***Rangers v Heart of Midlothian*** Match Thread

Scott Leitch

I’ve seen too many good Hearts sides collapse in Glasgow to have any expectations at all. If we get any kind of result, fantastic. If we get cuffed, meh.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• tian447

• Naisys Tackle

• Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Nah……can’t see it 

I was hesitant about posting that line.  😂.    What I meant was it's not a sure Rangers win with their backline.   It's not exactly a sure win for us either.   Maybe a draw 🤔 😂 

Edited by HMFC01

Exile fae Main Street

Sorry to be the Harbinger of Doom, but how many times have we gone to Ipox in these circumstances....only to be sent back along the M8 wi oor tails atween oor legs...would like this to be different, but we can't buy a clean sheet for love nor money! They're hurting, a sore one 4-1 tae the Huns..

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

They're just not the same without Bassey and Aribo, both of whom absolutely tortured us last season. I rate GVB but their fans don't and I hope they chase him off. Let's help that happen and maybe they'll bring in a shitehawk and we can pip them for 2nd.

4-3-3 that can flex into the 4-1-4-1 if we get cheeky for me.

Z

Natty Toby Rowles Cochrane

Kio  Dev  Halliday

Gino   Shanks  Humphrys

Swap Rowles for Halkett at 60' to keep from wearing either one of them out. Haring on for Halliday late as well. McKay will probably be up for playing Rangers so while I think he could use a spell out of the team, maybe this one isn't the one to sit him on.

14 minutes ago, The Gorgie Glorious said:

First goal will be important. If we manage to score first I can see them imploding with the atmosphere turning toxic. Let's get into them from the get go.

7 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I’ve seen too many good Hearts sides collapse in Glasgow to have any expectations at all. If we get any kind of result, fantastic. If we get cuffed, meh.

All fair

28 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

They're just not the same without Bassey and Aribo, both of whom absolutely tortured us last season. I rate GVB but their fans don't and I hope they chase him off. Let's help that happen and maybe they'll bring in a shitehawk and we can pip them for 2nd.

Z

Kio  Dev  Halliday

Gino   Shanks  Humphrys

Swap Rowles for Halkett at 60' to keep from wearing either one of them out. Haring on for Halliday late as well. McKay will probably be up for playing Rangers so while I think he could use a spell out of the team, maybe this one isn't the one to sit him on.

Snoddy mate

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I was hesitant about posting that line.  😂.    What I meant was it's not a sure Rangers win with their backline.   It's not exactly a sure win for us either.   Maybe a draw 🤔 😂 

After a review of your post…..I actually think you might be right 😆

4 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Trying to find optimism here.   Best I've got is we played Celtic at their ground this season.  We eventually got beat but gave them a tough match.   No VAR in that game so we might get some luck this time. 

I think we'll lose.   The team's possibly spent quite some energy playing Motherwell.   Some players might have knocks, minor injuries.   Rowles not 100% match fit I would guess.   We need to rotate as well, I'm presuming since we have Livingston on Saturday and these games are too closely scheduled. 

Rangers are definitely vulnerable but  so are we at times.   This game could end up either way or a draw. 

We might lose but Aberdeen and Hibs could lose on Tuesday as well.  That would be good.  

Well, that's more or less every eventuality taken care of. Don't suppose you've ever thought about an alternative career as a BBC weatherman?😄

If St ****ing Johnstone can put a couple of goals past them and win the game, then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for us to think we can't do better than that.

Rangers are ****ing rotten at the minute.  They didn't just get humiliated in Europe, they went out of their way to do so badly that their record as the worst performance in the Group Stages is almost impossible to beat.

We need to be going there on Wednesday night and actually putting in a shift.  Get in their faces and play with the same intensity and aggression we are capable of.  If we go a goal up against them, their fans will turn on them, and they are absolute bottle merchants under pressure.  It is absolutely top priority to get the first goal, and get it quickly.  Their manager is under pressure, and they are already moon howling about getting rid of him.

