just think it would be a lot harder.

If we were to sign him, he could not move to us until the Summer of 2024 as players need to be 18 before they can move internationally (FIFA rules.)

2 hours ago, Kirky Jambo said:

That sounds like a no brainer tbh! Scored a couple of goals when Dundee were up in the premiership and out of contract at the end of the season. Looks like he's versatile too and can play RM and RB, so could he be a wingback? 

13 hours ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Out of contract at the end of the season so might be worth an offer. He has done very well for Dundee but a bit step up from them to us. Would need to pay a dev fee as he's under 23 but they're never anywhere near market value. Jake Hastie for example was a massive pospect at much bigger club and his dev fee was about £250k. Mulligan I'd assume would be about £100-150k but would be one of these tribunal things where you only learn the actual amount after the deal is done.

pettigrewsstylist
On 17/02/2023 at 12:58, Chimp said:

Obviously depending on how he performs between now and the end of the season but if he carries on like he is currently then I can't see us having to pay much more than 200-300k, especially only having 1 year left at that point.

Definitely worth that kind of money IMO, not the finished article but it's very hard to find a striker with such speed, strength, directness and comfortable with both feet. He's only 25 too and yet to reach his peak so I can only see him getting better!

Scottish game is a good fit for him IMO.

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Honestly thought he would go out on loan during the window. He is a development player but he will not develop playing B league or kickabout friendlies at Riccarton. Really think he can be a player given the right coaching and experience. Trust him more, defensively, than Atkinson or Forrest. Let him make his mistakes at Ross county or Partick and come back ready to compete for a place. Don't think Michael Smith will be able to play another year at Premier level and Neilson could have been ready to replace him. Seem to remember Robbie going to Queen of the south at a similar age and coming back ready for the first team. 

Suspect once 3rd secure he will get a bit of gametime in order to help decide if we need to replace/extend Hill.

A lot depends on how Halkett gets on with rehab.

pettigrewsstylist
On 17/02/2023 at 11:40, Absolute Scenes said:

i agree with what you say but i also dont think we should turn our noses up at the prospect of having Arfield and Snodgrass as CM's just because of ages! Would be brilliant to play one recurring week, so the other is kept for the Euro games and vice versa. He'd also not command a massive wage given his age and where he thinks he would be able to play at his current wage level. 

I did hear a few rumours that he was Hibs bound in the winter window so i would imagine Hibs will be linked with him soon. 

No brainer for him if both sides of Edinburgh his choices.

We dont actually know what Snodric intends of course.

On 17/02/2023 at 11:40, Absolute Scenes said:

I really think it depends how much fire Arfield has left in his belly. There was something that stood out for me, think Steve Bruce recruited a bunch of Man Utd rejects at Sunderland, and on paper all looked really good signings, but it took them a long time to adapt mentally to having been rejected by a big club. I'm not saying that situation is identical, but I'd be wary of signing players because they played for Rangers. I think Arfields done what he wanted to do in his career now, and I'm not sure we'd be getting a player with the sort of fire we need to drive us on further. 

I'm sure his experience and training standards would be useful, but in terms of first team impact, I'm honestly a bit unconvinced. Maybe a 1 year deal to see if he still has something to prove, but certainly wouldn't be onboard breaking the bank tbh. Getting Humps signed up permanently would be a bigger coup for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
Lord Beni of Gorgie

See Bologna interested in Max Johnston, kind of player if we are looking at SPFL market we would have to be gambling on sooner

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

See Bologna interested in Max Johnston, kind of player if we are looking at SPFL market we would have to be gambling on sooner

He’s 19 though how early can you gamble. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

They only recalled him from loan in January too. Some trajectory that - Cove Rangers to Motherwell to Bologna within the same season haha. 

Definitely worth us making an offer if we haven't already, but if Bologna are actually interested then we will have absolutely no chance. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He’s 19 though how early can you gamble. 

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

They only recalled him from loan in January too. Some trajectory that - Cove Rangers to Motherwell to Bologna within the same season haha. 

Definitely worth us making an offer if we haven't already, but if Bologna are actually interested then we will have absolutely no chance. 

I know but thats how quick its happening, perhaps we have to let these types just fly. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan