• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dick Dastardly
7 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Anyhoo, The Sheffield Star is still referring to us as The Jammies.

The journalist has been emailed and informed of his silly mistake, in the nicest possible way. 

10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I was wrong about Snodgrass, so I'll suspend judgement on this one. Nice to see this get its own thread though as opposed to being wrapped up into some "super thread".

Snodgrass played at a much higher level though for years.

Not against Russell coming but he's not of that calibre imo.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Paterson injury would be ironic, if his time at Wednesday ended with a return to Hearts, much as his time ended with ourselves, Cathros worst bit of luck

Ricardo Quaresma
30 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

why? 33 years old and still scoring decent return as a winger

🤔

Woah when did Johnny Russel become 33!???!  When I first saw this I was thinking he was maybe 29/30.  Comes down to his conditioning I guess.  If he has a year in him at his near top level, he's a good signing.  We can't know that, sitting on JKB, can we!

We have Oda and you never know, maybe Kuol next season, hopefully Pollock or McLuckie promoted too.  I know he's not loved on here as a player, but we're losing GMS who I think is a good man around the camp from what I hear.  Perhaps we feel we need a solid type in those positions and Russel would fit the brief.  Back to the old Doddy days of a good mix of youth and experience, which I quite like.

Have Snoddy in beside Cam and Beni, have Shanks with any CFs we have, Russel with wingers, Craigy with the goalies, I guess Halks and Smith on defence.  Almost like having player coaches in each area, guys learning every day in training etc.  Maybe?

But gee whizz, Johnny Russel 33!!!  You'll be telling me next that Paul McStay and Eion Jess are no longer promising youngsters!

2 hours ago, CMc said:

Just sitting out the rest of the season down there to make sure he’s ready for pre-season with us?

But not before showing he's a really effective RWB!  The boy knows what he's doing.

58 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Johnny Russell.  Hope not.

Even at 32/33yo he is an immediate and significant improvement on GMS, Forrest, even Gino, and could easily play in the Championship down south. Should be in/around the Scotland squad and would put him at a similar level to Barrie McKay. Imagine having McKay on the left and another player at his level on the right? Would be frightening.

There were EPL sides looking for versatile backup players sniffing around him just last season... We'd be absolutely mad to turn our noses up at a home grown Scottish player of that calibre and I for one would be absolutely delighted if we signed him.

Edited by Batistuta87

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Even at 32/33yo he is an immediate and significant improvement on GMS, Forrest, even Gino, and could easily play in the Championship down south. Should be in/around the Scotland squad and would put him at a similar level to Barrie McKay. Imagine having McKay on the left and another player at his level on the right? Would be frightening.

There were EPL sides looking for versatile backup players sniffing around him just last season... We'd be absolutely mad to turn our noses up at a home grown Scottish player of that calibre and I for one would be absolutely delighted if we signed him.

100%
folk look at the age and immediately compare to Whelan, Naismith etc.

He’d be a brilliant addition to the squad

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

100%

Agree, age is an issue if he isn't fit but he is, very. And very rarely injured as well.

53 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Russell is good for our level (Scottish Premiership) on one hand, but on the other the game is completely different in the MLS, mainly due to the temperatures they play in meaning the game cannot be as fast paced.

Not sure we can accommodate how he plays anymore either, he kinda fits in a no.10 role as is no longer a traditional winger over there, so either he’s going to be shoe horned into a front three out wide which at his age he won’t have the pace for, or we put him up top which isn’t his game. He undoubtedly has the talent for this level, but considering we don’t really play a formation that suits him it would be an odd deal.

Like with other targets mentioned, it’s not about whether he’d be good enough, it would be whether or not he’d be worth the financial layout it may cost. Also, if we’re going to be in group stage European football again, I have my doubts whether or not he’d be considered a player to take us to the next level, which is something I really feel we need strides in this coming window.

Surely he's pretty much ideally suited to playing in a front 3 in the 3-4-3? The two players supporting the front man are more like inside forwards than wingers. Looks like he plays on the right of a 3 over there.

2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Surely he's pretty much ideally suited to playing in a front 3 in the 3-4-3? The two players supporting the front man are more like inside forwards than wingers. Looks like he plays on the right of a 3 over there.

Admittedly I’m not up to speed with MLS, but did watch a few late night games over the years and always look for players I recognise and how they do. Russell played well and is highly thought of over there, captain of the club. But I don’t recall him playing in a Ginnelly position or McKay position. Maybe he would be in the Shankland position, but then where do you play Shankland?