We are more than capable of beating that shower, and it's the first time in years that we've been able to comfortably say it.

Takeshi kovac
9 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Clark

Smith Sibbick Rowles

Atkinson                     Cochrane

Devlin    Snodgrass

Gino                        Forrest

Shankland

Would give Gordon Halliday and McKay a few days off and back in for Livi on sat.

Take Smith out and go with a back 4, add kio in midfield and I would be happy with that lineup

Although Halliday doesn’t deserve to be dropped , getting harder to pick a first 11 with the injured players coming back

Edited by Takeshi kovac

5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Scott Leitch gets a boner everytime he submits a match thread a week before kick off. Pass it on.

How many days are there in your weeks? 3?

stirlingshirejambo
3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Although it annoys me I guess I have to accept we may lose in Wednesday. But if we are going to lose I hope it results from us at least trying to win instead of just accepting we will lose because it is one of the OF. Lets go out and play to our best instead of sitting off them and watching them play to their best.

Does anyone know if there are problems with the roads going through to Glasgow ?

Sure remember the Kingston bridge was a nightmare on way to killie and often flooded too Hope to god they sort the exit from the car park. Was nearly an hour last time and even then had go through town as couldn’t get on M8, my hope is good result for us they all leave early and we can skoosh out and be home before midnight

Exile fae Main Street
41 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Z

Kio  Dev  Halliday

Gino   Shanks  Humphrys

Er.... Aribo and Bassey were away when they humped 4-0 at Tynie this season....

Gordon

M.Smith Neilson/Halkett Rowles Cochrane.

Kio; Devlin; Snodgrass; Halliday.

Humphrys/Gino Shanks. 4-4-2

Anyone thinking this will be a stroll or they are crap etc, might be in for shock. We have been here before and dealt a harsh lesson, ask Aberdeen two weeks ago.

We do have a chance if we get in about them and get the crowd unsettled ….Anyway always hope for the best and expect the worst at either Ibrox or Parkhead 

16 minutes ago, fila said:

Anyone thinking this will be a stroll or they are crap etc, might be in for shock. We have been here before and dealt a harsh lesson, ask Aberdeen two weeks ago.

We do have a chance if we get in about them and get the crowd unsettled ….Anyway always hope for the best and expect the worst at either Ibrox or Parkhead 

Anyone who thinks that the St Johnston game is an indicator of what will happen on Wednesday is deluded, StJohston got lucky as the stats show, and if we can get a draw we will have done very well.  If anyone had offered me three points over these two games on Sunday with ten minutes to go I would have bitten their hands off, as it is we've already got the three points so we're ahead of expectations.

27 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

Er.... Aribo and Bassey were away when they humped 4-0 at Tynie this season....

Gordon

M.Smith Neilson/Halkett Rowles Cochrane.

Kio; Devlin; Snodgrass; Halliday.

Humphrys/Gino Shanks. 4-4-2

We had Neilson and Kingsley as our CHs in the first half then Neilson and Cochrane at CH in the second, Kio was still looking lost at the time, and we played over half the game with 10 men. 4-0 was hardly shocking given the circumstances.

We can always take a humping off them but we were in the middle of the injury cyclone at the time. They still aren't half the team they were last spring.

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Anyone who thinks that the St Johnston game is an indicator of what will happen on Wednesday is deluded, StJohston got lucky as the stats show, and if we can get a draw we will have done very well.  If anyone had offered me three points over these two games on Sunday with ten minutes to go I would have bitten their hands off, as it is we've already got the three points so we're ahead of expectations.

They're clearly not shite but they are looking dysfunctional and it's a good time to be playing them. I'd put even odds on us getting a result of some sort which is better than I'd usually appraise it going to Ibrox.

I said before the five league matches from Celtic through the WC break, we needed 7 points minimum. We have six with two games to go. Being greedy, any result at Ibrox and a win against Livingston and we're almost certainly fourth at the WC break with 4 OF games done out of just 15 total. Being really greedy, if we somehow manage a win at Ibrox, they're headed to Celtic park next, and we could be three points out of second at the WC break.

:vrwow:

We_are_the_Hearts

People getting carried away. As bad as Rangers are they are still good at Ibrox. We are not good enough at present to go there and get a result. Our away form still needs a big improvement. Happy to be proved wrong. 

Any idea on how many are left? Was in before the game yesterday getting my ticket and there was some left.

Hopefully the win against Motherwell will get a few more tickets shifted. 

mickycameron98

Had a look over in the bear pit, they're mostly all dreading the game and fearing more dropped points. Not just kickback that goes into meltdown after a couple bad results. Joking aside, their confidence is low and the players will feel that echoing through the stands if they take a while to break us down. 

If we can be aggressive & Snodgrass is able to organise prompt & direct us when we are shutting them down, then who knows, we might be able to stop them getting into their rhythm. If it was at home I would fancy us. But in Glasgow, it's a big ask. Same kind of attitude we had against Celtic should give us a chance. Please just keep 11 on the park for a start. A win would be HUUUGE!! Is it too much to hope for? Rowles will make a difference,  Cochrane in his favoured LB role linking with Mackay. I fancy Shankland to score, it's just down to how we defend.  Please don't start with two wide men in midfield, we need to have a 3 in the middle. Play Gino up on their last man if need be. 

Edited by tiger Rudi

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Z

Kio  Dev  Halliday

Gino   Shanks  Humphrys

Its really tough trying to pick a team, I think dropping Gordon is risky. We're leaking goals but with Rowles back, that might be the steadying influence we've needed for months. I'd be tempted to hold off bringing Zander Clark in until we're in the early stages of the Scottish cup. 

On board with dropping McKay to the bench, if there is one thing we should have learned by now is that McKay doesn't do big games. He's been less than useless each time we've played the OF and I think Snodgrass is a big factor in the uptick in our recent forward play. I'd have been tempted to play Snodgrass ahead of Kio and bring Kio on for Halliday later in the game. Perfect sort of game for Humphrys and Gino though if both fit. Think Humphrys running at the Rangers back 4 could cause them problems. Likewise, the space Gino is likely to get will be good. Atkinson or Smith is a tough one. I do not enjoy watching Smith play, he takes the safe ball every time and its sometimes an attack killer. That said, he's sound defensively and We're likely to need the experience. 

From what I remember of the initial game, they set up and counter attacked us at Tynie, and I wonder they'll set up to do that again?

I think whatever happens, its likely to be a tough ask. We're not going to have the referee doing us any favours, so important we don't give him any decisions to make and avoid unforced errors. I'd maybe go:

Gordon

Smith Toby Rowles Cochrane

Devlin

Gino Snodgrass Halliday Humphrys

Shankland

Despite all our trials and tribulations this season, we could be in 3rd place when we kick off against Livingston on Saturday.  Not saying we will be but we could be and the players will know that.

Terrific position to be in despite the heavy schedule of games and the injuries.

7 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Spot on  

9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Z

Kio  Dev  Halliday

Gino   Shanks  Humphrys

Swap Kio for Snoddy and I’m onboard with this team👍. Don’t think you could leave RS out after Sunday 

22 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Just glad I’ll be finished work before the game starts :lol: (I drive a bus through Govan)

Wish some one would drive a tank through there

Rangers and Celtic always seem to raise their game against us or more often than not we crumble. 

Maybe sneak a draw but I think it's going to be tough especially after such a hectic schedule and playing the majority of the last game with 10 men.

If we can get at least 3 points from these final 2 games then I'll be happy as it should put us in a good place for when we resume in December with a squad that should be raring to go with only 1 or 2 out.