He seemed to me less of an inverted winger and more of a roaming player mostly on the right. But to be honest although I think people underestimate the quality of MLS, I still don’t think it’s a good indicator of how someone can play in our league. And yes, he’s Scottish and played years at United before going to England, but as with any player at the end of his career his style of play is significantly different and less reliant on pace. I agree with others that the Snodgrass comparison - although understandable - is not accurate given the different levels each player has played at.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The journalist has been emailed and informed of his silly mistake, in the nicest possible way. 

I hope you mentioned that we've been following 'Pato' during his time with the 'Too-Wit - Too-Woos'.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Admittedly I’m not up to speed with MLS, but did watch a few late night games over the years and always look for players I recognise and how they do. Russell played well and is highly thought of over there, captain of the club. But I don’t recall him playing in a Ginnelly position or McKay position. Maybe he would be in the Shankland position, but then where do you play Shankland?

He seemed to me less of an inverted winger and more of a roaming player mostly on the right. But to be honest although I think people underestimate the quality of MLS, I still don’t think it’s a good indicator of how someone can play in our league. And yes, he’s Scottish and played years at United before going to England, but as with any player at the end of his career his style of play is significantly different and less reliant on pace. I agree with others that the Snodgrass comparison - although understandable - is not accurate given the different levels each player has played at.

I don't know the specifics of his position over there, but I've always seen him as a clever forward who can finish. He wouldn't play in an identical way to any of our current options but, provided he hasn't completely gone off a cliff, he could easily play in that front three off the striker. I don't see pacy wide play as a requirement for it at all.

Of course whether he's past it in Scottish Premiership terms, I can't say.

2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I don't know the specifics of his position over there, but I've always seen him as a clever forward who can finish. He wouldn't play in an identical way to any of our current options but, provided he hasn't completely gone off a cliff, he could easily play in that front three off the striker. I don't see pacy wide play as a requirement for it at all.

He’s an upgrade on the players we’ve let go and GMS. So he’d improve the squad. So I’d take him for that reason. But it’s never as simple as that. Depends on what he’ll cost, and for me at least, I wouldn’t be overly impressed if he was brought in as a starter as that would mean we’re not looking to invest to improve much.

But then I had similar worries about Snodgrass, and although I’m not as much a fan of his as some are and feel sometimes we might benefit in certain games having a different midfield combination that would not involve him, he has obviously impressed. So maybe Russell would do the same. But I want us to push on this window. I feel last summer we improved, but not significantly. (Certain positions you could argue maybe we weren’t as strong as previous season)

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

Johnny Russell? Massively underwhelming news. 

This.

Past his best.

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

RustyRightPeg
22 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Plays off the right. Left footed obviously so operates in the spaces similar to what McKay does on the left. Offers way more of a goal threat. 

At 33, I’m sceptical about whether his legs have gone because he used to be rapid. He’s certainly not a GMS though - ability wise, and mental strength he’s way ahead of him. 

Tayside Jambo
On 08/02/2023 at 08:06, Bazzas right boot said:

Boyce will be back and Odua will hopefully be settled. 

I read that as Obua, and had horrible flashbacks!

45 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

100%

Totally agree. When you think of who he'd be replacing he is a massive, massive upgrade. 

16 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

This.

Past his best.

So is Snodgrass... 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Would take him. When you look at some of the players who might not be here next season - i.e. Humphrys, Gino, Kuol, GMS, Henderson, C. Smith depending on contract situations - we're going to need to replace them. McKinstry would be an ideal addition. One for the home grown contingent as well since his youth career started at Motherwell. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/johnny-russell/leistungsdaten/spieler/55494/plus/0?saison=2021

Had a full season last year (ignore 2021 on link, it is 2022), no injuries no suspensions, GMS out Johnny in, I'm not going to quibble either way, healthy looks solid, playing a big part still

This. 

Folk need to realise who he would be replacing - i.e. GMS - and on that front he is a massive, massive improvement. I'd put him ahead of Forrest and Gino as well, personally.

Dick Dastardly
35 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I hope you mentioned that we've been following 'Pato' during his time with the 'Too-Wit - Too-Woos'.

I wish i had. Next time I'm correcting a journalist I'm asking you for some advice first. 

10 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But his real name is Alexander, surely? If not his parents need an afternoon in a pillory. 

As long as the parents can spell and make it Xander then that's fine 

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

why? 33 years old and still scoring decent return as a winger

That's probably why. I'm on the fence myself. Was sceptical about GMS and Snodgrass, one proven correct and one incorrect. 