I have already posted my comment on this thread but someone needs to shut down the Hearts v Motherwell thread!!!!

18 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Scott Leitch gets a boner everytime he submits a match thread a week before kick off. Pass it on.

What on earth are you on about? I started a match thread what 3 days before the game. Relax hughesie27. All is good in the world. 

16 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yeah mate, with our record of defending crosses recently (though tbf it was miles better yesterday) that would spell disaster if it got anywhere near that. 

One thing is that we've come from a goal down to win at Ross County & then yesterdays heroic performance, it's showing that we've finally got some minerals about us, aren't lying down to anyone & we're also being more aggressive. Whether it's enough for Wed night we'll see, but I'd rip yer mitt off for a point. 

GORGIE RULES. 

Aye, a point would be great, and we could get it if we show the balls we have lately.

Never expect anything at that shithole but always live in hope.

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

If we play with guts and determination like sunday we will leave with something, 

Precisely. We ought to ditch this free hit not expected to take anything aura we seem to have about these games. 38 league matches a season and we’re writing off 8 of them before we even start. We’ll possibly drop to bottom 6 again this week if we get beat, so that’s not a free hit, it’s loser mentality. 

Will Robbie go with a more attacking mentality ?

The Hun are hurting but we all know how this film usually ends.

Would be ecstatic with a point.

Gordon (Clark ?)

Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Kio Devlin Halliday

Snodgrass

Ginnelly  Shanks

The 4-0 at Tynie was painful. We didn’t turn up at all. This will be a test of whether we have truly come through our dodgy spell or not. If we go there and play as we started and finished v Well, maybe there is a chance. If we retreat into our shells as we usually do in Glasgow, it’ll be a long evening.

John Beaton being given a game at Ibrox where the beleaguered home team desperately needs a win? I’m shocked, I tell you.

*Scurries off to check odds on red card for Hearts*

16 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

I think that sums it up for me.

3 hours ago, Mirror said:

Rangers and Celtic always seem to raise their game against us or more often than not we crumble. 

Maybe sneak a draw but I think it's going to be tough especially after such a hectic schedule and playing the majority of the last game with 10 men.

If we can get at least 3 points from these final 2 games then I'll be happy as it should put us in a good place for when we resume in December with a squad that should be raring to go with only 1 or 2 out.

:kirk:

5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

A classic "send for Hearts if in trouble game"

A 2-0 defeat

:facepalm: I hate that. Seen it far too many times over the decades. I fear you're right but I hope we are both wrong!

Ex member of the SaS

Get the forwards and mids to get stuck in to their defensive players and stop them playing out from the back, Too often we sit too deep allowing them to walk up beyond half way and chip the ball into the box. By keeping all our players in our own half it allows them to flood our half/box increasing their chances of a goal. Tackle their defenders and when we steal the ball, it's a short run to their box and a possible shot/goal. We sit back and when we do get the ball there is no out ball, and they pick up and attack all over again. Have faith in our abilities and get them fired up, they are there for the taking, if you don't do what every other team does and that is trying to defend and not lose a goal in the first 20 minutes.

VagabondJambo
8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Get the forwards and mids to get stuck in to their defensive players and stop them playing out from the back, Too often we sit too deep allowing them to walk up beyond half way and chip the ball into the box. By keeping all our players in our own half it allows them to flood our half/box increasing their chances of a goal. Tackle their defenders and when we steal the ball, it's a short run to their box and a possible shot/goal. We sit back and when we do get the ball there is no out ball, and they pick up and attack all over again. Have faith in our abilities and get them fired up, they are there for the taking, if you don't do what every other team does and that is trying to defend and not lose a goal in the first 20 minutes.

Exactly this . . . and right from the off!

We also need to put pressure on McGregor every time he has the ball at his feet.  He panics easily.

18 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Z

Kio  Dev  Halliday

Gino   Shanks  Humphrys

How are you leaving Snodgrass out after Sunday?