A guy I know tells me he is too bad now and that his personal life is a bit crazy , there was a mention of walking down the street with a pistol in his waist 

Naisys Tackle
16 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would take him. When you look at some of the players who might not be here next season - i.e. Humphrys, Gino, Kuol, GMS, Henderson, C. Smith depending on contract situations - we're going to need to replace them. McKinstry would be an ideal addition. One for the home grown contingent as well since his youth career started at Motherwell. 

Yeah that all makes perfect sense to me and would agree. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

A guy I know tells me he is too bad now and that his personal life is a bit crazy , there was a mention of walking down the street with a pistol in his waist 

Necessary for a trip to Walmart in the States, maybe less so in Wester Hailes, but advisory

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Believe me I know the origin of the name, hint is the first letter of my username🙂. My point was, where is the Z in AleXander🙂🙂 

It probably had a Z in originally, maybe the Russian or German spelling and then it became redundant. No real idea

Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Necessary for a trip to Walmart in the States, maybe less so in Wester Hailes, but advisory

There was mention of lootin and shootin too tbf 

Absolute Scenes
13 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's probably why. I'm on the fence myself. Was sceptical about GMS and Snodgrass, one proven correct and one incorrect. 

One played for the heights of Aberdeen

The other was a consistent EPL player

Age is not the factor to look at imo

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think he is a bit mad aye. I know he was getting threats from some of their fans and there was a rumour he'd been in a big scrap. Wasn't it him who jumped into the stand to confront someone giving him abuse as well? Could all be something to do with it. 

Wouldn't mind having a bit of a hot headed mad man playing for Hearts tbh. We've not had one in a while. 

Queue the "rid caird waiting ti happen" mob.

Edited by Batistuta87

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

What :lol: 

He’s a class act.

Don't get me wrong, he's clearly not a poor player, but I know a few Derby fans that weren't overly fussed he was leaving (although he was liked). That was when he was in his prime, and now we are potentially getting him at the age of 33 after a long holiday in the states.

I just think we can aim higher (that is also a sellable asset).

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Makes sense.

Jkb does have a thing with age, it's like folk turn 30 and at midnight everything fails.

They cannae see, run or kick a ball straight.

Gordon, zander, Smith, Snodgrass, Boyce all older and cracking players.

Also seems  a need to get players we can sell.

Very strange. 

A team needs. Mix of old heads and young players along with some in their peak.

We have a very good balance and managed that well.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

100%

Out of interest, based on what? He's had nowhere near the career Naismith had, or even Whelan tbh. It's half a decade since he played in the English Championship (the pinnacle of his career to date).

Not saying it would be bad by any means, for every Whelan there is a Snodgrass (albeit both played at another level to Russell)

Edited by Taffin

Easily comparable to Barrie McKay since they've both played in Scotland and England. Comparing goalscoring records, Russell quite simply blows McKay out of the water. 

Russell:

image.png.f29d05aa1f2d1371b5f2b98ebe6e49e4.png

McKay:

image.png.d48b7c8ee4ea89e609d6afa8bf5969b4.png

He's being looked down on because he's been playing in the MLS, simple as that. If we were being linked with any other winger who played in any other league in the world, with this goalscoring record, this place would be absolutely hoaching with ectoplasm and ceiling painting chat. Even if it was a number 9 penalty box striker with these numbers, folk would be reaching for the tissues. 

Edited by Batistuta87

9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Easily comparable to Barrie McKay since they've both played in Scotland and England. Comparing goalscoring records, Russell quite simply blows McKay out of the water. 

Russell:

image.png.f29d05aa1f2d1371b5f2b98ebe6e49e4.png

McKay:

image.png.d48b7c8ee4ea89e609d6afa8bf5969b4.png

He's being looked down on because he's been playing in the MLS, simple as that. If we were being linked with any other winger who played in any other league in the world, with this goalscoring record, this place would be absolutely hoaching with ectoplasm and ceiling painting chat. Even if it was a number 9 penalty box striker with these numbers, folk would be reaching for the tissues. 

Where he did it is surely a pretty key component though, no? Hardly surprising folk aren't exactly amazed by someone's MLS career 😂

A goal every 6 games in the Championship is okay, it would be poor for a number 9 though...I doubt anyone would be going mad for it.

One of McKay's biggest criticisms has been his lack of end product, especially in terms of goals, so not a high bar to overcome.

Better calibre 'aging' players have come here and flopped, some have thrived briefly. He could be either, but not getting the 'top player' chat...Derby County over 5 years ago, haud me back!

Edited by Taffin

Absolute Scenes
28 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Out of interest, based on what? He's had nowhere near the career Naismith had, or even Whelan tbh. It's half a decade since he played in the English Championship (the pinnacle of his career to date).

Not saying it would be bad by any means, for every Whelan there is a Snodgrass (albeit both played at another level to Russell)

i meant more their input and age - i.e.e Whelan was overall, underwhelming, and Naismith was brilliant in short bursts - but never reached the height we thought he would

Russell has remained major-injury free over his career, and despite what people make of the MLS, there is a hell of a lot more money there than in our leagues, meaning the calibre of player you could potentially face being higher - he is still playing consistently well for his age. Like Snodgrass was for Luton

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Where he did it is surely a pretty key component though, no? Hardly surprising folk aren't exactly amazed by someone's MLS career 😂

A goal every 6 games in the Championship is okay, it would be poor for a number 9 though...I doubt anyone would be going mad for it.

One of McKay's biggest criticisms has been his lack of end product, especially in terms of goals, so not a high bar to overcome.

Better calibre 'aging' players have come here and flopped, some have thrived briefly. He could be either, but not getting the 'top player' chat...Derby County over 5 years ago, haud me back!

His goalscoring record has always been a consistently decent return. He had a very healthy goalscoring in Scotland previously and is a miles better player now. However, goals alone aren't what make him stand out, his assist record is also very good. He's either scoring or creating a goal at a very healthy rate his whole career. 84 goal contributions in 165 games in the States is excellent and he doesn't seem to be on the decline significantly. The MLS is a varying standard, but it's not a million miles from our level. I'd say it's miles better than the A-League which is a market we've had success in.

Naismith was a "better calibre" ageing player but was already on the slide at Norwich or we'd have gotten nowhere near him. Unless his form falls off a cliff dramatically he'd be a very good signing.  

All that said I can't see it happening.

image.png.bd504ef971d790ced316b13f13966c2d.png

9 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It probably had a Z in originally, maybe the Russian or German spelling and then it became redundant. No real idea

1447519869_51kiLe4hEaL._SY291_BO1204203200_QL40_ML2_.jpg.e08eb915d1b44972057add649386aefe.jpg

8 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

i meant more their input and age - i.e.e Whelan was overall, underwhelming, and Naismith was brilliant in short bursts - but never reached the height we thought he would

Russell has remained major-injury free over his career, and despite what people make of the MLS, there is a hell of a lot more money there than in our leagues, meaning the calibre of player you could potentially face being higher - he is still playing consistently well for his age. Like Snodgrass was for Luton

5 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

His goalscoring record has always been a consistently decent return. He had a very healthy goalscoring in Scotland previously and is a miles better player now. However, goals alone aren't what make him stand out, his assist record is also very good. He's either scoring or creating a goal at a very healthy rate his whole career. 84 goal contributions in 165 games in the States is excellent and he doesn't seem to be on the decline significantly. The MLS is a varying standard, but it's not a million miles from our level. I'd say it's miles better than the A-League which is a market we've had success in.

Naismith was a "better calibre" ageing player but was already on the slide at Norwich or we'd have gotten nowhere near him. Unless his form falls off a cliff dramatically he'd be a very good signing.  

All that said I can't see it happening.

image.png.bd504ef971d790ced316b13f13966c2d.png

Good posts, as I say I'm absolutely not against it. I'll view him as any player we sign:

- hope he's great 

- not make up my mind until he's played a round of fixtures 

👍👍

Just (for me) a guy at 33 with the English Championship as his peak before then 5 years in the MLS doesn't get the juices flowing is all. He might be absolutely magic, fingers crossed!

42 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Hit all the same numbers in Scotland and England as he has in the US though so that proves he can do it here. I would also argue that playing for KC in the MLS, being a key player and then becoming their captain is much more impressive than playing for Fleetwood Town (McKay's last club) - who would likely get pumped off any MLS side. 

I don't think anyone is saying he's going to come here and be an absolute superstar, but if he is coming I have no doubt that he'll be a good signing and will be a very useful player. As I've said on several occasions, GMS out and JR in is an excellent swap and a huge upgrade. 

Edited by Batistuta87

AlphonseCapone
5 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

One played for the heights of Aberdeen

The other was a consistent EPL player

Age is not the factor to look at imo

Maybe not but I do think how age impacts people is massively down to how you look after your body and partly down to genetics and luck. I'd say there is more risk these things can not work out but equally bigger reward in terms of experience and value for money. 

I'm not against the signing necessarily btw but do get some of the concerns.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We probably need to improvise to get some good quality Scottish “grown” players in our squad for Europe - but also capable of performing  to a top level in the league.

At the moment I am guessing that includes 30 somethings still performing at a high level.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan